A Missed Opportunity. Big Time.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

A Missed Opportunity. Big Time.

As we all bathe in the warm inner glow of playing finals footy, for the first time in a long time, let’s unpack a couple of home truths.

Yes, it was the craziest footy season ever. Yes, it was tough on the players to be in a hub away from family and friends. Yes, Yes, Yes.

But it’s a big no from me on how we ended the season.

Shane Crawford got it right when he said we didn’t apply enough pressure and we rested on our laurels.

Our players approached that semi-final as if they had already achieved their end goal which was to be good enough to play in one.

Someone should have told them it’s only half the story.

You need to win it and that is where we let ourselves down. Badly.

I love our coach. I love what he’s done with this playing group. I love how we recruited well and got some real leg speed into the team.

But there are two persistent, glaring weaknesses in my view. Mental toughness and the lack of a plan B.

Irrespective of the Covid madness, every footy season, is in fact two seasons in one. The regular footy season and the finals.

Neither bears much resemblance to the other. If you are good enough to play finals footy, all that means is you get to start your season all over again.

And depending where you end up on the ladder, like where we were, there are no second chances.

I, briefly, held the fantasy that we were going to be the 2016 Bulldogs. Every game they played was on the line. And every game they played, they found a way to win, including the Grand Final.

But there was no way, we were going to be the 2016 Bulldogs. We simply don’t have that mental toughness.

Unless we find that mental toughness, we’re going nowhere near a premiership, in my view.

Secondly, no plan B.

Yes, we play a great band of fast moving, attacking footy. But the good clubs do their homework. They have a plan to counter the way we play.

The Tigers did.

They are battle hardened, finals footy veterans. They were not going to let an opportunity slip and they didn’t.

They countered the way we play. They nullified guys who were proven match winners for us in the past. They had a plan and it worked for them.

But when the opposition does their homework on us, we don’t seem to have a plan to counter their plan.

We simply don’t have that flexibility.

Maybe if we recruit some more midfield grunt, it will make a difference. But that is my worry going forward.

I am not trying to minimise our achievements this year. or the difficulties all clubs faced in 2020.

Our improvement was enormous compared to 2019. And everyone deserves a pat on the back.

I just think, we also had an enormous opportunity presented to us and we didn’t take it. And I’m a bit sad we didn’t.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Missed Opportunity. Big Time.

I call bulls***.

Lost our point of difference through injury which basically threw our whole team and structure out. Then to lose Carlisle on top of that it was a bridge to far. The fact we were 17 points down in the last is acknowledgement this team has what it takes.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Condsidering the results were heavily compromised and many teams were competing most weeks on a very uneven playing field, there are positives to our development as a group.

I always considered this a gap year and a practice run for when full strength competition starts again.

We got through it and learnt a few things along the way, and the boys got to bond on and all expenses paid surf camp for a few months.

Bring on 2021.
Last edited by Vortex on Mon 12 Oct 2020 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The only waste was that we kicked ourselves out of it but, in general play early - we were walloped. The only thing we could've done was crack in harder perhaps. We had 10 tackles in a half - weird - normally we're way better. They took their chances and we were deer in the headlights. Personally, I think we did as well as we could. Massive, massive gulf in class and I do really think you're being a bit hard. I don't think we're anywhere near the Tigers class. What Fri night exposed was that we don't yet have the depth to cover significant injuries/omissions. Remember also that Richmond has been the best team for 4 years.

Next year - I'd expect us to rise and be next year be competitive in games like Friday night with now all of our players having played one or two finals. Remember that in 2016 - most of the Dogs players had already played in a final the year before in 2015. Have a look at the Pies - they didn't show up at all and they have a much better credentialed and experienced team than ours.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Rocket
Club Player

Agree in part. Need to take chances and not accept close enough. That needs to a mandate.

However ....The Tigers were 99% full strength as opposed to us with 4 of our best not playing. You drop Gresham, Ryder, Carlisle and Long in, different story. Flip side take our chances and we are in that game. They lost confidence. We had 7-9 passengers (Lonie, Kent, King, Hill, Billings, Membrey, Jones). Same time they kicked straight, balls went their way. It was their night. We had virtually no luck barring that one Butler kicked on siren.

The positive we would have been 100-1 at start of season to be in a position to play Richmond in a knock out final ....

We are not far away and will be much better for the experience.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Injury.

Missed shots at goal.

They did enough. But in the end they didnt.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 10:13am Agree in part. Need to take chances and not accept close enough. That needs to a mandate.

However ....The Tigers were 99% full strength as opposed to us with 4 of our best not playing. You drop Gresham, Ryder, Carlisle and Long in, different story. Flip side take our chances and we are in that game. They lost confidence. We had 7-9 passengers (Lonie, Kent, King, Hill, Billings, Membrey, Jones). Same time they kicked straight, balls went their way. It was their night. We had virtually no luck barring that one Butler kicked on siren.

The positive we would have been 100-1 at start of season to be in a position to play Richmond in a knock out final ....

We are not far away and will be much better for the experience.
Harsh on Jones. Copped a back injury early in the 2nd from that see you next tuesday tiger captain.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Crawford is the last person I would take notice of.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Richmond had a host of speculative shots at goal in the first half that all sailed through. They couldn't miss. Typically, those shots have a 50% return, yet they had a 100% return. Everything they did worked in that first half. In general play we were with them and at times had control of things. Centre clearances killed us, though. Jones and Steele were held by their opponents at every one of them, and not just a slight tug of the jumper. If the umpires had been vigilant, we would have got a few free kicks in the centre. When we went forward we missed sitters, unable to put scoreboard pressure on them. Unfortunately, Marshall's centre bounce ruck work was his poorest for the year.

A lot of people want to paint the performance as a disaster. I didn't see it that way at all. We weren't far off. Prior to the game we lost three key players and they gained one. If those three players had taken the field and Josh Battle was fit, I reckon we would have taken them.

To lambast our team's effort, and to take such a negative view of it is a cliched reaction that gets pretty tiresome.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I doubt that few would think that our players as team could not have better on the night.

HOWEVER the OP seems to ignore that also on the night that:

- Richmond were extremely up and about (so is our best currently better than Richmond's best?)
- Richmond had close to their best 22 if not their best 22 . Whereas we were missing 3 core players (Paddy, Carlisle and Gresh) an one best 22 in Long
- Richmond's goal accuracy for the first 3 quarters was their best all year , whereas ours was dreadful. 10.4 vs 5.11
- That goal review!

So yes our players were down, but Richmond was way up. We got them at their best. So YES that is a final's lesson for al of our players.

Plan B. We altered how we were playing in the third quarter.

MATCHWINNERS; We as a team still lack those players who can turn games our way. Paddy arguably did it against the Dogs. King may do it in time, but not if he keeps missing shots like he does. That last behind he he kicked, which was an easy shot, could have gotten us right back in it.

I do agree that we cannot rest on our laurels. Our offield team have a huge task this draft/trade period.

If we look at teams outside the 8:
- GWS. Have a huge amount of talent. Could easily go past us next season if they got their house in order (hopefully they will not)
- Blues- If they land Degoey, Williams and Saad hat will potentially make them a lot better.
-Dees: Only just below us. Add Brown and consistency and they could go past us.

In the 8:
Then Dogs: They will be desperate to improve their deficiencies (may or may not of course).Port and Lions have plenty of good youth. Tiges will stay thereabouts. Cats may add Cameron Crouch, and so while will be old will have a lot of good talent still.

Even the Suns could be a wildcard in 2021. Their young talent is exceptional. Just add some more old hands and watch out.

To be a threat in 2021 we need to get better still, and just relying on it to come from our existing youth will not be enough.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
YoungGeorge
Club Player

I think the OP makes some good points, the main one being mental toughness.
There were many times in the season where we seemed bereft of on-field leadership. When the time came for someone to stand up and stop the flow, no one except possibly Jack Steele had the capacity to do it.
Hence the excruciating losses to North, Freo, WC - fade out against Dogs....I could go on.
Without inside knowledge of players character or resilience it's unfair to single individuals out but it seems we could do with recruiting some extremely tough characters.
Guys who by force of personality and desire can impose themselves on a contest.
I know the likes of Cunnington, Ward, Selwood, Hodge etc, dont grow on trees though.

damienc
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 3:07pm Richmond had a host of speculative shots at goal in the first half that all sailed through. They couldn't miss. Typically, those shots have a 50% return, yet they had a 100% return. Everything they did worked in that first half. In general play we were with them and at times had control of things. Centre clearances killed us, though. Jones and Steele were held by their opponents at every one of them, and not just a slight tug of the jumper. If the umpires had been vigilant, we would have got a few free kicks in the centre. When we went forward we missed sitters, unable to put scoreboard pressure on them. Unfortunately, Marshall's centre bounce ruck work was his poorest for the year.

A lot of people want to paint the performance as a disaster. I didn't see it that way at all. We weren't far off. Prior to the game we lost three key players and they gained one. If those three players had taken the field and Josh Battle was fit, I reckon we would have taken them.

To lambast our team's effort, and to take such a negative view of it is a cliched reaction that gets pretty tiresome.
Cliched reaction? Get a grip.

damienc
Club Player

Interesting that so many, now see Paddy Ryder as crucial to our on field success.

Of course they are right.

But that wasn't always the case.

I can't help but remember, not so fondly, quite a few here thought we made a huge mistake when we first recruited Paddy.

Not mentioning any names, but you know who you are.

Too old they said. A has been they said. Well past his best.

Conveniently forgetting his AA credentials.

Also pleased that, at age 32, Paddy is still showing why he is one of the best, if not the best tap ruckman in the AFL.

But if he had played, I very much doubt the result would be any different. Same for Carlisle and Long, had they played.

damienc
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 2:10pm Crawford is the last person I would take notice of.
Good for you.

damienc
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 9:36am I call bulls***.

Lost our point of difference through injury which basically threw our whole team and structure out. Then to lose Carlisle on top of that it was a bridge to far. The fact we were 17 points down in the last is acknowledgement this team has what it takes.
Yes. No.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:06pm Interesting that so many, now see Paddy Ryder as crucial to our on field success.

I can't help but remember, not so fondly, quite a few here thought we made a huge mistake when we first recruited Paddy.

Also pleased that, at age 32, Paddy is still showing why he is one of the best, if not the best tap ruckman in the AFL.

But if he had played, I very much doubt the result would be any different. Same for Carlisle and Long, had they played.
Who died and made you Mark Robinson.

damienc
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:11pm
damienc wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:06pm Interesting that so many, now see Paddy Ryder as crucial to our on field success.

Used to write footy for Age sport back in the day, if that is a help.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:13pm

Until Robbo came along I'm guessing. The bloke is football genius.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Aq Q

2 goals from 7 easy set shots didn't help.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:20pm
Aq Q

2 goals from 7 easy set shots didn't help.
No. It didn't.

damienc
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:17pm

Thirty seven years ago to be precise. So I doubt it, unless Robbo is my age. You left out the 'a' before football genius. :D

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:28pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:17pm

Thirty seven years ago to be precise. So I doubt it, unless Robbo is my age. You left out the 'a' before football genius. :D
Haha...nice. always the journo. As you were scribe.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes I was one that doubted that Paddy would be good and was worried about his interfering with the development of Marshall as a ruckman. However I was very much in support of him being acquired as steak knives in the Howard deal as cheap and proven back up ruck.

In terms of Paddy's worth as the season went I he certainly exceeded my, and everyone else's, expectations including our coaches. Ryder lost a lot of weight, and also got a lot fitter than he had been at Port recently.

So Ryder wound back the clock and we gained the ""younger"" version of Ryder and not the "2019" one.

As the year went on the Ryder/Marshall combination worked exception well.

However it is also probably fair to say that Marshall's tapwork did not improve this season, and so his lack of rucktime may have caused that aspect of his development to stagnate. Now Ryder is good enough to play at least one more season, perhaps two, and so this year or next it probably will not matter. But the club and Marshall do need to improve his tapwork for as we saw against Nankervis his tapwork is not currently of the quality to be in the best few rucks in the AFL, and will need to get better for when he resumes the No 1 ruck mantle. Paddy has clearly demonstrated this year what an advantage it is who can feed his mids well.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 13 Oct 2020 3:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
asiu
Saintsational Legend

momentum

we had none of it from the time paddy went down
longy went out ‘n snowy went home

game time was a continuation

a brutal week
especially given
that it was ‘such’ a missed opportunity

what we didn’t miss
will drive the boys into the next stanza

keep building
eye on the pill

thanx Saints
thanx Sainters

may i still be on the top side of the grass
this time next year
enjoying our stella performance in ‘21

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

When you said you were dreaming of a Doggies 2016 Flag in 2020 the circumstances apart from ladder positions were chalk & cheese. Whilst the week's break allowed the Dogs to get key players back, we had no such luxury. In fact we lost key players for varying reasons.

We had a player suspended for not knocking someone out, they had a player given a green light to play in a GF after knocking a player out.

We will never go an entire Finals series on the right side of the free kick ledger.

Nice to dream but never going to happen unfortunately so in light of all that I believe our H&A plus finals were very good for where our list & coaches are at.

We do have a plan B, Clarko whinged about it, it is just a work in progress. Let's hope it is the opposition that need plan B's going forward because if we add a mid or two plus another forward then our plan A begins to look formidable.