What players are we likely to get in the trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

What players are we likely to get in the trade

I was hoping we would pick up a Key back who is tall as a backup to Dougal and Carlisle (if he stays) and also another key forward and a mid who would we trade out to get them. We also need a ruck for back up if the 2 boys go down i would get a experienced one and draft one as well. Saying that why did we cut Abbot then? Not many rucks around right now.
Maybe Dunstan, hind, savage like to keep Phillips and lonie but we need picks.thanks

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What players are we likely to get in the trade

You've gotta give something to get something. Last season we offloaded Bruce, Steven and Acres, all best 22 at the time. Players like Newnes, Longer and White had no trade value.

Savage, Webster, Roberton and Dunstan seem obvious trade options, but with a combined 4 games between them in 2020, I can't see much value there.

It's also hard to see any of Phillips, Parker, Hind, McKenzie or Joyce attracting any interest.

Ross, Lonie, Sinclair and Billings seem the most likely to attract reasonable value, and appear the only replaceable members of our best 22-25. That said, the offer would have to be to good to refuse to let any of them go.

Outside that, Gresham is probably the only other tradable player of value we have. Not saying I'd trade him, not at all, but I believe the club would listen to offers.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Mids, mids and more mids.

That's where games are won and lost these days, you can cover poor backlines and forwardlines if you have a gun midfield. But lucky for us I think we're set in those two areas anyway.

Just need some more guns in the middle.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Winmar7
Club Player

Midfield should be the focus, but if we lose Carlisle (hope not) we'll need another big defender, the WCE game was evidence of that.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We have pick 15 in play? Not a strong hand, so trading out some players will have to be part of whatever we try to achieve. If we packaged up a couple of players to North Melbourne, would they bite (Savage, Dunstan, Webster, Mckenzie)? At best, we'd be looking at maybe a couple of second round picks back. Primarily, we need two midfielders and another ruck. An additional key position player might be on the wish list, too.

Bottom line is we have a worse hand than we had last year. Bruce and Steven gave us a useable pick and a throwaway pick. We'd definitely need to trade out some players this year to get even 3/5 of what we achieved last year. We have a smart team running the show at the moment, but, gee, they'll have to be very creative this year. It'll be fascinating.

Gershwin
Club Player

I want Crouch and Caldwell and will give up pick 15, Billings and future picks.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:05am I want Crouch and Caldwell and will give up pick 15, Billings and future picks.
Crouch is a free agent, so you would give up pick 15, Billings and future picks for a kid who can't get a regular game with a side we beat?

Madness. :roll: :roll:

Laurie
Club Player

Definitely woild throw up Billings for trade pmus a high pick if the right deal can be struck for us to get a Caldwell or Taranto .

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

No chance of us trading billings.

25 year old best 22 player with scope to be a top 10 player who did not have a bad season. Not what many expected or hoped for but not disgraceful by any means.

Gresham even less chance of being traded.

Savage, Lonie, Hind, McKenzie, Ross, Dunstan, Webster, Parker, Roberton, Sinclair and Phillips are the ones were likely to look at trading.

Given that hand and our desire to add to the midfield I'd suggest savage and Lonie are the most likely to be traded along with draft picks.

Free agents/older players are our likely source of players unless it is a draft pick + dunstan and another player above type situation for a younger midfielder.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

We need miss more than anything. Crouch for now and Caldwell for the future would do me.
Our first as a straight swap should be enough for Caldwell. Wouldn't leave much to take to the draft though.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

remboy wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:40am We need miss more than anything. Crouch for now and Caldwell for the future would do me.
Our first as a straight swap should be enough for Caldwell. Wouldn't leave much to take to the draft though.

This is my thoughts too.

Then you can trade around the edges. Savage, Lonie and co for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks or ruck depth etc.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:40am No chance of us trading billings.

25 year old best 22 player with scope to be a top 10 player who did not have a bad season. Not what many expected or hoped for but not disgraceful by any means.

Savage, Lonie, Hind, McKenzie, Ross, Dunstan, Webster, Parker, Roberton, Sinclair and Phillips are the ones were likely to look at trading.

Given that hand and our desire to add to the midfield I'd suggest savage and Lonie are the most likely to be traded along with draft picks.

Free agents/older players are our likely source of players unless it is a draft pick + dunstan and another player above type situation for a younger midfielder.
11th in best and fairest too.

No chance Ross will be traded either.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 11:20am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:40am No chance of us trading billings.

11th in best and fairest too.

No chance Ross will be traded either.
Skilful player and has been filling the gaps this season like Members - a lot less showy than the opportunities given to the blow-ins.

Gershwin
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:15am
Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:05am I want Crouch and Caldwell and will give up pick 15, Billings and future picks.
Crouch is a free agent, so you would give up pick 15, Billings and future picks for a kid who can't get a regular game with a side we beat?

Madness. :roll: :roll:
Crouch will cost us money/salary so I thought we could save ourselves some money by trading Billings. Caldwell was a pick 11 and is showing great promise and will require more than our pick 15. Hopefully a combination of trades could net us Crouch and Caldwell.
Don’t get me wrong I value Billings and predicted he would win our B&F in a competition with mates before the season started but the penny has dropped that he is not the player I thought/hoped he would be. Best to get value out of him in a trade.

summertime and the living is easy ........
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 8:35am You've gotta give something to get something. Last season we offloaded Bruce, Steven and Acres, all best 22 at the time. Players like Newnes, Longer and White had no trade value.

Savage, Webster, Roberton and Dunstan seem obvious trade options, but with a combined 4 games between them in 2020, I can't see much value there.

It's also hard to see any of Phillips, Parker, Hind, McKenzie or Joyce attracting any interest.

Ross, Lonie, Sinclair and Billings seem the most likely to attract reasonable value, and appear the only replaceable members of our best 22-25. That said, the offer would have to be to good to refuse to let any of them go.

Outside that, Gresham is probably the only other tradable player of value we have. Not saying I'd trade him, not at all, but I believe the club would listen to offers.
I don’t wanna lose any Jacks. Especially those three.

Seb, hell stay. I see home like a fringe but important player. A Newport or Powell type.

Roberton has value, even at 29. If we don’t play him, the Swans will.

Dunstan? I would say a Bulldogs but their mids are well stocked, so Fremantle? Gold Coast? Carlton? Even Hawthorn? Might bite.

What intrigues me is the status of all our big backs. We delisted one. But the others. We thought we had a pretty good back six when the forwards were kicking scores like 12.4. But I heard commentators say that the back six can’t hold its own, and they re good when tech mids flood back with them.

I love Jake Carlisle but I am a bit disillusioned tbh...

If there is still a lot of improvement in Long and Sincs, I’d say we need a tall...so what is going on with those big defenders in the reserves. Question mark.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

OK See your reasoning, Gershwin . Don't agree with you though. Billings is a required player afaic.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 1:07pm
Beno88 wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 8:35am You've gotta give something to get something. Last season we offloaded Bruce, Steven and Acres, all best 22 at the time. Players like Newnes, Longer and White had no trade value.

Seb, hell stay. I see home like a fringe but important player. A Newport or Powell type.
Of course Seb will stay but comparing him to Newport or Powell is f****** downright offensive.

How many best and fairest did those two win? :roll: :roll:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 1:16pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 1:07pm

Of course Seb will stay but comparing him to Newport or Powell is f****** downright offensive.

How many best and fairest did those two win? :roll: :roll:
Alright !, the troll in me awakes!!!

We were mediocre...widely acknowledged as a ‘starless’ team. Ross was a good honest battler and deserved it.
Now we have the H4 Factor! The big four Hs.
Hannebery, Hill, Hunter and Hu-ever-else-we-can-grab, Ross will be a middle of the roader.

Powell and Newport played with genuine super stars. Rossy didn’t. But I am hinting that we could get stars again...somehow.

Look, tbh, I’ve only watched a handful of games beginning to end, and barely saw a game at all in the Richo years. I always watched the highlights and read the commentary.
But I didn’t belong to forums and the like.

Tell me, is Ross THAT good?

He’ll stay. I’m happy to say that.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
sr85

Ross is garbage. Disgrace that he won last year's b and f ahead if marshall. Some people must just look at his stats and assume because he has 25 touches he's played well.
Never mind the fact that half of his touches either go to the opposition or put a team mate under pressure. People that continue to be impressed with garbage possessions only keep the saints happy with mediocre unskilled players. We need skill.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sr85 wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 3:35pm Ross is garbage. Disgrace that he won last year's b and f ahead if marshall. Some people must just look at his stats and assume because he has 25 touches he's played well.
Never mind the fact that half of his touches either go to the opposition or put a team mate under pressure. People that continue to be impressed with garbage possessions only keep the saints happy with mediocre unskilled players. We need skill.
Yeah you'd think AFL level coaches that do votes would know that wouldn't you :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Laurie
Club Player

Totally agree with you Gershwin re Billings
I think he has shown his best and is now at a stalemate .
Better get coin for him now while we can if we wish to land the players we are supposedly chasing .

sr85

CURLY wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 3:53pm
sr85 wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 3:35pm Ross is garbage. Disgrace that he won last year's b and f ahead if marshall. Some people must just look at his stats and assume because he has 25 touches he's played well.
Yeah you'd think AFL level coaches that do votes would know that wouldn't you :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Aren't u always sooking about the people that give votes every week?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sr85 wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 4:01pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 3:53pm
Aren't u always sooking about the people that give votes every week?
Not me maybe it's someone on a forum of a club you support.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Slightly surprised not to have Caldwell nominate us yet.

Thought it would be the perfect week to get it rolling if he had made up his mind.

Preuss has nominated GWS already.

Nee!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Here's a sleeper.