Congratulatons Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkev
Club Player

Congratulatons Rhys Stanley

I hope that he has a great game against Richmond next weekend!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Congratulatons Rhys Stanley

Traded to Geelong for the pick that netted Hugh Goddard.

Another win for Elshaugh and Bains, possibly the most inept duo ever to a club's recruiting department.

takeaway
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 2:48am Traded to Geelong for the pick that netted Hugh Goddard.

Another win for Elshaugh and Bains, possibly the most inept duo ever to a club's recruiting department.
Yep, the same two that did the deal that netted us Hunter Clark, Josh Battle and Ben Long for pick 10.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Josh Battle actually “slid” to us... he should have gone earlier in the draft ( and was expected to) - it didn’t take genius to see this.

Whereas, it was only in Elshaugh’s and Bain’s mind that Hugh Goddard “slid” to us - and they were jumping up and down in excitement at the time .... all the other recruiters knew better.

Therein lies the difference ...

(and Long hasn’t exactly proven himself yet ... he’s not anywhere near a Houli ... who’s averaging an impressive 310 metres gained this year with the shortened game - even at 32).

takeaway
Club Player

So Hunter Clark (star), Josh Battle (excellent player) and Ben Long (entrenched in 22 and could be anything), for the one pick, pick 10 was not astute recruiting?

38 picks before we chose Battle, so what were the other recruiters doing? Inept. Not sure what Houli's got to do with anything.

Goddard never recovered after his achilles, lost mobility, so who knows?

Name one recruiter that's nailed every pick, even 80%, 70% ........

samoht
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:45am So Hunter Clark (star), Josh Battle (excellent player) and Ben Long (entrenched in 22 and could be anything), for the one pick, pick 10 was not astute recruiting?

38 picks before we chose Battle, so what were the other recruiters doing? Inept. Not sure what Houli's got to do with anything.

No recruiter has to nail it 80% of the time, but I just judge it on the recruiting that Geelong has done for instance since we were top teams together in 2008/2009 ... have they recruited players with average skills, amassed a surplus of half-back flankers, a surplus of average ruckmen, midfielders with average skills,etc...
Would Geelong be interested in recruiting Kent, who the Demons felt was surplus to their needs, Hind who is very lightly built ... and a tiny forward like Lonie - who is not built for the finals, as we saw ... no!
Thet wouldn’t recruit these players, as they have clear recruiting standards that they stick to.
Last edited by samoht on Sun 18 Oct 2020 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Hai! Well done to Rhys Stanley - hope he plays a belter

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Not only is Rhys a great guy, he is a very good ruckman.

As we tried to make him a forward and an backman, I always said he was a ruckman.

I am going to be barracking for Rhys this coming week.

A premiership medal would be an amazing reward for all his efforts.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
takeaway
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 10:35am
takeaway wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:45am So Hunter Clark (star), Josh Battle (excellent player) and Ben Long (entrenched in 22 and could be anything), for the one pick, pick 10 was not astute recruiting?

No recruiter has to nail it 80% of the time, but I just judge it on the recruiting that Geelong has done for instance since we were top teams together in 2008/2009 ... have they recruited players with average skills, amassed a surplus of half-back flankers, a surplus of average ruckmen, midfielders with average skills,etc...
Would Geelong be interested in recruiting Kent, who the Demons felt was surplus to their needs, Hind who is very lightly built ... and a tiny forward like Lonie - who is not built for the finals, as we saw ... no!
Thet wouldn’t recruit these players, as they have clear recruiting standards that they stick to.
I agree Stephen Wells is an excellent recruiter, doesn't muck around, (unlike Dodoro), but Geelong has been helped substantially by father/sons, and players wanting to come home, ie Dangerfield. That has enabled them to top up and develop players into their system.
Had their misses as well.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

While I wish him well, let us not get carried too far from the facts. At StKilda, his only consistency was the ability to disappoint. Moving him on saved his career and saved our sanity.

If you have read Nick Reiwoldt's auto-biography you will know he didn't single out any single player as a source of frustration. Except for one..

Good luck Rhys, becoming a Cat has given you a few more football lives. Eight down, one to go I reckon.

Saint supporter since '62
The Recruit
Club Player

crap player

will let the cats down again
next we will be wishing fat steven well

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 11:01am While I wish him well, let us not get carried too far from the facts. At StKilda, his only consistency was the ability to disappoint. Moving him on saved his career and saved our sanity.

If you have read Nick Reiwoldt's auto-biography you will know he didn't single out any single player as a source of frustration. Except for one..

Good luck Rhys, becoming a Cat has given you a few more football lives. Eight down, one to go I reckon.
Played and developed in the wrong position.

We wanted a replacement for Nick as a mobile lead up tall forward.

Rhys is and was a leaping mobile ruckman.

Geelong knew it.

Great recruiting by them.

Stupidity by us.

He is hitting his prime.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 11:10am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 11:01am While I wish him well, let us not get carried too far from the facts. At StKilda, his only consistency was the ability to disappoint. Moving him on saved his career and saved our sanity.

Played and developed in the wrong position.

We wanted a replacement for Nick as a mobile lead up tall forward.

Rhys is and was a leaping mobile ruckman.

Geelong knew it.

Great recruiting by them.

Stupidity by us.

He is hitting his prime.
What did he play for us, about 67 senior games?

Won the GF sprint eleven years ago! Hitting his prime? Give us a break.

Rhys reminds me of this great line from Kingswood Country where Ted Bullpit and Thelma are discussing the future of Ted's prized greyhounds, Repco Lad andv Gay Akubra:

"Bad news Thel, Repco Lad's broken down and he may never race again!"

"But Ted, he's 11 years old and hasn't raced yet!".

Rhys was StKilda's Repco Lad. Nearly 30 years old and showing some promise. Pity we had to recruit him when he was 18.

resaintlee
Club Player

I see there is a Stanley playing for Geelong but he doesn’t look anything like the bloke who played for us. Do they pump them up physically as well as pumping up their egos’ down there?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

resaintlee wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 12:15pm I see there is a Stanley playing for Geelong but he doesn’t look anything like the bloke who played for us. Do they pump them up physically as well as pumping up their egos’ down there?
Take away the man-bun and the timidity is still there. My missus called it out in the first quarter last night. As my junior coach used to say "looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane".

samoht
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 10:57am I agree Stephen Wells is an excellent recruiter, doesn't muck around, (unlike Dodoro), but Geelong has been helped substantially by father/sons, and players wanting to come home, ie Dangerfield. That has enabled them to top up and develop players into their system.
I agree to a point, but how often have Geelong or Richmond recruiters compromised and lowered their standards and recruited players just for the sake of recruiting them while we've gone the other way?

Richmond and geelong would have non-negotiables when they recruit - the players on their radar would need to have a certain level of skill, have certain physcal attributes and must fit in the team and complement it - bring an ingredient that it's lacking.
They would go for quality where we've been happy to go with quantity, and they'd concentrate on their team's needs with the team balance in mind - whereas we went for a surplus of average ruckmen, average half-back flankers, average-skilled midfielders, etc.... the more the merrier, it seems.
We created a depth/surplus of average players - there was no plan, just a machine-gun approach.

For Richmond or Geelong recruiters, for instance - Hind wouldn't be considered because he's too physically on the light side, and Lonie would be too small/short, and not be considered fast enough.

Hugh Goddard was not agile enough - he has the turning circle of the QE2 - all the other recruiters could see this, but we had to find this out the hard way - it only became obvious to us after we'd recruited him.
Our recruiters couldn't believe our luck and were gloating that he'd "slipped" to us - when in reality they'd slipped/mucked it up big time.

Geelong's recruiters vs our recruiters --- that's where they've gained the ascendancy and how they've sustained their success.
We were neck and neck in 2009 with them when they already had the 2 father and sons Gary Ablett Jnr and Hawkins in their team - but they've recruited a hell of a lot better than we have since then.
Congratulations to Stanley and to the Geelong recruiters.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is living proof of the old saying that it takes big guys longer to come on.

He was inconsistent for us and played out of position, but - good luck to him - has developed into a more than handy ruckman for Geelong. I’d pick Paddy Ryder and Rowan Marshall ahead of him, though, even though he has improved.

On the subject of ruckmen, Port Adelaide would be playing this Saturday had they stuck with Ryder.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 18 Oct 2020 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:45amBen Long (entrenched in 22 and could be anything), for the one pick
Agree, but he has to learn from this year and pull his head in. Can’t afford a player as good as he is to miss a quarter of the season suspended (rightly or wrongly).

He had a reputation now and will have to keep his nose clean to stay on the field.

takeaway
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 12:28pm
takeaway wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 10:57am I agree Stephen Wells is an excellent recruiter, doesn't muck around, (unlike Dodoro), but Geelong has been helped substantially by father/sons, and players wanting to come home, ie Dangerfield. That has enabled them to top up and develop players into their system.
I agree to a point, but how often have Geelong or Richmond recruiters compromised and lowered their standards and recruited players just for the sake of recruiting them while we've gone the other way?

Richmond and geelong would have non-negotiables when they recruit - the players on their radar would need to have a certain level of skill, have certain physcal attributes and must fit in the team and complement it - bring an ingredient that it's lacking.
They would go for quality where we've been happy to go with quantity, and they'd concentrate on their team's needs with the team balance in mind - whereas we went for a surplus of average ruckmen, average half-back flankers, average-skilled midfielders, etc.... the more the merrier, it seems.
We created a depth/surplus of average players - there was no plan, just a machine-gun approach.

For Richmond or Geelong recruiters, for instance - Hind wouldn't be considered because he's too physically on the light side, and Lonie would be too small/short, and not be considered fast enough.

Hugh Goddard was not agile enough - he has the turning circle of the QE2 - all the other recruiters could see this, but we had to find this out the hard way - it only became obvious to us after we'd recruited him.
Our recruiters couldn't believe our luck and were gloating that he'd "slipped" to us - when in reality they'd slipped/mucked it up big time.

Geelong's recruiters vs our recruiters --- that's where they've gained the ascendancy and how they've sustained their success.
We were neck and neck in 2009 with them when they already had the 2 father and sons Gary Ablett Jnr and Hawkins in their team - but they've recruited a hell of a lot better than we have since then.
Congratulations to Stanley and to the Geelong recruiters.

Neither of us are aware of Geelong or Richmond's "non negotiables" when they recruit, so that is all assumption. They might have used a dartboard. They have had plenty of misses as well.

Without going through lists of players, maybe Geelong has done better, but they have had advantages in attracting players, like good facilities (Seaford anyone?), power club, and a home ground advantage outside Melb that has helped substantially to keep them in finals, although no flags since 2011. Richmond, again, a big club, were going nowhere in 2016, had a series of crisis meetings, made some changes, attracted some players, but importantly made changes to the way they played, and the use of the players they had.

There is a lot more than just recruiting, more so player development and game plan to suit your team. Thankfully, we are now becoming more attractive a destination, need to refine our game plan, keep the young core developing, and get a couple of players in. With luck we might do a Richmond.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True and you saved me from reposting that.

The original "looked like Tarzan but played like Jane."

Oops sorry mate, didn't see your post above until after I posted this.

Also, Stanley was rated last on our list by his peers.

But hey, might have a premiership medallion hanging around his neck next Saturday night.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

If Girlong snag Higgins and Crouch, fatso won't even get a look-in next year.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Not disputing this, but how did this trade work? Ben Long in 2016 at Pick 21 and Clark in 2017 at Pick 7 for instance?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Good luck to him Geelong have turned him in to decent player it's a shame we couldn't . Always had potential but unfortunately we couldn't harness it .

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:33am Josh Battle actually “slid” to us... he should have gone earlier in the draft ( and was expected to) - it didn’t take genius to see this.

Whereas, it was only in Elshaugh’s and Bain’s mind that Hugh Goddard “slid” to us - and they were jumping up and down in excitement at the time .... all the other recruiters knew better.

(and Long hasn’t exactly proven himself yet ... he’s not anywhere near a Houli ... who’s averaging an impressive 310 metres gained this year with the shortened game - even at 32).

What they knew Goddard would blow his Achilles??

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:33am Josh Battle actually “slid” to us... he should have gone earlier in the draft ( and was expected to) - it didn’t take genius to see this.

What they knew Goddard would blow his Achilles out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL