Intraclub 18/2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussie sainter
Club Player

Intraclub 18/2

Hi all,

Did anyone get a look at the hit out yesterday? Obviously the shocking injury to Paton would have soured the day but anything positive to come out of it? Anyone look like they might be flying ready for round 1?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Intraclub 18/2

This was on the AFL website...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/550028/upda ... uch-and-go

Ryder, McKernan, King, Gresham, Howard, Frawley, Jones, Kent and Webster were rested or on light duties.

"Mature-age draftee Tom Highmore looms as a readymade defensive option after playing for the 'A' team during the hitout.

The soon-to-be 23-year-old from South Adelaide, who has been described as a Callum Wilkie clone, has impressed this summer with his toughness and intercept marking ability.

Pre-season signing Mason Wood played in the same line-up and presented strongly in attack alongside Jack Higgins and Jack Sinclair, who were among the best afield.

Seb Ross started in defence and rotated through the midfield for the 'A' side and is expected to be used in a half-back rotation this year that includes Sinclair, Jones, Hunter Clark and Bradley Hill.

Despite the absence of Howard and Frawley, Jake Carlisle played for the 'B' side alongside fringe Saints including Jack Bytel, Luke Dunstan and Dan McKenzie.

Ex-Crow Paul Hunter, who is vying for one of two vacant list spots, rucked for the 'A' side against developing rookie Sam Alabakis."

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

IS Highmore a replacement for Patton?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that Webster or Mackenzie would replace Paton as a lockdown defender.

Highmore might allow Coffield to play a different role. I'm not sure he can play the Paton role, though obviously don't know too much about him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:35pm I would have thought that Webster or Mackenzie would replace Paton as a lockdown defender.

Highmore might allow Coffield to play a different role. I'm not sure he can play the Paton role, though obviously don't know too much about him.
Don't be surprised if Bytel plays the Paton role at some point. Strong one on one skills attacks the ball, quick hands and decision making, tackling beast. The kicking is the questionable thing but he can bring others into the game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 10:02am IS Highmore a replacement for Patton?
Well the Hawks are probably keen to replace Patton. But hopefully we keep Highmore, and besides at only 192cm and on the light side being a key forward may be difficult for him.

Long and Webster are both ready placements for Paton.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 12:48am
SaintPav wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:35pm I would have thought that Webster or Mackenzie would replace Paton as a lockdown defender.

Don't be surprised if Bytel plays the Paton role at some point. Strong one on one skills attacks the ball, quick hands and decision making, tackling beast. The kicking is the questionable thing but he can bring others into the game.
Can't see it CQ. Bytel is a midfield extractor, exactly as you described him. It would be like Hawthorn moving Mitchell to the back pocket, never going to happen.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone else get the impression Chip Frawley was recruited as an assistant coach and there is little or no intention to play him other than perhaps in the VFL?

Hear me out and it is theory only.
Soft cap reduces spend on coaches.
A player listed as a player can fill that coaching role while being on a playing list that the AFL effectively covers the wages of.

Maybe I am missing something?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 8:34am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 12:48am

Can't see it CQ. Bytel is a midfield extractor, exactly as you described him. It would be like Hawthorn moving Mitchell to the back pocket, never going to happen.
Absolutely an inside mid, I agree. But pitted against, Steele, Crouch, Ross (who is likely to spend time in defence) Gresham and Jones, (who may spend time in defence) who are all extractors, it wouldn't surprise me if Bytel gets a chance in a defensive post.

As an bottom-age U18 mid, he would go forward and back to great effect, playing in elite company.

Paton was passed up as an U18 mid and invited back to the Bushrangers and given a chance in the back line as an over age player. The rest is history.

Im just saying his defensive mindset makes him a chance and it wouldn't surprise me. Probably a greater chance than pushing out the list of mids mentioned above, which doesn't include Hannerbery, Sinclair and Dunstan who are also handy on the inside.

Its clear Ratten wants to get the best talent on the field.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 10:25am Does anyone else get the impression Chip Frawley was recruited as an assistant coach and there is little or no intention to play him other than perhaps in the VFL?

A player listed as a player can fill that coaching role while being on a playing list that the AFL effectively covers the wages of.

There was discussion that we lacked mentors for King. We recruited Roughie in some obscure role and he has mentored King.

You may be onto something Joffa. Exit Brown, enter Frawley.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We have options to replace Paton, but I wonder if Ratts has considered trying Kent in the role? He has the speed and kicking skills, would just have to learn the role.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 10:42am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 10:25am Does anyone else get the impression Chip Frawley was recruited as an assistant coach and there is little or no intention to play him other than perhaps in the VFL?

There was discussion that we lacked mentors for King. We recruited Roughie in some obscure role and he has mentored King.

Maybe Frawley can break King’s leg. 🥴🙀

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 2:31pm

That's not how this mentoring thing works. Now if King can start breaking legs!!.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Oh no, St. Pav! Now you've done it! You know that will now happen, given our sad history of misfortune. Given his nickname, and knowing our luck he'll be destroyed.😢😭🏇

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
St Loxton
Club Player

Sorry if I'm tech dumb, can I watch the intraclub anywhere?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021 5:47pm

Oh no, St. Pav! Now you've done it! You know that will now happen, given our sad history of misfortune. Given his nickname, and knowing our luck he'll be destroyed.😢😭🏇
Don't worry; I have very poor prediction skills, so it's not a problem.