Thoughts on the game...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts on the game...

First and foremost... it was great to get the win. With the injuries we had, it was very much a droppable game and I think one shouldn’t dwell too much on the negatives or bad efforts factoring that and the weather.

Feel like ultimately we got away with it there because once GWS kicked away, it looked doubtful that we capacity to bring it back. Especially with the umpiring... am not a huge whinged there but felt that it was atrocious across the board and wish that they would pay less free kicks in general.

Positives and negatives

Captain Steele - we look invincible when he’s on top and unfortunately he was blanketed quite a bit in the second half and it showed in the results. I guess that’s going to be the weekly challenge from now on.

Billings picked up the slack and was closely to BOG for mine... and Clark played like a captain in waiting even if he too was blanketed a bit in the 3/4.

The three small forward experiment remains a challenge IMO...
HIggins looks like an absolute steal of a trade. Is seemingly everything you could want in a small forward... dangerous, works hard, freakishly talented and gets the hardball.

Lonie and Butler started well and largely vanished after 1/2 through the second quarter until they both did a bit of magic when it mattered.

The strategy is an incredibly risky one for mine as both had to do exceptional stuff to have an impact... that Lonie goal was something else let me tell you and you can’t rely on that. I still think there’s only room for 2 but hey, they got the job done.

Ross was quite interesting... I used the analogy of him being a bad partner that you want to break up with only for him to surprise you and he did that with his freakish goals when they mattered and a couple of big tackles... juxtaposed with his up and under kicks that go to the opposition. If he just was able to weed that out if his game, he really would be up a level.

The rucks were interesting. Hunter for me was everything you could want in a depth ruck and was the better of the two minus whatever weird thing was going on that saw him get pinged for using his arm in the ruck contest.
Personally was really unhappy with McKernan but a lot of forumites have praised his last quarter efforts so I guess that is worth a second look. Really hoped to see him have a better impact up forward.

Membrey... nuff said.

Highmore... reckon his game is better than he’s getting credit for but the kid needs to learn his limitations. Needs to pass by hand a but more under pressure than go the shank kick.
Personally I still standby Carlisle as the player we should have gone with but Tom certainly didn’t disgrace himself.

Long was exceptional IMO. Attacked everything and really has a great knack for getting to contests and influencing them to our advantage. His tap/knock on to our advantage, strip the ball, harass work was exceptional.

Finally Jimmy Webster is a guy that I will be interested to watch closely on the replay. I’m not a fan and a few bad kicks early followed up by 3-4 efforts where he failed to tackle or shepherd his man led directly to opposition goals had me tearing what’s left of my hair out. That being said...
His best patch of form for the whole night was the last 15min when he really stepped up, held his marks, hit his targets and kept composure. I worry about his intensity and work rate though am hoping +++ that it all clicked for him late in the match and he’ll be better for the run

Anyone got other thoughts to share?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on the game...

Exceptional game from Membrey.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

13.8 in those conditions (or any!) is great to see

Getting a win in the wet, the polar opposite conditions from our home track, is a very positive sign.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

First game of the year with not only new players to the team, first gamers but also players who haven't started games in years.. so yeah, decent effort.

Our defence was challenged by a great club with incredible talent I'd love to add to our side.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

No new injuries as well

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Bytel's contested possession rate was elite as well as his work in the stoppages. Decent game, and when he gets to 50 games I think we have midfield bull.

Webster was up and down, his one percenters were phenomenal, maybe the best in the team. He did ok tagging Greene a bit and then after slumping lifted in the final quarter.

There was great moments from Gresham in ball handling and second efforts; Lonies brilliance, Butler & Hill looked ok and at times real good, Higgins had some nice efforts.

It was a satisfying win.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Any win is a good win & as this week has proven there is no such thing as an easy game & an away win is even better. Melbourne next week at home won't be easy but if were going to be there at the pointy end these are games you have to win. Yeah there will be a fatigue factor but we will get some players back just need to keep winning to make sure we give ourselves a decent chance of getting there

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Highmore knows how to position himself. Once he gets a taste of the pace of the game he won't be so rushed. There is a lot to like out of a debut, he wasnt flashy but he got himself into the game and isn't frightened to take ground intuitively. Reads the play really well and on a wet day, you can forgive the disposal a bit.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Last time we won interestate in round one, we made the Grand Final.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Highmore I see as competing with Wilkie for a position. Wilkie's game was sacrificed against GWS and he was not as influential as he normally is. We will need two try key defenders against many other AFL teams, or will get caught out. ie WCE

Paul Hunter better than Abbott and is serviceable, but he will get slaughtered by any decent ruck. He was easily beaten by a younger first gamer by a fair margin. His opponents are only going to be better. Also Flynn posted his highest numbers for disposals for any game he has played at GWS, and in their reserves he would have had games against pretty ordinary ruckmen.

Long I thought given the conditions, probably played his best game for us yet.

Membrey is back to his best, if not better.

Higgins after viewing his games with us so far is going to be very good for us.

Bytel is just going to get better and better. 10 tackles was huge.

Rats. Great TEAM football, and so Rats is continuing to shine. He just has our players all gelling so well.

Ross. Two great goals and lots of good moments. I now really find it impossible to pick our best 22 if everyone was available.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sombersainter
Club Player

I watched Hunter Clarke and he seems to have a habit of not running straight at the football, but running a small arc, waiting for someone else to pick up the ball. Maybe this was just this match or is he reluctant to get a hard hit ?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sombersainter wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:07am I watched Hunter Clarke and he seems to have a habit of not running straight at the football, but running a small arc, waiting for someone else to pick up the ball. Maybe this was just this match or is he reluctant to get a hard hit ?
I saw Brad Hill do this a few times as well.

I think in the wet, when the ball was dribbling on the ground, a few players tended to run around the ball to get in front of it and let it come to them rather than try to pick it up as it was moving away from them

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I think the game showed the team and quite a few individuals have excellent football intelligence - a finalist team needs that, yes. Some counterattacking was top notch skill and decision making. The defending was ferocious. As mentioned, GWS don't like it up em (who does). All power to Paul Hunter; will never forget his debut and can hold his head high despite his opponent getting the points decision.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:29am
Sombersainter wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:07am I watched Hunter Clarke and he seems to have a habit of not running straight at the football, but running a small arc, waiting for someone else to pick up the ball. Maybe this was just this match or is he reluctant to get a hard hit ?

I think in the wet, when the ball was dribbling on the ground, a few players tended to run around the ball to get in front of it and let it come to them rather than try to pick it up as it was moving away from them
I think it is to avoid being pinged with the ball in hand. I think they have to move so fast nowadays and they can’t baulk on their hammies and do a Robert Harvey pick up-dog leg change of direction so they swoop in on an arc and bend their backs on a curve to get out of dodge. Going on a straight line is just too easy to intercept.

I’ve also notice they might even wait a fraction bec for they pounce, as if they are trying to pre-emp to the other player to commit for a ‘scoop and carry’ first .

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 11:12pm Bytel's contested possession rate was elite as well as his work in the stoppages. Decent game, and when he gets to 50 games I think we have midfield bull.

Webster was up and down, his one percenters were phenomenal, maybe the best in the team. He did ok tagging Greene a bit and then after slumping lifted in the final quarter.

There was great moments from Gresham in ball handling and second efforts; Lonies brilliance, Butler & Hill looked ok and at times real good, Higgins had some nice efforts.

It was a satisfying win.
Lonie kicked the goal of the round.

CarlD
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:59am Lonie kicked the goal of the round.
Not according to the muppets on Bounce last night :evil:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 1:07am Highmore knows how to position himself. Once he gets a taste of the pace of the game he won't be so rushed. There is a lot to like out of a debut, he wasnt flashy but he got himself into the game and isn't frightened to take ground intuitively. Reads the play really well and on a wet day, you can forgive the disposal a bit.
19 possessions and 4 takles wasn't bad for a first gamer. :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 11:05am
saynta wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:59am Lonie kicked the goal of the round.
Not according to the muppets on Bounce last night :evil:
They were too busy having a wank around under the table over Dusty.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Good summary Skeptic.

My takeaway was coming from behind, AND in atrocious conditions, AND with around a 3rd of our best 22 not playing.

Was that the first test of our much discussed depth? Time will tell if it was or if GWS fell off a cliff last year.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

AND no injuries

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:42am I think the game showed the team and quite a few individuals have excellent football intelligence - a finalist team needs that, yes. Some counterattacking was top notch skill and decision making. The defending was ferocious. As mentioned, GWS don't like it up em (who does). All power to Paul Hunter; will never forget his debut and can hold his head high despite his opponent getting the points decision.
Hunter might want to retire after coming up against Gawn next Saturday. Hope not though.

spert
Saintsational Legend

An absolute top win considering this is a pretty unsettled team that has barely played together in that form. Players will still be a bit unsure of what others are doing or where they will naturally run. Hunter, McKernan, Higgins and Highmore have never played a senior AFL together, and Webster is coming back after a long layoff. Bytel is still learning, but put elite pressure on for a young player. Our premium small forward in Butler kicked the winning goal, but didn't do much overall, and Hill was off with a sore knee for a while and didn't do a lot apart form kicking a class goal. No Paddy, Roma, Hanners or King, and yet to see what Crouch will bring.

Add all that together- plus it was interstate, and you then realise the importance of that win and how much the club has lifted under the current regime.

Negatives- as per last season, the forwards and midfield need to improve defensively- great with ball in hand, but loose without the ball. The coach will no doubt work on that.

older saint
SS Life Member

Loved the heart shown. Said to my lad when we were 2 goals down in the last qtr we will see what this side is madeof and if they have improved on last year. We lost most of the close games last year (Nth, Freo, WC,Melb,Bris) so showed a trust and maturity which shows growth.
Arguably 9 of our best 22 not there shows we now have legitament depth too.
In those conditions the back line was a little hard to assess, so will keep the powder dry on that one.
Clark will be elite by seasons end, Higgins showed he is more than a 1 trick pony and Membrey may be the most underrated forward in the game.
Test is to turn up next week and take care of Melbourne .

In: King, Jones
Out: McKenzie, ?
Tough one McKernan probably obvious one with Battle to pinch hit ruck but Against Gawn that is a concern. Otherwise though could be top heavy with King, membrey, Hunter, Mckernan , Battle??
Unless Hill Hurt

asiu
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:56am
skeptic wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:29am

I think it is to avoid being pinged with the ball in hand. I think they have to move so fast nowadays and they can’t baulk on their hammies and do a Robert Harvey pick up-dog leg change of direction so they swoop in on an arc and bend their backs on a curve to get out of dodge. Going on a straight line is just too easy to intercept.

I’ve also notice they might even wait a fraction bec for they pounce, as if they are trying to pre-emp to the other player to commit for a ‘scoop and carry’ first .

hmmmm

yes

the crys of cowardice are tad misplaced
one feels

brute force ‘n ignorance (rory gallagher)
isn’t necessarily the smartest way to win the pill
or
to have won it
if
you did win it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ace
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:54pm Exceptional game from Membrey.
McKernan was not a good marking target up forward, neither was Battle.
McKernan played better when in the ruck.
Membey had to be the only marking forward when Wood was dropped in favour of McKenzie.
With hindsight that was a mistake.
Fortunately Membrey played a blinder.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.