We Can Win v Port

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We Can Win v Port

I suppose you all think I'm mad but, if Marshall or Ryder play (a big if), I reckon we can win this week versus Port.

We are travelling again interstate for the first time since our win in round one against GWS. Since Ratts took over we seem to travel quite well. We won in Adelaide twice last year. The players can re-bond again.

Our 3rd, 4th and 5th rucks are costing us valuable centre clearances and not getting any marks or possessions around the ground. If one of our first 2 rucks play then - LOOK OUT!

Saints by 8-15 points. If both rucks play then Saints by 30 points. Okay maybe that one I might be mad. :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Can Win v Port

Its not out of the question

Actually I am expecting to win :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah look... It is not out of the question.

We can damn well beat anyone..... If we show up.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Big deal.

Four consecutive wins to atone or GTFO.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer five to be honest.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Very optimistic thoughts. I believe we will cop another 10-12 goal loss.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah that could happen.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dry conditions forecast

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Can we water the ground a bit?

That used to work maybe three out of ten times...

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

last year was such a weird one, and for some strange reason, the squad appeared to bond amazingly well, which I believe was the main reason for the incredible unexpected wins.
I think the squad dealt with the hub, in a way that other clubs would be totally envious of.
Rather than the hub being challenging, they seemed to have thrived and punched above their weight.

This year, with normal routine back, we seem to have returned to the Saints of old.
Don't expect us to beat Port, or the Cats, or too many other clubs.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 12:11am Dry conditions forecast

Australian forecasting is not that accurate. Get back to me about 4 days before the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Highly improbable. We cannot combat a swarming attack, forwards, mids and on ballers look completely mesmerised into slow jogs when the opposition runs in waves i.e. "yours defenders, good luck." King cannot kick for goal at 50% even though he wins the ball well, Membrey and Billings seem unlikely to get a bag, Higgins might snaffle a couple, Lonie...well yes Lonie, the symbol of our lack of depth and forward danger; Rucks and hence centre clearance work is too bad to be true, but I've seen it several times in the last month so perhaps it is the worse clearance group in the history of AFL. General ball movement typically slow and characterised by turnovers. Port at home, fired up, confident. I suppose miracles happen, but can't remember when one has ever been bestowed on us. I am hoping that we play a smarter game acknowledging our present limitations, flood in defence a la Terry Wallace and early GT style and can limit the damage. As Brad is going to play, don't let him go into opposition 50. Stay on the wing/h'fwd and hope that negates a good Port player by him catching a cold and we can perhaps fluke a breakaway. When BH goes into defence he is more of a liability than useful. Perhaps bring in Darragh and licence him to hurt anyone near him. Play like mongrels. Fairly out of form mongrels but mongrels just the same. At least come off the field knowing other team is seriously bruised. Stuff the free kick count - which was never going to go our way. Playing Port at home you are on a hiding to nothing if you don't play desperate because you are going to get physically hurt either way and there is the matter of pride. Make the game absolute rubbish stop start affair and annoy the Port fans. Someone smash Gray early. Go Sainters.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Yes, Yorkeys.
Ratts will never do it, but the guys should take the field with several strategies in their heads, one being
"hurt the Power" and damn the free kicks, tackle with the intent to hurt. Hurt them. Drive them into the ground. Make the Power scared. Upset the fans. Upset the players.
If we're gonna lose, make the Power earn the win by having them limp off, bloody and bruised.
If we hurt them early on, by crikey it will limit their ability to blow us out of the water.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

The irony is that if we do win, 3-3 after 6 rounds is actually not too bad considering the personnel we've had missing and the clubs we've had to play. At the start of the season most of us would have taken that. It's the insipid hidings that we can't cope with. If we must lose, lose with some f***** dignity and keep our integrity intact!

minneapolis
Club Player

If Richmond can't beat them, then how on earth will we?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Yeah...naaahhh

Did you guys note the saints FB page?

Has post ‘strength through loyalty’ obviously been quite a bit of backlash during the week

#1 Ryder fan
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 2:29am The irony is that if we do win, 3-3 after 6 rounds is actually not too bad considering the personnel we've had missing and the clubs we've had to play. At the start of the season most of us would have taken that. It's the insipid hidings that we can't cope with. If we must lose, lose with some f***** dignity and keep our integrity intact!
Yeah pretty much.

Our expectations were too damn high.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 7:52am Yeah...naaahhh

Did you guys note the saints FB page?

Has post ‘strength through loyalty’ obviously been quite a bit of backlash during the week
Yeah I noticed that as well, many comments suggesting loyality is only going one way with this list.

Back on our chances against Port, if we didn't have injuries and also played to our potential then I'd say we'd give it a good shake but currently we don't have either of those attributes.

There is also another attribute we might not have, a game plan that can win games/finals and that is a growing concern as each round passes.

I suspect Ratts has accepted his game plan doesn't stack up and is urgently implementing tweeks, the downside to when a coach realises after 3-5 rounds that his game plan needs modifying, is there needs to be a mini pre season (in season). Expect some frustrating times ahead but hopefully in the last 4 to 6 weeks of this season we see some positive signs that we could be better equiped for 2022.

Suggestion to the recruiters...throw the kitchen sink at a premier ruckman.

Winmar7
Club Player

My favourite win of the year in 2020 (apart from the final), I really hope we show up with a good attitude, win, lose or draw

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 10:50pm I suppose you all think I'm mad but, if Marshall or Ryder play (a big if), I reckon we can win this week versus Port.

We are travelling again interstate for the first time since our win in round one against GWS. Since Ratts took over we seem to travel quite well. We won in Adelaide twice last year. The players can re-bond again.

Our 3rd, 4th and 5th rucks are costing us valuable centre clearances and not getting any marks or possessions around the ground. If one of our first 2 rucks play then - LOOK OUT!

Saints by 8-15 points. If both rucks play then Saints by 30 points. Okay maybe that one I might be mad. :lol:
Yeah mate mad as a hatter but I love your optimism :wink:

Laurie
Club Player

I really dont think we can win but all i am wishing to see is our players having a genuine crack.
So disappointed in the way were beaten by Essendon and Richmond both insipid performances .

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Of course any team can win any game, that's been shown.

But we've played 20 quarters of football this year so far, and only well enough in 2 of those quarters to beat a team like Port at home, so a 10% chance sounds about right (or generous?)

Effort is all I want to see.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

There is no doubt that St Kilda can defeat Port Adelaide on Sunday, with Marshall expected to play I'm certain the ruck contests will be so much more competitive and enable the Saints to get first use of the ball, a major factor in the heavy losses to Essendon and Richmond. Bad as these were, I have the view that these were aberrations and not at all indicative of how the teams plays once ruck stocks are back on line.

We need only look back at the way the team rallied after being 33 points down against West Coast Eagles 2 weeks ago as a much more accurate indication of how the team performs, it is all about winning the clearances!

There is still a long way to go this season, it's only round 6, and as they did in 1997, I am confident St Kilda will remain in strong contention to make the top 8!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

THings that happened last time....

We kicked frekken' 12.1....(0.1% chance of repeating that feat)

Marshall and Ryder blended like a treat...(0.7% - will they even play?)

Hunetr Clark and Paton in fine fettle (0% Paton is out, HC way under par)

Hill and Billings blitzed (10%? - see last week)

Zac Jones blitzed (50% mnnnn)

We came out in the second quarter and smashed with pressure and tackles. (12%- based on our efforts in the 10 of the last 12 quarters?)

We surprised and stunned PA. (0% - they know all about it and us now and will be seeking revenge)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

1 week up
2 weeks down
1 week up
2 weeks ?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.