King Conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

King Conundrum

Our King is being surpassed by the Sun of a King.

What's the difference?
Why is Ben kicking 21% more accurately than Max?
They play so similar. Obviously some things are different.
But both teams lost their preferred ruckman. The midfields are getting similar outcomes.

For some reason, Ben is taking pack marks and kicking truer.

Max is getting very similar opportunities but missing badly and often.

I know everyone is different but both are faced with difficult situations as team-mates are injured, ball supply is not great and they are often 2 vs 1in
marking contests.

Did we get the wrong King? We have been excusing Max by saying he's young....but that's the b1tch of it for Max....he's got a clone playing in similar circumstances who is kicking ass.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: King Conundrum

Lloyd hinted that Ben will try and get to St Kilda at some stage. Could be as soon as the end of 2021.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Darth Vader
Club Player

Career stats:
Goals: Max 1.4, Ben 1.5
Score involvements: Max 4.1, Ben 3.8

Not too worried.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:28pm Lloyd hinted that Ben will try and get to St Kilda at some stage. Could be as soon as the end of 2021.
That really needs to happen!

That happens and we challenge - seriously - for a Grand Final berth.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:23pm Did we get the wrong King? We have been excusing Max by saying he's young....but that's the b1tch of it for Max....he's got a clone playing in similar circumstances who is kicking ass.
Ben has also had an extra 12 months of senior footy with Max missing his entire rookie season coming off that ACL.

So the situation is not the same despite them being identical twins.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:34pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:23pm Did we get the wrong King? We have been excusing Max by saying he's young....but that's the b1tch of it for Max....he's got a clone playing in similar circumstances who is kicking ass.
Ben has also had an extra 12 months of senior footy with Max missing his entire rookie season coming off that ACL.

So the situation is not the same despite them being identical twins.
That's a fair point.
So, would it be possible maybe Max's lack of game time is playing into a lack of confidence in his ability or his strength & skill are possibly behind Ben?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ben has 5.1 to 3/4 time against Swines
From 6 marks, 8 kicks
Let's swap the boys, in secret- offer Ben a truckload of money.
Not like anyone at the Suns would notice haha

edit: the King family of Beaumaris would love it, they've just been talking to Ben via skype or Zoom.
Get him home for a few months.
And Max likes Qld, how well did he go in the Noosa hub?
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:44pm Career stats:

Not too worried.
Yeah, I'm not too worried but I am a tad concerned.
After today Ben's avg. is 3 goals per game...but maybe Max will kick 10 ? That'd be a friggin' dream!!!

I'm looking at this season where they both have similar team situations in ruck, midfield, etc. But a fair point was raised that Max has played 14 less games and this could be affecting his skill, experience in KPP Forward, his confidence, etc.

The marking gap isn't as huge as it feels between them, but it is painful when Ben is converting kicks after marking to goal at almost double the rate.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:51pm Ben has 5.1 to 3/4 time against Swines
From 6 marks, 8 kicks
I can't imagine getting them both on field.
It'd be Wakelin lads x 1000!!!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Not just 14 games, but also one and a half pre-seasons to start his pro career and most of that final U18 season too.

It's a fair chunk of experience advantage to Ben.
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:51pm

Not too worried.
After today Ben's avg. is 3 goals per game...but maybe Max will kick 10 ? That'd be a friggin' dream!!!

I'm looking at this season where they both have similar team situations in ruck, midfield, etc. But a fair point was raised that Max has played 14 less games and this could be affecting his skill, experience in KPP Forward, his confidence, etc.

The marking gap isn't as huge as it feels between them, but it is painful when Ben is converting kicks after marking to goal at almost double the rate.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Ben looks more solid on his feet. Max looks wobbily and tired in his approach to goal, like he's walking on a tightrope one foot in front of the other and almost tripping over himself. He also needs to suck in the big ones and summon the energy for the shot.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:52pm
WellardSaint wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:51pm Ben has 5.1 to 3/4 time against Swines
From 6 marks, 8 kicks
I can't imagine getting them both on field.
It'd be Wakelin lads x 1000!!!
I think you’ll find Bens 12 month head start on Max at AFL is significant
IF we got both these it’s be 10x Wakelin twins
We could seriously challenge as long as we supplement with 1-2 A grade mids, another youthful ruck to support Marshall post Ryder and 1 more tall defender...

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:58pm Not just 14 games, but also one and a half pre-seasons to start his pro career and most of that final U18 season too.

Not too worried.

Yeah, I get that, but using that formula....Ben played 50% less games at Haileybury and had less starts at Sandringham than Max. It was only when Max had his ACL in year 12 that Ben started for the first time at Full forward. He had spent his lifetime in footy sitting on the bench, swapping in for his brother when Max needed a rest.

So, either Max is going to be incredible hot s*** next year or how many years do we have to give him to surpass a brother he supposedly was much more talented and experienced than ??

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Munga wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:59pm Ben looks more solid on his feet. Max looks wobbily and tired in his approach to goal, like he's walking on a tightrope one foot in front of the other and almost tripping over himself. He also needs to suck in the big ones and summon the energy for the shot.
I've wondered if he's carrying a bit of a niggle injury? I have said a few times it almost seems he's limping - like his right knee is sore?
Clubs never reveal the true injury tolls on players in season. Anyone else see this?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 5:08pm
n1ck wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:58pm Not just 14 games, but also one and a half pre-seasons to start his pro career and most of that final U18 season too.

Not too worried.

Yeah, I get that, but using that formula....Ben played 50% less games at Haileybury and had less starts at Sandringham than Max. It was only when Max had his ACL in year 12 that Ben started for the first time at Full forward. He had spent his lifetime in footy sitting on the bench, swapping in for his brother when Max needed a rest.

So, either Max is going to be incredible hot s*** next year or how many years do we have to give him to surpass a brother he supposedly was much more talented and experienced than ??
Max won’t be incredible at all if he continues to play in sides who obsess about bombing balls into fwd 50 and can’t kick to his leading advantage

It’s same old st Kilda .....incredibly talented youngster that we demand become Tony Lockett overnight so we can have our 1 idol while the rest of the side goes to shyte and the REAL teams who play TEAM football (see Richmond) win Premierships.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Our club motto shouldn’t be Fortius Quo Fidelius
It should be:
“St Kilda...working together...separately”

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 5:12pm

Not too worried.

Max won’t be incredible at all if he continues to play in sides who obsess about bombing balls into fwd 50 and can’t kick to his leading advantage

It’s same old st Kilda .....incredibly talented youngster that we demand become Tony Lockett overnight so we can have our 1 idol while the rest of the side goes to shyte and the REAL teams who play TEAM football (see Richmond) win Premierships.
I heard Ratts comment on exactly this...he said when the possessions out of middle are fragmented the linking from mid to forward become chaotic. He said players know there's few centre advantages so they feel pressure to score and forget to control the play and bomb away. He said he's watched it his whole life and even done it himself and it's the worst outcome to bomb away, he actually said we'd be better off to kick it backwards than bomb it forward.

I agree. If we had 2 or 3 hot sh1te tall and medium forwards....sure, have a go but Membrey is playing high and King is getting slaughtered.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Max would be dominating in a team that could move the ball quick and hit up a lead.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope the 2nd best King brother has a good game against kennies mob.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 5:12pm

Not too worried.

Gawd, Teflon, you're making too much sense :shock:
If we could turn back time, the club should've suspended the #12 jumper, and give King another jumper. I don't care which one.
Putting that much pressure on a young guy who is built like a baby giraffe and moves like one.
He doesn't know his own body yet

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

King is the new messiah!!!
Remember Rod Owen getting sent to play a praccy game in Benalla or somewhere in country Vic, as a schoolboy.
Kicked 6-7 goals.
One of the club officials whispered in his ear "you'll be captain by age 22, bugger school, that's for losers"

How did THAT work out?
Those who ignore the mistakes of history, are doomed to repeat them (or something)
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 24 Apr 2021 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ben leads more than Max and is a more reliable kick.

If both were to play in the same team, I’d play Ben from the goalsquare and Max higher.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:13pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:28pm Lloyd hinted that Ben will try and get to St Kilda at some stage. Could be as soon as the end of 2021.
That really needs to happen!

That happens and we challenge - seriously - for a Grand Final berth.
Add Zach Merret, a coherent/organised playing system and game plan combined with a strong desire and you just may be right.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Max generally cops the best backman.
Ben is switching between half back and half forward week by week.

Ben has an extra 12 full months playing in the system.

Hopefully Ben decides to come down. I was thinking that it would be good to have one across half back and one forward. But I reckon both up forward could actually work.

Max is going to be a monster.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I just hope we end up with both of them & I think it can happen obviously we will have to give something big to get him but IMO it will be worth it.