Tasmania. Why?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

repta
Club Player

Tasmania. Why?

I constantly read everywhere that one of our biggest mistakes is that we didnt continue with Tasmania.
I see many on the Site who (almost) actively encourage the Saints to move to Tasmania.

I really don't understand the push or why a Saints supporter would want them to move permanently to Tasmania. The reasons that I see are always

1. Longevity of the Club
- To me the day it becomes the Tasmania Saints (or some variation) is the day the club dies.

2. Financial
- It is a club, which should be for the members, not a for profit greedy conglomerate. Yes the Club needs to make money (which we are incredibly bad at) to be viable. Massive profits should not be a key goal of any club. Or if it is a key goal do it properly and sell out to corporate greed

Therefore why do you support StKilda

1. Area (locality). The majority of supporters are in the South and South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. We have little other competitors in a very vibrant affluent area.
- A move to Tasmania will destroy any allegiance to the South/South East of Melbourne. There isnt too many Fitzroy / South Melbourne jumpers at Auskick

A move away would mean the loss of StKilda as a name and area

2. Saints Name
- Personally not religious or superstitious. Therefore doesnt either attract or deter from support.

3. Colours
- Good colours. But I cant see that it would give affinity to anyone. Eg Navy Blue (Carlton), Teal (Port), Orange etc etc.
- They arent highly recognisable for marketing other than just for the stripes (no one has ever referred to the Saints crowd as a "Sea of ....."

4. Success
- mmmm ... move along .....

5. Combination of the above
- For me it was family which came about through area (locality).

A move to Tasmania to me would be a complete loss of locality and therefore identity. It is the local presence and not the name 'Saints'. DO you name which wouldn't be enough for me. I dont follow Southhampton in the Soccer or New Orleans in the NFL.
Any dream that a team that moves interstate would play 8-10 games in Melbourne would last 2-3 years at absolute best.

If it is purely financial move I hope the BHP Saints, or the Coles/Myer Saints, or Telstra Saints do well in the future (but I wont be watching).

Winmar7
Club Player

Re: Tasmania. Why?

Who's calling for a relocation to Tasmania...? Lots of talk that we missed a golden opportunity to do what Hawthorn and NM have done, which is true, but pack and move permanently? NO.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7 wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:45pm Who's calling for a relocation to Tasmania...? Lots of talk that we missed a golden opportunity to do what Hawthorn and NM have done, which is true, but pack and move permanently? NO.
I believe this is it in a nutshell

I do remember reading a few opinions here that a Saints relocation to Tassie would be met with a Goldcoast/GWS style injection of funds and plethora of picks and that that would be our best shot at a premiership

It wasn’t by any means a serious conversation or heavily campaigned for but in fairness to the OP a few forumites suggested it

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would we spend 30M on Moorabbin and move to Tassie?

Tassie deserves there own team!!!

We should’ve been playing 2 games per season in Tas every year!

Including Anzac Day. For the last 15 years
There’s 15M the club would’ve made
Plus membership
And we should have pushed for an Academy down there

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe "Academies" work, well, they definitely don't work when they are run by the Saints. I don't know why that is !

We keep churning out players who aren't at a good AFL standard.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes, we need to differentiate. We need to stand out!! But...

You’ve got it all wrong

We shouldn’t be going down south...Let’s go North. The Darwin Saints

We’ll get 10,000 Territorians on board and don’t forget...Darwin is a lot closer to Billions of new supporters (and sponsors) just a little further north :mrgreen: :wink:

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

At the moment I'd be happy for the club to fold up and move anywhere.

I see another four years of misery, compounded by vwatching the Demons and Bulldogs battle it out in finals.

Four years in the wilderness for a debt-riddled life-support club like St Kilda might be enough to finish us off.

kell
Club Player

The Saints will not be relocated to Tasmania as such a move would in my opinion be inconsistent with the AFL's mission. Won't happen.

kell
Club Player

I suspect there is a real chance teams in an unsustainable circumstance will amalgamate with more sustainable teams eg Roos/Carlton, Saints/Hawks

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Bumping an old thread as it's relate to the Tasmania push.

Hawks and North playing to an empty stadium.

It's a beautiful day but apparently Tasmanians are crazy about AFL

Not a good look for the people arguing for the Tasmanian team I would have thought.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 2:34pm Bumping an old thread as it's relate to the Tasmania push.

Not a good look for the people arguing for the Tasmanian team I would have thought.
Maybe its more about distance from token representation. That game is for North and Hawthorn, not Tasmanians.

The AFL doesn't want bad press about there motives for 'growing the profits......err, I mean game, nationally and 'Tasmania' has already paid to have 2 foreign teams play there long enough.

Its time for the real deal and the AFL no it's gonna put pressure on the GC.

Without real tribal culture, the sterile AFL approach to making profit won't work.

Eventually, the powerful Clubs might get the shifts and threaten superleague for real. Then Tassie would probably have a team in an over night decision.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 2:50pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 2:34pm Bumping an old thread as it's relate to the Tasmania push.

Maybe its more about distance from token representation. That game is for North and Hawthorn, not Tasmanians.

The AFL doesn't want bad press about there motives for 'growing the profits......err, I mean game, nationally and 'Tasmania' has already paid to have 2 foreign teams play there long enough.

Without real tribal culture, the sterile AFL approach to making profit won't work.

Eventually, the powerful Clubs might get the shifts and threaten superleague for real. Then Tassie would probably have a team in an over night decision.
Yeah I've heard the counter from Taswegions that the crowds are poor because they aren't interested in watching Victorians but the folk up in Cairns put up a much bigger crowd when two Victorian teams play.

If you love AFL/sport and live in the regions you turn up just to watch the game played by the best in the country don't you?

Part of me still can't get my head around the numbers for a state with a Population under 500k

As always these ventures need significant tax payer dollars and the footy punter thinks its a free gift from the sky.

Milne
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 3:35pm

Yeah I've heard the counter from Taswegions that the crowds are poor because they aren't interested in watching Victorians but the folk up in Cairns put up a much bigger crowd when two Victorian teams play.

If you love AFL/sport and live in the regions you turn up just to watch the game played by the best in the country don't you?

Part of me still can't get my head around the numbers for a state with a Population under 500k

As always these ventures need significant tax payer dollars and the footy punter thinks its a free gift from the sky.
I was at Cazalys last year. It's a small stadium and there was a lot of people attending the game who had come from interstate.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

This is my point. The sky pays alot more than the gate. TV runs the game. Gold Coast are a fill in between ads and a staggering amount of people in Southern states watch the games in Qld compared to regionally.
Locally, on Mate the GC averages 23000 viewers. Im pretty sure the broadcasters would prefer a Tassie game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 3:45pm

I was at Cazalys last year. It's a small stadium and there was a lot of people attending the game who had come from interstate.
Ofcourse...who would travel interstate to watch a game at Tasmania. (Insert smart arse emoji)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2023 3:52pm

This is my point. The sky pays alot more than the gate. TV runs the game. Gold Coast are a fill in between ads and a staggering amount of people in Southern states watch the games in Qld compared to regionally.
Locally, on Mate the GC averages 23000 viewers. Im pretty sure the broadcasters would prefer a Tassie game.
Ah yeah ok....yeah didn’t covid prove we will watch the game even when the stadium is full with cardboard cutouts...sponsored cardboard cutouts even, and fake crowd audio...give me a Ladbokes accounts and Kayo subscription and an uber eats account and I'm not dragging my fat hairy arse off the couch.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Norf lost.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 6:16pm I don't believe "Academies" work, well, they definitely don't work when they are run by the Saints. I don't know why that is !

Windhager & Owens say hello plus Cam Mackenzie who, if we were the Bulldogs or Sydney, would have played against Essendon. Academies do work if you are a favoured AFL market.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 1:41am
Wayne42 wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 6:16pm I don't believe "Academies" work, well, they definitely don't work when they are run by the Saints. I don't know why that is !

Windhager & Owens say hello plus Cam Mackenzie who, if we were the Bulldogs or Sydney, would have played against Essendon. Academies do work if you are a favoured AFL market.
I think we have the most successful NGA with 7 players being listed albeit with Biggy going to Richmond and McKenzie in the top 10 to Hawthorn.

We got Owens, Windhager, Peris and the kid that retired. We also drafted another NGA kid from last year, this year.

We are doing quite a few things right at the moment.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Don’t want relocation- Tassie deserves their own team

Our decision to bail out on Tassie was one of the worst calls in our history

Hawthorn benefited

asiu
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 10:45am Don’t want relocation- Tassie deserves their own team

Our decision to bail out on Tassie was one of the worst calls in our history

Hawthorn benefited
yes , yes 'n yes

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Look, Tasmania is going nowhere. Lowest wages, shortest life expectancy, crap health services and no f****** future for it's youth.

I was glad to leave for the mainland over 50 years ago and on trip backs I see nothing has changed. The North still hates the South and the South still ignores the North,

A state with a divided population which still hasn't reached a half million is not likely to be able to support an AFL team without massive assistance from the AFL. Which would be to the detriment of the Saints.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 02 Apr 2023 11:11am Look, Tasmania is going nowhere. Lowest wages, shortest life expectancy, crap health services and no f****** future for it's youth.

I was glad to leave for the mainland over 50 years ago and on trip backs I see nothing has changed. The North still hates the South and the South still ignores the North,

A state with a divided population which still hasn't reached a half million is not likely to be able to support an AFL team without massive assistance from the AFL. Which would be to the detriment of the Saints.
Tasmania is globally renowned, for all those reasons you mentioned.
It is an essentially uncorrupted environment and has world leading capacities for attracting high value tourism directed at personal safety, extraordinary natural beauty and wildlife, good local produce, wine and cuisine and accommodation and travel options from camping to 5 star and hiking to guided tour.

Its is also a cheap fare from the mainland comparatively, wherever you live, and its proximity to Melbourne would mean great potential for regular 'Cross the Strait' weekenf for the purposes of football.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Saints should move no further than the Junction Oval!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Tasmania the first state to electric street lighting .
Launceston too.
http://duckreach.com.au/the-lighting-of-launceston/

So how are the Tassie games, such as Norths and Hawthorns, justified?

Obviously it is not based on attendance figures.

Are they ‘gifts to Tasmania’ in the name of conscience?

Queensland has a huge booming population - and young (Tassies will age) , but that doesn’t mean it pays for itself. Gold Coast received over a 100 million bucks in subsidies last ten years..

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 5a1yp.html

I have shown this chart before, for those who are interested*

* - ya know - in the topic itself.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!