Matthew Lloyd & M King Kicking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Matthew Lloyd & M King Kicking

Lloyd seemed keen to help Max with his kicking. Has had experience in coaching kicking and ‘turned his goal kicking around’ through coaching.

Why on earth wouldn’t we engage Lloyd with King when they have a past relationship and he was an excellent shot at goal and he has had experience in coaching kicking..!! It’s a no brainer.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Matthew Lloyd & M King Kicking

I'm sure Lloyd would give great advice. Not sure who's giving it at the moment but it's not working. Again.

Set shot goal kicking is a strange thing. Every other kick in footy is either on the run, or off a few steps. Why players walk in and kick off 10-20 steps is beyond me.

Compare kick outs to set shots, players rarely shank them or miss their target by more than 3.2m. Those kicks are always off a few steps or on the run.

Goal kicking is primarily above the shoulders, but I've never understood the process of walking in to kick.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

A lot used to bag him for his exaggerated robotic approach, but I always thought Ahmed Saad gave himself every opportunity to kick his set shots.

Walked in and then ran in a very straight line with the middle of the big sticks, eyes planted on his target, ball perfectly still then nice drop watch the ball onto the foot, nicely balanced and kick through the ball.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Always found the opposite worked for me

I stayed as relaxed and natural as possible

IMO there should no difference between your field kicking action and kicking for goal.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I used to find that after lining the kick up, I’d just concentrate on kicking a good drop punt. In other words walk in straight and ball drop is sound, therefore you’ll kick it straight more often than not

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Set shot routine is a tradition and doesn't actually work well for most. Like you said, kickouts and field kicking are fine off 1-3 steps.
Explode through the kick, like spin bowling exploding through the crease. Less time thinking about ball to boot and pressure and alignment and etc etc, just send the ball where you want it to go.

It's really the media nuffies who would give goal kickers a hard time if they took 1-3 steps, Gary Lyon would laugh his arse off.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I recall Dermott Brereton stating that each player should set his routine based on his best kicking method.

It was something like Nick Holland was better when he stabbed it low and hard, Mark 'shot gun" Williams had the classic walk in a line kick through it in a relaxed manner etc and the best method was to work a routine for that player. Buckets marked his spot and worked out a routine that took him from horrendous the competent.

King spears his field kicks and kicks strong and low so that appears to be his method just needs to adopt a routine around this.

IMO he gets closer from 50 on a 45 degree angle than 30 out directly in front shows he relaxes at that distance and hits a better result, meaning I think it is a mental thing that he is tensing up with the less difficult shots.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He just needs to get back as quickly as possible, find his mark and get on with it. He looks like he doesn't want to kick. Its f****** torturous watching him, like his life depends on it. Its all in his head.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

5% technique 95% over the shoulders

Poor bastard has the tips big time and agree CQ it’s like the weight of the world is with him on every kick for goal…so hard to watch for the young fella

He’ll get it right but needs better support on the ground. As many noted, whilst the misses against Geelong were deflation for the whole team, the leaders should’ve got around maxy and supported him / pumped him up for the next one

#1 Ryder fan
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

David Rath has it all under control. Don’t worry about Max, he’ll be fine.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm confident that Max King will work it out himself without anyone's "help."

David Rath was "strategising" until recently with Hind, Marsh, Parker etc... in mind - how did that work out for him?
Sounds like he needs to be "helped" more than Max King does.

"Leave the kid alone."

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I heard Lloyd comment on a television footy show recently. He seemed to identify precisely what the problem was - along the lines, that King leans back, which throws his foot direction out. Also, he lets the ball release, too high (or something similar). Lloydy sounded like someone with a definitive solution and would be an ideal mentor in the kicking for goal department - he has the scores on the board.

MickThomas
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 4:01pm David Rath has it all under control. Don’t worry about Max, he’ll be fine.
"He's hurting as much as the supporters, if not more"
:lol:

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 4:01pm David Rath has it all under control. Don’t worry about Max, he’ll be fine.
Is this our left strategist?
Oh dear

“Yeah….nah””
MickThomas
Club Player

David Rath spent 15 yrs at the Hawks, during their 3-peat.
I suppose we need to have a bit of trust in the 'guru' (club called him a guru in the app)

But apart from 5 vs the WCE, Max is getting worse.
Example- falling over his own size 18 boots on a loose ball in space. After Lonie's courage.
What does *that* do to a team?
'Geezus, did we fracking walk under 22 ladders?'
'What else could go effin wrong?'

This, folks, is St Kilda.
A comedy of errors.
Benny Hill show.
Keystone Cops.
Parks n Recreation.
30 Rock.
Any Adam Sandler movie.
That 80s Tom Hanks movie where he buys a huge house that 'needs a bit of freshen up' and he falls thru a floor, all the wiring gets fried, the plumbing is all shot, I have a memory of Hanks in a wheelbarrow covered in blue paint...

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Lloyd coached Max during his junior years and didnt improve his kicking. Why should we believe he can fix it now?
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Fri 21 May 2021 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Max should just aim for more air and a slower action in his kicks for goal, and not stab at it or try and direct it with a quick short follow through action. Not every great kick is a great coach.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 3:34pm 5% technique 95% over the shoulders
Or a technique that doesn’t stand up to pressure. Lack of confidence born from a technique that doesn’t give you any.

That’s coming from a keen golfer who has recovered from a persistent - and at times seemingly terminal - case of the yips. Yes, I’m still nervous standing over a four-footer. But so long as I set up right and hit THROUGH the ball, I give myself a good chance of making a good putt.

Thing is, if you decelerate on any shot in golf you are lost. Usually it leads to you lifting your head too early leading to all sorts of mis-hits ... shanks, pulls and the like. Like a kick that veers off the side of the boot almost at a right-angle.

Granted, Max may have other technical issues - ball drop, target awareness, aim, alignment - but I reckon there is a mechanical fix there somewhere.

I don’t think it it cause for alarm. He’s a confident kid and will get there naturally. But a few pointers from a good coach will get him there quicker. He’s never going to kick them all ... no one does. But he can become much more reliable over the short ones.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Can't believe he is allowed to walk in rolling the ball round and round...why would you introduce another variable into the equation?

Watch Plugger, so simple. Line it up, keep your head over it, kick through the line....rag doll your opponent

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 9:25am I'm sure Lloyd would give great advice. ....
Kicking technique is in flux constantly evolving from generation go generation.

Llotdo may already be old news.

Look at the kicking-around-the-corner thing in the last ten years..

Former full-fotwards were lamblasting the playes..but they persisted...and even Roo started doing it..Even from 45 degrees at 35 out.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

A great and experienced player by the name of Nat Fyfe has kicked 2.16 this year, so it can happen to anyone.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And Ben King has kicked 28g 13b even though he is young, when it’s ok to miss goals?!

Gershwin
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 1:36pm A great and experienced player by the name of Nat Fyfe has kicked 2.16 this year, so it can happen to anyone.
Only if they are poor kicks for goal.

summertime and the living is easy ........
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Least he hasn’t kicked poorly tonight!!!

He hasn’t got a kick in a half of footy!!!