The we’re not fit MYTH

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The we’re not fit MYTH

Keep reading this on here and am at odds as to why anyone thinks it’s true. Unless of course they’re referring to guys like Billing’s that carrying injuries into games. No idea where the players are not fit came from.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: The we’re not fit MYTH

CURLY wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 11:21am Keep reading this on here and am at odds as to why anyone thinks it’s true. Unless of course they’re referring to guys like Billing’s that carrying injuries into games. No idea where the players are not fit came from.
Not mentally fit for AFL football.
Were they suddenly fit for Hawthorn and West coast games but lost condition instantly?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 11:27am
CURLY wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 11:21am Keep reading this on here and am at odds as to why anyone thinks it’s true. Unless of course they’re referring to guys like Billing’s that carrying injuries into games. No idea where the players are not fit came from.
Not mentally fit for AFL football.
Were they suddenly fit for Hawthorn and West coast games but lost condition instantly?
I’d say we have a group of players out of form after breakout years. It happens all the time.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Some players don’t look fit

Obviously didn’t smash themselves pre season

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Its not rocket science, its because every week the have shown they cant run out games. They play the game in slowmo and against strong running teams they are no where near it. As a collective they are not running on top of the ground and every effort looks like hard work.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 12:09pm
Its not rocket science, its because every week the have shown they cant run out games. They play the game in slowmo and against strong running teams they are no where near it. As a collective they are not running on top of the ground and every effort looks like hard work.
So you actually don’t know that there not fit.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 12:15pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 12:09pm
So you actually don’t know that there not fit.
Take your 'rose coloured' glasses off, you dont need any more evidence than the last 1/4 last night. As I said its not rocket science, but perhaps you have no fundamental understanding of the game whatsoever?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Brad Crouch just on Triple M. He said he was shocked at the elite times the StKilda group for the 3km timetrial. Commented that the stories of them being unfit was miles off the mark.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 2:58pm Brad Crouch just on Triple M. He said he was shocked at the elite times the StKilda group for the 3km timetrial. Commented that the stories of them being unfit was miles off the mark.
To answer your question in your OP of this thread, I'd answer with a rhetorical question, do you know how echo chambers work.

But back on the actual issue of fitness, is it possible Crouchy is doing the right thing and defending his mates, it's one thing to do well in a straight line running and contactlless race and another to be match fit. But I wonder if the problem is more to do with the fitness of that muscle just above the shoulders.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Some are fit and run well

Some are visibly unfit... Higgins for instance

The Recruit
Club Player

Difference between can and want.

Culture and moral is at an all time low.
Can’t bring in new guys and think everyone will gel immediately.

The best thing we can do is travel together, have a few beers somewhere in nsw and Address some elephants with each other.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Of course Crouch is going to say that. Have you ever heard a player say that had anything other than they had a solid preseason? The collective only has to be 5% off and they get exposed, which has occurred in the majority of games this year.

People inside the club have suggested they didnt do the amount of running they did the year before. One because of the players returning later, the coaches wanting to be more skills focussed and then the pile up of injuries they incurred, hence they lessoned the loads.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I would take the word of Crouch before some of the posters on this forum .

Banger9798
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:21pm I would take the word of Crouch before some of the posters on this forum .
Why?
He is the most leveraged person conceivable.

Everyone on this forum would love to make the observation that the team is fit, but the evidence suggests strongly that they are not.

Not all players are as fit as each other and not all teams are as fit as each other.

As BM said, probably alot to do with how hard they went at Pre season.

Not hard enough by the looks.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The Recruit
Club Player

No reason to lie
If it wasn’t true he would have said something vanilla. To think he has made up a time trial story is laughable.

It’s actually worse IMO

Means they r fit but don’t want to run.
If they weren’t fit at least there is an easily solution- get fitter

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:27pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:21pm I would take the word of Crouch before some of the posters on this forum .
Why?
He is the most leveraged person conceivable.

Everyone on this forum would love to make the observation that the team is fit, but the evidence suggests strongly that they are not.

Not all players are as fit as each other and not all teams are as fit as each other.

As BM said, probably alot to do with how hard they went at Pre season.

Not hard enough by the looks.
Because Crouch was present during the time trials and saw the results first hand and as far as I am aware no one who regularly posts here apart from tony was.

And I haven't a f****** clue what your first sentence means.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Well how did Crouch account for the significant drop off in games?
Players constantly trailing their opponents to contests?
A complete lack of run from behind or link up play?

Players are well schooled by the clubs in what questions to expect in interviews and have answers ready to suit.

I just had a look at our GPS Tracker data and every game we have lost we have been out worked in Distance Covered and Repeat Sprints by the opposition. The games we have won were the exact opposite, excluding the GWS game where they out run us.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 30 May 2021 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:41pm

Players are well schooled by the clubs in what questions to expect in interviews and have answers ready to suit.
f***ed if I know mate, I didn't listen to the f****** interview, but I am with the recruit here, why the f*** would he lie and make crap up.

What you are doing is calling him a liar. :roll: :roll: :roll:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

He said you always look slow chasing arse as they have been. Very honest assessment. As for lying about the elite times StKilda players posted it would be easily proven a lie.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:45pm

f***ed if I know mate, I didn't listen to the f****** interview, but I am with the recruit here, why the f*** would he lie and make crap up.

No but clubs constantly feed the media details to suit there own positions. It would be niave to think that Crouch's interview was any different. Lets remember that he came from last year wooden spoon side, so one would expect there training standards were not that high.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:59pm

No but clubs constantly feed the media details to suit there own positions. It would be niave to think that Crouch's interview was any different. Lets remember that he came from last year wooden spoon side, so one would expect there training standards were not that high.
Curly posted "Brad Crouch just on Triple M. He said he was shocked at the elite times the StKilda group for the 3km time trial. Commented that the stories of them being unfit was miles off the mark."

So are you saying that Crouch was not shocked or that no Saints player ran elite times and that he was feed garbage by the club to mislead or fool supporters, or as you say, to suit the club's own purposes.

Your comment that Adelaide's training standards were probably not high is just your opinion. I expect the crows would beg to differ.

Who's f****** naive again. At least learn to spell the word. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by saynta on Sun 30 May 2021 6:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Injuries have cost the team excellent runners: Gresham, Jones, Paton, Marshall(for his size a big midfielder too. That has hurt. However I see a lack of forward structure and tactics hurting the team re running. The guys up the ground bust a gut to get it down there, but there is no spread, nothing unpredictable from the forwards. The ball just fires back up the ground looks like a slingshot, repeatedly; plus the shite kicking for goal. Those upfield have no time to get their wind and are caught out of position all the time. Three weak small forwards with little league bodies hasn’t helped either.

I reckon the only time something unpredictable happened in the forward line was in the second half of the Eagles match.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Banger9798
SS Life Member

The first sentence means - who else would have as much interest in putting a positive shine on the issue?

Like asking Rio Tinto for their rationale on blowing up the Jukkan Gorge, or a big pharmaceutical company about their research...you know that you will only get one side of the story.

Brad Crouch isn't likely to say about the club he has just joined : yeah I think we're below par for fitness....

No-ome is suggesting that they are completely unfit, but if you're 2-3% down against the oppo clubs you get found out.

I actually think we have some very fit players, I reckon Sinclair looks fitter than he ever has.

But the team overall seems to lack pace and stamina, and they look tired very early in games.

Not just once or twice but most games.

We had an extra day on the Doggies for recovery, so it is a pattern, and in the end you have to conclude maybe they aren't as fit as they should be.

Why is that so controversial?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:09pm

The first sentence means - who else would have as much interest in putting a positive shine on the issue?

Like asking Rio Tinto for their rationale on blowing up the Jukkan Gorge, or a big pharmaceutical company about their research...you know that you will only get one side of the story.

Brad Crouch isn't likely to say about the club he has just joined : yeah I think we're below par for fitness....

No-ome is suggesting that they are completely unfit, but if you're 2-3% down against the oppo clubs you get found out.

I actually think we have some very fit players, I reckon Sinclair looks fitter than he ever has.

But the team overall seems to lack pace and stamina, and they look tired very early in games.

We had an extra day on the Doggies for recovery, so it is a pattern, and in the end you have to conclude maybe they aren't as fit as they should be.

Crouch was responding to the article that Malthouse wrote and Triple M put it to him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:09pm

Thanks for the enlightenment. :roll: So you also say that Crouch is telling fibs?

I don' t know if they are fit or not, but Crouch says they are and any talk to the contrary is rubbish.

He knows more than me and I don't accept that the club tells him to lie or send up smoke screens. Would be far easier just to refuse him permission to be interviewed.

There is a problem with the team this year with the drop off in performance in some games, but not in others. They ran over the top of Weagles for example.

If it's fitness, then that's easy fixed, but personally. I think the problems go far deeper than that.