NGA question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

NGA question

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer for this, the AFL bought in a rule regarding NGA picks in the top 20 .

Is that 20 players or 20 picks? What i mean is lets say North at pick 1 select Daicos. Coll match under father son. North then select whoever with their pick. Is this for the NGA rules considered 2 selections done or just 1?

With Daicos and Darcey certain 1st round selections, ( i am not sure of any others), then potentially if it is picks as opposed to players, which to me seems fair that every club has a chance to pick, it may well be 22 or more players selected before NGA are tied to clubs?

outside66
Club Player

Re: NGA question

older saint wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 11:03am Just wondering if anyone knows the answer for this, the AFL bought in a rule regarding NGA picks in the top 20 .

Is that 20 players or 20 picks? What i mean is lets say North at pick 1 select Daicos. Coll match under father son. North then select whoever with their pick. Is this for the NGA rules considered 2 selections done or just 1?

With Daicos and Darcey certain 1st round selections, ( i am not sure of any others), then potentially if it is picks as opposed to players, which to me seems fair that every club has a chance to pick, it may well be 22 or more players selected before NGA are tied to clubs?
it's the first 20 players selected where it doesn't matter if there are father/son or academy players involved.

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: NGA question

outside66 wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 2:58pm
older saint wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 11:03am Just wondering if anyone knows the answer for this, the AFL bought in a rule regarding NGA picks in the top 20 .

it's the first 20 players selected where it doesn't matter if there are father/son or academy players involved.
Ok Thanks. That really doesn't make sense as all first round picks should be exempt not just first 20 players before the protection comes in - it is the AFL though so not surprised