Pride Game this Saturday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Pride Game this Saturday

What the Royal #)$(&_&_%(_)($% do we, as a club, have to be Proud of????

Until we have sustained success on field - I feel these 'cause' games are irrelevant.
Harden up St Kilda - Week in - Week out - we as supporters should know that you stand first and foremost for success on field

(I do not have a problem with the 'causes' but until we perform - we should be the 'cause')

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
amusingname
Club Player

Re: Pride Game this Saturday

What impact does it have on the team? When people complain about these games, they always seem to be saying that it is a distraction for the team. I am certain the playing group and football staff have no involvement in anything around the game, apart from a photo shoot and a couple of interviews for a few players. I can’t see how that distracts professional athletes who are available to the media before and after every game in some form.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why do we need to do it?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Why not?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

This pride rubbish is all so passe' now.

The LGBTIblalblala's have won. They have it all.

They can marry and their minorities control the discourse over the masses. Am I even allowed to say this?

A football club should have nothing to do with it.

No way would you see me in any kind of Saint's rainbow gear.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
carn_sainter
Club Player

It's not a big deal at all.

It's just marketing/branding for the club. It helps them to attract a segment of the population without alienating any segment of the population.

The club does all kinds of marketing and branding exercises. One could argue that's predominantly what the club is. As our history shows, we need financial success much more than we need on-field success to actually exist and the club prioritises that.

So you could argue we don't need it any more than we don't need alternate jumpers and jumper sponsors. But then again, you could argue we do need it.

Not a big deal. If it upsets anyone, anyone can write a letter to the club.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The LGBT+ community seems to be at war with itself over embracing trans campaigns, which are often anti-feminist (trans people taking Oympic roles from women) and even anti-LG (what's wrong with simply being gay?).

Wiser heads would have foreseen such rabbit-hole shenanigans and kept our club out of it.

But we have Finnis and co.

bergsone
SS Life Member

I am over all this BS,a game for this cause a game for that cause,just play the f****** game

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I worked with a guy in Switzerland who was from Victoria. Nominally he was a Bulldogs fan. I’ve bumped into him twice in Melbourne. Both times he was with his partner at the pride game.

If it’s bringing people in the gate or getting eyes on the screen from people who wouldn’t normally watch, it’s got to be a good thing.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
minneapolis
Club Player

It's branding and marketing and a bit of fair play thrown in. Get over it.

I bet you are not complaining about the Big Freeze at Melbourne FC.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I thought this was the team selection ins/outs thread. What's happened? No thread for team selection.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 6:11am It's branding and marketing and a bit of fair play thrown in. Get over it.

I bet you are not complaining about the Big Freeze at Melbourne FC.
The Big Freeze is played by two teams with sustained success

It is not the Cause - my objection is that Steele seemed to be the only one who showed any hurt to his 'Pride' last week
<--------------------------

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

This thread perfectly illustrates why things like the Pride game are needed.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 9:52am This thread perfectly illustrates why things like the Pride game are needed.
I hope that you are not including me in that - my issue is that our players appear to me to have no 'PRIDE' in the Crest or Colours
<-------------

― Aristophanes

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Pride, comes before a ....

Interesting there is still a need to use a euphemism. Notwithstanding it has been trademarked.

One day there may be an all inclusive everyone's equal no discrimination round. Imagine the playing strip design for that one. Long way off though when you see what's happening at the Crows.

Hope the celebratory round goes well for all concerned. Looking forward to our blokes putting in a serious effort even though out gunned.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 10:14am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 9:52am This thread perfectly illustrates why things like the Pride game are needed.
I hope that you are not including me in that - my issue is that our players appear to me to have no 'PRIDE' in the Crest or Colours
<-------------
These games have no impact on the way the team performs, all they do is help the cause and help raise St Kilda's profile, which can only be a good thing.

You mentioned the Big Freeze game is played by teams with sustained success, you realise Melbourne play in that game yeah??

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

<-------------
The blending of the word pride in terms of the concept of the match juxtapose with notion of performance and passion for the jumper… I think it’s murkied the waters a little.

But… I think you’ve been very clear about not expressing prejudice regarding the concept… hence I wouldn’t have thought so

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 10:54am
<-------------
These games have no impact on the way the team performs, all they do is help the cause and help raise St Kilda's profile, which can only be a good thing.

You mentioned the Big Freeze game is played by teams with sustained success, you realise Melbourne play in that game yeah??
The history of Melbourne
The pride of the jumper
The desire to play for the colours
The way that they are not shafted

Hell we are St Kilda - We bring our own Vaseline

Yes - I realise that Melbourne play in the Big Freeze game
***** Jealous

Which club would be missed from the AFL if they were to fold - Melbourne or St Kilda

[Still pissed at the games where we whimper]

I started this thread as I felt WE no right to any PRIDE after the sh!t we have dealt up this year

― Aristophanes

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

carn_sainter wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 11:56pm It's not a big deal at all.

It's just marketing/branding for the club. It helps them to attract a segment of the population without alienating any segment of the population.

The club does all kinds of marketing and branding exercises. One could argue that's predominantly what the club is. As our history shows, we need financial success much more than we need on-field success to actually exist and the club prioritises that.

So you could argue we don't need it any more than we don't need alternate jumpers and jumper sponsors. But then again, you could argue we do need it.

Not a big deal. If it upsets anyone, anyone can write a letter to the club.
I've actually yet to see any hard evidence that the aggressive push for modern companies to present themselves as on the side of popular progressive moral causes has any real financial benefits. I'm happy to be proven wrong but people say this a lot but never show the evidence and in fact I've seen practical cases where these things have a negative impact on the bottom line.

That having been said if these measures are just cynical and cheap actions that are merely meant to make the club more money then doesn't that make them objectionable in of itself? Personally I wouldn't like the idea of someone exploiting my identity to make a few bucks.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 2:47pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 10:54am
<-------------

The history of Melbourne
The pride of the jumper
The desire to play for the colours
The way that they are not shafted

Hell we are St Kilda - We bring our own Vaseline

Yes - I realise that Melbourne play in the Big Freeze game
***** Jealous

Which club would be missed from the AFL if they were to fold - Melbourne or St Kilda

[Still pissed at the games where we whimper]

I started this thread as I felt WE no right to any PRIDE after the sh!t we have dealt up this year
Yes I agree, we have had many pea-hearted performances this year, including last week.

Still has nothing to do with the Pride game though.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 3:22pm
Yes I agree, we have had many pea-hearted performances this year, including last week.

Did you even read the opening post - or just pile on????

Let me remind you
Sainter_Dad wrote:

Until we have sustained success on field - I feel these 'cause' games are irrelevant.
Harden up St Kilda - Week in - Week out - we as supporters should know that you stand first and foremost for success on field
And to spell it out

We are playing a pride Game this week - but we have no right to be Proud of ANYTHING last week and a few other times this year

Until we have sustained success on field we as a club in total should be concentrating on winning the f@rking football game and therefore I feel these 'cause' games are irrelevant.
Maybe I should phrase it - It does not matter if the meal is Steak or Sausages if you have bowel crippling diarrhea. We, at the moment, ARE the sh!ts and need to harden the f@rk up

So having no perceived PRIDE in the jumper and the club and the colours has no bearing on a game called a PRIDE game - hmmm - Go figure

Sometime Dud - I think you purposely look for ways to be obtuse and pick stuff just to be 'semi-relevant'.

― Aristophanes

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Got to say , I don't get all of the this confusion around gender.
Seems to reflect the fundamental confusion in the world.

Be kind and inclusive to all, but why elevate these issues?

Are we going to have a Diabetes round?
A round for people who love Star Wars?
A round for people who identify as Geniuses?

I mean , it is footy FFS

No doubt I have committed some sort of hate crime by wanting a Footy round, but on what basis can you be Proud of something that as they seem determined to point out, is part of their make up from the get go?

Tell me when the Round for slightly overweight, balding middle aged men is an I'm available as flagbearer.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
amusingname
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 3:41pm

Let me remind you
Sainter_Dad wrote:

And to spell it out

We are playing a pride Game this week - but we have no right to be Proud of ANYTHING last week and a few other times this year

Until we have sustained success on field we as a club in total should be concentrating on winning the f@rking football game and therefore I feel these 'cause' games are irrelevant.
Maybe I should phrase it - It does not matter if the meal is Steak or Sausages if you have bowel crippling diarrhea. We, at the moment, ARE the sh!ts and need to harden the f@rk up

So having no perceived PRIDE in the jumper and the club and the colours has no bearing on a game called a PRIDE game - hmmm - Go figure

Sometime Dud - I think you purposely look for ways to be obtuse and pick stuff just to be 'semi-relevant'.
My issue with your OP is that you are using the notion that ‘Pride’ in the way that the game between st Kilda and Sydney every year for some time is about trying to celebrate diversity and inclusion, is somehow not something that should be done because the team hasn’t showed pride in the jumper in recent games. That is conflating 2 separate things that are not really relevant to each other. Yes, we should be playing better and the performances have been poor. In my opinion that doesn’t mean that everything else that the club is doing should stop until that is rectified.

Should we also tell the construction company to stop building the Danny Frawley centre until the team starts showing some heart?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The concept is terrific. But if the aim is to enlighten and to normalise (is it?) diverse sexualities then having one team failing competitively in these headline games might devalue the initiative or at least desensitise those paying attention. Might suggest the playing group is not buying in which is not a good role model thing. I am sure the team does see these special round games as having special significance, they just seem to have trouble demonstrating their feelings. Perhaps tomorrow night. Courteny Act as celebrity medi sub! subject to AFLPA agreement.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 6:17pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 3:41pm

Let me remind you
Sainter_Dad wrote:

And to spell it out

My issue with your OP is that you are using the notion that ‘Pride’ in the way that the game between st Kilda and Sydney every year for some time is about trying to celebrate diversity and inclusion, is somehow not something that should be done because the team hasn’t showed pride in the jumper in recent games. That is conflating 2 separate things that are not really relevant to each other. Yes, we should be playing better and the performances have been poor. In my opinion that doesn’t mean that everything else that the club is doing should stop until that is rectified.

Should we also tell the construction company to stop building the Danny Frawley centre until the team starts showing some heart?
If you took that as my meaning - I apologise - I just meant that only a handful of our players are playing in a way that indicates Pride in anything - I specifically said that I did not have an issue with the Reason for the game - just that we are not showing Pride in anything at the moment

― Aristophanes