Clarkson to the Saints in 2023?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Clarkson to the Saints in 2023?

With news circulating that Clarkson may take a year out (2022) and that Carlton will take Lyon & that Collingwood are interviewing other potentials coaches (not Clarkson) it may open up an avenue for the Saints to pounce given Ratten's contract ends next year

With David Rath (ex-Hawks) at the Saints and heavy hitters like Lethers & Gubby Allen could Clarkson be convinced to take up the challenge to get the Saints that elusive 2nd Premiership? (if we don't win it next year of course :wink:)

If the Bluescum and the Filth do go with other coaches I reckon we could be in the box seat to grab Clarkson as I am not sure he would be interested in going interstate (surely not to Gold Coast :shock:)

As for other Victorian teams -

Beveridge (Bullies) is contracted to 2023
Goodwin (Dees) until 2022 - I can see him signing an extension
Hardwick (Tigers) until 2024
Rutten (Dopers) until 2023
Scott (Cats) until 2022 - could be extended but not sure Clarkson would want to go there as the Cats could fall off a cliff given their age demographic
Noble - (North) rolling contract - if North rises next year which they could then they may decide to keep him on - though Clarkson was ex-North player so might be tempted to finish where he started and there is plenty of young talent on the North list especially with the no 1 draft pick this year coming on board and likely another low draft pick next year

Could Clarkson after a year to refresh be convinced/fuelled to coach the Saints knowing that he might have 2 Kings and some exciting young talent at his disposal and finals ready Saints and not a basket case?

Clarkson is already an AFL coaching legend but taking the Saints to Premiership glory would surely be his greatest achievement and the cherry on top of an immense career :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarkson to the Saints in 2023?

Dare to dream
I’d actually like to see Ratten succeed....I’m praying he can coach I’m still not sold
What worries me....he seems to lack a bit of creativity when sides start to get hold of us.....and I will say some selections are puzzling
I’m also worried he lacks mongrel ...he’s Richo-like in that regard where I think some Clarkson grunt at times might be what this club needs to shake up the nice boys brigade...
Next year for Ratts is it....would not want a repeat of multiple smashing by oppo clubs

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How about Clarko director of coaching? He and Ratts had a very good working relationship at Hawthorn I hear. It could be a similar type of arrangement.

But could we afford him? Maybe he’d only want a head job etc, etc.

Pie-in-the-sky stuff, but yes, we can dream

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What does a director of Coaching do?

Do they tell the coach how to coach??

Maybe get AR back for that role, he’s doing ok at Melbourne it seems??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 1:16am What does a director of Coaching do?

Do they tell the coach how to coach??

Maybe get AR back for that role, he’s doing ok at Melbourne it seems??
If it were to happen … and, as I said, it is pie-in-the-sky stuff … it could be a continuation of how they operated together at Hawthorn. As a team and, from all accounts, with a very good working relationship.

But it’s most unlikely. I doubt we could afford Clarko and he probably wants a full-on head coaching role.

As for Richo, no thanks. He’s had his time at St Kilda.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 12:25am Dare to dream
I’d actually like to see Ratten succeed....I’m praying he can coach I’m still not sold
What worries me....he seems to lack a bit of creativity when sides start to get hold of us.....and I will say some selections are puzzling
I’m also worried he lacks mongrel ...he’s Richo-like in that regard where I think some Clarkson grunt at times might be what this club needs to shake up the nice boys brigade...
Next year for Ratts is it....would not want a repeat of multiple smashing by oppo clubs
Pretty much exactly how I feel. Want to see a bit of mongrel and toughness in him. Does have some Richoesque qualities. And yes indeed, baffling selections.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

We don’t have many aggro’ish players on the list

Jones and Howard play an aggressive brand
Carlisle had a bit too

Struggling to think of anyone else that played that style

St Plugger
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 2:25pm We don’t have many aggro’ish players on the list

Jones and Howard play an aggressive brand
Carlisle had a bit too

Struggling to think of anyone else that played that style
You could add Battle and Long to that list. Both have a bit of "attitude"!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda would probably pass on Clarkson and get Dew.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sanctorum
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Wed 18 Aug 2021 11:57pm With news circulating that Clarkson may take a year out (2022) and that Carlton will take Lyon & that Collingwood are interviewing other potentials coaches (not Clarkson) it may open up an avenue for the Saints to pounce given Ratten's contract ends next year

With David Rath (ex-Hawks) at the Saints and heavy hitters like Lethers & Gubby Allen could Clarkson be convinced to take up the challenge to get the Saints that elusive 2nd Premiership? (if we don't win it next year of course :wink:)

If the Bluescum and the Filth do go with other coaches I reckon we could be in the box seat to grab Clarkson as I am not sure he would be interested in going interstate (surely not to Gold Coast :shock:)

As for other Victorian teams -

Beveridge (Bullies) is contracted to 2023
Goodwin (Dees) until 2022 - I can see him signing an extension
Hardwick (Tigers) until 2024
Rutten (Dopers) until 2023
Scott (Cats) until 2022 - could be extended but not sure Clarkson would want to go there as the Cats could fall off a cliff given their age demographic
Noble - (North) rolling contract - if North rises next year which they could then they may decide to keep him on - though Clarkson was ex-North player so might be tempted to finish where he started and there is plenty of young talent on the North list especially with the no 1 draft pick this year coming on board and likely another low draft pick next year

Could Clarkson after a year to refresh be convinced/fuelled to coach the Saints knowing that he might have 2 Kings and some exciting young talent at his disposal and finals ready Saints and not a basket case?

Clarkson is already an AFL coaching legend but taking the Saints to Premiership glory would surely be his greatest achievement and the cherry on top of an immense career :twisted:
That's not as "far out" as it seems, St Kilda certainly have some really strong personalities amongst its coterie - Shane Warne, Molly Meldrum, Eric Bana to name a few, who would throw their weight behind this, both in persuading Clarko he could become the Messiah to succeed in conquering the mountain that has only been scaled once in over 140 years, and to raise the funds to make it happen. In any case, a Clarkson coached St Kilda is bound to turn the club's finances around and attract some big name sponsors.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

More than fanciful

It’s not happening

Will coach Carlton, Collingwood or GC in 2022

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

If 2022 is like 2021 -- huge losses and giving up substantial leads -- then Ratten must go.

Please not another Richo-like reign of nice-guy mediocrity.

Will Clarko be available by then?

Well, Lyon is firming for the Carlton job.

Nobody, including Clarho, seems to want the Collingwood job.

GC is a graveyard for coaches and I think Clarko knows that.

So yeah, maybe.

The Peanut
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Wed 18 Aug 2021 11:57pm With news circulating that Clarkson may take a year out (2022) and that Carlton will take Lyon & that Collingwood are interviewing other potentials coaches (not Clarkson) it may open up an avenue for the Saints to pounce given Ratten's contract ends next year

etc etc
Without going into all the detail, my mind actually had the same thought, but then I said to myself, stop dreaming ya peanut.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re the OP…tell him he’s dreaming!

The only way we land Clarkson is if it is a part of our relocation to Tassie

#1 Ryder fan
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

After watching the Clarko interview on 360 I'm even more convinced Clarko is going to thoroughly enjoy his fully paid year off and then take the job at the Gold Coast Suns in 2023.

It's the perfect choice for a man about his age, buy a mansion on the beach and live the dream in a tropical environment on salary package with a squillion and most likely supplemented by the AFL to stop the mass exodus of players leaving.

I'll bet my left testicle the AFL have already asked Leigh Mathews to have a word with Clarko and convince him it is great deal. It sells itself though really.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 8:02am Re the OP…tell him he’s dreaming!

The only way we land Clarkson is if it is a part of our relocation to Tassie
Ha .... not dreaming - just posing a question :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
older saint
SS Life Member

Unfortunately this post sums up StKilda, barring a couple periods , ever since I have followed them. I believe the club influences the mindset of supporters.

What type of supporters (except those beaten to a pulp, like us) instead of talking up hope for '22 , we are talking about what happens if we have another bad year and who can replace the coach. This is the problem Stkilda have - no expectation of success.

We had it for a little bit in the 2000's, however that was eroded again by poor management , which flowed through to poor recruiting , coach selection etc. This put us back in the mentality of making finals being a surprise not an expectation. I honestly believe until this changes we will continue to be the club with the greatest loss %, and continue to hope to fluke the next flag.

Hawthorn is a great example of building expectation , going through a rebuild but making good off field decisions ( pre 2021). They see a down year as a step on the path to success rather than a down year being a start again position.

Not having a crack at the author or those who commented and I know off topic I know so apologies - By the way Clarko will be coaching GC be it 2022 or 2023 - and dont worry about soft cap , like they did with Plugger the AFL will make sure he gets paid.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 9:13am After watching the Clarko interview on 360 I'm even more convinced Clarko is going to thoroughly enjoy his fully paid year off and then take the job at the Gold Coast Suns in 2023.

It's the perfect choice for a man about his age, buy a mansion on the beach and live the dream in a tropical environment on salary package with a squillion and most likely supplemented by the AFL to stop the mass exodus of players leaving.

I'll bet my left testicle the AFL have already asked Leigh Mathews to have a word with Clarko and convince him it is great deal. It sells itself though really.
Crikey Vortex, have you checked to see if it's still there, I would've thought you'd already lost it in a previous bet?????

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Sanctorum
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 9:59am Unfortunately this post sums up StKilda, barring a couple periods , ever since I have followed them. I believe the club influences the mindset of supporters.

What type of supporters (except those beaten to a pulp, like us) instead of talking up hope for '22 , we are talking about what happens if we have another bad year and who can replace the coach. This is the problem Stkilda have - no expectation of success.

We had it for a little bit in the 2000's, however that was eroded again by poor management , which flowed through to poor recruiting , coach selection etc. This put us back in the mentality of making finals being a surprise not an expectation. I honestly believe until this changes we will continue to be the club with the greatest loss %, and continue to hope to fluke the next flag.

Hawthorn is a great example of building expectation , going through a rebuild but making good off field decisions ( pre 2021). They see a down year as a step on the path to success rather than a down year being a start again position.

Not having a crack at the author or those who commented and I know off topic I know so apologies - By the way Clarko will be coaching GC be it 2022 or 2023 - and dont worry about soft cap , like they did with Plugger the AFL will make sure he gets paid.
What you're referring to here older saint is the lack of a winning culture at our footy club, something that I know is being addressed by everyone at Moorabbin.

Problem is that the team needs to get a lot more wins than they do now and it's unfair to judge Ratten and his assistants on 2021 due to the unavailability of some many "best 22" to play this year.

I don't know what the stats are in Richmond winning the last 2 premierships but I expect they probably had pretty much the same players on the pitch week in week out. If you're continually changing the line-up every week there is little chance the players can combine as a team to win consistently.

I've said before that I expect the club to take a long hard look at what went wrong this year with so many players suffering soft tissue injuries, and do what's required to make sure it doesn't happen next year.

Fix that, bring in a couple of missing pieces, and the Saints will certainly be a much improved side and play finals again!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Mr Clarkson has been an assistant at St Kilda - in 1999 (how were we travelling then? Tim Watson era? Record loss against Hawks) so may have some affinity/sympathy however doubt he would do anything against Ratts.

If we do not make 8 in 22 and Mr Clarkson is available he may consider Saints. I doubt Ratts will stay if we miss 8 in '22 anyway. (Look for a more ruthless approach from Brett from now)

How about he sees '22 as the wrong Covid year to take a break so comes to us as an assistant/consultant? Could that work? (Acknowledgement to posters that already thought of that first.)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 1:05pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 9:13am After watching the Clarko interview on 360 I'm even more convinced Clarko is going to thoroughly enjoy his fully paid year off and then take the job at the Gold Coast Suns in 2023.

Crikey Vortex, have you checked to see if it's still there, I would've thought you'd already lost it in a previous bet?????
I think I have arrived at that age Sanctorum where knackers are almost useless to me and so it is probably the reason I treat them with scant regard.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 3:52pm More than fanciful

It’s not happening

Will coach Carlton, Collingwood or GC in 2022
I’m told by an ITK at Collingwood that Clarkson will not be their coach. Graham Wright and Clarko apparently have issues.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
older saint
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 1:22pm
older saint wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 9:59am Unfortunately this post sums up StKilda, barring a couple periods , ever since I have followed them. I believe the club influences the mindset of supporters.

What you're referring to here older saint is the lack of a winning culture at our footy club, something that I know is being addressed by everyone at Moorabbin.

Problem is that the team needs to get a lot more wins than they do now and it's unfair to judge Ratten and his assistants on 2021 due to the unavailability of some many "best 22" to play this year.

I don't know what the stats are in Richmond winning the last 2 premierships but I expect they probably had pretty much the same players on the pitch week in week out. If you're continually changing the line-up every week there is little chance the players can combine as a team to win consistently.

I've said before that I expect the club to take a long hard look at what went wrong this year with so many players suffering soft tissue injuries, and do what's required to make sure it doesn't happen next year.

Fix that, bring in a couple of missing pieces, and the Saints will certainly be a much improved side and play finals again!
Huge questions need to be asked re fitness staff and pre season. yes it was a shorter pre season but how did they get it so wrong. Injuries cruelled us - top of list of missed games through injury .Injuries determine finals - look at Essendon nearly a full list to choose from, Melbourne very similar.
Recruiting also - was Allison a mistake so high or was the situation of a poor pre season a pre curser to not appearing close to getting a game.
We cant be Carlton and remove a coach every time we have a bad year because people like Caro/Cornes needs a headline.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 6:17pm
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 1:22pm

Huge questions need to be asked re fitness staff and pre season. yes it was a shorter pre season but how did they get it so wrong. Injuries cruelled us - top of list of missed games through injury .Injuries determine finals - look at Essendon nearly a full list to choose from, Melbourne very similar.
Recruiting also - was Allison a mistake so high or was the situation of a poor pre season a pre curser to not appearing close to getting a game.
We cant be Carlton and remove a coach every time we have a bad year because people like Caro/Cornes needs a headline.
"Caro/Cornes".... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Glad to see you "bracket' those two... Pair of arseclowns if there was ever such a pair.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

My prediction is we finish top 4 next year and all will be praising Ratten.m