Hayden McLean

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.rod
Club Player

Hayden McLean

Absolutely perfect for us. Has played at Sandy. Can play forward and relieve in ruck. Good mark and reasonably accurate in front of goal. Only 22 yo. We are apparently interested and Swans have little salary cap space. Maybe could play CHB too! Go for it Sainters go for it. Sorry if previoulsy posted.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hayden McLean

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/18/ ... wans-tall/

Sounds like a good option. You have to wonder WTF was going on with our recruitment when he was right under our eyes at Sandringham?

Include McLean 197 forward/ruckman and Sam Skinner 197cm key defender from South Adelaide and we have our depth covered.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.rod wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 10:37am Absolutely perfect for us. Has played at Sandy. Can play forward and relieve in ruck. Good mark and reasonably accurate in front of goal. Only 22 yo. We are apparently interested and Swans have little salary cap space. Maybe could play CHB too! Go for it Sainters go for it. Sorry if previoulsy posted.
Excuse my concern Hayden, but when you say "reasonably accurate in front of goal", what do the percentages say?

I

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Has he been that good

To be undersized, you need to be extremely athletic - is he

He’s a bit meh for me

197cm
Forward Ruck Fringe AFL player

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 11:29am
st.rod wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 10:37am Absolutely perfect for us. Has played at Sandy. Can play forward and relieve in ruck. Good mark and reasonably accurate in front of goal. Only 22 yo. We are apparently interested and Swans have little salary cap space. Maybe could play CHB too! Go for it Sainters go for it. Sorry if previoulsy posted.
Excuse my concern Hayden, but when you say "reasonably accurate in front of goal", what do the percentages say?

I
This year 64% (rated above average)

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 11:38am Has he been that good

To be undersized, you need to be extremely athletic - is he

He’s a bit meh for me

197cm
Forward Ruck Fringe AFL player
Have you watched him play?

I see a lot of Swans games and this guy has so much potential.

Unfortunately for him gets selected usually only when Buddy out. So hard to build consistency

Earlier this year when he strung some games together scored 108 AFL fantasy points v Collingwood (a huge score for a young forward)

Would take him in a heart beat

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Lets remember he is a forward/ruckman and is taller than most backup rucks. if he can play forward and give Marshall a chop out he is the perfect foil.

wally
Club Player

It was reported we went hard for Draper from Ess. A couple of years ago before he had played a game I think they resigned him quickly so maybe they are onto something

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 11:47am

I
Would you say that is a VFL benchmark? And what is the potential to develop to AFL standards? What is considered above average for a tall forwards conversion rate in the AFL?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Certainly sounds like the TYPE we need. I haven’t seen him play though, so that’s about as much as I can contribute.

outside66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 1:07pm
terry smith rules wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 11:47am

I
Would you say that is a VFL benchmark? And what is the potential to develop to AFL standards? What is considered above average for a tall forwards conversion rate in the AFL?
above average for key forwards in the AFL re goal accuracy is 58% and above according to afl.com.au

FWIW St Kilda don't have any tall forwards with above average accuracy for goal kicking this year (no surprises really)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I would think Sydney would keep McLean on it's list and dump the past it, injury prone Sam Reid.

Just because Sydney has yet to re-sign McLean doesn't mean they don't want him, they probably want to sort
out Parker first.

But, if they prefer Amartey then get McLean, better than anyone else we have at 197cm.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 12:53pm It was reported we went hard for Draper from Ess. A couple of years ago before he had played a game I think they resigned him quickly so maybe they are onto something
Rising star winner

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The year that Sydney picked up McLean, we let Hickey go. I’m not sure if Alabakis was meant to be a replacement but it hasn’t really worked out.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just had a look at his numbers as a mature age pick up from Sandy

3 years
20 games
8.4 disposals
3.7 marks
3.0 clangers
0.7 goals
4.0 hit outs

What part of that is promising??

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 3:51pm Just had a look at his numbers as a mature age pick up from Sandy

3 years
20 games
8.4 disposals
3.7 marks
3.0 clangers
0.7 goals
4.0 hit outs

What part of that is promising??

Again have you actually watched any of his games?

Secondly recruited at age 19 and now 22, what part of that is mature

Compare his figures with Oscar Allen (not much difference) and I’m sure we’d snap him up
Last edited by terry smith rules on Thu 19 Aug 2021 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 2:50pm I would think Sydney would keep McLean on it's list and dump the past it, injury prone Sam Reid.

Just because Sydney has yet to re-sign McLean doesn't mean they don't want him, they probably want to sort
out Parker first.

But, if they prefer Amartey then get McLean, better than anyone else we have at 197cm.
The fact that St Kilda's interest in McLean is raised in the media suggests that it has the potential to happen, I assume he could get a better offer from the Saints, plus the "go home and play in front of my family and mates" factor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are uncontracted players free to go where they want, can Sydney refuse to let him go, I thought not??

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Of course I’ve watched him play. Watched him for a season at Sandy, then seen him play at Sydney, nothing special.

If he was good, he’d have better numbers.

Don’t rate undersized ruckmen or less than a goal per game forwards. Unless they have athletic abilities that make up for their lack of size - Like Ryder

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

22 years of age - our recent track record of recruiting Wilkie, Highmore, Sharman at similar ages suggests he is worth a look.
If he can help give Marshall a rest during a game then sounds like a good backup (what they tried to do with McKernan this year i suspect)
unfortunately I doubt Paddy plays more than half the games next year - becoming ever more susceptible to injury.
Ideally need to find 1 more almost ready to go backup ruckman with Hunter and Alabakis both unlikely to be at the club next year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 4:21pm Of course I’ve watched him play. Watched him for a season at Sandy, then seen him play at Sydney, nothing special.

If he was good, he’d have better numbers.

Don’t rate undersized ruckmen or less than a goal per game forwards. Unless they have athletic abilities that make up for their lack of size - Like Ryder
BM stop being such an obstructionist.

He is still a kid as far as talls go - 1 year older than King. Anyone has got to be an update on Hunter & McKernan and he wouldnt cost too much as a trade. Other players like Coleman-Jones Richmond would want a 1st rounder for, so I think McLean would be an astute pickup.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do I have to rate him because we are looking at picking him up?

We’ve picked up Hunter, McKernan, Abbott and a bit of other junk as well in recent years.

And some good pick ups too - Ryder, Crouch, Jones, Butler - but they aren’t perfect.

Long, Battle and Coffield seem to have weaknesses in their game which sees them struggling sometimes at senior level

Don’t rate young Allison

Rate Highmore

Rate Sharman

Jury out for me on Connolly, Byrnes, Bytel
Still young, have attributes but areas of concern.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Don't rate Allison? He is still just a boy. Thankfully the club still holds out promise for him.😁😄

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I agree with BM on Allison he is a highly skeptical choice, but he was starting to show some improvement in his latter games. At 18 a tall skinny kid needs some time to develop.

What he does have is he can run, is quick and is a very good kick. I'm not sure if hell ever have the frame or marking game to be a KPP? But give him a year or two before writing him off.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 6:13pm I agree with BM on Allison he is a highly skeptical choice, but he was starting to show some improvement in his latter games. At 18 a tall skinny kid needs some time to develop.

What he does have is he can run, is quick and is a very good kick. I'm not sure if hell ever have the frame or marking game to be a KPP? But give him a year or two before writing him off.
We gave up on our Tom Lynch too soon.
Adelaide made good use of him.
Don't repeat the same mistake.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 6:13pm I agree with BM on Allison he is a highly skeptical choice, but he was starting to show some improvement in his latter games. At 18 a tall skinny kid needs some time to develop.

We write our players off too quickly on this site and denigrate our champions. Been going on for years but it has got worse in the past two years. A shame really.