Part 2: Apparently he didn’t interview very well

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Part 2: Apparently he didn’t interview very well

Back in 2013 when we sacked Scott Watters, Chocco put his hand up to be our senior coach

We were told by people here on Saintsational that Mark Williams was a bit ‘difficult’ and too problematic (the same apologists who supported the decision to recruit McCartin). They told us he was a bit off the ‘rails’ or unhinged during his job interview

I’m pretty sure he would have never allowed our footy club to miss out on Petracca as the Number 1 pick

Whether he could have got us to the promised land…we’ll never know will we

Josh Battle
Club Player

Re: Part 2: Apparently he didn’t interview very well

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:33am Back in 2013 when we sacked Scott Watters, Chocco put his hand up to be our senior coach

We were told by people here on Saintsational that Mark Williams was a bit ‘difficult’ and too problematic (the same apologists who supported the decision to recruit McCartin). They told us he was a bit off the ‘rails’ or unhinged during his job interview

I’m pretty sure he would have never allowed our footy club to miss out on Petracca as the Number 1 pick

+1

Many Dees players preseason and in those early home and away rounds were talking at press conferences about what a huge positive influence Mark Williams was for the Melbourne Football club

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I personally think Williams was past it at that stage.

I don't think he's even a senior assistant at the Dees. More like a senior development coach and mentor.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:01am I personally think Williams was past it at that stage.

I don't think he's even a senior assistant at the Dees. More like a senior development coach and mentor.
Apologist :mrgreen:

:wink:

I think he is past it now, but back in 2013 I was really disappointed that we didn’t appoint him

I think it was all down to the tenure. We wanted to give him a 3 year contract and he said make it 5 or forget about it

I’ve heard Chocco talk about it and he said he told them he needed 5 years to get us to a premiership

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Haha.

He was dicking us around from memory. It was an ambit bid.

Club would have been negligent to give him a 5-year contract.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you’re calling it negligent to give Choc 5, what do you call it after we had Mr Beige for 5 and a half?

I call it f***** insane

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mr Beige

Is currently celebrating a premiership

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So are those cute girls in shorts or leggings who run out on the ground with water bottles

I’m sure they all played their role

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 2:00am Mr Beige

He certainly didn’t coach one

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

In the first half it looked like Mr Beige took their goalkicking during the week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Whilst hugging Petracca. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

damienc
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:33am Back in 2013 when we sacked Scott Watters, Chocco put his hand up to be our senior coach

A very under- rated coach by some. I have no idea why. He coached Port Adelaide to a premiership so he knows how to win one.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:19pm

Whilst hugging Petracca. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh the irony. Actually we should be thanked by Melbourne for gifting the gift that keeps on giving.

farquhar
Club Player

Mark Williams is the most under-rated AFL coach. He took Port to a premiership with very little support. He also knows football inside out. His father Fos Williams was one of the greatest ever coaches and Mark was playing senior football under his father from age 17 long before he went to Collingwood and became captain. He is a polarising figure and very intense and that puts some off. Yet the Melbourne players on Channel 9 today were happy to say how much they thought of him. He was a key figure in Dustin Martin's development at Richmond and also a key assistant coach at GWS. For us not to take him as a senior coach was a poor call in a long list of poor calls.

Maybe the reason we didn't appoint him is that he wouldn't have put up with the nonsense that defines the management of St Kilda. Best to go with someone who will fit in. Obviously to our eternal detriment.

Time for goal-kicking practice
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We are just Shyte scared
I wanted Williams cause we need that edge IMO
Lyon brought it later but that was then
I’m concerned Bretts just a tad cuddly to be honest ...
I can almost hear him as the players break for the year
“You guys just assess how you’re going pre season and if you feel like you want to get a bit fitter then ...it’s up to you”

Chocco??

“Come back unfit or not at set skinfold levels you won’t play....don’t care who you are...”

Everyone acknowledges our pathetic “choose your own adventure” pre season cost us badly this year
If that’s repeated Brett gets the arse IMO

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 7:18pm We are just Shyte scared
“You guys just assess how you’re going pre season and if you feel like you want to get a bit fitter then ...it’s up to you”

Chocco??

“Come back unfit or not at set skinfold levels you won’t play....don’t care who you are...”

Everyone acknowledges our pathetic “choose your own adventure” pre season cost us badly this year
bulls***.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

farquhar wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 5:06pm Mark Williams is the most under-rated AFL coach. He took Port to a premiership with very little support. He also knows football inside out. His father Fos Williams was one of the greatest ever coaches and Mark was playing senior football under his father from age 17 long before he went to Collingwood and became captain. He is a polarising figure and very intense and that puts some off. Yet the Melbourne players on Channel 9 today were happy to say how much they thought of him. He was a key figure in Dustin Martin's development at Richmond and also a key assistant coach at GWS. For us not to take him as a senior coach was a poor call in a long list of poor calls.

Maybe the reason we didn't appoint him is that he wouldn't have put up with the nonsense that defines the management of St Kilda. Best to go with someone who will fit in. Obviously to our eternal detriment.
Success seems to follow him might have to change his name from Choco to Midas :wink:

Saints58
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 7:18pm We are just Shyte scared

Chocco??

Totally agree its not junior footy its the AFL if the coach hurts your feelings get the f*** out of the club.
I have had a gut full its about time the players come back with a killer mentality ready to play and hungry. What worried me in some of the big losses was nobody seemed like they were really hurting and disgusted and embarrassed with the performance I know I was, I can take a loss but not a capitulation.