Draft What IF???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Draft What IF???

The general consensus is we need quality ball users through the midfield and outside speed.

What happens if Mac Andrew is available when our turn comes around?

While it is probably unlikely there are some Mock drafts which has him going between 8-12 which potentially leaves him in that window.

Do we :
- take him ( consideration to potential vs need and also the Ben King Scenario moving forward re size)
- pass on him and get the best mid need
- offer trade with WC or Ess ( next 2 picks ) to get another selection in the draft - 3rd rounder?

Thoughts

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft What IF???

Best player available

With FRDPs

It’s as simple as that?!

You DO NOT draft for immediate needs, you draft a player for 12-15years
HTF are you supposed to project the composition of a list 4 years down the track, let alone 8 or 12 years

You trade for needs.

Gershwin
Club Player

We take him and yell hallelujah!

We keep drafting and trading for mids and still aren't happy so we do it again. Our list is desperately lacking in talls and if we have injuries in this are we are cactus. Andrew might not be ready for a year or so but please, please let him be available.

We are likely to get 2 more mids in Owen and Windhager anyway.

The other area that we must address is tall Defenders. We need at least 2. We have lost Carlisle, Frawley and Claravino and if we think Battle, Coffield or Highmore can hold down a key Defender spot we are dreaming.

If we have to take a mid then hopefully Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - a genuine winger.

summertime and the living is easy ........
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Brad Howard or Nick Winmar for me

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 3:40pm

Thoughts

We pick the best available......unless there is only a smidgeon in it, in which case other factors like position, "go-home" factor etc also come into play.

Depending on who the 10 picks are prior to ours the best mids may all be gone as well.

On the other hand if say Gibcus and Amiss both get taken before our pick then there should be a good mid left. If not, then Mac might be a very attractive pic 11 for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

#1 Ryder fan
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I just hope we don't do our usual of calling a name that the commentators say:

"Well, that's a bit of a surprise from the Saints, most of us had him going in the 30's but obviously the Saints have seen something in young Brad Howard that no-one else has......ok next pick ...."

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Gershwin wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 4:43pm We take him and yell hallelujah!

We keep drafting and trading for mids and still aren't happy so we do it again. Our list is desperately lacking in talls and if we have injuries in this are we are cactus. Andrew might not be ready for a year or so but please, please let him be available.

The other area that we must address is tall Defenders. We need at least 2. We have lost Carlisle, Frawley and Claravino and if we think Battle, Coffield or Highmore can hold down a key Defender spot we are dreaming.

If we have to take a mid then hopefully Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - a genuine winger.
Spot on.

We may actually have record scores kicked against us this season if Dougal Howard misses any games. We literally do not presently have a defender on our list - other than Howard - who's taller than 193cm (Battle & Highmore). I do hope we have a strategy to redress that in the pre-season draft.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Joyce 195cm

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
DJ Higgins
Club Player

We are in a pickle this year. Usually I agree with best available but we don’t need mids as much as a ruck or key defender. Depending on who is available I’d seriously look at filling those spots especially with two mids coming on board via nga if things go to plan

Saints58
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 12:08pm
Gershwin wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 4:43pm We take him and yell hallelujah!

Spot on.

We may actually have record scores kicked against us this season if Dougal Howard misses any games. We literally do not presently have a defender on our list - other than Howard - who's taller than 193cm (Battle & Highmore). I do hope we have a strategy to redress that in the pre-season draft.

Well we do have Joyce at 194 IMO not really up to it and Allision who is 195 but is only 80kg is no match for big strong forwards.
So yes we are bugged again if we loose Dougal.
I herd Gallagher in a podcast say he thinks we have the coverage at the club when asked in Joyce and Allison so I hope we get a DFA will be cheap for a few years and a young KPP as well. Maybe someone like a Kaiden Brand who is 27 198 97kg KPB or a Michael Hartley who is 28 198 100kg just a few to look at.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I keep saying it

Ratten is very happy with Wilkie and Highmore as #2 & #3

Not sure I agree, but that’s the reason they were happy to delist Clavarino and haven’t added another Key Back

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our key defensive height is an issue, but our first pick should be the best player available. Battle or Highmore will be given the CHB responsibility and we will just have to manage.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Clavarino has no body strength and very little technique in one on one contests

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 1:09pm Clavarino has no body strength and very little technique in one on one contests
I wouldn't be surprised to see Clav end up at Carlton.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Gershwin
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 12:40pm I keep saying it

Ratten is very happy with Wilkie and Highmore as #2 & #3

Not sure I agree, but that’s the reason they were happy to delist Clavarino and haven’t added another Key Back
And I’ll get little satisfaction from saying ‘I told you so’ if/when we struggle due to no key defenders, but it will be a significant nail in Ratts coffin if that happens.

summertime and the living is easy ........
damienc
Club Player

older saint wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 3:40pm The general consensus is we need quality ball users through the midfield and outside speed.

While it is probably unlikely there are some Mock drafts which has him going between 8-12 which potentially leaves him in that window.

Do we :
- take him ( consideration to potential vs need and also the Ben King Scenario moving forward re size)
- offer trade with WC or Ess ( next 2 picks ) to get another selection in the draft - 3rd rounder?

Thoughts
You don't have to be Einstein to figure who the Saints are likely to go for with pick 9/11.

We need a line breaking outside mid who is good at winning his own ball, has defensive and attacking skills, with significant speed and an accurate penetrating kick and likely to be available at pick 11.

The list is small. The two prospects who readily spring to mind, because they fit that description, are Marcus Windhager and Josh Sinn of the Sandy Dragons. Windhager is an academy candidate who will come to us anyway in a match bid.

Pretty sure we will take Sinn at 11, if he is still available.

If we pick up Sinn, Windhager and Owens then that is an outstanding draft result.

I know people here think we need to bolster our defensive stocks but I don't think that view is shared by the footy club.

Sinn is versatile enough to slot in defensively or in the midfield which makes him a very attractive proposition particularly when you add his straight line speed.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

damienc wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 12:14pm
older saint wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 3:40pm The general consensus is we need quality ball users through the midfield and outside speed.

Do we :

Thoughts
You don't have to be Einstein to figure who the Saints are likely to go for with pick 9/11.

We need a line breaking outside mid who is good at winning his own ball, has defensive and attacking skills, with significant speed and an accurate penetrating kick and likely to be available at pick 11.

The list is small. The two prospects who readily spring to mind, because they fit that description, are Marcus Windhager and Josh Sinn of the Sandy Dragons. Windhager is an academy candidate who will come to us anyway in a match bid.

Pretty sure we will take Sinn at 11, if he is still available.

If we pick up Sinn, Windhager and Owens then that is an outstanding draft result.

I know people here think we need to bolster our defensive stocks but I don't think that view is shared by the footy club.

Sinn is versatile enough to slot in defensively or in the midfield which makes him a very attractive proposition particularly when you add his straight line speed.
Nothing against Josh Sinn but we don't need another HBF who may eventually play in the midfield as much as we need other positions filled so i prefer others
Huge Longshot wish would by Josh Gibcus but cant see him slipping to 11 so most likely we will take a Mac Andrew if available and wait two years to see if this was the correct call. If we have to pick a mid I would take a genuine winger so that is Wanganeen-Milera. I would love to see him and King work together as W-M hit his targets with sharp kicks not the long bombs inside 50 that we all hate.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope after next weeks drafts the club has a mid season draft selection available, just in case it drafts only mids and then realises it goofed on not drafting another Key Defender.

That way they may have a chance to redeem themselves.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
spiral3
Club Player

I haven't seen much of these young players, only highlights and write ups.
Mac Andrew is interesting, could be a good fit but worry a little about strength, contested footy side of his game
Wanganeen-Milera looks very classy but similar concerns re ability to win a contest. How would he go if he had a tagger running with him?
Seems a similar outside type player as Brad Hill who can look a million bucks but can disappear when given a tag.

I'm quite keen on Goater, even though he is ranked more in the mid to late teens by many pundits.
Good size, genuine versatility to play mid, wing, hff, hbf.
good skills, excellent vision/decision making, pace, agility, contested ball winning, strong in the air
I've only seen him in highlights but seems to do a lot of things very well

also like the look of Matt Johnson as well but WA go home factor a bit of a worry.

I'd be happy with any of Mac, Nasiah, Johnson & maybe Erasmus, Sonsie (smaller, injury prone?) but I think the Goat would be a very good pick.
Good size to compliment our smaller mids and ability to play inside/outside and in multiple positions