Training - Friday February 12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Training - Friday February 12

Today was a half a scratch match, with most players on the list competing plus a compliment of Sandy players.

NEW PLAYERS

MARCUS WINDHAGER- Didn’t look out of place at all, with his power running able to get him to many contests. Seems to have footy smarts and poise…exciting prospect, alternating between wing and forward.

MITCH OWENS - Not as prominent as Windhager but did some nice things in tight, spending a fair amount of time at centre bounces.

JOSIAH KYLE - Didn’t do a lot but has a lovely shimmy, is quick and dangerous, reminds me a bit of a young Charlie Cameron.

JACK PERIS - Super quick and has a crack…exciting to see him when he adds some size and strength.

JACK HAYES - Took a couple of strong one grab marks and kicked a goal…will be a good pick up and should debut early.

MAX HEATH - I really like his combativeness.
He held his own up against Marshall and didn’t take a backward step, winning a fair bit of possession and hit outs.

TOM CAMBELL - Inaffective and dropped 3 marks he should’ve taken.
Although undersized I think Hayes will be first cap off the rank if Marshall or Ryder are unavailable.

NASIAH WANGANEEN- Milera - Along with Kyle and Peris, NWM was rested half way through but did a couple of nice things.

Of the established players, Higgins and Membrey were outstanding, Paton very prominent, Wood lively between wing and half forward, Joyce did a good job on King, Hill and Sinclair providing run and flair down back, Wilkie, Webster and Howard very solid down back.
No apparent injuries but Young Connelly copped a heavy knock in a contested marking contest in a pack.
Sharman not sited, has looked flat each occasion I’ve seen him.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training - Friday February 12

Sharman sounds to 'off' the pace then?

Do you think Wood looks closer to selection than Sharman?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saintmike65
Club Player

At this rage Wood is in front of Sharman…he has the advantage of elite endurance and can play wing as well as a hybrid forward.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Kyle at it again!

Scoop
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 2:10pm Today was a half a scratch match, with most players on the list competing plus a compliment of Sandy players.

NEW PLAYERS

MARCUS WINDHAGER- Didn’t look out of place at all, with his power running able to get him to many contests. Seems to have footy smarts and poise…exciting prospect, alternating between wing and forward.

MITCH OWENS - Not as prominent as Windhager but did some nice things in tight, spending a fair amount of time at centre bounces.

JOSIAH KYLE - Didn’t do a lot but has a lovely shimmy, is quick and dangerous, reminds me a bit of a young Charlie Cameron.

JACK PERIS - Super quick and has a crack…exciting to see him when he adds some size and strength.

JACK HAYES - Took a couple of strong one grab marks and kicked a goal…will be a good pick up and should debut early.

He held his own up against Marshall and didn’t take a backward step, winning a fair bit of possession and hit outs.

TOM CAMBELL - Inaffective and dropped 3 marks he should’ve taken.
Although undersized I think Hayes will be first cap off the rank if Marshall or Ryder are unavailable.

NASIAH WANGANEEN- Milera - Along with Kyle and Peris, NWM was rested half way through but did a couple of nice things.

Of the established players, Higgins and Membrey were outstanding, Paton very prominent, Wood lively between wing and half forward, Joyce did a good job on King, Hill and Sinclair providing run and flair down back, Wilkie, Webster and Howard very solid down back.
No apparent injuries but Young Connelly copped a heavy knock in a contested marking contest in a pack.
Sharman not sited, has looked flat each occasion I’ve seen him.
As an addendum to Saintmike's excellent report, I thought Battle looked very assured down back today. His preseason so far has been excellent. He is looking very fit and is moving very well. I also share Saintmike's excitement with Windhager. As Bruce would say...he looks special!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

This is exciting

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It's a great report, but what's happening with Sharman? I thought he was one diamond in the rubble from last season. Damn..

Sanctorum
Club Player

Thanks for your report Saintmike65, Marcus Windhager has had a number of special mentions in the pre-season sessions and may well put pressure on Byrnes, Bytel, Billings for a spot in the team come round 1.

Also glad to hear that Max Heath is "combative" against his peers, I have long believed that he will debut in 2022 - at 204 cm he is the tallest player on the list and as a 19 year old I see no reason why he should be held back if form demands selection. In this regard it should be noted that Demon young gun ruckman Luke Jackson (199 cm) debuted at 19 and has established himself as a future star.

Given St Kilda's poor season in 2021 I believe selectors should go all out for youth this year if they're up for it, bugger reputations because for far too long established players like Hill, Billings, Ross, Geary etc have held their places in the team despite utter mediocrity.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 5:53pm Thanks for your report Saintmike65, Marcus Windhager has had a number of special mentions in the pre-season sessions and may well put pressure on Byrnes, Bytel, Billings for a spot in the team come round 1.

Also glad to hear that Max Heath is "combative" against his peers, I have long believed that he will debut in 2022 - at 204 cm he is the tallest player on the list and as a 19 year old I see no reason why he should be held back if form demands selection. In this regard it should be noted that Demon young gun ruckman Luke Jackson (199 cm) debuted at 19 and has established himself as a future star.

Given St Kilda's poor season in 2021 I believe selectors should go all out for youth this year if they're up for it, bugger reputations because for far too long established players like Hill, Billings, Ross, Geary etc have held their places in the team despite utter mediocrity.
:wink:

Gershwin
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 4:49pm It's a great report, but what's happening with Sharman? I thought he was one diamond in the rubble from last season. Damn..
February form means NOTHING. This was a scratch match between friends. Hill looks good. Just wait till he plays against decent opponents who kick goals on him.
Don't worry about Sharman.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 6:42pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 4:49pm It's a great report, but what's happening with Sharman? I thought he was one diamond in the rubble from last season. Damn..
February form means NOTHING. This was a scratch match between friends. Hill looks good. Just wait till he plays against decent opponents who kick goals on him.
I'm sorry Gershwin, none of that actually makes sense. Hasn't Hill won premiership medals against "decent opponents"? I would think a player in his first pre season with his club would want to prove something a bit more than someone who has achieved plenty.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 9:41pm
I'm sorry Gershwin, none of that actually makes sense. Hasn't Hill won premiership medals against "decent opponents"? I would think a player in his first pre season with his club would want to prove something a bit more than someone who has achieved plenty.
I kind of get it...but the reference to Hill seems odd to me.
Thing is, it isn’t the first murmur about Sharman not being 100 switched on we’ve read here. So what is going on? I just hope it isn’t some internal thing..the new kid in town gets put in his place kinda thing. Would be a real shame if he was didn’t go on with it, especially if he has gone back in his shell as it were.

Gershwin
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 10:12pm
Thing is, it isn’t the first murmur about Sharman not being 100 switched on we’ve read here. So what is going on? I just hope it isn’t some internal thing..the new kid in town gets put in his place kinda thing. Would be a real shame if he was didn’t go on with it, especially if he has gone back in his shell as it were.
I’m trying to say that there are players who look great in Feb. like Hill who I don’t rate and will be found out when the pressure is on and others who look ordinary but in a real game just seem to be able to step up. Got a feeling Sharman is one of those.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 10:55pm
I’m trying to say that there are players who look great in Feb. like Hill who I don’t rate and will be found out when the pressure is on and others who look ordinary but in a real game just seem to be able to step up. Got a feeling Sharman is one of those.
I get not rating Hill as last year he was poor, but I think this year you will see a much fitter and more committed player. The entire list was poorly prepared leading into last season and he was no different from guys on the rookie list. If he is doing well during match sim then we should acknowledge the effort he is putting in and see it for what it is - leading by example.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 11:21pm
Gershwin wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 10:55pm
I get not rating Hill as last year he was poor, but I think this year you will see a much fitter and more committed player. The entire list was poorly prepared leading into last season and he was no different from guys on the rookie list. If he is doing well during match sim then we should acknowledge the effort he is putting in and see it for what it is - leading by example.
I don’t get not rating Hill at all. I think he is one of our best. He had a poor start last year obviously and in 2020 I thought there were times he thought our culture was odd and he wasn’t fitting in. But I still think he is a superstar and I would be shocked if we drop such skill from our side.

So that is the bit I wanted to figure our. I was asking about Sharman but it turned into ‘give Hill a whack’ ..But I understand that too, I’ve done it also, with Kent etc.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 11:44pm

I don’t get not rating Hill at all. I think he is one of our best. He had a poor start last year obviously and in 2020 I thought there were times he thought our culture was odd and he wasn’t fitting in. But I still think he is a superstar and I would be shocked if we drop such skill from our side.

So that is the bit I wanted to figure our. I was asking about Sharman but it turned into ‘give Hill a whack’ ..But I understand that too, I’ve done it also, with Kent etc.
I don't know - I still reckon Hills best game for us was at Moorabbin against Hawthorn preseason

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think Ratten described Sharman as inconsistent, something like he will struggle for a few week and then could kick 6. Not sure what his VFL form was like last year but he got his opportunity and flew with it, all be it later in the season.
His development goals would have to be aimed and delivering that consistently and he has probably been told to expect some ressies time.

Gershwin
Club Player

I remember seeing Stewart Loewe when he first came to the club and loved the way he just clunked marks. He had a lot of other things to work on but that was always his strength and enabled him to play at a high level.
I’m not comparing Sharman to Loewe, but he does have that ability to take a good grab. And kicks a lot better. I really like him and this is his first pre-season so happy to give him a bit of slack.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Maybe under rating the defensive efforts on player Sharman? Anyway that's what practice is for, draws out things to work on - ones to keep at, ones to vary.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 7:09am Maybe under rating the defensive efforts on player Sharman? Anyway that's what practice is for, draws out things to work on - ones to keep at, ones to vary.
I agree - but also there is possibly the situation that what was once just a 'lark' is now serious and the mechanics of his actions and the work load are just being tinkered with pre-season

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 12:20am

I don't know - I still reckon Hills best game for us was at Moorabbin against Hawthorn preseason
He won us the game against the Dockers 3 years ago.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 7:15am
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 7:09am Maybe under rating the defensive efforts on player Sharman? Anyway that's what practice is for, draws out things to work on - ones to keep at, ones to vary.
I agree - but also there is possibly the situation that what was once just a 'lark' is now serious and the mechanics of his actions and the work load are just being tinkered with pre-season
Now that’s an idea!

A forward who comes in as an unknown late season into a team not threatening, is an unmarked man, and perhaps Cooper got a lucky start? And so he will be marked next season and perhaps they are getting ready for that?

Max King will be exciting again as I feel like he’s had his baptism now..Sharman is yet to vet any attention.

Hope they don’t overdo it…and turn him into a pancake.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 9:48am

He may well have...yes Kosi, but he wasn't wearing Saints colors that day was he? 8-)

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 9:48am

Ummm:
2020 - we lost the one encounter with Freo
2021 - In a 58 point thumping of Freo - Hill does his Achilles

Confused

― Aristophanes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Less than 3 minutes to go, Dockers nine points up and the ball in the hands of Brad Hill. What could go wrong?
Oops!
Who’s that behind Jack Steven?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"