Interesting Video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Interesting Video

I came across this by accident. Worth a look I reckon:

amusingname
Club Player

Re: Interesting Video

This moneyball talk seems to consistently come up every year, but it never seems to be pointed out that moneyball as a concept works in baseball (kind of, Oakland never actually won any world series) because you can put together a team using flawed players with one significant strength (getting on base) and absorb the deficiencies much easier in baseball.

Scott Hatteberg couldn’t throw but could get on base, so they put him at 1st base where you don’t have to throw that much at all. You can’t really do that easily in footy, all players have to run, kick, handball, mark, etc. If you can’t kick, teams will sag off and make you kick and possibly turn it over.

The example he uses of hawthorn in 2015 is questionable, that team was still pretty loaded with a-grade talent and the tactics were built around good ball use, which is not really revolutionary stuff regardless of if stats were used to justify it.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Yeah that was interesting.
Hadn't realised we'd picked up that many ex Hawthorn staff.
Good point made about our marking power it is getting up there as a real feature.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Amusingname says 'if you can't kick, teams will sag off and make you kick and possibly turn it over'.

There are 2 Saints that attract that sort of oppo tactic.
Geary and Ross.
I've noticed that oppo players don't care if Gears parks in a pocket or flank to mark a kick-in after a point. In fact, their forwards leave him unattended.
Because they set up for an anticipated turnover.
Geary marks it, but the ball usually doesn't go to our advantage and the oppo fwds are already free to go at goal again.

Ross is similar- his high possy numbers are due to oppo seeing him get the ball and they are trained to think 2 steps ahead with him- Seb kicks it poorly (usually) and the oppo can pounce and go back the other way, while our guys are all caught unawares.

Yell at me and abuse me all you like- i don't rate his TB awards, the club overrates him. He'd never get a game at a top 6 club. Ever.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Peanut
Club Player

Interesting for sure. One concept that some SS 'Xperts' believe they have found holes in, one of them even thanked himself for the effort. However, some thoughtful points that are integrated pretty well IMO.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 1:42am Amusingname says 'if you can't kick, teams will sag off and make you kick and possibly turn it over'.

Geary and Ross.
I've noticed that oppo players don't care if Gears parks in a pocket or flank to mark a kick-in after a point. In fact, their forwards leave him unattended.
Geary marks it, but the ball usually doesn't go to our advantage and the oppo fwds are already free to go at goal again.

Ross is similar- his high possy numbers are due to oppo seeing him get the ball and they are trained to think 2 steps ahead with him- Seb kicks it poorly (usually) and the oppo can pounce and go back the other way, while our guys are all caught unawares.

Yell at me and abuse me all you like- i don't rate his TB awards, the club overrates him. He'd never get a game at a top 6 club. Ever.
I reckon you're right.
In fact, some might remember a couple of terse exchanges on the field between Ross and Coffield toward the end of the year, and I reckon this was part of it.
Ross wanting the chip kick sideways at half back because he was left unattended, whereas Coffield wanted to take the more attacking kick (which I reckon Ratten would prefer)

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Shaggy
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 1:42am Amusingname says 'if you can't kick, teams will sag off and make you kick and possibly turn it over'.

Geary and Ross.

Coaches voted Seb 2 times B&F and once runners up, players have voted Seb leadership group from 2017 and he was voted by AA selectors in the squad 2017.

You may disagree with their judgment but I think the Saints coaches, players and AA selectors know more than you.

You should have a good look at why you are so biased against Seb based on your TV viewing. Seb was not an outside player when he won his B&Fs. He moved outside when our captain was released from a tagging role.