Match Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Match Review

The obvious is apart from Marshall and glimpses from Gresham our midfield was smashed. We were absolutely slaughtered at ground level with Collingwoods winning first use with quick hands.

Collingwoods have found a player in Lipinsksi - WTF can't we pick up players like that? We couldnt match their pressure for most of the game. Crouch battles hard but his centre clearance work and kicking are rubbish.

The give it to Hill mantra is ridiculous and Collingwood sat off him and forced him it to turn over numerous times.

Positives:
Jack Hayes showed he can play at the top level and have massive impact.
No obvious injuries from the game.
Gresham back give us a bit more class at times.
Marshall won 3/4 against Grundy - Grundy got him in the last.
Steele/Wilkie/Sinclair ever reliable.

Negatives:
No quality midfield help for Steele.
Owens found the step up a bit too much, but he will learn from that game.
Hill playing off HBF he is a liability.
Howard had an ordinary game,, he went for marks but fumbled, then punched when he should have marked.
Apart from Steele we have no decent midfield options.
Kent is an absolute choker.
Collingwoods quick hands made our skills look ordinary.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Match Review

We can carry a maximum of 3 injuries to our best 22. After that our depth just isn't strong enough

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:10pm The obvious is apart from Marshall and glimpses from Gresham our midfield was smashed. We were absolutely slaughtered at ground level with Collingwoods winning first use with quick hands.

Collingwoods have found a player in Lipinsksi - WTF can't we pick up players like that? We couldnt match their pressure for most of the game. Crouch battles hard but his centre clearance work and kicking are rubbish.

The give it to Hill mantra is ridiculous and Collingwood sat off him and forced him it to turn over numerous times.

Positives:

Negatives:
Howard had an ordinary game,, he went for marks but fumbled, then punched when he should have marked.
Wow… disagree completely on Hill in that he wore a hard tag IMO and worked hard to get from contest to contest and did a lot of stuff under serious pressure.
Stuffed up a few times but it was under duress and I thought he created way way more then he messed up.

I had him in the best. One of the few that did a sold 4 quarter performance

Agree on all other points though

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Hill on 900k seriously is laughable
King needs to stand up at end of games
Marshall got tired. We need a proper back up cos Ryder is no longer reliable.
Gresham is not class. His kicking skills and general skill execution is below average. He has leg speed though.

Hayes was a ripper. Backline were pretty good. Membery was good. Steele I thought was quiet.

Overall disappointing against a bottom 8 team

Winmar
Club Player

Steele had little impact on the game, which was surprisingly. Gresham played his best footy as a forward five years ago. His kicking around the ground has never been great.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I realise Kent is this week's scaoegoat but this thread has already highlighted other issues with the team.

There is definitely multiple issues.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I will give Gresh & Patton a bit grace & both were ordinary IMO but players with no real impact from Kent,Butler,Crouch,Howard, Byrnes,Owens, Battle,Ross,Wood ,Webster Semi impact Sinclair (very poor first quarter IMO )Hill,Higgins,King,McKenzie,Steele Some impact Hayes,Marshall Wilkie but you cant win games of footy when half the team doesn't have some significant impact on the game & we played a team that is not even considered to be a finals contender same ol same ol too much left to too few

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Match Committee got it wrong full stop ..... Kent plays but couldn't get a game in the lead up match ..... wtf??

King our only realistic marking target in the forward half ..... wtf??

Didn't play as a team full stop apart from a 15 min burst where had 11 shots at goal to zip

50 tackles

It was a lazy, putrid effort ...... buck stops with Ratten

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 1:31am Match Committee got it wrong full stop ..... Kent plays but couldn't get a game in the lead up match ..... wtf??

Didn't play as a team full stop apart from a 15 min burst where had 11 shots at goal to zip

50 tackles

Agree .
We need a coach who can fire the players up for the big games .
First game of the year .
Friday night blockbuster.
Warneys tribute.
All reasons to come out breathing fire 🔥
Yet once again we looked slow lazy and unskilled.

Ratts needs to come up with something different
Our backline is pretty good and our forwards are OK.
It's our mids that are poor .
Steele is great but teams know that you try to keep him quiet as the rest of our mids are fumbly and have poor disposal .

In red white and black from 73
nw7
Club Player

Groundhog day Saints Fans. Coaches comments: we couldn't handle their pressure at the start of the game, although we expected and prepared for it. Sinclair interview after the game: we have lost centre clearances the last few games and we're well beaten today. Yes groundhog day. Why did we expect a different result. It's not Kent's fault, he just shouldn't have been picked. Our midfield was terrible, no intensity we got rid of Dunstan and keep Crouch who brings nothing special and we pay him 3 times more and we don't play Bytlel who at least brings effort and pressure. It was a crap night at the footy. Too many Collingwood supporters to avoid. Thanks again Saints.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Clarke
Billings
Jones
Ryder
Geary
Hannebery
Highmore
Coffield

All unavailable is why we lost.

Replace Owens and Kent got Clarke and Billings and we win by 5 goals.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Pies are widely considered a bottom 4 team. Where are we at?

#1 Ryder fan
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:43pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:10pm The obvious is apart from Marshall and glimpses from Gresham our midfield was smashed. We were absolutely slaughtered at ground level with Collingwoods winning first use with quick hands.

Positives:

Negatives:
Wow… disagree completely on Hill in that he wore a hard tag IMO and worked hard to get from contest to contest and did a lot of stuff under serious pressure.
Stuffed up a few times but it was under duress and I thought he created way way more then he messed up.

I’m not a Hill basher by any means but FFS - he a 2 possession first quarter. Two. In 31 mins. Where the ball resided mainly in his half.

And you’re telling me that’s a “solid 4 quarter performance”?

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 2:14am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 1:31am Match Committee got it wrong full stop ..... Kent plays but couldn't get a game in the lead up match ..... wtf??

50 tackles

Agree .
First game of the year .
Warneys tribute.

Steele is great but teams know that you try to keep him quiet as the rest of our mids are fumbly and have poor disposal .
Good summation. My overriding feeling watching it at the ground was that we’re back to the future with Jack Steele - he’s a better more polished version of Jack Steven (but not as burst quick) in that every team knows that all you have to do is stop Jack Steele and the rest of St Ks midfield just isn’t up to it. We seriously have one gun midfielder. That’s not going to win many games against poor sides - even if that player plays a blinder - let alone against good teams.

I think we’re cooked to be honest. Not being dramatic - I think our list is pox and I’m starting to think my Carlton mates who constantly tell me Chris Judd made Ratten’s w/l record way better than it should’ve been

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

50 tackles

Agree .
First game of the year .
Warneys tribute.

What sticks out for me in that post is, “Ratts needs to do something different”. And the fact that he isn’t. His fluffy inclusivity is not translating into improved game plan, execution and intensity. We continue to be mostly insipid with bursts of potential that Peter out and fail to develop into sustained improvement.
One game in and we looked weak and vulnerable in the same places we did last year. It started with selection.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:25am

50 tackles

Agree .
First game of the year .
Warneys tribute.

Good summation. My overriding feeling watching it at the ground was that we’re back to the future with Jack Steele - he’s a better more polished version of Jack Steven (but not as burst quick) in that every team knows that all you have to do is stop Jack Steele and the rest of St Ks midfield just isn’t up to it. We seriously have one gun midfielder. That’s not going to win many games against poor sides - even if that player plays a blinder - let alone against good teams.

I think we’re cooked to be honest. Not being dramatic - I think our list is pox and I’m starting to think my Carlton mates who constantly tell me Chris Judd made Ratten’s w/l record way better than it should’ve been
Yep. The drums are beating for Ratten on the back of that showing.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Hill was one of few clean players we had in the side.

There were passages of play that looked terrible with him in it but that was usually because of how his team mates had delivered the ball. Multiple times he was the one who was cleaning up others messes.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SaintDippa
Club Player

6 months to come up with a winning game plan and all we get is the same as last year. Definition of insanity is what? Slow ball movement, no run past, no play on, no up field structures, no corridor, long down the line, no stoppage strategy and outcome is mostly kick and hope long bombs into a crowded F50. And we're going to kill Maxie. Only a matter of time he's one 4 on 2 pack launch away from missing 12 months like Ben. Might cop it here, but standing firm. Pies are a 10-14 side at best and my finals dream is shot based on last night . Then again maybe no point posting and possibly copping forum wrath with Ratts out of contract and on last night no hope in Hades coaching us in 2023.
Last edited by SaintDippa on Sat 19 Mar 2022 8:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:55am 6 months to come up with a winning game plan and all we get is the same as last year. Definition of insanity is what? Slow ball movement, no run past, no play on, no up field structures, no corridor, long down the line, no stoppage strategy and outcome is mostly kick and hope long bombs into a crowded F50. And we're going to kill Maxie. Only a matter of time he's one 4 on 2 pack launch away from missing 12 months like Ben. Might cop it here, but standing firm. Pies are a 10-14 side at best and my finals dream is shot based on last night . Then again maybe no point posting and possibly copping forum wrath with Ratts is out of contract and on last night no hope in Hades coaching us in 2023.
Don’t disagree. With any of it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Clarko

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:18am

Positives:

Negatives:

I’m not a Hill basher by any means but FFS - he a 2 possession first quarter. Two. In 31 mins. Where the ball resided mainly in his half.

Really! I may be turned around on the topic on then.

Happy to concede the point.

Still reckon overall he was one of our best

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 8:16am
Saintmatt wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:18am

Positives:

Negatives:

Really! I may be turned around on the topic on then.

Happy to concede the point.

Still reckon overall he was one of our best
agree with skeptic

spert
Saintsational Legend

Pretty obvious structural/ system problems in the first quarter- not sure what type of game Ratts had in mind, but not for the first time, it didn't work.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:57am
SaintDippa wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:55am 6 months to come up with a winning game plan and all we get is the same as last year. Definition of insanity is what? Slow ball movement, no run past, no play on, no up field structures, no corridor, long down the line, no stoppage strategy and outcome is mostly kick and hope long bombs into a crowded F50. And we're going to kill Maxie. Only a matter of time he's one 4 on 2 pack launch away from missing 12 months like Ben. Might cop it here, but standing firm. Pies are a 10-14 side at best and my finals dream is shot based on last night . Then again maybe no point posting and possibly copping forum wrath with Ratts is out of contract and on last night no hope in Hades coaching us in 2023.
Don’t disagree. With any of it.
Same

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Game plans rarely make up for poor players. Plans can elevate good teams to top teams. We made the finals in 2020 due to Paddy Ryder and were a real chance for the flag, until the last minute of the semi. Since then, Paddy has played just a handful of games and reached his zenith two years ago. While Jack Hayes was good around the ground and in front of goal, he's no ruckman. RoMa had to all of that by himself. That's unsustainable. The reality is that this group of players will never see finals action again let alone experience the ultimate prize. We need to do really badly for three years and when players like Christian Petracca are on offer, take them. Today, a team of up to a dozen midfielders is required - players who are at least 186cm tall, who can run 100m in even time, can leap over a pack and can kick 50 metres either foot. Should be easy.