Higgins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Barometer
Club Player

Higgins

Has there ever been a player that gets to all the right spots yet delivered so little? How does this get fixed as he should be a match winner. Does he try to hard? Is it experience? We need him to consistently kick goals and hope we can get it right.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Higgins

Kicks straight and he's a match winner. Has done enough for me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:13pm Has there ever been a player that gets to all the right spots yet delivered so little? How does this get fixed as he should be a match winner. Does he try to hard? Is it experience? We need him to consistently kick goals and hope we can get it right.
The thing is… he does it right some of the time and despite his mistakes, he did set up a goal or two in the second half.

Everything about Higgins screams the kid is doing everything he can to be his best… periodically he’s producing but more than anything else, he doesn’t give up and fiercely competes again and again even if he stuffs up.

I reckon experience and confidence are the key for him. Happy for him to keep playing
Last edited by skeptic on Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Why was he nicknamed Missy by the media ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

He had that game last year where he kicked badly , but after that he hardly missed , so I'm hoping he does the same from now on .

In red white and black from 73
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gawd that bit of play where he ignored Gresh who was running unopposed, and kicked (high) to Butler who was vs 2 Filths...
Gresh screamed at him after, Higgo put up his hand to say sorry

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:26pm Gawd that bit of play where he ignored Gresh who was running unopposed, and kicked (high) to Butler who was vs 2 Filths...
Gresh screamed at him after, Higgo put up his hand to say sorry
Yeah I saw that too. Bad play.

I guess he just lacks composure. Must be the challenge between push hard/fast and take the game on vs lower the eyes. Don’t know why he didn’t just slot it himself

The Barometer
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:17pm
The Barometer wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:13pm Has there ever been a player that gets to all the right spots yet delivered so little? How does this get fixed as he should be a match winner. Does he try to hard? Is it experience? We need him to consistently kick goals and hope we can get it right.
The thing is… he does it right some of the time and despite his mistakes, he did set up a goal or two in the second half.

Everything about Higgins screams the kid is doing everything he can to be his best… periodically he’s producing but more than anything else, he doesn’t give up and fiercely competes again and again even if he stuffs up.

I reckon experience and confidence are the key for him. Happy for him to keep playing
Yep good call, I should have said so little in terms of his own goals, seems to be the wrong side of the ledger to often, Also very happy for him to keep playing, just want to see it all come together for him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Butler-Higgins combo has been a bust. One of them has to make way.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Winmar
Club Player

He'll be excellent if he starts nailing those shots he misses. I hope it actually happens, sooner rather than later.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

King missed two easy getties. Higgins one. Membrey one. What Sharman could have delivered? Wood - he is OK, but the tempo of the game. Seeing Hill run past for a handball, and being missed so easily.

We are suffering from 'bless-him-syndrome' (BHS) .. When Higgins kicked 1.6 at a crucial stage last year, we were exasperated and beyond frustration. Seeing him slot 3 or 4 a cupla weeks later, we are, 'bless him'..poor fella.

Why? Because Butler has faded, and subconsciously, the lightning bolt needs to earth itself on Higgins's head.

And now the selectors choose Kent..whom we know can grab and snap in a straight line quicker than a hurry. (but what else?)

Higgins is OK. He is first 22.

But the great SG..St Kilda's best ruckman (1973-1974) says this.

Wilkie Howard Hill
Sinclair Joyce Highmore
Hayes Steele Ross
Membrey Sharman Higgins
Gresham King WM

Marshall, Crouch, (Panic button?? Help!!! SOS!!!)
I/C Wood, Paton, (Bytel-and- Byrnes...not good enough)? (more panic...Hannas? Battle as utility - absolutely not KP defender)

Rest
Dmac, Webster, Kent, Geary, Butler
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:49am, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why do we recruit players with no brains?

He makes basic football errors. He needs to be dropped.

Seriously... how many times is he going to burn team mates?

It happens too often... and then it puts extra pressure on him and he stuffs up or rushes and it is deflating for the team

It's the same with Kent. Kent makes basic mistakes that you'd see from a first year player.

Give Long the spot and bloody leave him in the team. Long has upside. So has Leo and so do the other younger blokes

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:46am Why do we recruit players with no brains?

It happens too often... and then it puts extra pressure on him and he stuffs up or rushes and it is deflating for the team

It's the same with Kent. Kent makes basic mistakes that you'd see from a first year player.

Give Long the spot and bloody leave him in the team. Long has upside. So has Leo and so do the other younger blokes
In my humble opinion, as an under 15Cs back-pocket, occasional orange-boy, who bloomed into a nice pack marking forward in my late 20s at kick-to-kick behind Plant 16 at Fisherman's Bend, I reckon Higgins is about 4 times better than Long value wise, and 6 times better than Kent.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:53am
Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:46am Why do we recruit players with no brains?

In my humble opinion, as an under 15Cs back-pocket, occasional orange-boy, who bloomed into a nice pack marking forward in my late 20s at kick-to-kick behind Plant 16 at Fisherman's Bend, I reckon Higgins is about 4 times better than Long value wise, and 6 times better than Kent.
I agree that Higgins gives great effort and with the right coaching he can fix his selfishness and his basic errors. I was more speaking about Long replacing Kent

I'd be really interested in your formula for working out mathematically how Higgins is 4 times better than Long.

Just joking. I know you started the reply with 'in my humble opinion'.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’d have said you need to get the ball to make an error but Kent’s blown that argument out of the water hasn’t he.

Higgins = 17 touches and 4 shots at goal... set one up too. Yeah he makes errors but I’d have him in the team ahead of both Kent and Butler. Lifted in the second half. Every indication he could take it up a gear soon

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:37am King missed two easy getties. Higgins one. Membrey one. What Sharman could have delivered? Wood - he is OK, but the tempo of the game. Seeing Hill run past for a handball, and being missed so easily.

We are suffering from 'bless-him-syndrome' (BHS) .. When Higgins kicked 1.6 at a crucial stage last year, we were exasperated and beyond frustration. Seeing him slot 3 or 4 a cupla weeks later, we are, 'bless him'..poor fella.

Why? Because Butler has faded, and subconsciously, the lightning bolt needs to earth itself on Higgins's head.

And now the selectors choose Kent..whom we know can grab and snap in a straight line quicker than a hurry. (but what else?)

Higgins is OK. He is first 22.

But the great SG..St Kilda's best ruckman (1973-1974) says this.

Wilkie Howard Hill
Sinclair Joyce Highmore
Hayes Steele Ross
Membrey Sharman Higgins
Gresham King WM

Marshall, Crouch, (Panic button?? Help!!! SOS!!!)
I/C Wood, Paton, (Bytel-and- Byrnes...not good enough)? (more panic...Hannas? Battle as utility - absolutely not KP defender)

Rest
Dmac, Webster, Kent, Geary, Butler
You watch Ratten rush Geary back….shoulda retired ffs

“Yeah….nah””
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Horrid ball drop. Maybe he uses grippo. I hope he does, because then it's an easy fix, stop using it.

FIX YOUR BALL DROP HIGGO!!!! It will be the single thing that cripples his career if he doesn't.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Vazelos
Club Player

Higgins had a bad a quarter I have seen by a player in many years in the 3 rd. Unforgivable misses.
Set shot in front his ball drop was like watching a suburban ball player.
Next opportunity he in space time to steady and run to the goals and score he panics and kicks the ball badly timed slightly off the side of his boot to a 1v2 situation over our players head.
Then the regulation snap from a few metres out and misses.

He is not fast cannot chase down defenders and is a hit and miss mainly miss shot for goal.
His Nate Butler is like Casper the ghost when he is not on which is quite regularly he is unsighted.
Higgins Butler are for mine a huge concern the 2 new inodgenous boys on our rookie list will probably over take them in time I have no confidence in these two.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The glaring thing about last night is at the ground Higgins not chasing. Butler was similar. Noble & Nick Daicos we’re everywhere yet, our small forwards just didn’t want to defend. Constantly 20m behind. I hated watching it.

As for Higgins - what a disgraceful 3rd q. Paid to kick goals as a small forward and looked like an unfit, unskilled bum trying to do it. Abominable.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Trixilver
Club Player

Higgins and Butler, why are they constantly being played in the same side? In fact why is Butler best 22 he did NOTHING last year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Higgins, Butler & Kent.

It's difficult to justify having them all in the same team.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He should have learnt from Lonie, a small forward who can’t convert isn’t going to survive long.

Cost us 4 goals when we were surging, I’d rather a player who ditched the ‘cute’ stuff and did the basic stuff well.

Also, surely the Higgins - Butler - Kent experiment is finally over?!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintDippa
Club Player

The way Ratts coaches moving the footy if we had Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene and Rozee (or I'll add Bradman) the same question would be asked. Is the experiment over?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ball drop horrendous

And he burned Gresham and cost a goal

spert
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 8:40am Higgins, Butler & Kent.

It's difficult to justify having them all in the same team.
One must go- too many smalls not kicking goals or doing enough defensively. Higgins like too many of our players is inconsistent, Butler has done little since the 2020 season, and Kent probably too good for VFL and not quite AFL quality. Sharman can take one spot and play beside King.