I Give Up!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

1965 Saint
Club Player

I Give Up!!!

Tonight was the end for me.

I’ve lost hope that we will ever get ahead of the game.

The game plan tonight is what West Coast used to win the flag in 2018. It’s f…..g two years out of date! Ratten- you’re no good

You’ve got to innovate, not copy what won teams flags 3 years ago.

Bassett, do something (or are you too busy watching Seek’s demise)

1965 Saint
Club Player

Re: I Give Up!!!

What a depressing way to have confirmation that we are no f…. Good

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don’t blame you.

Unfortunately, we’ll all be back again next week.

I wish the season hadn’t started.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 1:01am Tonight was the end for me.

I’ve lost hope that we will ever get ahead of the game.

The game plan tonight is what West Coast used to win the flag in 2018. It’s f…..g two years out of date! Ratten- you’re no good

You’ve got to innovate, not copy what won teams flags 3 years ago.

Bassett, do something (or are you too busy watching Seek’s demise)
What was the game plan?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

One loss doesn't make a season!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not giving up but it was a very ordinary start to the season & if that is what we have to look forward to it's gunna be a tough gig. There is always next week hopefully it was just a blib on the radar

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I feel the same way towards Ratten after last night.

We never seem to have coaches who are innovative. We just seem to replicate strategies from what the great teams of yesteryear had in place.

But honestly, I thought Alan Richardson was back coaching for us again. It was the same old BS of bombing it long. Kick in hope! And then fumble, fumble, apple crumble. Just maddening!

Bottom line: we’ll never win a premiership unless we have a coach who is innovative. You just can’t succeed in this comp flogging ideas from another brains trust.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 1:58am One loss doesn't make a season!
Sometimes it’s simply the way you lose that means more. No system, same embarrassing skills and no composure under pressure, no genuine ruckman, poor set shot goal kicking, no midfield behind Steele. And all that against bottom 4 Collingwood on the stand-alone national stage.

Match Committee? Kent, Butler, Higgins. Again. You absolute morons. 3 smalls hasn’t worked for us for a long time … let’s keep doing that shall we.

As for recruiting - great - we may have fluked another good Sth Aussie. But the Pies went and spent pick forty f****** three on Pat Lipinski - a proven excellent dynamic polished AFL level midfielder. Who was best on against us. Meanwhile - down at Moorabbin - let’s watch Sebby waddle around for another season. Laughable list management.

We’re an embarrassment to ourselves. We literally don’t deserve nice things.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vazelos
Club Player

We bomb it long because we don’t have the speed or class to carry the ball with confidence break a line then find someone short. Our hand skills are average did you see some of Collingwoods handball passages?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vazelos wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:44am We bomb it long because we don’t have the speed or class to carry the ball with confidence break a line then find someone short. Our hand skills are average did you see some of Collingwoods handball passages?
Very noticeable at the ground. Pies were slick and hit targets to enable run and carry.

We constantly fumble ground balls and then handball to St K socks whilst on all fours.

Post 2011 - we’ve been atrocious at hitting targets by foot. Now we’ve added hand balling to that.

I’m not sure which skill set there is left for us to entirely fvck up. But I’m damn sure they’ll find a way to source something

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I reckon I moved to a new psychological state supporting the Saints last night: Acceptance...I just don't care as much.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 8:40am I reckon I moved to a new psychological state supporting the Saints last night: Acceptance...I just don't care as much.
I think I’m the same

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
spert
Saintsational Legend

We should replace Ratts with a psychiatrist. We seriously need work on the game above the shoulders.

happy feet
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 8:40am I reckon I moved to a new psychological state supporting the Saints last night: Acceptance...I just don't care as much.
I think I am in the same place. Will not see a Premiership in my life time so why get bent out of shape.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll tell you right now

This team won’t win a premiership

Has no point of difference to make it better than other teams

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Kinda makes one miss the Covid years where the choice of going to watch them is taken out of our hands.

See you all in two weeks!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Can't argue with that. Our lack of run and dare is horrible to watch. Last night we were playing 1960s football. Elite talent is in very short supply. I think acceptance is the right frame of mind. There is no place for any expectations from where we sit right now. Just need to sit back and see if the likes of Sharman, Highmore, NWM, Windhager, Owens, Bytel, Byrnes, and Connolly can show a glimpse of something that might make us excited.

We may get more enjoyment from watching Sandy this year.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:02am I’ll tell you right now

This team won’t win a premiership

Has no point of difference to make it better than other teams
Just said a similar thing in another thread, in a comp where there is only a few percent between 1st and 10th we have got to find something, and that something needs to be growing a bigger set of balls. This group is just way too comfortable, too many sit back when the opposition is roughing us up. Steele should have really got up in the grille of Adams. I think Adams scared Steele in that dust up. He just waltzed in and our boys ran the other way. We lost the game there.

Can't wait for Lethers to take over and see if he can add some grit to the culture.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is it too early for Ratts, Lethlean and Rath to call a crisis meeting to work out where it's going wrong ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bowey Boy
Club Player

The problem is, it would not have been that good to win, unless a thrashing. To lose to the Filth means we are crap.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Hey 1965 Saint, you can't burn your membership any more, and you can't even microwave it. So how do we symbolically 'protest' our membership?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

That’s disturbing in its accuracy of how I feel. Just plain indifference. It’s fairly clear that the supporters care way more than the players about the club. Way more.

That said - you can’t help loving who you love; but it doesn’t mean that you just have to like them all the time and I’m definitely in that state. And increasingly - it’s way less than like

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:19am Is it too early for Ratts, Lethlean and Rath to call a crisis meeting to work out where it's going wrong ?
If they don’t already know where it’s broken then that in and of itself is scary. A crisis meeting is just a headline.

I’d be happy to hear and read precisely zero from the St Kilda football club until such time as they sort their s*** out internally and have that translate on field.

Until then - they’re a worthless input to the media cycle.

Laurie
Club Player

Filth made us look average
WE ARE AVERAGE
WE ARE SLOW
SKILLS NON EXISTENT
NO SYSTEM KICK AND HOPE FOOTBAL
SAME OLD SAME OLD ST.KILDA

damienc
Club Player

I rarely agree with football commentators but Gerard Whately is bang on with this:

"Round 1 is glorious for overreactions and it's notorious for misreads. But it's hard to sit here this morning feeling optimistic about St Kilda."

Our footy club was given the perfect opportunity to make a statement of intent about season 2022.

After the disaster of 2021 they owed it to everyone who stood by them and continues to support the club, even though they keep giving every reason not to.

Not a season defining performance last night. Way too early for that. You expect a bit of rust but you are also entitled to expect a lot more than was delivered last night.

I am hard pressed to avoid thinking this could be a repeat of last year. I tell myself one game doesn't define a season. They will get better.

Maybe.

But even if you will yourself to be a supreme optimist about our footy club there were very worrying signs from last night.

The filth are not top 8. Not even close. But we were nowhere near them last night. The scoreboard margin was flattering. They were on top for most of the game.

It's not worth dissecting quarter by quarter in pedantic detail. Our performance is not worth the analysis.

I will say this: our greatest, glaringly, obvious weakness is our game plan. We don't have one. Or whatever it is, it isn't working. Not even close. The stronger clubs will take us apart based on how we played last night.

So, that becomes a profound question for our coaching staff. It won't take long for it to be answered. One way or another.

I'm a big fan of Brett Ratten. I like him as a person but this year he is well and truly on notice.

No more excuses. No more benefits of the doubt.

The club won't tolerate another year like 2021. Neither will the supporters.