if only Grasham could kick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

if only Grasham could kick

The hype on this kid is bizarre- he has a few tricks but no poise, cannot hit a target and constantly butchers the ball. Ross is bagged constantly but why does Gresh get a pass? He's had an entire season to assess his deficiencies and change his kicking style- yet we see the same floaters- whether a kick down field or a pass. Gives the marking players no chance. He rarely kicks to advantage a team mate. To suggest someone with his deficiencies will ever be more than a small forward and the answer to our midfield is puzzling.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Club Player

Re: if only Grasham could kick

OK, I miss-spelt his name. Get over it.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saynta
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:23pm The hype on this kid is bizarre- he has a few tricks but no poise, cannot hit a target and constantly butchers the ball. Ross is bagged constantly but why does Gresh get a pass? He's had an entire season to assess his deficiencies and change his kicking style- yet we see the same floaters- whether a kick down field or a pass. Gives the marking players no chance. He rarely kicks to advantage a team mate. To suggest someone with his deficiencies will ever be more than a small forward and the answer to our midfield is puzzling.
I kept a close watch on Seb last night. Not once did he butcher a kick or miss his target with his handball.

He still copped the usual f****** disrespectful disgraceful comments though. :roll

Agree with your comments on gresh .
Last edited by saynta on Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He’s a class above Higgins as far as I’m concerned

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Seemed a natural small foward to me. Just because he wants to be a midfielder is no reason to make him one.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He and Sinclair gave us some spark when moved on to the ball in the third quarter.

You need dash and creativity in the guts. Playmakers.

That’s where we are sadly missing Zak Jones and Hunter Clark.

Crouch and Ross are good players. Strong, solid and mature-bodied. But playmakers? Not so much.

It takes all types. You need a mix.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 19 Mar 2022 9:30pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

GRASHAM ?????? sorry can't get over it

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Gresham is a woefully average field kick due to a poor technique that he’s never bothered to correct. He’s also a very iffy set shot but has a great step that enables him to be a good small forward.

The fact that we make him into a midfielder says everything about what we’ve never bothered to recruit

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:47pm
6621104 wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 7:23pm The hype on this kid is bizarre- he has a few tricks but no poise, cannot hit a target and constantly butchers the ball. Ross is bagged constantly but why does Gresh get a pass? He's had an entire season to assess his deficiencies and change his kicking style- yet we see the same floaters- whether a kick down field or a pass. Gives the marking players no chance. He rarely kicks to advantage a team mate. To suggest someone with his deficiencies will ever be more than a small forward and the answer to our midfield is puzzling.
I kept a close watch on Seb last night. Not once did he butcher a kick or miss his target with his handball.

He still copped the usual f****** disrespectful disgraceful comments though. :roll

Are you blind? Seriously - stop it - you’re embarrassing yourself . Again.

3rd q … Ross burst 10m from the front of one of the very few centre sq stoppages we won and … shat himself and … proceeded to shin a 7m torp to a contest at CHF. I’m sure you thought he meant to vomit it forward but no one else did.

If that’s not butchering … I don’t know what is. But you keep being you.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 12:56pm

3rd q … Ross burst 10m from the front of one of the very few centre sq stoppages we won and … shat himself and … proceeded to shin a 7m torp to a contest at CHF. I’m sure you thought he meant to vomit it forward but no one else did.

The only thing I find embarrassing is all the f****** ill founded ignorant disgraceful comments made by clueless nuff nuffs about a 2 times club champion who has more talent in his left foot than they(read you ) have in their (your) entire body. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe he stuffed up one time in 19 so shot him FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yes Gresham’s kicking is unfortunate, always seems to be trying to kick across his body.

I’d rather he played as one of our two small forwards, that’s where he excels.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Grasham's kicking at times is average but it's no worse than Rush , Lunt or Wibstars !

In red white and black from 73
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Grasham is good enough to get himself clear and has time to steady. But doesn’t.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 12:48pm Gresham is a woefully average field kick due to a poor technique that he’s never bothered to correct. He’s also a very iffy set shot but has a great step that enables him to be a good small forward.

The fact that we make him into a midfielder says everything about what we’ve never bothered to recruit
Great post! He's got the pace & sidestep our midfield desperately needs. Unfortunately he still looks like he's kicking a balloon - I would think our coaching staff should have been addressing that.

stkfc1
Club Player

If the selectors are so hell bent on playing 3 small forwards then that 3rd small is Gresham. Not Kent.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

gresh and butler both seem to take the flashy option over the smart option.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 3:13pm

The only thing I find embarrassing is all the f****** ill founded ignorant disgraceful comments made by clueless nuff nuffs about a 2 times club champion who has more talent in his left foot than they(read you ) have in their (your) entire body. :roll: :roll: :roll:

“Not once did he butcher a kick or miss his target with his handball”. So did he stuff up or not stuff up? I’m confused - I gave you empirical evidence and now you seemed to have recanted? As usual - your blind loyalty to an honest but severely limited (skill wise) player is embarrassing. And I (& others) are the clueless nuff nuffs? Pfft - best you have a spell.

For the record - Seb tries hard; is brave when it’s his turn, he’s honest but is so limited. It’s just bizarre how you continually want to die on the Seb Ross hill.

That the Pies went and spent pick 43 on the Dogs 5th best midfielder in Pat Lipinski yet, we thought it was a great idea to waddle around with Seb again says everything about where we’re at as a club. They actively tried to improve … we thought otherwise. Maybe you work in list management - I can’t see any other explanation.

Shaggy
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 9:19pm

“Not once did he butcher a kick or miss his target with his handball”. So did he stuff up or not stuff up? I’m confused - I gave you empirical evidence and now you seemed to have recanted? As usual - your blind loyalty to an honest but severely limited (skill wise) player is embarrassing. And I (& others) are the clueless nuff nuffs? Pfft - best you have a spell.

For the record - Seb tries hard; is brave when it’s his turn, he’s honest but is so limited. It’s just bizarre how you continually want to die on the Seb Ross hill.

That the Pies went and spent pick 43 on the Dogs 5th best midfielder in Pat Lipinski yet, we thought it was a great idea to waddle around with Seb again says everything about where we’re at as a club. They actively tried to improve … we thought otherwise. Maybe you work in list management - I can’t see any other explanation.
In your brain Seb is the problem. But he played ok and some of his delivery was elite under pressure. You must stop blaming losses on your own cognitive bias. Owens, Kent & Byrnes were rubbish. Butler needs to start kicking goals again and not just pressure.

Gresh is a developing mid whom I think is on track if he can stay away from injuries.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

I partly agree with you but again, it is the St Kilda coaches that have stalled his development (injuries have played a part also). Was it his second year that he kicked 30 goals 30 points and then in year 3 he kicked nearly 40 goals? Why the feck have we tried to turn him into a midfielder when he was looking like being as good as Milney as a forward pocket? Sure enough, this is another example of the ineptitude of the coaches down at St Kilda FFS.

DON'T TRY TO FIX SOMETHING IF IT'S NOT BROKEN!!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:11pm

In your brain Seb is the problem. But he played ok and some of his delivery was elite under pressure. You must stop blaming losses on your own cognitive bias. Owens, Kent & Byrnes were rubbish. Butler needs to start kicking goals again and not just pressure.

Gresh is a developing mid whom I think is on track if he can stay away from injuries.
It’s not cognitive bias at all - I noted Seb’s positives if you care to have read. My point was about old mate who is completely blind to any criticism of Ross. He said he didn’t stuff up. By any measure, he did.

You’re right - Byrnes, Owen and Kent were poor. As were many, many others. Gresham? Mmm - not sure as a mid. If we batted deeper there - he’d be an excellent small forward. We just happen to need him to be a mid because the rest of our mids are largely rubbish. And because we have no ruckman when Ryder is out.

But this isn’t about that is it? No. It’s about one person’s own cognitive bias .. despite clear evidence.

Shaggy
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:22pm
Shaggy wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:11pm

It’s not cognitive bias at all - I noted Seb’s positives if you care to have read. My point was about old mate who is completely blind to any criticism of Ross. He said he didn’t stuff up. By any measure, he did.

You’re right - Byrnes, Owen and Kent were poor. As were many, many others. Gresham? Mmm - not sure as a mid. If we batted deeper there - he’d be an excellent small forward. We just happen to need him to be a mid because the rest of our mids are largely rubbish. And because we have no ruckman when Ryder is out.

But this isn’t about that is it? No. It’s about one person’s own cognitive bias .. despite clear evidence.
Every player makes mistakes every game. Cognitive bias comes in when you think the mistakes reaffirms your view that Ross is crap and the players who voted Ross into the leadership group, and the coaches who voted him best and fairest, and the external experts who voted him into the AA squad are all gullible and naive and don't understand football as well as you. Because you think the evidence is clear

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wrote this in another thread -

Would Ross get game with Melbourne Bulldogs Port Sydney Geelong GWS or Carlton ...... even Essendon?

We are seeing teams building confidence by playing youth ..... building for the future ..... the changing of the guard is here and its happening for many teams and we don't want to be left behind by playing 29yo + GOPs who aren't making much of a difference or at least having a significant impact which more experienced players should be if they are still playing.

May as well be developing a Bytel or Connolly or Owens/Windhager

What role does Seb play anyway?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross would get a game in any of those clubs

If he was the 22nd best player in your team, it’d be a premiership team!!!!

Considering he’s been the best player in a team that’s finished 10th with 12 wins

Get some fkn perspective

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Btw

How did the selection of youth

Owens and Byrnes go???

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 12:12am Ross would get a game in any of those clubs

If he was the 22nd best player in your team, it’d be a premiership team!!!!

Considering he’s been the best player in a team that’s finished 10th with 12 wins

Get some fkn perspective
Ross was the best player for St. Kilda last year and the year before?

The last 2 years he has dropped well away ..... fella is past his prime ..... everyone can see it ....he ain't gunna get any better ..... and currently his best is bog standard average .... he has dropped from a 600+ disposal midfielder to a 400 not exactly what position he plays player

My perspective is just fine thanks

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!