Tim Taranto???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Tim Taranto???

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/30/ ... idfielder/

Should we be targetting a player like Taranto - if so what are we prepared to give up? The going rate seems to be a 1st round pick - plus?

I dont rate Leon Cameron as an AFL coach at all, with the talent he has had at his disposal GWS should be far more consistent than they are. Cameron for some reason the seems to prefer to play Taranto more forward than through the middle. Taranto doesnt average huge clearance numbers but I feel that would be the result of his forward minutes.

We seriously need midfield depth & class and I think its too much to expect Owens & Windhager to be instant hits. Taranto would be the perfect player & age demographic to add to our list. Apparently he likes living in Sydney so it may cost us $$$ to pry him out, but with this being Hannebery's & Geary's last year we should have room in the cap?

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Tim Taranto???

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 31 Mar 2022 12:15pm https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/30/ ... idfielder/

Should we be targetting a player like Taranto - if so what are we prepared to give up? The going rate seems to be a 1st round pick - plus?

I dont rate Leon Cameron as an AFL coach at all, with the talent he has had at his disposal GWS should be far more consistent than they are. Cameron for some reason the seems to prefer to play Taranto more forward than through the middle. Taranto doesnt average huge clearance numbers but I feel that would be the result of his forward minutes.

We seriously need midfield depth & class and I think its too much to expect Owens & Windhager to be instant hits. Taranto would be the perfect player & age demographic to add to our list. Apparently he likes living in Sydney so it may cost us $$$ to pry him out, but with this being Hannebery's & Geary's last year we should have room in the cap?
Jet

Again like many others if he played for a Vic club would get rated a lot higher

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What’s not to like?

Would be an ideal choice for us if we could get him

older saint
SS Life Member

Absolutely what we need.

Assuming there was funds stashed for King, along with Hannebery off the books there should be significant space available you would think.
Potentially 2 first rounders also in play 2022 & 2023

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Id say no but a moot point as we are realistically not in a premiership window at present so he would prefer other teams. The price tag that he would come with will be massive to the point of limiting any other players we would like to get.
But my god he would look good in red black and white

ace
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 31 Mar 2022 12:15pm https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/30/ ... idfielder/

Plus = Dan Hannebery

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Laurie
Club Player

Definately worth a look .
Hannebery replacement who i hope SL will make move on sooner than later absolute waste on our team list.
Hannebery should have the kahutas to put his hand up and say thats it from me. .

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'm wondering if we apply the 2 for 1 strategy and target 2 midfielders in the age bracket of 20 to 25 range who were highly rated in thier draft but have been starved of opportunities because they are at a club with a strong midfield, think Lipinski at the Dogs now a Pie.

We wouldn't have to sell the farm for a marquee player who might struggle to fit into the side for big head reasons and doubles our chance of nailing a decent midfielder.

I'd probably apply the strategy twice and bring in 4 midfielders, the second lot of 2 could be over 25 and have proven A grade games but have fallen out of favour at thier club.

I'd probably get the spread of inside and outside speed too.

We need midfield depth quickly and bringing in another messiah could just break this list as well as only increase our depth by 1.

I don't think we should be trading away 1st round picks for a few years and I think Gags has been successful in finding players, they just haven't been targeting the midfield so he just needs to turn his talents and resources towards that part of the ground. And like all of his resources should be put on code red if they aren't already.
Last edited by Vortex on Thu 31 Mar 2022 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 31 Mar 2022 2:00pm I'm wondering if we apply the 2 for 1 strategy and target 2 midfielders in the age bracket of 20 to 25 range who were highly rated in thier draft but have been starved of opportunities because they are at a club with a strong midfield, think Lipinski at the Dogs now a Pie.

We wouldn't have to sell the farm for a marquee player who might struggle to fit into the side for big head reasons and doubles our chance of nailing a decent midfielder.

I'd probably apply the strategy twice and bring in 4 midfielders, the second lot of 2 could be over 25 and have proven A grade games but have fallen out of favour at thier club.

I'd probably get the spread of inside and outside speed too.

We need midfield depth quickly and bringing in another messiah could just break this list as well as only increase our depth by 1.
That strategy probably works if you have a side with 6 A graders including 3 midfield a graders - we have 1 and multiple B or B+ players. Adding another 2 B+ players will see us remain in no mans land 7-12 on the ladder.
Apart form Steele we don't have A graders in the middle. Recent premiership sides show you need more than 1 through the middle. Petracca/Oliver, Martin/Cotchin, Shuey/Yeo.

We have got these types already - Jones, Crouch,
JMO

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Yes please, now Bing is a bust we should go for this sort of young possibly elite talent.
We have all the B graders and GOPs we can handle, we need a couple of guns.
King, Marshall, Steele and another A grade midfielder and we will contend.
(Plus another key back)

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
lloyd21
Club Player

Talent this years draft very strong , particularly midfield.

Big fan of Taranto…it’s a no from me.

Rather get Kieren Briggs from GWS ..out of contract for ruck depth cost nothing.

Only player would be trading in long term myself is Finn Callaghan from Giants.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Thu 31 Mar 2022 1:53pm Definately worth a look .
Hannebery replacement who i hope SL will make move on sooner than later absolute waste on our team list.
Hannebery should have the kahutas to put his hand up and say thats it from me. .
WTF is a kahuta?

On topic, Taranto would be an awesome addition to a team...especially ours.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

We cannot keep wasting picks on trades. Grab FA's only.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's an a grade mid at the beginning of his prime. We should absolutely go after him.

Steele, Taranto, Crouch, Jones, Gresham, Sinclair and Clark would be a formidable midfield.

axcellence
Club Player

He’s a money man as Leigh Matthews describes them.

When the game needs to be won, the money men get in, provide leadership and swing the game.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 12:05am He's an a grade mid at the beginning of his prime. We should absolutely go after him.

Steele, Taranto, Crouch, Jones, Gresham, Sinclair and Clark would be a formidable midfield.
We can't afford to be trading 2 first round draft picks for one player. How about we take two first round draft picks to the draft and grab 2 guns??!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Another young GWS midfielder who is out of contract at season end is Xavier OHalloran, would come cheaper than Taranto.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player ... ohalloran/

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 4:23pm
mad saint guy wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 12:05am He's an a grade mid at the beginning of his prime. We should absolutely go after him.

We can't afford to be trading 2 first round draft picks for one player. How about we take two first round draft picks to the draft and grab 2 guns??!!
When was the last time a club gave up two first round picks for a midfielder? The general value is one first round and another late second or equivalent.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He hasn’t won a premiership medal - why would he want to come to us.
Yes would love to see him in Saints colours but we need to make finals this year to have any chance of him even considering us.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Exactly how are we going to get him?!

Firstly he has to pick us (unlikely)

Then we have to have cap room for a Million Dollar Man

Then we would need the trade capital!!!!
Top 5 pick and then some!!!!

Only players they’d be interested in
King, Marshall, Gresham, Howard, Steele

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Remember when the Forum was all for Shields. Then Kelly. We are so grass is greener, but it's not. We have better potential on our list now. We just need to be patient a little while, our recent drafts are top class. And I still have hopes for Paton.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 7:51pm Exactly how are we going to get him?!

GWS need to clear out cap space so would likely be willing to trade for picks. Hannebery, Ryder and Geary retiring will clear out a heap of cap space for us.

Shaggy
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 11:09pm
B.M wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 7:51pm Exactly how are we going to get him?!

GWS need to clear out cap space so would likely be willing to trade for picks. Hannebery, Ryder and Geary retiring will clear out a heap of cap space for us.
We have a similar chance to get Taranto from GWS as other teams have of getting Steele from us.

It may happen but they are established and enjoying their football with their teams. By leaving for more money and prospects of a flag devaluates what they have achieved with respective teams and ruins friendships amongst their team mates similar to a divorce.

At the top of the tree it rarely happens unless for family reasons

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

With Hannebery, Ryder & Geary finishing up I dont think salary cap will be an issue. If we looked at Xavier OHalloran or Tanner Bruhn they wouldnt cost the earth $$$ wise or in a trade. GWS have a number of similiar players and with their age/experience they would be a perfect fit for our list.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

O Halleron and Bruhn would come cheap because they are untried and obviously not great (no better than Bytel or Byrnes)

We need great players not more GOPs

Doubt Geary and Ryder are on massive coin

Hannebery will give us some space but I’m guessing King and Steele would have nice contracts as would Crouch and Howard