Rattens move to take Hill out of defence won us the game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Rattens move to take Hill out of defence won us the game

It was half way through the third quarter and it was after Hill made about 3 mistakes for the quarter, including fumbling and including that effort to kick a goal on his non preferred.

I don’t care where Ratts and the match committee play Hill as long as he is not in defense. We were under the pump early in that 3rd quarter and we needed our experienced players to stand up. Rather than stand up, Hill was costing us goals.

Brad Hill coughs up the ball more than most when he’s under pressure

If you can’t at least hold onto the footy and cause a stoppage, you are a liability.

It’s not good for team morale when you have one of your best ball users turning it over in the backline. It’s also energy draining when your team is doing well generally and there are poor defensive efforts by the same player and by one of your most experienced players

Trixilver
Club Player

Re: Rattens move to take Hill out of defence won us the game

It's interesting because sometimes he's great there, but when the pressure is on there always seems to be someone running with Hill or in the right place to break off their man and impact Hill as soon as he's about to receive it. He runs well and can set up our play beautifully if he can just get it forward of centre, but he rarely gets more than two steps to ever get rid of it. And our players are inclined to give it to a running Hill, so it's an easy pass for the opposition to predict.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Hill either plays wing or at Sandy

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
StPeter
Club Player

I agree it was definitely the turning point but I have always thought Hill should not be in defence.

His poor defensive pressure and costly turnovers when under pressure have been obvious for a long time.

He plays on the wing or not at all. He was only moved to defence to get some easy possessions to get back into form.

SaintWiki
Club Player

I don't know why many supporters don't understand that one of the key things Richmond players were coached pre-game was to pay very close attention on Hill to stop his run - so much so yesterday that he got the fumbles when he got slightly off the leash. Yes he was moved to change that situation, but if anyone thinks Hill will get the arse over that situation don't understand what's going on.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i've always been a huge fan of Hill mainly because of his disposal but after watching Sinclair I realise now Hill is getting close to his retirement.

Sinclair not only has Hill's disposal skills but gets his own ball and on a lot less money.

Not saying drop Hill because he still a target for oppo sides , will take a good defender and he is can still dispose the ball nicely 99% of the time.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:43am Hill either plays wing or at Sandy
Interesting take as he was moved to HF during the second half.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

SaintWiki wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 9:10am I don't know why many supporters don't understand that one of the key things Richmond players were coached pre-game was to pay very close attention on Hill to stop his run - so much so yesterday that he got the fumbles when he got slightly off the leash. Yes he was moved to change that situation, but if anyone thinks Hill will get the arse over that situation don't understand what's going on.
Finally someone who gets it!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think Ratts learnt a lot about his coaching yesterday. If something is not working you cant keep doing the same things expecting them to change eg Hill in defence. Its clear Hill sets up play from defence with his run and kicking, but when the forward pressure is high like it was yesterday. Hill melts and costs us goals. As long as Ratts is prepared to move him as required Im happy with the staus quo.

Watch him have a blinder on the MCG this week, because he will have more room to move. With forward pressing teams, playing defence at Marvel doesn't suit him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Took far too long to make the change

It was bleeding obvious 10 mins into the second

Also to move Paton back to familiar territory in the back half… because he was all at see on the wing and couldn’t get near it!

He also moved Sinclair back to cover for Hill’s run

All of these are situations I would start with!

SunnyErnie
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 7:07pm
SaintWiki wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 9:10am I don't know why many supporters don't understand that one of the key things Richmond players were coached pre-game was to pay very close attention on Hill to stop his run - so much so yesterday that he got the fumbles when he got slightly off the leash. Yes he was moved to change that situation, but if anyone thinks Hill will get the arse over that situation don't understand what's going on.
Finally someone who gets it!
Wrong!!!!!! Finally someone that has the same opinion as you which I firmly believe is wrong and so do others

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Good post teams have worked out Hill is paramount to our run & carry & are putting a lot of time into him so that frees up other players & I think you could see that on Sunday IMO