Sinclair Underrated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Sinclair Underrated

Jack Sinclair surely is the moat underrated player in the AFL.

Underrated by Saints supporters for many years.

Also by the umpires. Second in Trevor Barker Award last year and not a Brownlow vote.

John Pierk, reporting in The Age for the Saints last two games did not put Sinclair in the best players and yet he was arguably BOG in both matches.

People forget he was the ONLY Saints player rated elite by Champion Data as far back as 2018. https://www.foxsports.com.au/.../cbd981 ... 432b78bfba...

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sinclair Underrated

Syncs will only pop up on the radar when the team starts accumulating Ws at the desirable rate.

The media will then look to us for stories such as "what is the reason for the Saints sudden climb up the ladder". You can hear King and Fox footy trotting that one out can't you.

People only look down the sewer pipes when there is a blockage.

We need more wins.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We’ve won 25 of our last 45

Not great, but better than a lot of other teams with highly rated players

He is a very good player

Also underrated
C.Wilkie, J.Webster, B.Crouch, T.Membrey

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 3:11pm We’ve won 25 of our last 45

Not great, but better than a lot of other teams with highly rated players

He is a very good player

Also underrated
C.Wilkie, J.Webster, B.Crouch, T.Membrey
The operative term was "desirable rate".

Middle of the ladder teams generally aren't that sexy was my point. If Dusty played for North Melbourne they'd probably only be a bottom 8 side instead of a bottom 2 side and hardly any prime time exposure so the media wouldn't write him up to the extent they do because he's a premiership player for a powerhouse side.

If individuals in our side want to be rated by the neutrals they will need significant team success.

StPeter
Club Player

Interesting interview with Ratts on AFL 360 where he highlighted Crouch, Gresh, Steele and Ross as the mid-field's influence on the game.

When Robbo brought up that he left out Sinclair, Ratts tried almost to downplay and divert his influence and participation in the mid-field.

Maybe it suits them Sinclair going under the radar.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 3:30pm Interesting interview with Ratts on AFL 360 where he highlighted Crouch, Gresh, Steele and Ross as the mid-field's influence on the game.

When Robbo brought up that he left out Sinclair, Ratts tried almost to downplay and divert his influence and participation in the mid-field.

Yeah, noted that. Good pick up. Hope Sincs keeps flying under the radar for the foreseeable future.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Not by me

diddley
Club Player

StPeter wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 2:15pm People forget he was the ONLY Saints player rated elite by Champion Data as far back as 2018.

I don’t think anyone has forgotten at all. In fact people bring that up regularly, but mocking him about it back then. Now he has improved drastically, he has managed to hush a few doubters.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 3:30pm Interesting interview with Ratts on AFL 360 where he highlighted Crouch, Gresh, Steele and Ross as the mid-field's influence on the game.

I hope that doesn’t mean Brett has him earmarked to stay at HB ?? Yes he’s good there but he turned a game against pies for us out middle with his ball use/run…we lack that Polish even Jones etc lacks it

He can pidgeonhole good ole Brett….

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmike65
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 11:32pm

I hope that doesn’t mean Brett has him earmarked to stay at HB ?? Yes he’s good there but he turned a game against pies for us out middle with his ball use/run…we lack that Polish even Jones etc lacks it

Relax…Sinclair is now training with the midfield group!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair has been enormous this year. His evolution as a midfielder has come at a really important time for the team. It will make for some interesting match committee discussions when Clark returns. For me Clark doesnt have the physique to play through the midfield, so he goes back to Sinc's defensive flank and use Sinc's as a full time mid.

Ive said it before but I am really disappointed in the club not pushing Clark to develop an AFL ready body. Surely he has to more susceptible to injuries when he has zero muscle definition eg lacking strength?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 11:21am Ive said it before but I am really disappointed in the club not pushing Clark to develop an AFL ready body. Surely he has to more susceptible to injuries when he has zero muscle definition eg lacking strength?
I'm quite confident if he was built like Arnie his jaw still would have been broken. He will continue to develop, prior to both injuries he was tracking well.

King & Hayes have both been criticised in relation to their bodies, as has Higgins. In my opinion it is their effort and skill execution that are the only true measurements of their worth. If one of those is below par they are no good to us.

Afterall, Kent is built like a tank, there's more to AFL than body shape.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Clark's physique reminds me of Farren Ray. He'll never be bash and crash. We've got other players to do that. He's been unlucky in the past 12 months, although from a technique point of view he needs to take care when reaching forward for the ball in contested situations. He leaves himself wide open for a hit at times. He's a real talent and I just hope they've made the correct decision by not taking the surgical option on that shoulder

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint Jack Sinclair is the eighth-best midfielder in the AFL under Champion Data rankings,

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 12:39pm Clark's physique reminds me of Farren Ray. He'll never be bash and crash. We've got other players to do that. He's been unlucky in the past 12 months, although from a technique point of view he needs to take care when reaching forward for the ball in contested situations. He leaves himself wide open for a hit at times. He's a real talent and I just hope they've made the correct decision by not taking the surgical option on that shoulder
Not a bad comparison but I think Hunter draws the tackle a little more than Farren did but still quite similar in build. The little I know of shoulders, the more or longer you can avoid surgery the better off you are, certainly in the long run.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 9:28am
Teflon wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 11:32pm

Relax…Sinclair is now training with the midfield group!
Lovely!

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 11:21am Sinclair has been enormous this year. His evolution as a midfielder has come at a really important time for the team. It will make for some interesting match committee discussions when Clark returns. For me Clark doesnt have the physique to play through the midfield, so he goes back to Sinc's defensive flank and use Sinc's as a full time mid.

Ive said it before but I am really disappointed in the club not pushing Clark to develop an AFL ready body. Surely he has to more susceptible to injuries when he has zero muscle definition eg lacking strength?
I think you’ll find Hunter’s physique won’t change much no matter how long he has in the gym.
Think Michael Tuck, Dustin Fletcher, Ken Hunter, Shane Edwards, Eric Hipwood etc. etc…
It’s his tank that needs building!

stkfc1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 4:46pm

Yeah, noted that. Good pick up. Hope Sincs keeps flying under the radar for the foreseeable future.
Ratts on Steele=Amazing leader!
Ratts on Ross= Gives us experience!
Ratts on Crouch= He's a bull and gives his all!
Ratts on Sinclair= Next question, move along nothing to see here

Reckon old Ratts is well aware of what Sincs is. He just wants a few more weeks of where the rest of the comp hasn't figured it out.
Sincs keeps putting up these performances and he won't he able to hide him forever. He's our only other A grader besides Steele ATM.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 11:38am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 11:21am Ive said it before but I am really disappointed in the club not pushing Clark to develop an AFL ready body. Surely he has to more susceptible to injuries when he has zero muscle definition eg lacking strength?
I'm quite confident if he was built like Arnie his jaw still would have been broken. He will continue to develop, prior to both injuries he was tracking well.

King & Hayes have both been criticised in relation to their bodies, as has Higgins. In my opinion it is their effort and skill execution that are the only true measurements of their worth. If one of those is below par they are no good to us.

I dont understand your reasoning Ghost - the jaw injury/comment is completely irrelevant to his shoulder injury?

King is 204cms and plays a very different role. How many games has Kent played as a midfielder or how many upper body injuries has he had?

Can you name any other 23yo AFL or older want to be AFL midfielder that have less muscle definition than Hunter? I wouldn't think so, he still looks like an 18 yo its a distinct short fall in his development IMO. His lack of physical development has stunted his progression or impact into becoming the midfielder he has the game to become.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 5:24pm

I dont understand your reasoning Ghost - the jaw injury/comment is completely irrelevant to his shoulder injury?

King is 204cms and plays a very different role. How many games has Kent played as a midfielder or how many upper body injuries has he had?

Can you name any other 23yo AFL or older want to be AFL midfielder that have less muscle definition than Hunter? I wouldn't think so, he still looks like an 18 yo its a distinct short fall in his development IMO. His lack of physical development has stunted his progression or impact into becoming the midfielder he has the game to become.
Not when you used the plural "injuries", which in Clarke's case would reference his two major injuries, his jaw & his shoulder. That's my reasoning.

I actually don't think Clarke's physical development is as bad as you allude it is & I don't believe it will hold him back. A collision shoulder injury can happen to any build of player if hit at the right point.

I'm not comparing roles either, I'm noting people's belief that certain players do not have AFL ready bodies. Effort & skills will trump body type, in my opinion.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As Saintmike65 said, it is his tank that has stunted his midfield progression, not his physique.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If he improves his tank, his physique will change

It’s not necessarily him getting bigger, it’s about his muscle tone, which is non existent. At the moment, he doesn’t appear AFL fit.

Compare his body, to that of Sam Walsh, Adam Cerra or any other mid about his age - they look flint hard, he isn’t.

Which points to not working hard enough on the track.

In Ross Lyons words (to Dal after the 08 prelim) “Get a fkn AFL body!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't know what this "flint hard" thing is, you used that as the reason Hayes shouldn't get a game. I'm not really sure that holds much weight to be honest.

I agree Hunter needs to build his tank to make a leap to consistent, starting mid.

Sometimes building up the body detracts from running abilities. The great Robert Harvey was a prime example, Nathan Buckley another. I also believe some blamed Coffield's bulking up as detracting from his running ability.

Is it Nick Walsh now, is he our running / fitness coach. I've confidence in him to transform Clark and others. If he can stay with us for 3 more pre seasons, all our U/25s will fast track their development.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 6:32pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 06 Apr 2022 5:24pm

Not when you used the plural "injuries", which in Clarke's case would reference his two major injuries, his jaw & his shoulder. That's my reasoning.

I actually don't think Clarke's physical development is as bad as you allude it is & I don't believe it will hold him back. A collision shoulder injury can happen to any build of player if hit at the right point.

I'm not comparing roles either, I'm noting people's belief that certain players do not have AFL ready bodies. Effort & skills will trump body type, in my opinion.
I'm sorry but I disagree - he has been at the club 5 years now and still doesnt have an AFL ready physique. I feel it displays a distinct lack of professionalism or work ethic on his behalf. Believe it or not but you can still attain muscle definition and strength without putting on huge amounts of weight. So the old it affects his running just doesn't hold water.

True collision injuries still occur but you are a lot less likely to sustain serious injury if your body is AFL game ready and Hunter simply is not.

Killa
Club Player

You really do read some rubbish on this site

Clark and Coffield will significantly improve this side because they are both highest class young footballers- both about the 60 game mark (noting both have endured injuries - Coffield from his breakout first quarter v Fremantle at Docklands)