Grimes did not play on King!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Grimes did not play on King!

I’ve seen or read it umpteen times this week.

Tarrant played on Max for the whole game. Grimes was on Marshall or Hayes or Membrey at various times

It’s just so lazy. Grimes went off and King kicked four therefore Grimes must have been playing on King.

Even this bloke got it badly wrong, but I can only assume he had a lot on his mind during Maddie’s match.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Grimes did not play on King!

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 07 Apr 2022 12:24am I’ve seen or read it umpteen times this week.

Tarrant played on Max for the whole game. Grimes was on Marshall or Hayes or Membrey at various times

It’s just so lazy. Grimes went off and King kicked four therefore Grimes must have been playing on King.

Even this bloke got it badly wrong, but I can only assume he had a lot on his mind during Maddie’s match.

Come on Kosi don't let the truth get in way of a good story :wink:

Trixilver
Club Player

Not to mention Grimes was beaten a bunch of times before he went off. (if you actually watch the game)

Ape_Man
Club Player

I've seen this doing the rounds.

I'm not a smart man, but if what I have read is true then Grimes is worth 20 goals a game and the greatest defender that has graced the game.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I concur, big guy.
Tarrant wears #6.
When Long kicked that beauty to King, Skunk n 2 Tigers, that King marked+played on for a goal, #6 was just in front of Max and his shoulders slumped as soon as Max marked and crowd screamed. His whole body said 'Geezus I'm cooked'

I could see #6 pretty much every time Max was near the ball.
Pretty sure he was on the mark when Max took a mark on HB in the 1st qtr, for instance

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Old man Tarrant was just eventually worked over until King got off the chain - the impact of Grimes going off was that Balta moved to the back line to shore up the defense and so they lost another avenue to goal aside from Spud Lynch

Our Forwards got a burst of speed - King kept on keeping on while Tarrant lost a yard - our backline had one less tall to content with

Simples

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=Ape_Man post_id=1946562 time=1649254774 user_id=375]
I've seen this doing the rounds.

I'm not a smart man, but if what I have read is true then Grimes is worth 20 goals a game and the greatest defender that has graced the game.
[/quote]

And he makes every other 21 players 2 times better

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Tarrant was definitely on King for most of the game

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 07 Apr 2022 12:24am I’ve seen or read it umpteen times this week.

Yes Grimes when he was on the field was mainly on Hayes. When I watched the replay looking for the so-called King /Grimes battle only once can I recall there being a contest between them, and that was when Max had pushed up on the wing and Grimes went to him.

The other point with Grimes that day was that for him he got little of the ball. He only had 5 disposals and 1 mark for the game which for him was less prominent than he would normally be for that quantity of a game.

I suspect that with him mainly being on Hayes, that Hayes had been instructed to try and draw Grimes, the Tigers best tall defender, away from the ball and away from Max. If so that probably is also a reason why Hayes was quiet on the day.

So there is no real argument about Grimes having a major influence on the course of THIS game. Grimes certainly normally does, but in this particular game he was not. And he certainly was not a real factor in limiting Max's influence on the day.

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 07 Apr 2022 12:24am Even this bloke got it badly wrong, but I can only assume he had a lot on his mind during Maddie’s match.

And not just due to the Maddies Match Duties either, as Dad Duties also arose.

During the game at one stage my wife dashed off to the toilets, and came back remarking how Roo was out the back as well doing a toilet run with his son and that Nick' son had yelled out "Nick Riewoldt" as they left the toilets.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Grimes is undoubtedly a good player, but it seems that quite a few commentators have somehow conflated him in their minds with Rance and, over the last couple of years, have elevated him to the status of the prince of AFL defenders which isn't warranted IMO. In his day, Rance stood head and shoulders above the rest (metaphorically speaking), whereas Grimes is one of a number of quality full backs going around at the moment, and arguably not the best of them.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, many people have missed the trick Richmond have used since 2017 with Dylan Grimes. He takes a smaller forward - because he is agile enough - and leaves his man to assist in contested marking. This works if the mark is taken and doesn't spill to the ground. Most times in 2017 -2020, the mark was taken - hence the three flags. His game has declined in the last year or so, not least of all because he has lost some of his marking mates. On Sunday, I saw him with Tim Membrey or Jack Hayes before he went off. No doubt we had increased chances with him going off, as you do whenever a good opposition has to leave the ground.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Nice article in the Mongrel Punt describing the collapse of Richmond's defence after Grimes's withdrawal.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... ng-points/

I thought it was interesting and the best piece I've read about the match so far.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Thu 07 Apr 2022 12:27pm Yes, many people have missed the trick Richmond have used since 2017 with Dylan Grimes. He takes a smaller forward - because he is agile enough - and leaves his man to assist in contested marking. This works if the mark is taken and doesn't spill to the ground. Most times in 2017 -2020, the mark was taken - hence the three flags. His game has declined in the last year or so, not least of all because he has lost some of his marking mates. On Sunday, I saw him with Tim Membrey or Jack Hayes before he went off. No doubt we had increased chances with him going off, as you do whenever a good opposition has to leave the ground.

It is hardly a Richmond, or Grimes, trick. It is what all defences now do week in week out. Grimes was ok till he went off, rather than being brilliant.

Main thing is with Max against the Tigers:
1/ he got on his bike and moved around more in the last quarter
2/ we as a team started using the ball better all over the ground. Max was a beneficiary.

However Max became the icing on the scoring cake. We had already wrested the momentum in the third (both in us scoring, and denying the Tigers the ability to score, and Max then joined the party in the fourth in a big way. But by then we had broken the game open.

Too many commentators went with the game changed when Grimes went off.

A bigger influence and earlier influence than Maxes first goal was moving Hill who had just leaked 2 goals under pressure on top of a generally poor game (anytime he was near an opponent his game was poor) back to the more open spaces of the HFF where he became an ok contributor (ie went from a massive liability to being an asset) and taking Sinclair from the midfield and and placing him back across HB where he was simply elite both defensively and offensively.

Crouch in the second half was also enormous for us. It was by far the best football he has played with us in terms of how he used the ball.
Ryder also got better and better as the game went on making our mids more effective.

All of these latter points had nothing to do with Grimes leaving the contest.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

"Might be some apologies in order from Saints fans when it comes to Seb Ross. I, too, was critical of him in Round One, but he really lifted a gear in the third quarter of this one. Maybe he is not a “complete waste of sperm” as one St Kilda fan stated to me. I have to admit, it made me smile – his mum probably didn’t think it was a waste."

from themongrelpunt

I don' know whether to :lol: or :cry: .

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I like Seb Ross surprising me much more than I like him pissing me the f*** off with fumbles and turnovers. I was surprised, well I was pleasantly surprised. I did say a few weeks ago that they should probably unleash the old Seb that won B&F's, there is a lot more support around in the team now for a bloke that runs the ball down like he did in his B&F years.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pleasantly surprised Seb played well

Must have missed the majority of his 163 games

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Probably Seb’s best game since 2019.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think King's big turning point was when he started to move around and try for front position- for two and a half quarters he stayed back behind the pack hoping for a crumb, but that's not a job for a big forward. He needs to lead from the front and demand the ball from the first bounce.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sebs best game since 2019?

Last season vs Port
19 kicks
12 hb
8 tackles

Fair outing?

Vs Hawthorn the following week
17 kicks
12 htb
3 tackles

Remembering last season he played generally a n the wing

2020 had many run-with roles

Numbers down as a result

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 07 Apr 2022 8:49pm Pleasantly surprised Seb played well

Must have missed the majority of his 163 games
Yes. For a multiple best and fairest winner and top 40 AA mid, he's been a tad disappointing for a few years.
If he maintains his current form, I'll be very pleased and would have underestimated his value. He's been outstanding for about 60 of those games.

No actually, I just read what I wrote, I take it back. He has been very good and deserves more respect.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 07 Apr 2022 9:48pm I think King's big turning point was when he started to move around and try for front position- for two and a half quarters he stayed back behind the pack hoping for a crumb, but that's not a job for a big forward. He needs to lead from the front and demand the ball from the first bounce.
Thank you for this.

That’s what I was wondering…

Assume instructions played a part

And Grimes’s injury helped

Even though he wasn’t Kingy’s opponent

Wonder why it took nearly three quarters

To figure it out

(And where is Asiu nowadays?

Miss his economy and sense.)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You do realise that his role changed from 2019 to 2020 to 2021?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 11:35am You do realise that his role changed from 2019 to 2020 to 2021?
No?

How so?

You mean Kingy’s..

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 11:35am You do realise that his role changed from 2019 to 2020 to 2021?
Yes. He was a multiple B&F winner and made top 40 AA and had his role changed. Makes mountains of sense, doesn't it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steele had his role changed as well, post AR

Basically Ratten interchanged Ross and Steele
Primary Ball Winner and Tagger
Zac Jones also added to inside group for run from stoppage

In 2021 Crouch was added
So Ross was squeezed out onto a wing

Both of these Roles meant less footy for Seb

He played his role in the team.