Strategy to bring in another FRDP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Strategy to bring in another FRDP

What older player can we trade so we can get another FRDP for this year? Do we have anyone that we can afford to lose plus add a 3rd RDP so we can get a FRDP in return?

I'm just throwing this up as an idea so all you attack dogs hold your horses!!

Membrey will be 28 in a few weeks so could fit the bill. Would our 3rd RDP plus Membrey be enough to get a pick around 15 (late FRDP)? If we could get that sort of return I would do it. This would enable us to play Sharman in Mebrey's spot and then use an extra FRDP as we see fit.

Thoughts???

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Strategy to bring in another FRDP

No!

Membrey has 3-4 years of football at the peak of his career. It has already been mentioned by BM in a thread about some of the running and the pressure acts he is involved in (which do not get a mention on the stat sheet). He is probably stiff in not getting named amongst the best players each week in all our games this year. He is also a great role model and leader

We have growth occurring right before eyes within our current list. Have a look at the emerging players like Sinclair. He is not only one of our best but he is a product of the leadership group which Skunk has been part of the last few years.

We need to keep our best and most consistent players and the Skunk is definitely one of our top performers. He could quite possibly be a St Kilda premiership player in 2023 or 2024 or 2025.

….And another thing….You’re just re-hashing the exact same thread where you posed the question on Members in a very similar way

It’s a waste of time

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just like when we offloaded 27yo Brendon Goddard as a FA and got pick 13

Which we used on Tom Hickey and pick 25 Spencer White

How’d that go?!

BJ went on to win a B&F and Captain Essendon and play another 120 good games

Our guys played less than 50 average ones

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Oh my, if catching marlin was so easy it would not be a sport / past time.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 12:16am What older player can we trade so we can get another FRDP for this year? Do we have anyone that we can afford to lose plus add a 3rd RDP so we can get a FRDP in return?

I'm just throwing this up as an idea so all you attack dogs hold your horses!!

Membrey will be 28 in a few weeks so could fit the bill. Would our 3rd RDP plus Membrey be enough to get a pick around 15 (late FRDP)? If we could get that sort of return I would do it. This would enable us to play Sharman in Mebrey's spot and then use an extra FRDP as we see fit.

Thoughts???
So trade a known quantity for an unknown FRDP - Ernie - go back and look at the stats - how many FRDP achieve what Membrey et al are currently doing??

At this point I would be picking Members over Coff and Clarke and Billings and ....

They have had time to develop

I am guessing that you do not see us competing for the next 5 years!!!!

Membrey is a vital part of the RW&B
I am not attacking - but I am certainly questioning whether you are a supporter or a journo looking for a story

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Saintmike65
Club Player

Makes no sense to trade Membrey…apart from being in career best form, the guy’s in the leadership group and very popular with his teammates.
Important to nail our draft picks to add to what we’ve got!

SunnyErnie
Club Player

To all the Attack Dogs, the reasons you have stated clearly illustrate why St Kilda has 27 wooden spoons and are the laughing stock of the football general public. Take a good look at how good Hawthorn are at regenerating their list.They have no problem jettosing favourite players if it means the team will be better in the long run FFS. Decades of failure have taught us nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 1:29am Just like when we offloaded 27yo Brendon Goddard as a FA and got pick 13

Which we used on Tom Hickey and pick 25 Spencer White

How’d that go?!

BJ went on to win a B&F and Captain Essendon and play another 120 good games

Our guys played less than 50 average ones
The strategy was sound but our execution was poor. Why not do something outrageous with pick 13 and grab a gun in the draft?

NeXus
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A thread drift if I may because it's been playing on my mind:

Anyone seen the latest Bunnings ad with the blonde girl telling us her Dad loves two things: the footy and Bunnings and that her Dad loves it when he can combine his two loves by watching the footy while he does a DYI project around the home.

Now call me crazy but I don't think there would be one bloke in this country that loves nothing more than doing those two things at the same time.

Surely that's a wind up huh?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you know Pick 13 in the draft will be a gun?

Is there a guarantee of that???

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I do hope Nexus Helen or whoever this is gets bored with this nonsense soon and goes away for another extended spell.

Presumably the use of pick 13 - close to the one we got for BJ (12) - and the suggestion that we should model our approach to recruiting on that of Hawthorn (from whence we got Pelchen, alas) - indicates that the troll is taking the piss.

Let's ignore them.
Last edited by meher baba on Fri 08 Apr 2022 1:54pm, edited 3 times in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 10:22am A thread drift if I may because it's been playing on my mind:

Anyone seen the latest Bunnings ad with the blonde girl telling us her Dad loves two things: the footy and Bunnings and that her Dad loves it when he can combine his two loves by watching the footy while he does a DYI project around the home.

Now call me crazy but I don't think there would be one bloke in this country that loves nothing more than doing those two things at the same time.

You picked it Vortex, this bloke has done it again, threw a "gotcha" into the pond to see if anyone would bite, and sure enough a few were conned...he posts some really rubbish stuff just to get people stirred up :roll:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Killa
Club Player

In terms of analysis of the List, conclusions include that Webster is 29, with Coffield and Clark currently injured

Just for starters

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 1:54pm In terms of analysis of the List, conclusions include that Webster is 29, with Coffield and Clark currently injured

Just for starters
I have no idea what this means. Could you please provide a translation?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 1:50pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 10:22am A thread drift if I may because it's been playing on my mind:

You picked it Vortex, this bloke has done it again, threw a "gotcha" into the pond to see if anyone would bite, and sure enough a few were conned...he posts some really rubbish stuff just to get people stirred up :roll:
Not at all. I am providing my opinion on how to improve our list because if we keep doing the same thing we are going nowhere. If you don't agree with my opinion that's ok

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 1:48pm I do hope Nexus Helen or whoever this is gets bored with this nonsense soon and goes away for another extended spell.

Presumably the use of pick 13 - close to the one we got for BJ (12) - and the suggestion that we should model our approach to recruiting on that of Hawthorn (from whence we got Pelchen, alas) - indicates that the troll is taking the piss.

Let's ignore them.
I was trying to point out that we need to be more ruthless. Just like Hawthorn. Make the hard decisions for the betterment of our list going forward without sentiment getting in the way

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 11:40am How do you know Pick 13 in the draft will be a gun?

Is there a guarantee of that???
There are no guarantees. We just need to ensure that we have the best recruiters

NeXus
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Since Hawthorn has been ruthless (exiting players)

How have they gone

They were ruthless bringing players in (Guerra, Dew, Burgoyne, Gunston, Frawley, McEvoy, Lake, Gibson)
Won them flags

Exiting players
Won them zilch

SunnyErnie
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 2:12pm Since Hawthorn has been ruthless (exiting players)

How have they gone

They were ruthless bringing players in (Guerra, Dew, Burgoyne, Gunston, Frawley, McEvoy, Lake, Gibson)
Won them flags

Exiting players
Won them zilch
I'm not sure what you are referring to B.M but Hawthorn have just come off 4 flags and they are already looking like they have rebuilt again. This is because they don't let emotion get in the way of exiting club legends for the betterment of their list.

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 2:12pm Since Hawthorn has been ruthless (exiting players)

How have they gone

Won them flags

Exiting players
Won them zilch
So true.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Exactly

They are rebuilding

The biggest myth in footy

SunnyErnie
Club Player

I can guarantee you that if Grant Thomas was running the club we would become ruthless like Hawthorn. He would not let emotion or club champions stand in the way of St Kilda winning a premiership(s). He would run the place ruthlessly like a business and we would be the envy of all footballing public.

If we don't play finals this year I hope he comes in and tears the board a new one!!

NeXus
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If you have to worry about attack dogs then surely you know what you are doing is trolling

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Surely you jest

I like Grant, and honestly believe he was good for the club at that time

But he would have zero interest in running the club.

You call Hawthorn ruthless

Their list is s***, they are no different to where we were in 2015 - going nowhere

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Didn’t we off load Bruce, Acres, Newnes and Steven while bringing in five players? Not ruthless enough for you?
Maybe we should throw Steele into your trade deal and get a top five pick. We’d get a real superstar with that. Guaranteed flag.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.