James Gallagher

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

James Gallagher

James was in Adelaide for his induction into the Norwood Football Club Hall of Fame.

His current position as List Manager at St Kilda Football Club was mentioned.

To digress, in that position, James has overseen a transformation at St Kilda

Consider that the start point was the recognition St Kilda lacked mid-aged experience, so they went to the State Leagues in both SA and WA.

In 2022, we now have a raft of players with mid-aged experience, past 50 and approaching the 100 game mark.

Consider this side (games as at the start of 2022):-

Wilkie (63 games) Howard (85 games) Paton (35 games)
Coffield (52 games) Battle (56 games) Clark (60 games)
Hill (190 games) Steele (119 games) Jones (119 games)
Billings (144 games) Marshall (65 games) Higgins (62 games)
Membrey (131 games) King (38 games) Gresham (95 games)
Ryder (269 games) Crouch (113 games) Sinclair (119 games)
Butler (86 games) Ross (160 games) Wanganeen-Milera (0 games) Hannebery (223 games)

In terms of depth,

Coffield -> Webster
Clark -> Lienert
Jones -> McKenzie
Billings -> Wood
Higgins -> Long
Hanneberry -> Windhager

KPP depth remains but there are youngsters on the List who will develop.

And, of course, we will continue to recruit and Draft.

Gallagher has done brilliantly since assuming his position at St Kilda FC.

He has the DNA - witness his career at Norwood (and over generations at Norwood where the Gallagher name is revered) and his post football appointments prior to arriving at St Kilda.

It has taken time, and in those jobs the task is never completed.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: James Gallagher

How can you argue with Wilkie, Sharman, Highmore, and Leinert? All of them cost us almost nothing in terms of trade or national draft picks (only Highmore required a national draft pick in the third round). Wood cost us nothing, too.

Let's look at the trades:

Ryder
Hill
Jones
Butler
Howard
Higgins
Crouch

Do you reckon the five draft picks we gave up were worth it? Hell yeah

Based on what I've seen since his arrival, I'm a fan. His list management has been far superior to anything we've seen since the end of the Grant Thomas era.

People like to focus on the fact that last year we picked up Frawley and McKernan, but they were free insurance only. Why focus on the positives when you can give the club a good kicking with the negatives, eh?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 7:16pm How can you argue with Wilkie, Sharman, Highmore, and Leinert? All of them cost us almost nothing in terms of trade or national draft picks (only Highmore required a national draft pick in the third round). Wood cost us nothing, too.

Let's look at the trades:

Ryder
Hill
Jones
Butler
Howard
Higgins
Crouch

Do you reckon the five draft picks we gave up were worth it? Hell yeah

Based on what I've seen since his arrival, I'm a fan. His list management has been far superior to anything we've seen since the end of the Grant Thomas era.

People like to focus on the fact that last year we picked up Frawley and McKernan, but they were free insurance only. Why focus on the positives when you can give the club a good kicking with the negatives, eh?
I agree, with one correction, Crouch was a free agent, so cost nothing in terms of picks. Makes it look even better.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Killa
Club Player

I would respond that I am referencing the period when we recruited Wilkie (who has remained and now an automatic selection), Parker, Young, Hind (and were there others?)

Sharman and Highmore were both Listed in 2021 and Lienert in 2022.

So, apart from Wilkie, not the players I was referencing.

The players bought in at the start of Gallagher's tenure to address the List demographic shortfall he identified all played their part at the time.

But look at what we have now!

And given the problematic back of Carlisle and the achilles problem and other circumstances Ryder had going into 2021, Frawley and McKernan were Listed as emergency, one season only back ups.

Time will be put into Heath, Allison and Adams (along with our other developing youth)

I do know for a fact that Brett was a little taken aback at the lack of development programs for junior players when he arrived (noting the friendship between Brett and Richardson).

As I have put before, St Kilda has got the best of Hawthorn, plus Port Adelaide, Geelong and also Norwood (all very successful, premiership winning Clubs).

St Kilda has a very strong off field resource.

And, hopefully, over the next 2 years the results will arrive.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Gags has done well but paid an insane amount picks wise for Hill. Freo definitely hurt us in that trade.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 9:49pm Gags has done well but paid an insane amount picks wise for Hill. Freo definitely hurt us in that trade.
Demonstrate/prove that assertion. Can you?
You need to show how you know how Brad is going to perform in the future and for how long with the Saints.
You need to show you know what his contract details are and you need equivalent comparisons and equivalent team development needs.
I accept you know about insane, so no need to prove your credentials in that regard.
But how has Freo hurt us? Didn't we just beat them on their dung heap. Some hurt. Didn't we flog them end of '21 ending their finals chances. Oh the pain.
I doubt you can answer credibly.
But that's not the point of the post is it. Just more childish stirring.
Or is there an intellectual basis for using the words insane and hurt?
Here's your chance champ. Show what you have got.
Nothing? Just blah blah blah with dog poo on it and a vuvuzela accompaniment?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Yorkey I like the " vuvuzela " reference 👌

In red white and black from 73
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 10:07pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 9:49pm Gags has done well but paid an insane amount picks wise for Hill. Freo definitely hurt us in that trade.
You need to show how you know how Brad is going to perform in the future and for how long with the Saints.
You need to show you know what his contract details are and you need equivalent comparisons and equivalent team development needs.
I accept you know about insane, so no need to prove your credentials in that regard.
But how has Freo hurt us? Didn't we just beat them on their dung heap. Some hurt. Didn't we flog them end of '21 ending their finals chances. Oh the pain.
I have seen some ridiculous responses on SAINTSATIONAL but this one is right up there. I will answer your first question but will ignore the rest.

The insane amount we paid for Hill is not an assertion. IT IS FACT.

After ample posturing Bradley Hill has been traded from Fremantle to St Kilda.

The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

Acres, who was reluctant to the trade, only underwent a medical with Fremantle late on Tuesday night.

Click on the link below for full article. I expect an apology.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... aadf25795a

NeXus
Killa
Club Player

Hill is a class footballer

Grand Finals are played at the MCG - where we played last Sunday

Interesting is that Hill is playing minus bandaging on his calf - unlike 2021

In regard Acres, who I rate, there was no real reason other than there was a view a change to his home State may benefit his development

And it got us the player we wanted

With a skill set we were lacking

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

….
Interesting that you mention the word intellectual

I know two things usually happen when I whack my head up against a solid mass like a tree or a brick wall

I will go insane and it will hurt my brain. That’s how I feel every time I try and debate with SunnyErnie

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think Ernie is right.
Hill is rubbish.
But can we get Blake Acres back?
As coach?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Yes we did pay a lot for Hill
But he was mid contract - and Freo could have held onto him for another 2 years.
Peter Bell also wanted to make a statement that clubs couldn’t just expect to pick up their star players mid contract without paying a high price.
Rotten was desperate for guys who could run , and kick well, to set the standard.

Arguably our team is now 2 way running better than ever and our field kicking has improved
No doubt the better our team plays the better Hill plays. Having a team decimated by injury in 2021 did Hill no favours.

Gags has snagged lots of bargains, but sometimes you have to pay a high price to get the missing piece to a set.

I think Gags has been great

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The entire club and football dept has been flipped on its head since Lethlean arrived. Apart from the Hannebery trade every appointment Lethers has done has been first class.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 2:50am I think Ernie is right.
Hill is rubbish.
As coach?
Stop putting words in my mouth. I did not say Hill is rubbish. I said Gags paid to much at the trade table for him!!!

NeXus
Killa
Club Player

I am uncertain as to why some contributors to this site say they are St Kilda supporters.

They seem to continually criticize all aspects of the Club.

Mind you, from the information I am privy to, they have no knowledge and therefore no credibility.

This thread is to acknowledge James Gallagher, including his elevation to the Norwood Football Club Hall of Fame.

So he joins icon figures on that Hall of Fame (across the 144 year history of that Football Club).

And I repeat, in my opinion, St Kilda FC is in very good hands across its Administration and across its Football Department.

The side we are now capable of putting on the park is testament to that opinion.

Noting that in the real World you are only as good as your last performance.

And, when it is a contest, someone wins and someone loses.

You learn from your losses.

And you learn from your wins.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 1:35pm I am uncertain as to why some contributors to this site say they are St Kilda supporters.

They seem to continually criticize all aspects of the Club.

Mind you, from the information I am privy to, they have no knowledge and therefore no credibility.

This thread is to acknowledge James Gallagher, including his elevation to the Norwood Football Club Hall of Fame.

So he joins icon figures on that Hall of Fame (across the 144 year history of that Football Club).

And I repeat, in my opinion, St Kilda FC is in very good hands across its Administration and across its Football Department.

The side we are now capable of putting on the park is testament to that opinion.

Noting that in the real World you are only as good as your last performance.

And, when it is a contest, someone wins and someone loses.

You learn from your losses.

And you learn from your wins.
Never have truer words been spoken on this site. Good on you mate. Glad you are on board.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I thought we were discussing James Gallagher's success in his role. It appears the conversation has now been shanghaied by your lack of perspective.

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 1:24pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 2:50am I think Ernie is right.
Hill is rubbish.
As coach?
Stop putting words in my mouth. I did not say Hill is rubbish. I said Gags paid to much at the trade table for him!!!
Just letting everyone know how you find this type font should you choose to use it. Up in the top left corner is the Font Menu, click on this and choose ShoutyErnie or CityWest.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

GOTTCHA

Saintmike65
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 10:52pm
I have seen some ridiculous responses on SAINTSATIONAL but this one is right up there. I will answer your first question but will ignore the rest.

The insane amount we paid for Hill is not an assertion. IT IS FACT.

After ample posturing Bradley Hill has been traded from Fremantle to St Kilda.

The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

Acres, who was reluctant to the trade, only underwent a medical with Fremantle late on Tuesday night.

In the case of Brad Hill, because he still had 2 years to run on his Freo contract, it required "overs' to get the deal done.
I believe he is on a front loaded contract, if that's the case would be earning a lot less now than his first year with us!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

[/glow]

[/quote]

I read the link. You have misrepresented the story, have a read, all, no cherry picking now:
The quoted link
Fremantle football boss Peter Bell said it was a “big trade” that took a “long time” to secure.

“We are really pleased with the result from a Fremantle perspective and I’m sure St Kilda are. They get themselves a fantastic wingman,” Bell told reporters.

“I think our fans will be pleased with what they have been able to receive in return.

“In time we will see who the winner is in this trade. We are also thrilled to receive Blake Acres.”

Hill has joined cousin Paddy Ryder and Port swingman Dougal Howard at Moorabbin.

Zak Jones, Dan Butler and Sam Gray could also be added to that tally by the end of the trade period.

St Kilda’s list manager James Gallagher told the club’s website the Saints were satisfied with the deal, despite giving up the talented Acres.

“We started the trade period knowing it would take a significant deal to satisfy the Dockers,” Gallagher said.

“Thankfully, we have been able to reach an agreement which reflects Bradley’s value as a contracted player and one of the game’s best outside midfielders.”

Hill, who had two years remaining on his contract, played 54 games for Fremantle.

Prior to that he played five seasons at Hawthorn, where he won three premierships."

No mention of insane or hurt. Reads like it was a reasonable market transaction.

Unless you can show Freo was prepared to settle for less to either Saints or another team.

But you can't. Can you?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Seems like a lot given the output so far.

“The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.”

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well Rolls-Royce are expensive.

Some might even trade a P76 as part of the deal.