Umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring

I’ve been watching AFL 360

This umpiring contention is ridiculous… turning the game into a circus!

If you want the umpires to be respected - bring in a ridiculous rule - that makes sense… to make them even more hated

That’s what happens when a tosser like Brad Scott is running the show - he’s not even the best Scott!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring

BTW

Bontempelli is sucking the umpires off, while Jack Reiwoldt is telling it how it is

Funny that
WB are the most looked after team in the comp statistically and the tigers the most penalised!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 9:18pm I’ve been watching AFL 360

This umpiring contention is ridiculous… turning the game into a circus!

If you want the umpires to be respected - bring in a ridiculous rule - that makes sense… to make them even more hated

That’s what happens when a tosser like Brad Scott is running the show - he’s not even the best Scott!
No, but he is a tosser. You are spot on there.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

There are some terrible rules atm.

Dissent (arms out)
Stand rule
Below the knees
Dangerous tackle

The AFL are making it very difficult.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

My love for the Saints will never diminish no matter how bad or how good we get , yeah I will bitch & moan at times but it's unconditional but the love of AFL the game I have cherished since I was old enough to hold a football has fallen so far in such a short time I don't think I can hold the game in the same regard anymore . Don't get me wrong I 100% support umpires for verbal or physical abuse & should not be tolerated but questioning a decision in the heat of the moment with a showing of frustration is nothing short of f---ing ruining the game . Anzac Day next week & AFL fly the flag "in spirit of the Anzacs" & we deliver this f--cking crap . I'm sure there are a few diggers turning in their graves tonight

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 9:20pm BTW

Bontempelli is sucking the umpires off, while Jack Reiwoldt is telling it how it is

Funny that
WB are the most looked after team in the comp statistically and the tigers the most penalised!
That can't be correct!

Aren't we the club the umpires are most biased toward?
Isn't there conspiracy?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Steele been throwing the arms out over the last few weeks and lucky not to get pinged so far. Let’s just hope that he doesn’t get done when the game is on the line.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

No one wants to be seen as a protected specie & no one enjoys being one. The AFL need to be smart enough to make the rules B&W. Grey areas, interpretation, mind reading is not working. It won't work with one umpire, let alone three central figures on the one field.

The AFL want umpires to read minds.

The AFL want players to not show emotion.

As a supporter, I want clear rules that will be interpreted the same way next week as they were last week.

I want players penalised for incorrect disposal - if the player has had the ball and it ends up loose and there was no kick or handball, the disposal was incorrect.

I want players who encroach OVER the mark to be penalised - lateral & backward movements are fine.

I want the ball turned over to the side who didn't touch it last - no more mind reading.

I want players who slide into others feet first (aka studs up) to be penalised & reported. Getting in low, first with hands for the ball should not be penalised.

Sling tackles & slamming a player's head into the ground if one or both arms are pinned should be outlawed.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The game is quickly turning into a farce - if the keep going, supporters will lose interest

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 10:52pm
I want players penalised for incorrect disposal - if the player has had the ball and it ends up loose and there was no kick or handball, the disposal was incorrect.

That was the rule until a few years ago when "prior opportunity" came in. In other words, it added an extra layer of consideration and uncertainty.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 10:52pm No one wants to be seen as a protected specie & no one enjoys being one. The AFL need to be smart enough to make the rules B&W. Grey areas, interpretation, mind reading is not working. It won't work with one umpire, let alone three central figures on the one field.

The AFL want umpires to read minds.

The AFL want players to not show emotion.

As a supporter, I want clear rules that will be interpreted the same way next week as they were last week.

I want players who encroach OVER the mark to be penalised - lateral & backward movements are fine.

I want the ball turned over to the side who didn't touch it last - no more mind reading.

I want players who slide into others feet first (aka studs up) to be penalised & reported. Getting in low, first with hands for the ball should not be penalised.

Sling tackles & slamming a player's head into the ground if one or both arms are pinned should be outlawed.
Well said. Too many grey areas make it an impossible game to adjudicate well. Simple rules and consistency is the best outcome you could hope for.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Coaches, players & fitness staff have improved their ability to pressure & exploit while AFL Administration has flailed around trying to keep up.

I think that's why Hocking & Gillon are/have got out. Not able to match what clubs are doing, not able to present an even comp.

The use of rule changes as a blunt instrument to shape the game is self defeating but AFL Commission won't accept. Just enforce what was there!

At least Anderson who designed the MRO/Tribunal system has gone but he too left a mess.

AFL Operations Manager has too much discretion with incentive to keep making changes to have a kind of legacy. Not all change is good and AFL Ops Managers will never out guess the coaches but might be in a death spiral trying.

Hope new CEO focuses on core issues rather than constant change.

As Eddy Betts asks, why do Australians love footy ? Well not because of soft as 50m penalties. I thought in times past an abused ump just told captains their team isn't getting any 50/50 calls for a while.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The lack of respect general AFL crowds show players & umpires is disgraceful and needs to change!

Go and look at any other form of sport excluding soccer, they all respect the umpires/referees decisions. Its going to take a cultural shift, but I believe the AFL are correct in leading this change.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 12:03am The lack of respect general AFL crowds show players & umpires is disgraceful and needs to change!

Go and look at any other form of sport excluding soccer, they all respect the umpires/referees decisions. Its going to take a cultural shift, but I believe the AFL are correct in leading this change.
The problem is the umpires in local ranks at times barely know the rules. It makes the game a s*** show with 50 meter penalties being dished out at will on top of it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Everyone knows the rules. The interpretation is the problem.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 2:45pm Everyone knows the rules. The interpretation is the problem.
Nah they don't.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 2:53pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 2:45pm Everyone knows the rules. The interpretation is the problem.
Nah they don't.
Oh the irony

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 5:37pm
Nah they don't.
Oh the irony
I know them and it's not that hard.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 5:40pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 5:37pm
Nah they don't.
Oh the irony
I know them and it's not that hard.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Freebird
Club Player

Hey Dud, what is the rule for coming from behind to stand the mark. I noticed some are allowed but others are penalised 50 meters even though they have come from less distance behind than those that have been allowed.....this is another rule that needs clarity

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 6:30pm Hey Dud, what is the rule for coming from behind to stand the mark. I noticed some are allowed but others are penalised 50 meters even though they have come from less distance behind than those that have been allowed.....this is another rule that needs clarity
See stuff like this annoys me

I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir but why on earth would this example be a thing.
It doesn’t impact the play in anyway, shape or form. 50m penalties for garbage like this that results in goals and shifts momentum is why this game is borderline unwatchable at times.

No one wants to see that … no one wants to lose because of that.
If we play this incredible seesawing game against GWS that sees us win because of a 50m penalty for this reason gifts us the winning goal… I walk out a bit disappointing in how the game ended.

This is the type of garbage I’d like to see eradicated from the game

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think some people get a kick out of blaming the umpires and they like conspiracy theories that’s okay if that’s what Rocks their boat …it helps them during times of defeat and rather than blame the side itself find a scapegoat
Personally I reckon it’s a distraction from the real issues

Go through the forums you’ll find that most supporters do the same sort of thing which makes me chuckle I just find it easier these days to enjoy the game and Focus on the things that the club has the power to control

Hope this explains why I’m a bit hard on curly.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 11:19pm The game is quickly turning into a farce - if the keep going, supporters will lose interest
B.M I agree with you. This arms out rule is a farce. What happens if a player raises his arms to scratch his head and gets pinged. And as for that grub Cotchin getting away for kicking, for the life of me how can that decision be justified.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Freebird
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Wed 20 Apr 2022 6:58pm I think some people get a kick out of blaming the umpires and they like conspiracy theories that’s okay if that’s what Rocks their boat …it helps them during times of defeat and rather than blame the side itself find a scapegoat
Personally I reckon it’s a distraction from the real issues

Go through the forums you’ll find that most supporters do the same sort of thing which makes me chuckle I just find it easier these days to enjoy the game and Focus on the things that the club has the power to control

Hope this explains why I’m a bit hard on curly.
What a dick...has nothing to do with conspiracy theories / st kilda. I rarely watch st kilda live as it frustrates me and my heart cant take it at my age. I do watch other games and have found the stand rule and coming from behind the mark hard to umpire. I asked Dud because he is our local ump resident.

Some here just can't help giving it a little tug.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm I’m a dick. Ok

Anyway that’s the way I see it I certainly wasn’t singling you out
If you can’t see the conspiracy theory connotations going around here then that’s up to you mate
A dick lol. Called a s*** load of things. I like it 👍