Russell Jeffrey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Russell Jeffrey

Russell had two stints with the Saints, 1987-88 and 1990-91 and played a total of 42 games and kicked three goals. Well he was a backman. He also played 8 games for Brisbane in 1992.

His son Joel is starting to set the world on fire.

I remember Russell telling the then coach that the Saints needed to recruit more "black magic".

Pity it has taken the club 30 odd years to wise up.

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Russell Jeffrey

OR perhaps just recruit players with a skill set we require whether they be white, black, yellow, pink or purple.

While many indigenous players do have amazing talent not sure race in any way should be a requirement to recruit or not recruit.

We all recall the great ones - Winmar, McAdam, Narkle, Muir and the good players - Clarke brothers, Jones, Jeffrey but there have been flops also - Greg McAdam, Campbell, Milera, Charles, Winmar(not Neil Elvis), Murray, Lovett
All recruitment some hits some misses.
What is great is the club has in place now a great system to help young players integrate into the AFL system and use experiences of those that came before them

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:59am OR perhaps just recruit players with a skill set we require whether they be white, black, yellow, pink or purple.

While many indigenous players do have amazing talent not sure race in any way should be a requirement to recruit or not recruit.

We all recall the great ones - Winmar, McAdam, Narkle, Muir and the good players - Clarke brothers, Jones, Jeffrey but there have been flops also - Greg McAdam, Campbell, Milera, Charles, Winmar(not Neil Elvis), Murray, Lovett
What is great is the club has in place now a great system to help young players integrate into the AFL system and use experiences of those that came before them
You have wonder how those 'flops' would have gone if they had a supportive and non discriminatory environment the current players mostly enjoy? Even the sucess stories did it really tough back in the day!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Krakouer played a few good games as well. Teamed up well with Plugger.

There was also Gavin Mitchell and Dale Kickett.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 2:09pm Jimmy Krakouer played a few good games as well. Teamed up well with Plugger.

Greg McAdam wasn't a flop. he played 10 games for 13 goals in 1985 before injuries ended his career.

Same with Bob Jones, a ruckman recruited by the doc in 1988. He played 20 games, but in the first few minutes of round 1 in 1989, he badly injured his knee. His son played for the brown baggers.

Lovett never played for St Kilda.

older saint
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 2:30pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 2:09pm Jimmy Krakouer played a few good games as well. Teamed up well with Plugger.

Greg McAdam wasn't a flop. he played 10 games for 13 goals in 1985 before injuries ended his career.

Same with Bob Jones, a ruckman recruited by the doc in 1988. He played 20 games, but in the first few minutes of round 1 in 1989, he badly injured his knee. His son played for the brown baggers.

Lovett never played for St Kilda.
Agree with Jones was a fan - hence my term good player - Remember the game MCG v Hawthorn when Dermie smashed Spud - he played on Dunstall and did a pretty good job.
Lovett never played but was recruited as per original post about recruiting

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 1:12pm
older saint wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:59am OR perhaps just recruit players with a skill set we require whether they be white, black, yellow, pink or purple.

You have wonder how those 'flops' would have gone if they had a supportive and non discriminatory environment the current players mostly enjoy? Even the sucess stories did it really tough back in the day!
Can you give some examples of a player/players who were effected by a "discriminatory environment"

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 6:40pm

Can you give some examples of a player/players who were effected by a "discriminatory environment"
If you have to ask, you won't listen...

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

mightysainters wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 11:13pm

If you have to ask, you won't listen...
So your going to slur the history of a club you say you support with no facts or examples it ever happened and you say I'm not listening so I will make it really easy for you all you have too give me is one example in the last 149 yrs that the St Kilda Football Club has discriminated against a player because of the colour of their skin
Last edited by Sebastian Tombs on Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:23am, edited 2 times in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Who let the wanker in ?[

Poster suspended for 24 hours for abuse

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Russell was a great player BTW

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:07am Who let the wanker in ?
So I'm a wanker because I ask posters to back up what they say with facts .... godforbid

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:16am
So I'm a wanker because I ask posters to back up what they say with facts .... godforbid
Ya just coming on fairly hot brother. If posters on this site had to back up everything that was posted then nothing would get posted.

Relax and save your worry for the things that matter in life would be my advice.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:21am
Ya just coming on fairly hot brother. If posters on this site had to back up everything that was posted then nothing would get posted.

Relax and save your worry for the things that matter in life would be my advice.
Well "brother" you did call me a wanker so f*** u but you know what I does matter to me is the history of this club and what I don't like is posters who make s*** up to push an agenda and again People who read posts on here would think our history is fill of sexism and racism all the ism's you can think of . Our history is one of lack of success and that's about all and you know what the only flag you can wave to solve that is a premiership flag

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:09am Russell was a great player BTW
Yes, he was.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:50am

Well "brother" you did call me a wanker so f*** u but you know what I does matter to me is the history of this club and what I don't like is posters who make s*** up to push an agenda and again People who read posts on here would think our history is fill of sexism and racism all the ism's you can think of . Our history is one of lack of success and that's about all and you know what the only flag you can wave to solve that is a premiership flag
You're welcome brother. It sounds like you are a heart attack waiting to happen if you are going to go to war with your own agenda on a social media website where the posters are anonymous. I wish you well in your pursuit to ensure history is recounted correctly.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If you think the AFL/VFL is not or has not been a discriminatory environment, you missed the 'Nicky Winmar, lifting his guernsey and unveiling an icon thing.'

If you didn't miss it and if you don't mind me asking, seeing you are a guardian of our clubs history, why do you think Nicky made such a public statement. One that would be hard to ignore.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

this is what was posted "You have wonder how those 'flops' would have gone if they had a supportive and non discriminatory environment the current players mostly enjoy? Even the sucess stories did it really tough back in the day!"

And I stand by what I asked can you give a example of this happening at the St Kilda Football club I would of thought a pretty simple request but all I have had so far is personal attacks

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 12:38pm
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 11:50am

You're welcome brother. It sounds like you are a heart attack waiting to happen if you are going to go to war with your own agenda on a social media website where the posters are anonymous. I wish you well in your pursuit to ensure history is recounted correctly.
I guess when you can hide behind a key board and the only response to a question is call the person who ask said question a wanker. I see your in the HOF on here gee thats my dream too get there I guess I will have to work on those vugular witty one liners

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

And CQS gives him an out even.

Someone grab the boy a shovel

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 3:18pm And CQS gives him an out even.

Again your first response was a personal attack , you really cant make this stuff up maybe brother you really come up with something new

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did Robert Muir recently take issue with the club about a lack of support? Vaguely recall the Club contacting him not so long ago to see what might be done to support him now and acknowledge he had a tough time. Can remember being upset about how distressed he said he was during playing days but may not have the circumstances straight.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 1:02pm

If you think the AFL/VFL is not or has not been a discriminatory environment, you missed the 'Nicky Winmar, lifting his guernsey and unveiling an icon thing.'

If you didn't miss it and if you don't mind me asking, seeing you are a guardian of our clubs history, why do you think Nicky made such a public statement. One that would be hard to ignore.
You brought up Victoria Park '93 was it disgusting? yes , Are Collingwood fans filth YES are we happy that we rarely see it now days of course , but was it "discriminatory" no it wasnt

discriminatory
/dɪˈskrɪmɪnɪˌt(ə)ri,dɪˌskrɪmɪˈneɪt(ə)ri/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: discriminatory

making or showing an unfair or prejudicial distinction between different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
"discriminatory employment practices"

I think you will find opposition players and fans have been treated like that for over 100yrs of going to that s*** hole of ground , dare I bring up history but go and read up on how Neil Roberts was treated during his playing days going to that ground

So if your going to use the term discriminatory , least learn what it means
Last edited by Sebastian Tombs on Wed 01 Jun 2022 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 3:44pm Did Robert Muir recently take issue with the club about a lack of support? Vaguely recall the Club contacting him not so long ago to see what might be done to support him now and acknowledge he had a tough time. Can remember being upset about how distressed he said he was during playing days but may not have the circumstances straight.
I think you will find that was more the Players Association not giving him money for a operation , but sadly there's 100s of ex playes who fall on hard times. Not just first nation ones who get left behind just ask Rod Owen

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 3:42pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 3:18pm And CQS gives him an out even.

Again your first response was a personal attack , you really cant make this stuff up maybe brother you really come up with something new
I'm not the one making a goose of myself, clearly you lack self perceptive skills and don't realise you are attacking yourself. Sometimes it's better just to sit back and say nothing.