Stan Alves: Connection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Stan Alves: Connection

Stan spoke at the club last week and there was a video of the meeting for Saints Pass Members

He firstly told a story about how Ken Sheldon helped him to get a job at St Kilda which eventually led to the coaching gig

I was just wondering what the players got from that? How do they think they are connected with each member of the playing list

Do they really know and care for some of the guys that they don't consider their close mates? How can you expect success if you don't really have genuine strong connection

Stan also talked about how important relationships are and how the bonds he has through footy helped Stan and his family to get his personal life back in order and basically save him from severe depression

Did any of our boys go away together during the mid season break? I think when the boys were in Noosa they bonded as a group. Ratts was also seeing everyone daily and they had strict rules so they had more structure than they have here in Melbourne. It was one of the reasons they played so well imo

One of the things I saw from another video with Sincs and Banger was the end of season trip photos.

How do players think they are connected with each member of the leadership group? What do they do outside work together... if anything?

Are our leaders doing enough to actually bring this moneyball team of imports, young draftees, recycled delisted free agents and senior players together???

Words are cheap. Saying you care for people and saying you respect the Frawley name and you respect what Spud meant to St Kilda is easy...doing something about it and honouring the footy club and our past players is what we (the fans) want to see

St Lenny
Club Player

Re: Stan Alves: Connection

Good read. I think you are right. Teams need good connection. We know Roo use to take a group to Tassie every year and I think Long does one up North. I think our group has a good connection. You only had to watch that video in Saints Pass for the indigenous round with Long. It was great to see. The question os, does Ratts have the, what ever it takes to win a premiership. I don't see that he has. So its a fine line, to break that connection and start again. Or stick with what you have. Leadership is a great concern to me. I just don't see it.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stan Alves: Connection

Saw Stan after a win in WA and he was such an impressive old school gentleman. Full of infectious enthusiasm. Read his book as well and was impressed with that as well.

Another that came within a poofteenth of leading us to a premiership only to have the fickle middle finger of fate raised at him.