What is a "Clutch" Goal ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

What is a "Clutch" Goal ?

I keep reading on the forums Sharman should be in our best 22 because he bobs up for a "clutch" goal and whilst I know this claim might have grown legs just because of how the internet works, it piqued my curiosity so I Googled the question, "what is a clutch goal", this is what I found:

" Clutch performance in sports is the phenomenon of athletes under pressure or "in the clutch",[1] usually in the last minute of a game, to summon strength, concentration and whatever else necessary to succeed, to perform well, and perhaps change the outcome of the game. It occurs in basketball, hockey, football, esports, and other sports but the phrase is most common in baseball (e.g. clutch hitter). The opposite is "choking": failing to perform as needed, especially when not under pressure or favoured to win. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(sports)

The claim Sharman bobs up for a "clutch" goal is being repeated in a way that suggests it happens with frequent regularity like it is the most reliable club in the bag.

He's played 7 game total and only 3 this year however I can't think of a "clutch" goal he's kicked using the Google definition, someone help me out, what "clutch" goals has Sharman kicked?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: What is a "Clutch" Goal ?

YAWN

“Yeah….nah””
Trixilver
Club Player

For us it's successfully kicking a set shot when it's needed. Unfortunately the rest of our team can't seem to consistently do this.

Has Sharman missed a set shot is the better question.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What is prejudice?

Give the lad a break.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 9:38am For us it's successfully kicking a set shot when it's needed. Unfortunately the rest of our team can't seem to consistently do this.

Has Sharman missed a set shot is the better question.
3 marks and 3 goals in 22.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

A clutch goal would be something like Troy Schwarze’s effort in 2004.

Sharman has kicked 3 goals in 3 games, none of them match-deciding.

He’s vastly overrated on SS: not least because he supposedly helps King get more space. I can’t see that myself: he seems to me to be the sort of player who runs into space hoping someone will kick it to him. He’s not that quick, doesn’t have exceptiand not that good in a contest, so opponents can hang off him in the expectation of being able to double-team or triple-team Max.

What really helps a talk forward like Max get more space is

1) quick, accurate and deep delivery into the forward 50 (which once again wasn’t much on offer on Saturday night: even NWM was off target and perhaps the best inside 50 pass was from Marshall to Ryder, and that was possibly a miskick).

2) other forwards who present a danger in a pack contest, which can put defenders in two minds.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 5:55pm A clutch goal would be something like Troy Schwarze’s effort in 2004.

He’s vastly overrated on SS: not least because he supposedly helps King get more space. I can’t see that myself: he seems to me to be the sort of player who runs into space hoping someone will kick it to him. He’s not that quick, doesn’t have exceptiand not that good in a contest, so opponents can hang off him in the expectation of being able to double-team or triple-team Max.

1) quick, accurate and deep delivery into the forward 50 (which once again wasn’t much on offer on Saturday night: even NWM was off target and perhaps the best inside 50 pass was from Marshall to Ryder, and that was possibly a miskick).

2) other forwards who present a danger in a pack contest, which can put defenders in two minds.
The worst thing that has happened to Sharman's career was getting on the end of some cheap goals in his first few games at a time when supporters didn't have much to celebrate. It over cooked expectation.

7 touches in a game of VFL isn't good, even if you do kick a few goals.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

“Clutch” is yet another American sports expression to invade our lexicon :roll:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Isn’t it just an important goal?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 5:55pm A clutch goal would be something like Troy Schwarze’s effort in 2004.

Why does it have to be match deciding? Why can’t it be an important goal in the context of a game ? (One that swings momentum for example)
Lenny Hayes kicked one in 2010 GF - didn’t win the game but had a massive say in lifting his team at an important time?
How bizarre to apportion such a narrow, short sighted definition to what is universally understood as an important goal.
Odd

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 6:44pm

The worst thing that has happened to Sharman's career was getting on the end of some cheap goals in his first few games at a time when supporters didn't have much to celebrate. It over cooked expectation.

As opposed to Higgins 6 touches on the weekend?

I’ll take Sharmans 4 goals last week plus his 3 this week and the coach write below over the opinion of a SS keyboard nuff nuff:

Cooper Sharman continued his goalkicking form with three goals and constantly presented as a marking target up forward for Sandringham.

Last week?

Cooper played well, he booted four majors which was pleasing, but it was more his ability to chase and pressure that was the standout for him. We had a couple of turnovers purely based off his pressure.

This is a “clutch” post btw if you’re looking for a good example to help enlighten you :wink:
Last edited by Teflon on Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:45pm

Why does it have to be match deciding? Why can’t it be an important goal in the context of a game ? (One that swings momentum for example)
Lenny Hayes kicked one in 2010 GF - didn’t win the game but had a massive say in lifting his team at an important time?
How bizarre to apportion such a narrow, short sighted definition to what is universally understood as an important goal.
Odd
I don't care: AFAIC you can refer to Sharman's goals by whatever terms you want. Personally, I reckon the word "single" is probably the most apt descriptor.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:58pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:45pm

Odd
I don't care: AFAIC you can refer to Sharman's goals by whatever terms you want. Personally, I reckon the word "single" is probably the most apt descriptor.
How u liking Butlers goal scoring prowess then?? U prefer we stay on that trajectory??
Do tell us oh clutch one
Personally I like the fact Sharman can at least present at the ball carrier and take some heat of King and who knows even get Membrey in the game abd out of his slump but you saw all that too…

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:56pm

I’ll take Sharmans 4 goals last week plus his 3 this week and the coach write below over the opinion of a SS keyboard nuff nuff:

Cooper Sharman continued his goalkicking form with three goals and constantly presented as a marking target up forward for Sandringham.

Last week?

Cooper played well, he booted four majors which was pleasing, but it was more his ability to chase and pressure that was the standout for him. We had a couple of turnovers purely based off his pressure.

This is a “clutch” post btw if you’re looking for a good example to help enlighten you :wink:
Uncontested marks and Goal kicking are his strengths for sure, I'm pretty good down at the local park also.

Running, chasing, tackling I'm not so good at but I think I have Coops covered at the moment.

That's what the VFL is good for, it's good for practising the basic stuff and after only 7 touches and not much chasing and tackling I'd say he's a snow flakes chance of getting selected any time soon while one of our forward lines biggest issue is locking it in F50.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:08pm

Last week?

Uncontested marks and Goal kicking are his strengths for sure, I'm pretty good down at the local park also.

Running, chasing, tackling I'm not so good at but I think I have Coops covered at the moment.

That's what the VFL is good for, it's good for practising the basic stuff and after only 7 touches and not much chasing and tackling I'd say he's a snow flakes chance of getting selected any time soon while one of our forward lines biggest issue is locking it in F50.
Yes you’d be good down at the park on your own I’m sure
We’ll see on his inclusion but one thing is for sure…it appears clubs happy with his recent tackling and chasing but maybe they just haven’t spoken to you yet??

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:12pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:08pm

Last week?

Yes you’d be good down at the park on your own I’m sure
We’ll see on his inclusion but one thing is for sure…it appears clubs happy with his recent tackling and chasing but maybe they just haven’t spoken to you yet??
Can you post the bit about how the coach is happy with his chasing and tackling on the weekend in the VFL. Kicking goals at VFL level is easy, just ask Buttler.

7 touches.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s in there just read

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Butler had 20 and kicked 5 in the VFL

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:31pm It’s in there just read
Nup. Batchelor hasn't even released his weekly assessment?

Sharman didn't even get in the list of best players by the media. I'll be extremely surprised if 7 touches gets you an AFL game.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:39pm Isn’t it just an important goal?
Yes, a pivotal moment towards a team’s win is often referred to as “clutch” in American sports.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

a clutch goal was when lenny kicked that 50mtr bomb in 2010 GF.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:35pm “Clutch” is yet another American sports expression to invade our lexicon :roll:
Don’t they all drive automatics?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Let's just clear something up here.

Nobody is saying Sharman ia Wayne Carey or whatever.

Just that given the set up currently, he might be useful, or better than the other option, King plus out of form smalls.

So let's leave out the cheap shots and get real.

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Making up these scandal threads as if you are surprised! ppffff..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:37pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:31pm It’s in there just read
Nup. Batchelor hasn't even released his weekly assessment?

Sharman didn't even get in the list of best players by the media. I'll be extremely surprised if 7 touches gets you an AFL game.
Batchelor didn’t praise Sharman last week when he kicked 4 fir his chasing and pressure work?
Might pay to have another read….

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Why read or believe something that doesn't suit your agenda

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!