Illogical to sack the coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Illogical to sack the coach

I am not surprised to see 100s of sack Ratten posts this morning after last night.
Why not ;
- Ratten i saw may times bomb it in to the forward line
- The number of times not under pressure Ratten kicked it straight to the opposition was appalling
- Ratten's inability or choice not to run hard defensively through the middle of the ground was glaring.
- and the amount of missed tackles Oh my goodness.

at 8-3 most , not all, but most were happy with what we were doing and how the team was playing, yet 3 losses ( 2 very poor, 1 unfortunate) means that fundamentally things must have changed in the coaches box . like most supporters think - players win games coaches lose them.

Well how about we look at some of these players and what they do and dont do and how much responsibility they should be taking:

Clark - great with the ball, terrible without why?
Jones - why does he feel he can try to do things which only a small percentage in the league can do
Howard - Very good defensive player but you are not Stewart from Geelong, you cannot baulk and run around people - help the guys up the ground by taking the first option
Billings - better this week but still occasionally picks and chooses the contests he attacks.
Long - your foot skills haven't improved in 4 seasons. need to be able to do more than tackle and bump
Higgins/ Butler - why do you pick and choose when your defensive pressure is there and when it isn't

Effort wise most weeks you know what you get from : Steele, Crouch, Ross, battle, Wilkie, Membrey, Sinclair. Not always performance as human but always effort.

Wood , McKenzie have realised without 100% effort 100% of the time they aren't good enough.
Many others are under 50 games and working out what the caper is about or building tanks - King, Brynes, NWM , Windy, Paton,

But dont worry about any of that its the coach obviously. Of course his game plan they practice for months is to bomb it to king in a 1 on 3 scenario.

Hopefully the board dont listen to us arm chair experts on keyboards like others of the past have done. The historical Stkilda thing would be to sack the coach - how has that worked for us in over 100 years?

Sure this will get lambasted which is fine but lets see if it possible to keep it to facts and not personal attacks - which seems to be the way of many when someone has a different opinion.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Illogical to sack the coach

When a couple of players are off the boil, then you bring in others, but when a team as a unit has failed miserably against a rubbish team, and then capitulated to a team not performing that well, then there's a bigger picture issue that involves a coach.

older saint
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 11:22am When a couple of players are off the boil, then you bring in others, but when a team as a unit has failed miserably against a rubbish team, and then capitulated to a team not performing that well, then there's a bigger picture issue that involves a coach.
Sydney beat Melbourne 2 weeks ago and had a bad second half against Port where the ruckman lost the plot. Wouldn't say they are not performing well.

Crossy66
Club Player

I wouldn't sack the coach, but I would park a contract signing ATM. We have been very average for a while, but the last two weeks have been something else. I don't mind losing , but the way we lost last night says there is something wrong team wide. Stationary, no run, no system, broken tackles, poor skills, minimal pressure.
Ratts should be given the remaining rounds to turn it around.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Why is it that we're forced to bomb long?
Why last night we won hit outs 45-22 but only +3 on clearances?
Why 44 inside 50s for 4 goals?
Why have a game style where we kick to Ross, Crouch, Paton or Sinclair on a back flank who don't have a run past, don't play on and are forced to down the line or backwards?
Why is our clearance strategy to win in the middle and then immediately hack kick forward? To who? Got no idea.
Why can't we play fast flowing footy like Cats, Dees, Tigers and
........can't bring myself to say this... Blues?
I've another dozen why's, even at 8-3 and eeking out wins playing 15 minutes of footy. Luck is not sustainable.
Answers to all the above, ask Ratts. It's his job. Pretty sure he has no answer and no idea.
No one should be lambasted on this forum. That's why I'm here. Read opinions and politely counter if you disagree. On Ratts I strongly disagree.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Circuitous. It's players not coach?Coach picks players, motivates & places them. Fail. Coach finds performances inexplicable. Now what. Repeat or consider hiring someone that can explain and identify a fix. That seems a reasonable start?

However if Ratts actually does have a solution but won't tell until he is extended, that's a cunning plan.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 11:45am Circuitous. It's players not coach?Coach picks players, motivates & places them. Fail. Coach finds performances inexplicable. Now what. Repeat or consider hiring someone that can explain and identify a fix. That seems a reasonable start?

However if Ratts actually does have a solution but won't tell until he is extended, that's a cunning plan.
We all know Ratten aint that smart - but it was good for giggle.

A number of posters on BF are suggesting Ratten has already had his contract extension signed - the club are just waiting for a couple of wins to announce it. The way things are looking they might be waiting for a while?

On a more positive note they are also saying a number of OOC players have also signed contract extensions.

darylcowie
Club Player

This year is getting a whiff of 2017 about it.
The coach overachieved in the first half of rhe season, so we rush into reappointment discussions with him.
No sooner does this mentality develop, then the senior players go on auto pilot and think they have been doing enough.
Mediocrity soon spreads throughout the playing group.
No sooner does

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
older saint
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 11:42am Why is it that we're forced to bomb long?
Why have a game style where we kick to Ross, Crouch, Paton or Sinclair on a back flank who don't have a run past, don't play on and are forced to down the line or backwards?
Why is our clearance strategy to win in the middle and then immediately hack kick forward? To who? Got no idea.
I've another dozen why's, even at 8-3 and eeking out wins playing 15 minutes of footy. Luck is not sustainable.
Answers to all the above, ask Ratts. It's his job. Pretty sure he has no answer and no idea.
No one should be lambasted on this forum. That's why I'm here. Read opinions and politely counter if you disagree. On Ratts I strongly disagree.
Excellent - agree to disagree on some of this. not saying Ratten is blameless but also shouldn't be sacked because we have players that lack skills/effort/work ethic to be top level .
Our midfield apart from Steele isn't elite disposal. Walsh, Martin, Petracca, Danger, all elite ball users in the middle, We have good ball gatherers but many like Ross, Crouch, Jones lack Silk. That's where i would like to see Gresh in there more often and Clark work harder to demand a spot.
As Allan Jeans once said you cant polish a turd

spert
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 1:28pm
SaintDippa wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 11:42am Why is it that we're forced to bomb long?
Excellent - agree to disagree on some of this. not saying Ratten is blameless but also shouldn't be sacked because we have players that lack skills/effort/work ethic to be top level .
Our midfield apart from Steele isn't elite disposal. Walsh, Martin, Petracca, Danger, all elite ball users in the middle, We have good ball gatherers but many like Ross, Crouch, Jones lack Silk. That's where i would like to see Gresh in there more often and Clark work harder to demand a spot.
As Allan Jeans once said you cant polish a turd
I think Steele is one of our bombing midfielders who need to keep their eyes down when kicking- nobody should escape scrutiny, including the captain.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Ratts isn’t necessary a bad coach. But at present, the players are poorly coached.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

If it's true Ratten's extension has already been inked then we are truly led by imbeciles.

Can you imagine if we lose nearly all of our coming games and then they hold a presser to make the thrilling announcement?

Times are tight. I for one will cancel my membership after decades.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 4:31pm If it's true Ratten's extension has already been inked then we are truly led by imbeciles.
Where did you hear this? Sounds like unadulterated BS to me! If Ratten had put pen to paper, they would have announced it.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 4:56pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 4:31pm If it's true Ratten's extension has already been inked then we are truly led by imbeciles.
Where did you hear this? Sounds like unadulterated BS to me! If Ratten had put pen to paper, they would have announced it.
It's in Impatient Sainter's post above.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Yeah no need to sack him, just DON’T renew his contract

happy feet
Club Player

If you sack the coach, you need to find a replacement who is better. Might not be so easy!

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 5:06pm
Ah, yes, it was on BF, therefore it has to be legit lol

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 5:48pm
Ah, yes, it was on BF, therefore it has to be legit lol
Well, the way Bassat was talking about Ratts a couple of weeks ago -- "absolutely see him as a long-term coach" -- I not only see it as possible but likely.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Can you imagine if we lose nearly all of our coming games and then they hold a presser to make the thrilling announcement?

Times are tight. I for one will cancel my membership after decades.
Rubbish thread but great post
It’s absolutely incompetence if this Board has signed him
I suspect they have and are now utterly backed into a corner having leaked to the media
Amateur hour joint run by muppets if so
Why would you not at a MINIMUM test the market??????
Why would you not wait till late in the year to see how Rattens approach stacks up against the better sides???
Serious questions need to asked and answered and if they have re-signed him already I do not blame members deciding if they want to continue to put their hard earned into a club run by morons

“Yeah….nah””
The Recruit
Club Player

Can anyone confirm that Ratten has re sighed..if so
Wow!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

A Big Footy story so it must be factual. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Club were quick to come out tonight and say again he’s safe….
How could you honestly do that if you haven’t locked him in?????
It’s a done deal we’ve been Richo’d 2.0 all over again
While not even talking to a Clarkson????
How???

“Yeah….nah””
Gershwin
Club Player

The pass mark for Ratten is 8th on the ladder. The fat lady hasn’t sung yet.

summertime and the living is easy ........
nobhead
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 9:37pm The pass mark for Ratten is 8th on the ladder. The fat lady hasn’t sung yet.
Based on what we have seen lately 8th is a pipe dream .

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

By the way, Ernie Merrick and that bloke named Rath that seems an ever lurking presence game days. What are they up to, keeping their heads down?
Not actively involved in anything to do with team/coach performance?

Nice work if you can get it.