Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

Jack Billings has now been at the club for almost a decade. He promised a fair bit at first, but has delivered precious little.

He just doesn’t seem to fit in anywhere.

Why did we give him another 4 years after last year? I’m still confounded by that decision.

He has done precious little since coming back from injury. Now he’s re-injured himself.

Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat…

But oh yeah, there’s still a chance he’ll come good.

As Barks4eva used to say on here: FAIR DINKUM!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

As I have said more times than I care to remember I think JB is a handy player but will never reach the potential most Saints fans would have hoped for . Injury seems to be on on going issue & just doesn't impact games . 10 years in the system & hasn't improved after a promising start to career. Will probably see out his ALF career at the Saint as I doubt too many teams will be interested in an injury prone handy HFF

freely
SS Hall of Fame

He would've gone all right at a different club. We needed a champion and at his best he was only ever cream on the cake.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Despite his lauded consistency (as preached by one forumite earlier in the year)… Billings fits into a category of players I call:

The Should Be’s

Billings should be a HFF that consistently gets around 15-20 touches a game, kicks a goal, sets one or two up and directly wins us a few games a year.

Be it injury, poor form, being tagged etc, he’s never been near it.

A few years back, Teflon (I think) suggested we should trade him while we can. I didn’t agree thinking that his value to us was worth more than anything we could get for him.

I concede the argument.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Gresham and Billings are great trade bait ..both have overvalued hype ..sell sell sell.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 8:27pm Gresham and Billings are great trade bait ..both have overvalued hype ..sell sell sell.
We will get next to nothing for them . In current form & injury status I doubt we would get a 3 rounder for either hence might as well keep them

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I got a weird feeling last week, hoping Long would come on. Billings is by far the broader bigger, talent (not withstanding Longy's good points), but I just felt, that's it for Billings. I think he'll retire or go the way of a Luke Ball.

Could be with Bruce next year - if Bruce still gets a game.

When his hammy went early season, I thought, 'here we go'...this has a smell about it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Yes

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Poor guy. He's had debilitating injuries two years in a row. Hard to find fitness and form with that happening.
Has really good talent. Played in very ordinary Saints sides for a lot of his time. Tainted by poor set shot record.
Not right to put the boot in now he has a crook back. Supporters are supposed to support. Particularly when Jack is going through a tough time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

One of the best kicks in the AFL let alone the team. Used poorly and ignored by players that shouldn’t kick the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I can’t see it

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 8:57pm Poor guy. He's had debilitating injuries two years in a row. Hard to find fitness and form with that happening.
Has really good talent. Played in very ordinary Saints sides for a lot of his time. Tainted by poor set shot record.
Not right to put the boot in now he has a crook back. Supporters are supposed to support. Particularly when Jack is going through a tough time.
Who is putting the boots in ? Injury form or whatever surely supporters are entitled to comment IMO anyway

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I would put both Billings and Gresham up for trade and hope pick up a couple of genuine midfielders with the trade ins.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 9:04pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 8:57pm Poor guy. He's had debilitating injuries two years in a row. Hard to find fitness and form with that happening.
Who is putting the boots in ? Injury form or whatever surely supporters are entitled to comment IMO anyway
Fair enough, read too much into the implication of thread title.
On reflection can see how JB would read the thread and feel the love.

Laurie
Club Player

Agree about time we moved Billings on has been there 8years now and cannot seeing improving anytime soon .
Promised so much never really lived to expectations.
A good VFL player.
BOOM BOOM

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He will leave as a free agent most likely. Unfortunately, he's had a fair haircut in the contract department, so he will more likely leave us with just his achievements, which unfortunately appear to amount to f*** all.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 9:50pm
bangaulegend wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 9:04pm
Fair enough, read too much into the implication of thread title.
On reflection can see how JB would read the thread and feel the love.
Hahaha I’m guessing all players are instructed to keep well away from supporter forum discussions.

Anyway, I’ve given my support to him every time he suits up for the Saints. I’m never one to turn on the players during a game. I’m simply losing patience with him to deliver in between games, however.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 9:01pm One of the best kicks in the AFL let alone the team. Used poorly and ignored by players that shouldn’t kick the ball.
One of the biggest myth’s perpetrated on here is that he’s a beautiful kick. I just shake my head and think, do some even watch the game?

His kicks aren’t long, they’re often shallow because he often makes connection with the toes of his feet rather than mid to front of foot. He has lost so much confidence in his kicking that he often now holds play up looking for the easy kick. When that doesn’t eventuate he kicks down the line to a pack.

I read an interesting article a few years back on one of the league’s greatest kickers ever, Nathan Buckley and why his kicking efficiency wasn’t a lot higher than the league average. The conclusion was that Bucks was so obsessed at influencing the game, that he would try the difficult kick that would break the game open or hit Rocca on a lead from 50. A kick down the Line is for the Zac Dawsons or Jason Blakes. The Lenny Hayes or Nick Dal would set it up.

Sadly I can’t recall the last time i marvelled at a brilliant Billings kick. I saw a few from NWM earlier in the year but Billings is just……average in almost every way.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Long time defender of JB, but have to admit overall he has been disappointing. Still looks like a 17 year old out there. And his elite kicking isn't elite
Hopefully it is down to injuries and fitness, but next year looms as a make or break

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 9:04pm I would put both Billings and Gresham up for trade and hope pick up a couple of genuine midfielders with the trade ins.
I would keep Gresham for one more year. Billings, I would sell while he still has some value.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t he average 20 per game skeptic?

Trixilver
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 12:54am
CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 9:01pm One of the best kicks in the AFL let alone the team. Used poorly and ignored by players that shouldn’t kick the ball.
One of the biggest myth’s perpetrated on here is that he’s a beautiful kick. I just shake my head and think, do some even watch the game?

His kicks aren’t long, they’re often shallow because he often makes connection with the toes of his feet rather than mid to front of foot. He has lost so much confidence in his kicking that he often now holds play up looking for the easy kick. When that doesn’t eventuate he kicks down the line to a pack.

I read an interesting article a few years back on one of the league’s greatest kickers ever, Nathan Buckley and why his kicking efficiency wasn’t a lot higher than the league average. The conclusion was that Bucks was so obsessed at influencing the game, that he would try the difficult kick that would break the game open or hit Rocca on a lead from 50. A kick down the Line is for the Zac Dawsons or Jason Blakes. The Lenny Hayes or Nick Dal would set it up.

Sadly I can’t recall the last time i marvelled at a brilliant Billings kick. I saw a few from NWM earlier in the year but Billings is just……average in almost every way.
100%. His kicks are often up high too, like a lot in our side. Kicks into the F50 which often overshoot the target or at the very best allow a pack of 4 defenders to crash into King.

He has gotten better at the inside stuff, but like others have said he's rarely fit. I'm sick of the team selection including players who aren't fit and then coming on here are reading excuses about why they're not performing at their best.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I always think it’s a good idea to keep good players - and add to them

I think he is a good player

Not many HFs get it 20 times a game .8 goals

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This year, in terms of disposals he’s had...

And kicked 5 goals. His average may be 19.4

Frankly he’s not been that impressive to me in terms of both experience and output.

Is behind in disposals compared to Jones, Gresh, Hill, Ross and is marginally ahead of Battle, Dmac, Wood, and Wilkie

Frankly... in the context of his potential, I don’t think an objective observer could suggest that he’s come even remotely close to consistently producing his best.

No doubt you will however, as someone that plays favourites, and is completely unwilling to concede that a player like Ross has improved out sight... With complete certainty, will suggest that Billing’s numbers have netted 5 BOG performances and have him on track for the TB medal based on the number of games he’s played.
Never mind that Billings coming into the team has coincided with our slump in form... kid is a gun and is playing monster games off a HFF that must be celebrated whilst hacks like Gresh, Clark and Hill should be expected to do more

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hasn’t he come off no pre season and a long term injury?

Not sure he was ever at peak fitness