Cheerio Matt Finnis - St Kilda CEO since 2014.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Cheerio Matt Finnis - St Kilda CEO since 2014.

Our CEO is due to be replaced by Simon Lethlean at the end of the season, in our case on this Sunday.

In my opinion Matt has been one of the the most unique CEO's in our clubs history, and indeed in the history of the AFL.

The above is my view based on 56 years of following the Saints and the VFL / AFL.

Please feel free to comment on Matt's role and his legacy at the St Kilda Football Club.

Further, what sort of style or performance will Simon Lethlean bring to the position?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cheerio Matt Finnis - St Kilda CEO since 2014.

Under Finnis' management we now have a fantastic training facility at Moorabbim but we still haven't improved much as a football team, and we've carried a large debt that the club is
trying to reduce.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Gets a tick for Moorabbin, and for handling some of the sensitive issues (especially Rod Owen and Robert Muir) but that's it.

The absolute failure to instil a high performance culture is how I'll remember him. Hitched his wagon to two failed coaches; backed in a dreadful recruiting and development team.

Seemed more concerned with theme games (a bewildering obsession) than winning games. We became a vehicle for his chosen causes rather than pursuing what we need, a relentless drive to win at all costs. That really set us back a long way.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Evertonfc

Your last paragraph pretty true

saint4life
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He has done a great job turning the club around off field, the only possible criticisms were the unecessary extensions of two under performing coaches during his tenure.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 17 Aug 2022 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Membership under his tenure has grown from 30,793 (after three straight years of decline) to 57,930.
I don't have an issue with the addressing the social issues that others do.
I'd rather do what we do than have a Manly style situation occur.

I am also confident that if the playing group weren't on board then it wouldn't happen.

His predecessor failed to re-sign Ross Lyon and appointed Scott Watters. I think Finnis has been better than our last three CEO's

older saint
SS Life Member

A CEO's job is off field based role. Head of the football department is responsible for the on field matter and reports to the CEO who when needed takes things to the board to be ratified.

Wins:
Moorabbin relocation and re development including the Danny Frawley Centre.
Better engagement with past players
Increased membership
Survival of club through Covid
Minimal off field drama compared to other times

Fails:
- Re-appointing Richo - not just his decision would have started with Head of footy and moved up the chain from there
- Continuing with recruiting people during the period 2014 - 2018

Overall better than a pass mark.

My worry is SL is a jobs for the boys hand over.
Mate at head office will be gone at years end so we really need to see what he can bring to the table. Do not want to see him in the coaching box as that is not a place for the CEO.
Would be more comfortable had they actually searched for someone and not just internal promotion. Hopefully I am wrong

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 2:59pm My worry is SL is a jobs for the boys hand over.
Mate at head office will be gone at years end so we really need to see what he can bring to the table. Do not want to see him in the coaching box as that is not a place for the CEO.
Would be more comfortable had they actually searched for someone and not just internal promotion. Hopefully I am wrong
I don't see it that way...If we're on the right path then the promotion should come from within. You need to continue to execute the current strategy, not create a new one.

older saint
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 3:02pm
older saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 2:59pm My worry is SL is a jobs for the boys hand over.
I don't see it that way...If we're on the right path then the promotion should come from within. You need to continue to execute the current strategy, not create a new one.
That's fine if he is the best person for the job.
The worry is he was parachuted in by Gil after he left/removed form the AFL. He was responsible for Hanners and everyone knows the link there.
Like i said hopefully i am wrong.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 3:11pm
The worry is he was parachuted in by Gil after he left/removed form the AFL. He was responsible for Hanners and everyone knows the link there.
Off field, we are doing pretty well. I'd trust the internal process.
So what if he was parachuted in by Gil? It's in his best interest to see the club succeed off field. The AFL is not about to let us choose someone they don't approve as the CEO. We still have a significant debt and rely on the AFL funds for survivial.

older saint
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 4:38pm
older saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 3:11pm
Off field, we are doing pretty well. I'd trust the internal process.
So what if he was parachuted in by Gil? It's in his best interest to see the club succeed off field. The AFL is not about to let us choose someone they don't approve as the CEO. We still have a significant debt and rely on the AFL funds for survival.
Like i said i hope I am wrong as at the end of the day it will be people like us that ultimately suffer if i am correct not those who inflict the damage- they just move on to the next job

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 11:23am Gets a tick for Moorabbin, and for handling some of the sensitive issues (especially Rod Owen and Robert Muir) but that's it.

The absolute failure to instil a high performance culture is how I'll remember him. Hitched his wagon to two failed coaches; backed in a dreadful recruiting and development team.

Seemed more concerned with theme games (a bewildering obsession) than winning games. We became a vehicle for his chosen causes rather than pursuing what we need, a relentless drive to win at all costs. That really set us back a long way.
Perfectly put. Former head of the Players Association who seemed more focused on making St Kilda Employer of the Year and a beacon of social progress. While I'm all for these things aelsewhere, they're out of place in sports and the military and it's no coincidence that his tenure has been, on-field at least, a long blur of mediocrity.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 2:44pm Membership under his tenure has grown from 30,793 (after three straight years of decline) to 57,930.

I am also confident that if the playing group weren't on board then it wouldn't happen.

His predecessor failed to re-sign Ross Lyon and appointed Scott Watters. I think Finnis has been better than our last three CEO's
I thought that the tosser flosser, Toss LYIN had a year to go on his contract but used a get out clause to piss off to Freo, behind the Saints admin back.

He did that whilst lying to the saints.

Good attempt to rewrite history though.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 8:17pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 2:44pm Membership under his tenure has grown from 30,793 (after three straight years of decline) to 57,930.

I thought that the tosser flosser, Toss LYIN had a year to go on his contract but used a get out clause to piss off to Freo, behind the Saints admin back.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 5ddf219c08
Lyon exercised a six-month get-out clause in September of that year, after the Saints had stalled contract negotiations with their coach.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't have a problem with Finnis as I think he was a good CEO despite some of the crap posted on here in this thread and others over the years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 8:22pm

Lyon exercised a six-month get-out clause in September of that year, after the Saints had stalled contract negotiations with their coach.
Yeah, accords with what I said. Lyin arsehole IMHFO. I would not believe a word the prick said.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did Ok. Didn't seem to get appropriate support/good advice early from whoever was the Football Director on the board but Club is in much better position now than when he started.
Expect some big announcements soon to herald in the new CEO and new head of the football department. I think SL is a smart operator. Unfortunately he is associated with one spectacular failure and another that is highly questioned. He will want to turn around the recent on field performance asap because that is what the Club's reputation will depend on for the next few years.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 8:39pm

Yeah, accords with what I said. Lyin arsehole IMHFO. I would not believe a word the prick said.
I didn't attempt to rewrite history. He didn't re-sign Lyon and he walked. He then appointed Watters. As bad a coach as Watson.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 8:54pm
saynta wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 8:39pm

I didn't attempt to rewrite history. He didn't re-sign Lyon and he walked. He then appointed Watters. As bad a coach as Watson.
Lyin had a year to run on his contract, He threw a match against the Swans and then retired 3 players without their knowledge. He was out the door really before the season ended.

The prick's a confirmed liar so why are you so easily taken in by him trying to justify his low life actions years after the event.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

In my mind, nothing will come close to the enormity - and long standing consequences, perhaps fatal for the club long term, of losing our deal to secure the Junction Oval in 2014.

(Edit) :(I suspect that)."Eddie McQuire and his brother pulled the strings in the State Government to secure the MCG for Collingwood on the proviso that the JO would be just for cricket." I suspect this...I do not know. Apologies. (end edit)

I don’t care what any of you say about Cricket ground nonsense. That was a chance of a lifetime.

That said Finnis cannot punch with Eddie and his mates in government.

I am so proud that the move to Moorabbin was a success.

I can’t say much else except I am seriously doubtful that we are a competitive club.

I will always cite the allowance - the absolute slackness and uncompetitive negligence of letting Nathan Brown walk mid season as a backup defender in the middle of his contract. He was Carlisle’ back up.

I don’t care about the social agenda …bravo I think it is good. St Kilda is a cosmopolitan area and let us wave the flag proudly.

But never forget it is competitive.
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:24am, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Personally I think that Matt Finnis's tenure as CEO has been successful. Not only has he overseen the club return to Linton Street, but has at the same time developed a state of the art facility that would be the envy of most clubs. On top of that, our membership has grown to a fraction under 60K which is a record. Yes, he didn’t deliver a premiership but neither have any of his predecessors over the last 56 years.
He leaves the club in significantly better shape than the one he inherited. I hope that his successor doesn’t undo all of his good work.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 9:05pm He threw a match against the Swans and then retired 3 players without their knowledge. He was out the door really before the season ended.

The prick's a confirmed liar so why are you so easily taken in by him trying to justify his low life actions years after the event.
Are you seriously suggesting that he threw the Elimination Final in 2011? Now who's rewriting history?
I suspect the 57-37 clanger count on the night might have been more of a factor.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

CEOs job is to run the organisation

How are we doing financially?

How are our facilities?

How well is our football dept resourced?

How is the communication with our members?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:42am
saynta wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 9:05pm He threw a match against the Swans and then retired 3 players without their knowledge. He was out the door really before the season ended.

Are you seriously suggesting that he threw the Elimination Final in 2011? Now who's rewriting history?
I suspect the 57-37 clanger count on the night might have been more of a factor.
There were two matches against the swans in quick succession. The one he went out of his way to lose was the one at Olympic park. I was there and it was f****** obvious.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 12:19pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:42am

There were two matches against the swans in quick succession. The one he went out of his way to lose was the one at Olympic park. I was there and it was f****** obvious.
Just so we're all clear on this "obvious" tanking approach...
Coming in to round 22, we were 6th on 42 points (10.5 wins). West Coast were 5th on 13 wins with games against Essendon, Brisbane, and Adelaide (two of the bottom four teams). We weren't catching them.

We lost to Sydney (8th) by 15 points in round 22 to staying 6th on the ladder as Essendon also lost to West Coast, which we knew at the time of our game, meaning we couldn't finish higher than 6th but could easily drop out of the 8.
We played North in round 23 and won by 65 points and remained 6th (equal with Sydney and Essendon on points).
In Round 24 with no ability to drop out of the 8, we play Carlton (5th) at the 'G. We win the game by 20 points ensuring we stay 6th and securing a home final at Docklands!

How does any of that stack up with throwing a game of football?
Sydney kicked 8.23 for the night. Imagine if they'd kicked straight. McEvoy was smashed by Mumford (54 hit outs to 25) earning Mummy 3 Brownlow votes. We lost clearances as a result 50-32. But...no we lost because our coach threw the game.