Another key forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yallingupsaints
Club Player

Another key forward

I reckon we need another stay at home key forward to take the load off Max and Timmy. Should be looking at Jacob Van Rooyen who is superfluous at the demons atm and will come cheap or Riccardi from GWS. Allows us to patch holes with Hayes to play both ends especially when we come up against the monsters.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another key forward

We definitely need another tall marking forward

Most teams play with 3 permanent marking forwards

We at times just play Max in a lone role

Needs to be sorted ...... and while they are at it get rid of Lade and bring in some fresh ideas to our offensive structure and function

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

If Paddy Ryder goes for another year, and he's indicated he wants to keep playing, then Jack Hayes will be the 3rd key tall - plus Sharman, who kicked 13.5 as a forward, is a great alternative.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP, if we stick with what we've got then nothing will change with our F50 issues.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Craw
Club Player

I would look at Jack Gunstan from the Hawks.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The midfield and forward line are our crisis areas, up until the second half of the season I thought it was just the midfield bit now I'm more inclined to think we need to replace Max as the key target and find a new role for Max as our number one recruitment priority. So definitely would agree we need another key tall forward. Hayes can probably take Members spot and use Members more as a utility.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I would be looking at attempting to trade in a player like Billy Frampton. A 2nd ruckman who can also play forward. As I think Jack Hayes will become the 2nd tall forward we desperately need.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/17/ ... -and-more/

Then look at bringing in another tall forward & ruckman via the draft.

older saint
SS Life Member

With Hayes i dont think the need is there.
Look at best teams:
Geelong 2 bigger forwards - Hawlkins and Cameron
Collingwood - mainly mid size forwards - Michochek and resting ruck
Freo - Lobb, and Tabenar
Rich - Lynch, Riewoldt. Third big hasnt worked and they have pushed Balta back recently.

Melbourne have 3 and are worst in league for ball exiting 50
Brisbane have 3 and also allow the ball to waltz out of the backline hence why they get scored against easily in waves.

Focus on good ball users and another bigger defender - we were exposed terribly when Howard went down.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:43pm With Hayes i dont think the need is there.
Look at best teams:
Freo - Lobb, and Tabenar
Rich - Lynch, Riewoldt. Third big hasnt worked and they have pushed Balta back recently.

Brisbane have 3 and also allow the ball to waltz out of the backline hence why they get scored against easily in waves.

Focus on good ball users and another bigger defender - we were exposed terribly when Howard went down.
Hayes won't be ready to go Round 1 2023 and if he pings his reconstructed ACL then we'll have nobody else, again.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
older saint
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:55pm
older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:43pm With Hayes i dont think the need is there.
Look at best teams:
Freo - Lobb, and Tabenar

Hayes won't be ready to go Round 1 2023 and if he pings his reconstructed ACL then we'll have nobody else, again.
and if he doesn't... stuck with one in the reserves on decent $$.

Perhaps someone like a Sharman ( if he actually has a decent pre season and puts in the work) or a Highmore could fill the roll until Hayes is back

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:05pm
Look at best teams:
Freo - Lobb, and Tabenar

Perhaps someone like a Sharman ( if he actually has a decent pre season and puts in the work) or a Highmore could fill the roll until Hayes is back
Maybe.

I wonder if we could beat North with that temporary forward set up.

older saint
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:11pm
Look at best teams:
Freo - Lobb, and Tabenar

Maybe.

To me its more about the delivery by foot - which is appalling . There were times a forward line of Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett would have struggled with the way we kick the ball

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:29pm
Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:11pm
Look at best teams:
Freo - Lobb, and Tabenar

Maybe.

To me its more about the delivery by foot - which is appalling . There were times a forward line of Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett would have struggled with the way we kick the ball
Let's see what the List and Recruiting people deliver the team in the off season, then we'll know if we will have a new forward flavour or if we are just polishing up what we already have.

I know what i'd prefer.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Why pick up 32 year old Gunston when we have 22 year old Sharman who's the same height and can do the same job?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 3:00pm Why pick up 32 year old Gunston when we have 22 year old Sharman who's the same height and can do the same job?
Because Sharman is way of AFL pace and may never make the grade whereas Gunston would provide a chopout to another 22 year old in the forward line who struggles to play that part of the ground.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:29pm To me its more about the delivery by foot - which is appalling . There were times a forward line of Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett would have struggled with the way we kick the ball
Yes, our delivery is poor at times. The problem is made worse when their only option is to kick it to Max King with three guys hanging off him.

That says to me that the problems go deeper than just poor delivery and involve structure and personnel. And probably game plan as well.

Put simply, we cannot rely on King to kick us a winning score every week.

If he could kick like Lockett or Dunstall or Ablett maybe you get away with it … sometimes. But he can’t and never will.

I’ve no doubt his kicking will improve, but while he is doing that he needs other goal-kicking options around him. It’s never healthy to be over-reliant on one player … particularly a kid with the yips.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gunston is pretty putrid now

Callum Wilkie absolutely terry towels him!!!!

Why will Hayes not be ready

9 months to rehab an ACL ready for training

12 months to be ready to play

Yallingupsaints
Club Player

As impressive as Hayes appeared he has played 5 games and is an unknown quantity really. He is a utility and can be used back, forward , ruck, whatever, this is why we recruited him. Sharmanator looks at home down back and is far more useful than being the decoy forward we seem to use him as. Marshall or Ryder are not the answer either. We need a another key forward probably as much if not more than we need a classy midfielder.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Yallingupsaints wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:09pm As impressive as Hayes appeared he has played 5 games and is an unknown quantity really. He is a utility and can be used back, forward , ruck, whatever, this is why we recruited him. Sharmanator looks at home down back and is far more useful than being the decoy forward we seem to use him as. Marshall or Ryder are not the answer either. We need a another key forward probably as much if not more than we need a classy midfielder.
Correct, not sure why it's so hard to comprehend, maybe that's why we are so unsuccessful, we can't see the obvious.

Yallingupsaints
Club Player

And that’s from watching it on the couch. Can’t imagine how obvious it must be at the ground.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Whatever forward we get

They MUST be able to play as a second ruck

Cannot have

2 key forwards and 2 ruckmen in the same team - too slow

Add Membrey to that - and you’re relying on Marks i50

Data shows 70% of goals are kicked from ground balls or in play

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sharman

Very average imo

Good kick, ok mark… rest of his game is ordinary

He’s not KP size - he’s not quick

longtimesaint
Club Player

Sharman is 193 cm -same height as Riewoldt.

One year will be our year
Yallingupsaints
Club Player

Who on the market can play forward and ruck? Apart from Luke Jackson its a unicorn and no 18 year old draftee is capable of stepping into that.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Lots of theories, it reminds me why those involved at AFL level are where they are and supporters are just that. supporters, one group knows, the other thinks they do. :lol: