How to improve Saints midfield immediately

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

How to improve Saints midfield immediately

For mine think we can find Immediate uplift with some run and much more creative ball use.

1. Tell Clark he’s going nowhere- except the gym over summer and running track it’s time he becomes an elite mid. Creative off both sides will be deadly steaming out of centre with ball in hand. Just needs good injury run

2. Jack Sinclair - tell him he’s 80% mid next year he too going out of centre will be frightening prospect and you know he’ll use it well

3. Owens/Windhager (with Long gone) to rotate off a HFF on ball with plenty of minutes

Who plays more HBF?

It’s time Leo - 2nd B&F VFL great footskills and sidestep he is a type that could pull the 45 kick into corridor

I’d also be sniff around Loyd from Swans out of contract ?? Another HB option

We still have Webster etc who can play HB so we. An fibd options. Midfield you need your best around the ball

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: How to improve Saints midfield immediately

I’d say no to most of that

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s obvious after a player in the VFL has played 7 games at AFL level whether they will make it or not.

7 games is the threshold

Yes, let’s change nothing. Keep all the players in the same positions

We can’t afford to upset too many of the senior players. There’s a limit to how many spots are available at the DFC

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Stop rewarding plodders with poor skills.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 17 Sep 2022 9:58pm I’d say no to most of that
Then that’s a certain yes in my mind based off your footy strategies :D

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Our drafting has been horrible I don't need to go into detail I think everyone knows the story.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'd say yes to that strategy, Teflon.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 17 Sep 2022 7:38pm For mine think we can find Immediate uplift with some run and much more creative ball use.

1. Tell Clark he’s going nowhere- except the gym over summer and running track it’s time he becomes an elite mid. Creative off both sides will be deadly steaming out of centre with ball in hand. Just needs good injury run

2. Jack Sinclair - tell him he’s 80% mid next year he too going out of centre will be frightening prospect and you know he’ll use it well

3. Owens/Windhager (with Long gone) to rotate off a HFF on ball with plenty of minutes

Who plays more HBF?

It’s time Leo - 2nd B&F VFL great footskills and sidestep he is a type that could pull the 45 kick into corridor

We still have Webster etc who can play HB so we. An fibd options. Midfield you need your best around the ball
I rate Leo as well but obviously he’s a huge ? at this stage.

Coffield is the obvious return to a HBF and hopefully in terms of fitness, he picks up where he left off. Needs to play as a running back, creative play maker that uses his marking skill as a strength rather than a necessity of his game.

I also 100% agree with you on Sinclair. We have stuff all players that can play as an elite mid and a bunch that could cover a HBF/BP…
Clark, Hill, Nasiah, Long (before we lose him), Coops, Highmore, Webster, Byrnes…
Admittedly none of them can replace Sinclair or get close to him but some might be able to do well enough to cover his absence so that we gain more in the middle then we lose at HBF.

Sinclair really adds a dimension to our midfield

Looking at our backline…
Paton, Howard, Wilkie
Coffield, Battle, ?

I think that’s a good start… with Battle and Wilkie generally a touch small for KPD despite there multiple strengths, it seems like we need someone that can spoil, but with Sinclair out and Paton not currently showing great play making qualities… we’re absolutely a runner down too.

Hard to see who on the list is the right fit…
Clark and Connolly too small or not aerially driven enough
Highmore not enough of a runner
Webster kind of in the middle there

Pbly I’d put NWM there to start as he has the most upside… nice disposal, decent in the air, let the ball come to him, has a playmaker edge about him.

And with that I’d go Clark to the middle, Hill on a HFF, and I’d drop one of Butler/Higgins

Would like to see Highmore play more as runner that can take a grab (develop that part of his game). Coops is pbly the best suited to being a swing man / depth but I still like him more forward that as a defender

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 12:34am
Teflon wrote: Sat 17 Sep 2022 7:38pm For mine think we can find Immediate uplift with some run and much more creative ball use.

Who plays more HBF?

I rate Leo as well but obviously he’s a huge ? at this stage.

Coffield is the obvious return to a HBF and hopefully in terms of fitness, he picks up where he left off. Needs to play as a running back, creative play maker that uses his marking skill as a strength rather than a necessity of his game.

I also 100% agree with you on Sinclair. We have stuff all players that can play as an elite mid and a bunch that could cover a HBF/BP…
Clark, Hill, Nasiah, Long (before we lose him), Coops, Highmore, Webster, Byrnes…
Admittedly none of them can replace Sinclair or get close to him but some might be able to do well enough to cover his absence so that we gain more in the middle then we lose at HBF.

Sinclair really adds a dimension to our midfield

Looking at our backline…
Paton, Howard, Wilkie
Coffield, Battle, ?

I think that’s a good start… with Battle and Wilkie generally a touch small for KPD despite there multiple strengths, it seems like we need someone that can spoil, but with Sinclair out and Paton not currently showing great play making qualities… we’re absolutely a runner down too.

Hard to see who on the list is the right fit…
Clark and Connolly too small or not aerially driven enough
Highmore not enough of a runner
Webster kind of in the middle there

Pbly I’d put NWM there to start as he has the most upside… nice disposal, decent in the air, let the ball come to him, has a playmaker edge about him.

And with that I’d go Clark to the middle, Hill on a HFF, and I’d drop one of Butler/Higgins

Would like to see Highmore play more as runner that can take a grab (develop that part of his game). Coops is pbly the best suited to being a swing man / depth but I still like him more forward that as a defender
Good call re Coffield completely forgot him !
Think the point is our pedestrian midfield needs an injection of quality ball use
Sincs abs Clark bring that
I thought Sincs turned the Pies gave our way early season when he went in there
Then Brett did what Brett does….didn’t try it again even when we were being belted..

“Yeah….nah””
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I’d deploy Billings to a half back role.

Billings & Sinclair in rebounding half back roles as two of our better field kicks may be a point of difference.

If Hill stays, high half forward.

Wood & McKenzie on wings worked well early 2022 as they both pushed back and forward really well.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 11:23am I’d deploy Billings to a half back role.

Billings & Sinclair in rebounding half back roles as two of our better field kicks may be a point of difference.

If Hill stays, high half forward.

Wood & McKenzie on wings worked well early 2022 as they both pushed back and forward really well.
I like most of this but I have to be honest… Billings stocks have really dropped for mine.

In a lot of respects a HBF role for Billings seems ideal because there’s the prospect of the ball being given to him more and he does have the speed, accuracy and smarts to make a go of it.

Here’s the problem though
a) will he actually stay on the park
b) will he be accountable enough to an opponent. If you’re going to play loose you need to be really damaging like an Aussie Jones and I don’t know that he’s that good

And finally… I just don’t know that he’ll get to the level of elite fitness to be really damaging in the role. Need to be a hard two way runner to be both offensive and defensive effectively…
Sinclair for whatever deficiencies he may have had now simply runs his opponents into the ground and stays in games.

I don’t see it from Billings atm.

However many years in it’s the same pattern. He starts well but fails to run out the year. I have a lot more faith in Hill to be honest

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Get some players who can hit a target by foot under pressure

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 1:20pm Get some players who can hit a target by foot under pressure
De Goey would help but is unlikely.

Draft & develop elite kids...plus the club needs to start pressuring the current list to improve their skills. Players are never to old to improve should be their mantra and hold them to it!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 2:33pm
Zed wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 1:20pm Get some players who can hit a target by foot under pressure

Draft & develop elite kids...plus the club needs to start pressuring the current list to improve their skills. Players are never to old to improve should be their mantra and hold them to it!
Sebastian Ross being a good example. Not perfect but a huge drop off of helicopter kicks going straight to a swarm of opponents.
Seemed like he really focused on decision making and playing within his own limitations this season and got excellent results

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Agree. North in 70s bought a premiership - can't do it now. But our recruiting process seems to think it can be done and at the same time make silly choices like Brad and Dan. Need to make right choices but the club has been woefully light on clever. Hopefully Gallagher is turning that around.

suss
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 2:33pm

This is the best way to do it but we have shown that we are shockingly incapable of drafting elite talent. Our drafting record since John Beverage retired has been the worst in the competition.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What do you mean can’t buy a premiership

Richmond
Bought Presta, Lynch and Nank
Melbourne
Lever, May, Langdon and Hibbert
Hawthorn
Gunston, Burgoyne, Frawley, Lake
Geelong
Danger, Cameron, Rohan, Touhey, Smith

Draft is a part of the puzzle

Bringing in A Grade talent through FA and Trade is critical

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Geelong haven't won a premiership with those players

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hence why I’m suggesting get Sincs and Clark off Hb and in the guts
HB can be played by a number of options
Billing’s ain’t defensive enough btw
Coffield Webster (for now) Leo playing through their even Highmore …
Get our guns on the ball ffs

“Yeah….nah””
Killa
Club Player

Show Ross the footage of the impact Pendlebury has with ball in hand - and tell Ross that or no games

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That is a ridiculous comment

Why not show him footage of Gary Ablett or Chris Judd then???

BTW
What did you think of Ross this season?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Lenny Hayes will bring some improvement.

Folks talkin bout Sincs in the middle.
I recently watched our Tigers game again, and Sincs was at all the centre bounces.
So he's been there this year

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 10:07pm Lenny Hayes will bring some improvement.

Folks talkin bout Sincs in the middle.
I recently watched our Tigers game again, and Sincs was at all the centre bounces.
So he's been there this year
Rubbish
He’s AA off a HBF
He certainly wasn’t there when Freo, Swans, Bombers pantsed us late in the year when it mattered

“Yeah….nah””
Killa
Club Player

Ross may get his hands on the ball 25 times a game - and as a mid that is the minimum requirement

But it is where and how he gets it

Then there is the fact that he can not run with the ball in hand so stopsinviting pressure, then going sideways with disposals which put pressure on others

This total lack of potency with the ball in hand is confirmed by the number of goals he has kicked across his career

You would expect proficient mids to be averaging 0.5 goals a game - Ross is now where near this benchmark

Plus he can not mark overhead so can not be pushed forward and, equally, cannot be deployed in defence

Then you have a lack of chase pace - so where does the pace he shows during the run thru’s go to?

It is a mystery

Simply, Ross has no aggression in his game - and not in any facet of his game

And on Clark and Sinclair, they are both equally proficient off both left and right, so buy time

One area Sinclair has really improved in is his overhead marking where he is now very good (hence being able to be played in defence)

Pendlebury, as but one example, is potent with ball in hand - and can be deployed to half back

We have to move on from Ross

Because the game today is all about ball movement and honouring the game plan (because sides play with expectation as to where and how the ball is going next moves ahead St Kilda is no exception in this facet of the game including because we have the knowledge we have among our Coaching panel, knowledge which is competition leading)

spert
Saintsational Legend

How to improve Saints midfield immediately? Get another coach.