Why I hate Walsh’s irrelevance comment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Why I hate Walsh’s irrelevance comment

It’s not because it might be right (many of us here suspect it)

It’s because what gives him right to come out in public and say it. He said it as an employee of the StK FC.

We have the right .. long suffering members and employees

Joey, Nick etc have the right, they have earnt that.

Employees of the club (whether the CEO, Lenny Hayes or the person who answers our calls) do not have that right. Their jobs are to work to make our club great and more relevant but not to tell outsiders that “we are irrelevant”

How about Walsh come in shut up and then in a year or two say, “look what has happened”

I also found the comment arrogant and conceited. To me it smacks of “oh poor St K aren’t they a disgrace and look at me the white knight who deigns to come and help our poor souls”

Step off Walsh, come in, do your job and then let’s congratulate you if appropriate

I bet he doesn’t even know what FQF means

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why I hate Walsh’s irrelevance comment

I kinda liked how he didn’t mince words. Let’s be honest, even many of the fans are ridiculing the club these days. His message was along the lines of, “I’m hoping to bring some much needed respect and success to this club”.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I didn't really hear it like that. I heard a bloke call a spade , a spade, without any of the customary spin for once.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
spert
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:48am I didn't really hear it like that. I heard a bloke call a spade , a spade, without any of the customary spin for once.
Same here..if things need be said, then say it.

AuckSaint
Club Player

I liked it wasn't the normal "media speak" of new admin/coaches, and showed some spark and willingness to talk through the cliches and do the job. I hated that he felt he had to say it (when nobody else has), not that he said it

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:39am It’s not because it might be right (many of us here suspect it)

It’s because what gives him right to come out in public and say it. He said it as an employee of the StK FC.

Employees of the club (whether the CEO, Lenny Hayes or the person who answers our calls) do not have that right. Their jobs are to work to make our club great and more relevant but not to tell outsiders that “we are irrelevant”

How about Walsh come in shut up and then in a year or two say, “look what has happened”

I also found the comment arrogant and conceited. To me it smacks of “oh poor St K aren’t they a disgrace and look at me the white knight who deigns to come and help our poor souls”

Step off Walsh, come in, do your job and then let’s congratulate you if appropriate

FQF
The reaction to his appointment reminded of the support Donald Trump received from the angry brigade in the lead up to the US 2016 election.

He would say really simple shyte that meant nothing and the dumbest of dummies lapped him up whilst claiming he was a "straight talker"

But just because someone says something incredibly simple that the dummies understand doesn't mean they are "straight talkers".

Someone can say something complex and still be honest and effective.

I have to be honest I wasn't impressed with his huff and puff, for mine he has just highlighted how much the AFL is now a commercial government using the same trickery to manipulate the gullible.

Geoff was clearly pandering to the base with his huff and puff comments which really only deflects from Bassett's performance and the biggest issue being faced by not only our club, but many of the assisted clubs , and that is access to talent.

The only meat on the bone Geoff has provided so far is this comment:

"I think there are a few little bits and pieces that are related to picks and trying to perhaps group a couple of picks together to get further up the order, like everyone does. Essentially it might be a time where we go to the draft as opposed to trade."

For mine that comment leads to more questions than confidence in what actually is his magic trick that no other club has for acquiring talent. And a trick that works for a poor club with massive debt and limited appeal as a destination.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

How did his comments impact on our ability to attract players during this trade period? Pretty negatively, I suspect. Throw in Goddard and Riewoldt having a crack at the club and it's culture and it makes Gallagher's job nigh impossible.

I agree with Terry Smith Rules. It has a bit of Malbom Blight about it. A guy who's coaxed into getting back into the management side of football and then publicly dumps a pile of manure on the club that just employed him. It smacks of disrespect for the club and an arrogance......"these guys are useless so they've asked me to come in and fix things. I can say what I want publicly because I'm the hot shot here"

I'm not against bringing people into help improve the club, but once they sign the contract they're no longer outsiders and they should chose their words carefully, especially during a period when the club is trying to attract players

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 10:05am How did his comments impact on our ability to attract players during this trade period? Pretty negatively, I suspect. Throw in Goddard and Riewoldt having a crack at the club and it's culture and it makes Gallagher's job nigh impossible.

I agree with Terry Smith Rules. It has a bit of Malbom Blight about it. A guy who's coaxed into getting back into the management side of football and then publicly dumps a pile of manure on the club that just employed him. It smacks of disrespect for the club and an arrogance......"these guys are useless so they've asked me to come in and fix things. I can say what I want publicly because I'm the hot shot here"

I'm not against bringing people into help improve the club, but once they sign the contract they're no longer outsiders and they should chose their words carefully, especially during a period when the club is trying to attract players

Thank you, you have said it better than I

I think others have missed my/ your point re the difference between an internal and external conversation/view

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

No problem with the tough talk or calling a spade a shovel.

The real interest is whether he can walk the talk or is he just another blowhard.

What will he do differently and what can he provide that is different to the multitude of predecessors who have tried and failed.

The comment was accurate IMO but a pretty simple one to identify. What comes next?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Club Player

The comment is probably based on the past decade. Should be said inhouse perhaps.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why I those in charge.hate Walsh’s irrelevance comment

I'm sure he had the blessing of Bassat/Lethlean to say what he did.
IMHO, no new employee would make statements like he did without forewarning

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 10:29am
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 10:05am How did his comments impact on our ability to attract players during this trade period? Pretty negatively, I suspect. Throw in Goddard and Riewoldt having a crack at the club and it's culture and it makes Gallagher's job nigh impossible.

I think others have missed my/ your point re the difference between an internal and external conversation/view
So I'm clear, your feelings where hurt even though there is a lot of truth to his comment?

I don't have a problem with honest feedback and also taking accountability for the feedback however where poor management gets it horribly wrong is to not follow up with a clear and executable solution.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Nothing wrong with the truth. But there's a place for it, and that's in-house. There is such a thing as public perception, and we've seen how powerful that can be. The media is a prime example, with narratives played out and facts omitted to promote that narrative, swaying public opinion.

Now, if I'm trying to sell my house, I'm not going to reveal that it's had a ton of plumbing work in recent months, even though it's all been fixed, because potential buyers will get nervous. Everything has been put right, but if the neighbour leans over the fence during an inspection and starts talking about the plumbing work, that gets people worried.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He can say what he wants. Let the results dictate what people think. The truth hurts for some.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The truth hurts........our ability to attract players during this trade period. The truth is the truth but when and where it is said requires some forethought, because the impacts of revealing that truth need to be considered first.

I don't care what he said. But I care that it's made Gallagher's job a lot harder

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:13am Nothing wrong with the truth. But there's a place for it, and that's in-house. There is such a thing as public perception, and we've seen how powerful that can be. The media is a prime example, with narratives played out and facts omitted to promote that narrative, swaying public opinion.

Now, if I'm trying to sell my house, I'm not going to reveal that it's had a ton of plumbing work in recent months, even though it's all been fixed, because potential buyers will get nervous. Everything has been put right, but if the neighbour leans over the fence during an inspection and starts talking about the plumbing work, that gets people worried.
Imagine what would happen in this crazy world if everyone started telling the truth. Since when is the truth ever a problem, (a rhetorical question).

Honest feedback shouldn't be an issue if there is a clear and executable solution provided and therin lies the problem.

So they keep the truth inhouse, then what next, do they keep the solution inhouse too? How is adequate scrutiny and accountability achieved if everything is secret and kept in house especially the solution? We all know what the problem is.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:23am The truth hurts........our ability to attract players during this trade period. The truth is the truth but when and where it is said requires some forethought, because the impacts of revealing that truth need to be considered first.

I don't care what he said. But I care that it's made Gallagher's job a lot harder
Disagree. Clubland knows more about what the reality is at each club.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:35am
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:23am The truth hurts........our ability to attract players during this trade period. The truth is the truth but when and where it is said requires some forethought, because the impacts of revealing that truth need to be considered first.

All clubs are good but it's all about perception. Some think we are crap. Most non St Kilda people think St Kilda irrelevant.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:54am
Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:35am

All clubs are good but it's all about perception. Some think we are crap. Most non St Kilda people think St Kilda irrelevant.
The comments would have zero impact on Gags job because PR spin and how magnificent things are is directed at the public and supporters. Clubland deals in reality below all of the smoke and mirrors.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 11:05am
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 10:29am

So I'm clear, your feelings where hurt even though there is a lot of truth to his comment?

I don't have a problem with honest feedback and also taking accountability for the feedback however where poor management gets it horribly wrong is to not follow up with a clear and executable solution.
No my feelings are not hurt (do you have to make a personal comment?)

As I said many of us here agree with the sentiment, I certainly do.

My point (again) is that as an employee is he entitled to air those thoughts publically.

Would you start a new job and on your first day say“excited to join an organisation that many might see as irrelevant” how do you think your employer would react

I reckon your work colleagues would think you have got a little ahead of yourself

I don’t care how fabulous his reputation is, come in, shut up, do your job and if in two years we have a result that we will all laud you as the messiah, until then…. Just get on with it

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Well, every other club in the league is irrelevant to me. That's just the way it is for every supporter.

A really smart operator would do and say nothing to put the club on the back foot during a trade period.

Walsh's opinion was his own and he should have kept it to himself. How do you sell your club by disrespecting it publicly? Pretty bloody dumb.

There is no way to gauge these operators in football circles. Other than the recruiters, whose ability is measurable from the outside.

Walsh might end up being really good for us. He might end up swaggering around with a big stick, acting the tough guy like Scott Watters or Mark Neeld. Or he may just be vanilla dressed up as chocolate, living off his reputation. None of us will know.

The bottom line is we need more talent to be a challenger. That's the bottom line for every club. The teams with the most talent usually win the flag. It's been that way forever.

The most important people at your football club are your recruiters. If they fail, the club fails, irrespective of the quality of management

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 9:38am
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:39am It’s not because it might be right (many of us here suspect it)

FQF
The reaction to his appointment reminded of the support Donald Trump received from the angry brigade in the lead up to the US 2016 election.
Jesus! That is an ominous comparison to make 😱

Does that mean we’ll one day have a MAGA-type cult of fans who will one day engage in a siege on AFL HQ?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbob
SS Life Member

It’s what this club and its supporters should’ve been told 20yrs ago, I’m glad Walshy’s come in and called a spade a spade and maybe if he continues to make these calls then we can change for the better.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:09pm

No my feelings are not hurt (do you have to make a personal comment?)

As I said many of us here agree with the sentiment, I certainly do.

My point (again) is that as an employee is he entitled to air those thoughts publically.

Would you start a new job and on your first day say“excited to join an organisation that many might see as irrelevant” how do you think your employer would react

I reckon your work colleagues would think you have got a little ahead of yourself

I don’t care how fabulous his reputation is, come in, shut up, do your job and if in two years we have a result that we will all laud you as the messiah, until then…. Just get on with it
The bottom line is you have been easily distracted and diverted. Aren't you curious about what his magic trick is to achieve increasing the talent? Shouldn't it annoy you more that he insulted us by giving us bugger all detail on how he intends to bring in said talent other than what he said in this comment:

"I think there are a few little bits and pieces that are related to picks and trying to perhaps group a couple of picks together to get further up the order, like everyone does. Essentially it might be a time where we go to the draft as opposed to trade."

"Like everyone does"

What part of that inspires confidence that he has any chance of improving our list. I mean a 16 year learns that stuff playing supercoach.

Like I say he has made a rod for his back now with his comments and I think unless we learn more about his point of difference then I think he will be found out quickly. So hopefully people inside the club become offended by what matters, hopefully insiders hold him to account on what matter and not just hurt feelings.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I liked it, as it confirms to supporters that at least one person down there isn't delusional, which can be hard to know at times.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.