Ross Lyon loves St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Ross Lyon loves St Kilda

Can you believe that!!
Sorry - meant to add to previous thread - recent Age article

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he- ... 5bq0w.html

St Kilda want to appoint their new senior coach within a fortnight, with Ross Lyon’s long-time lawyer expecting an approach from the club within days.

And the man who gave Lyon his career break and signed him as Saints coach in 2006 says there is no reason why the club and coach cannot forge a new relationship.

Lyon left the Saints in tumultuous circumstances after the 2011 season, when the club and his then manager thought they had agreed to a contract extension, only for Lyon to have done a separate deal with Fremantle.

Saintly intervention: Ross Lyon is the frontrunner to replace Brett Ratten, potentially returning to a club he left in tumultuous circumstances in 2011.
Saintly intervention: Ross Lyon is the frontrunner to replace Brett Ratten, potentially returning to a club he left in tumultuous circumstances in 2011.CREDIT:SEBASTIAN COSTANZO

However, Lyon, who guided the Saints into grand finals in 2009 and ’10, is still beloved by many players from his time there, including former captain and high-profile commentator Nick Riewoldt, and has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Brett Ratten - should he want the job.

Lyon does not have an agent, but his long-time lawyer John Gdanski, also a friend and confidant of Lyon, and a former Saints board director, said on Saturday that Lyon, who has worked in the media and in business since he left the Dockers, was expected to chat with the Saints this week.

“He has definitely not been approached and, like anyone, is always keen to have a chat. He loves St Kilda … (but) unless there is a particular offer, he is very happy where he is,” Gdanski said.

Rod Butterss says there is no reason why Ross Lyon and the Saints cannot build a new relationship together.
Rod Butterss says there is no reason why Ross Lyon and the Saints cannot build a new relationship together.CREDIT:JOE ARMAO

“Wouldn’t it be great to see the two of them, Lenny (Hayes) and Ross, together again.”

Club great Hayes recently agreed to return as an assistant coach alongside Ratten, the latter blindsided by his shock axing on Thursday. Angry friends of Ratten said on Saturday that he had been “stitched up” by Saints powerbrokers, and there was now no sympathy for a club desperate to be in the premiership mix as soon as next season.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Ross Lyon loves St Kilda

Well this St Kilda fan doesn't love Ross Lyon

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 6:23pm Well this St Kilda fan doesn't love Ross Lyon
I cancelled my direct debit auto renewal before the finals.
When Lenny came back, I rang the club and said I am strongly inclined to re-sign.

Well, if the Tosser gets the gig, I will NOT rejoin

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

when he returned the first time

Rubyjo
Club Player

Ross Lyon has been the only coach that has bought me joy ..apart from Stan Alved and Gt .

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ross loves what is good for Ross & there is nothing wrong with that & it's in his best interest to be that way.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:50pm Ross Lyon has been the only coach that has bought me joy ..apart from Stan Alved and Gt .
What about Keeny Sheldon??

Believe this???

Sheldon coached us for 86 games and only lost 36 times!!!

Can you believe it???

Fired of course.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 11:11pm Ross loves what is good for Ross & there is nothing wrong with that & it's in his best interest to be that way.
I sorta think there is something wrong with that actually. I don't think it sits very well with 'strength through loyalty'!

spert
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 12:46am
Rubyjo wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:50pm Ross Lyon has been the only coach that has bought me joy ..apart from Stan Alved and Gt .

Believe this???

Can you believe it???

Fired of course.
Kenny was great, but of course the tail wags the dog at StK, so the weak board gave him the flick.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

spert wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:31am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 12:46am

Believe this???

Can you believe it???

Fired of course.
Kenny was great, but of course the tail wags the dog at StK, so the weak board gave him the flick.
Kenny got sacked three times , yes what a f****** gun lol

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Apparently, and according to whispers which are unconfirmed, Goddard would return as an assistant if Ross The Boss is made Boss again

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Be like getting back with your ex wife...never works

And...

Is everyone forgetting that this grub got fired from Freo for reasons other than football.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:58am Be like getting back with your ex wife...never works

And...

Is everyone forgetting that this grub got fired from Freo for reasons other than football.
It works…
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2013/04/ ... ers_w.html

The ex wife thing…dunno..

I imagine that 1:4 people regularly decide to get divorced every five and a half days, are apathetic for another few days, then decide they are happily married for a few more.

That’s how much I know.

What makes you think we really know the odds?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Rizz64

Lyon signed up. Done ✅ deal. 5 years deal. At a million a year.
Fox son is funding.
Riewoldt going onto board

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:58am Be like getting back with your ex wife...never works

And...

👍
There were allegations of misconduct towards a female staffer. More than one alleged instance.
A bloke in a position of power like him, with friends n suckholes on the board- when they behave badly, there's always a cover-up such as a payout etc

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 10:44am

And...

👍
There were allegations of misconduct towards a female staffer. More than one alleged instance.
A bloke in a position of power like him, with friends n suckholes on the board- when they behave badly, there's always a cover-up such as a payout etc
Yep and...yep...the guy flirts with the truth and is a grub

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is so St Kilda.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Rizz64 wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 10:42am Lyon signed up. Done ✅ deal. 5 years deal. At a million a year.
Fox son is funding.
Riewoldt going onto board
Have you heard this? If so hoe reliable is your source? Or are you speculating?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 11:14am This is so St Kilda.
True, but this time its a good thing.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

And...

👍
The misconduct allegations whether true or not, weren't hanging offences. You don't banish people; particularly highly competent ones, because they are flawed, as all humans are.
The abrasive elements of his personalty are also what makes him highly competent under pressure and a leader who men want to follow.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 11:36am

And...

👍
The misconduct allegations whether true or not, weren't hanging offences. You don't banish people; particularly highly competent ones, because they are flawed, as all humans are.
The abrasive elements of his personalty are also what makes him highly competent under pressure and a leader who men want to follow.
I wonder if Sonja Hood would agree with your sentiments at the moment.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 12:00pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 11:36am

And...

👍
I wonder if Sonja Hood would agree with your sentiments at the moment.
I don't know. Landing Clarkson took a certain level of competence, certainly more than is on tap at Essendon. I don't think she'd have regrets.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

freely wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 6:33am
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 11:11pm Ross loves what is good for Ross & there is nothing wrong with that & it's in his best interest to be that way.
I sorta think there is something wrong with that actually. I don't think it sits very well with 'strength through loyalty'!
I don't think loyalty is a high priority for Ross

footynut
Club Player

He would positive and negatives to the club. Just like any other coach. In the positive side of the ledger is his demand for excellence and the standards he sets, his preparation and the respect he generates. However I remember his lack of game day tactical nous, his preference on role players over x factor, and lack of future planning ie playing the younger players. But the biggest danger is that he trys to implement a defensive game plan that is based on pressure and lacks score board impact. As even in 09 when we were almost unbeatable, we were often in danger due to our low scores

footynut
Club Player

He would positive and negatives to the club. Just like any other coach. In the positive side of the ledger is his demand for excellence and the standards he sets, his preparation and the respect he generates. However I remember his lack of game day tactical nous, his preference on role players over x factor, and lack of future planning ie playing the younger players. But the biggest danger is that he trys to implement a defensive game plan that is based on pressure and lacks score board impact. As even in 09 when we were almost unbeatable, we were often in danger due to our low scores