Ross Lyon a huge get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon a huge get

If we can land Lyon it will be a huge win. Ross was heavily chased by Collingwood Carlton Essendon amongst others.
Let’s remember he turned them down not the other way around. He clearly is rated incredibly high in the football industry.

The media will try there best to make it negative but make no mistake this would be huge.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon a huge get

In recent years, I've often thought " Can this guy actually coach? Does he know what he's doing? Is he consistent with his messaging to his players? Does he demand enough of them? Is he meticulous in the way he plans and executes? Does he cope well with pressure? Is his game plan rock solid and fully understood by his players ".

To most of those questions the answer is "I don't know", and to some "Probably not"

With Ross Lyon, I'm confident I won't need to ask those questions.

That brings with it a peace of mind I have not had about our club since his departure in 2011.

That peace of mind helps everyone at the club. It means everyone can focus on their own role much better rather than being distracted by lingering doubts about the head coach

That's why Ross Lyon has to be our coach. He's rock solid, and right now we need rock solid

damienc
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 2:23pm If we can land Lyon it will be a huge win. Ross was heavily chased by Collingwood Carlton Essendon amongst others.
Let’s remember he turned them down not the other way around. He clearly is rated incredibly high in the football industry.

The media will try there best to make it negative but make no mistake this would be huge.
Short memory must have a.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No coach is perfect. Can I be sure that a young coach like Adam Yze won't be another Alan Richardson, or worse, another Mark Neeld?

With a decade totally wasted, we can't afford the risk of an unknown quantity right now.

Normally, I'd be very open to exploring a young, untried coach, but I've come to the point where I want some things I know I can count on.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

David King, during the season and in recent days, described Ratten's game plan as "fraudulent"

One thing I can count on is that Lyon's game plan, whatever it is, will not be fraudulent

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cats offered him a role to join coaching ranks too
So
Blues
Bombers
Cats
All sounded him out
IF he re joins Saints think we know his qualities
Bassatt and Lethers were clear in the presser…,any new coach will come with weakness…they need to support them there…that to me is a strong indicator they know with Ross what they’re buying and what they need to wrap around him to succeed
Walsh won’t take any Shyte off Lyon also….so I feel confident we have the mitigating plans in place to keep Roscoe honest.

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

I think you're right Curly, Ross Lyon is certainly held in very high regard in the industry and it was just his sheer arrogance in refusing to go through "the process" and submit a case for his selection that prevented him from getting the role at the clubs you mentioned.

He certainly represents the hard nut, strict disciplinarian, clear direction coach the Board appears to be seeking, would probably get the nod from Geoff Walsh (he will have the strongest voice) and with a overall 54.6% of wins ranks with Hardwick and Beveridge of current coaches.

The manner in which he abandoned St Kilda after the 2011 season did him little credit and caused many supporters to judge him harshly - I recall that after the 2010 GF replay thinking that he is not a premiership coach, lacks the tactical edge that saw him out-coached in 2009 by Bomber Thompson and in 2010 Mick Malthouse. Following that, in 2013 he was outclassed by Alastair Clarkson in a close game.

So the $64 million question is, has Ross Lyon learnt from these experiences??? His overall arrogant nature suggests he is incapable of changing his autocratic style, which I'm quite sure was a major factor when Fremantle decided to give him the boot, especially as in the last 4 years of his stint he achieved a very poor 33.475% win loss record with the Dockers.

It is that last stat that I hope the powers that be at Moorabbin ask him to explain in full if it gets to the point where he is given serious consideration for the top job, because in his first 4 years there he achieved a very impressive 70.1% before falling off the cliff.

I'm not going to express an opinion about Lyon right now, he remains a polarising individual for myself and many other supporters and at the end of the day if the club in its infinite wisdom decides to give it to him so be it, life goes on and it's not worth getting my knickers in a knot over it.

The fact that past players are pitching for their old coach is a major concern and I hope that director Jason Blake acts responsibly in dealing with all the pressure his former team mates may subject him to.

My fervent wish is that the club puts a strong deal and case to persuade Luke Beveridge to skip his last year at Whitten Oval and return to the hallowed turf at Linton Street where he played the last 4 of his 11 seasons of senior football, and where his old man John Beveridge started his off-field career in 1965 that lasted over 40 years!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:08pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 2:23pm If we can land Lyon it will be a huge win. Ross was heavily chased by Collingwood Carlton Essendon amongst others.

The media ? Yes they do.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:08pm

The media ? Yes they do.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I also like the fact that Lyon won't take any crap from the media. They can't push him around or disrespect him, or he'll eat them for breakfast.

The media love heaping the turds on StKilda. Much harder to do with R.Lyon at the helm.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Is the last word missing from the thread title? Pulled by moderators?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy with Beveridge, too. But I haven't really given it much thought because I can't see him breaking his contract at The Bulldogs

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:21pm I think you're right Curly, Ross Lyon is certainly held in very high regard in the industry and it was just his sheer arrogance in refusing to go through "the process" and submit a case for his selection that prevented him from getting the role at the clubs you mentioned.

He certainly represents the hard nut, strict disciplinarian, clear direction coach the Board appears to be seeking, would probably get the nod from Geoff Walsh (he will have the strongest voice) and with a overall 54.6% of wins ranks with Hardwick and Beveridge of current coaches.

The manner in which he abandoned St Kilda after the 2011 season did him little credit and caused many supporters to judge him harshly - I recall that after the 2010 GF replay thinking that he is not a premiership coach, lacks the tactical edge that saw him out-coached in 2009 by Bomber Thompson and in 2010 Mick Malthouse. Following that, in 2013 he was outclassed by Alastair Clarkson in a close game.

So the $64 million question is, has Ross Lyon learnt from these experiences??? His overall arrogant nature suggests he is incapable of changing his autocratic style, which I'm quite sure was a major factor when Fremantle decided to give him the boot, especially as in the last 4 years of his stint he achieved a very poor 33.475% win loss record with the Dockers.

It is that last stat that I hope the powers that be at Moorabbin ask him to explain in full if it gets to the point where he is given serious consideration for the top job, because in his first 4 years there he achieved a very impressive 70.1% before falling off the cliff.

I'm not going to express an opinion about Lyon right now, he remains a polarising individual for myself and many other supporters and at the end of the day if the club in its infinite wisdom decides to give it to him so be it, life goes on and it's not worth getting my knickers in a knot over it.

The fact that past players are pitching for their old coach is a major concern and I hope that director Jason Blake acts responsibly in dealing with all the pressure his former team mates may subject him to.

My fervent wish is that the club puts a strong deal and case to persuade Luke Beveridge to skip his last year at Whitten Oval and return to the hallowed turf at Linton Street where he played the last 4 of his 11 seasons of senior football, and where his old man John Beveridge started his off-field career in 1965 that lasted over 40 years!
How bizarre
The king of “it’s all the list not the coach”….after club sacks the coach….? Conveniently IGNORES the fact that by the end of tenure at Freo he was bringing through kids - Serong, Brayshaw didn’t start under Mark Harvey?
What happened to your “it’s not the coach it’s the list at his disposal” argument in that instance?????? Or you decide that doesn’t apply to Lyon cause you don’t like him?
You also, along with many others who choose to purely get their opinions from the Herald Sun, don’t like how Lyon left us - fair enough, but again, in the interests of the full story, neglect to put some of that blame on the way our club (and dead shyte Nettlefold) handed Lyons contract negotiations by trying to low ball him on a deal ??? The players know the full story - it’s why they weren’t p!ssed at Lyon.
The funniest thing from your post is your hope that Blake keeps an eye on all these ex Saints players who, mysteriously are saying we’d have rocks in our heads not to appoint Lyon - who would have a better view than them??
Oh and for hood measure ….Pavlich has named Lyon best coach he’s ever had…
Think you just need to put the hate aside and try be a little objective

“Yeah….nah””
diddley
Club Player

My question now is, and this one is just as important to me, is who are they going to bring in for the forwards coach?
No good having a “quality” head coach, if the forwards can’t get firing like they should.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Does Ross even want to coach?

Has had plenty of opportunities which he seems to turn down pretty quick. I think maybe he just likes the attention.

Also, why would he leave his cushy media gigs for coaching and everything that comes with it?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:06pm Does Ross even want to coach?

Has had plenty of opportunities which he seems to turn down pretty quick. I think maybe he just likes the attention.

Also, why would he leave his cushy media gigs for coaching and everything that comes with it?
I can think of 5 million reasons!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He wants to coach. Didn't he say (about us) "I'd be happy to take their call"?

That's Ross Lyon's way of saying "I'm very interested"

He'a had a break, he's refreshed, and he has his man Lenny Hayes waiting for him at Moorabbin.

Rocket
Club Player

5 year, 5 million deal is done … announced back end of week

Great result

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:50pm
How bizarre
The king of “it’s all the list not the coach”….after club sacks the coach….? Conveniently IGNORES the fact that by the end of tenure at Freo he was bringing through kids - Serong, Brayshaw didn’t start under Mark Harvey?
What happened to your “it’s not the coach it’s the list at his disposal” argument in that instance?????? Or you decide that doesn’t apply to Lyon cause you don’t like him?
You also, along with many others who choose to purely get their opinions from the Herald Sun, don’t like how Lyon left us - fair enough, but again, in the interests of the full story, neglect to put some of that blame on the way our club (and dead shyte Nettlefold) handed Lyons contract negotiations by trying to low ball him on a deal ??? The players know the full story - it’s why they weren’t p!ssed at Lyon.
The funniest thing from your post is your hope that Blake keeps an eye on all these ex Saints players who, mysteriously are saying we’d have rocks in our heads not to appoint Lyon - who would have a better view than them??
Oh and for hood measure ….Pavlich has named Lyon best coach he’s ever had…
Think you just need to put the hate aside and try be a little objective
You're wrong, I've never argued that Ratten had ever proved that he was a good coach, just the inconsistency of you and others not acknowledging that Ratten could coach when the team had won 8 from 11 at the half-way mark, before they fell of the cliff.

Your allegation that I get my opinions from the Herald Sun, or any other media for that matter is a bloody insult - I have always made up my mind on matters St Kilda based on my own research and consider Mark Robinson in particular, as well as some on Fox Sports, lack total objectivity in their analysis, and mostly disagree with much of their commentary.

Your quote of Matthew Pavlich raving about Ross Lyon as his best coach ever is no different to what Riewoldt, Goddard and other past players say about Lyon - when has any star player in a successful team ever bagged his former coach??? Doesn't happen.....

When Lyon arrived at the Dockers in 2012 he inherited a pretty healthy list from Mark Harvey, and at the time the Freo Board had decided Harvey wasn't the man to take them all the way, and yes, Ross did take them to a GF in his 2nd year. But in Lyon's last 4 seasons at Freo he had the following success rate:

2016: 18.2% - finished 16th
2017: 36.4% - 14th
2018: 36.4% - 14th
2019: 42.9% - 13th

What all this suggests to me is that all Lyon has ever proved is that he is great when he has a strong list, but is incapable of building an average list into a successful team. Nor has he ever proven that he can win a premiership.....

I stick by my hope that past players seeking to persuade the club to appoint any former coach who they love or admire to fill the vacancy at their old club - any independent-minded director with a clear understanding of their responsibilities should reject that sort of bias!

Contrary to your assertion that I HATE - I've had a long and successful life and I can assure you that hatefulness is not in my nature, not even towards people online who piss me off!
Last edited by Sanctorum on Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:27pm 5 year, 5 million deal is done … announced back end of week

Great result
Geez good news but what’s that leave us soft cap wise to fill the gaps (aka Lyon on re it’d saying if he coaches again he wants a dedicated attack coach ..) just hope we got some coin to afford one..

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It's like taking back an ex-wife after she cheated on you and was seduced by the fella in the next suburb who was flashing his cash but in reality drove a fake ferrari kit car

Must say I feel a little dirty

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Club Player

In 2010, I was invited to a small function run by a bank where Ross Lyon was the guest speaker. He showed footage of the 2009 GF. Not the game but the reaction of broken hearted supporters after the game. I can't recall his exact words but I recall being quite moved by how upset he was for those supporters. He seemed very genuine to me.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:48pm It's like taking back an ex-wife after she cheated on you and was seduced by the fella in the next suburb who was flashing his cash but in reality drove a fake ferrari kit car

Must say I feel a little dirty
You dirty slapper, you. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:26pm He wants to coach. Didn't he say (about us) "I'd be happy to take their call"?

That's Ross Lyon's way of saying "I'm very interested"

He'a had a break, he's refreshed, and he has his man Lenny Hayes waiting for him at Moorabbin.
He’s said the same thing about every coaching job that’s popped up since he left Freo.

Maybe he just likes everyone chasing him and pumping up his tyres?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Like a flirty old tart at the local pub?