Welcome Olli Hotton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Welcome Olli Hotton

Has anyone looked at this kid's highlight reel?

I know a highlight reel can be a bit misleading in defining worth, but this kid looks like a jet.

Fast, evasive, good mark and kicks goals. Exciting.

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Welcome Olli Hotten

Looks good. Highlight reels normally do!!

Looks like could be a Membrey type. Very handy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I agree with another poster in another thread where they saw a comparison to Sinclair. He looks a ripper.

Both Phillipou & Hotton had fathers with short AFL careers, I do hope the next generation, Matheus & Oli, have exceptional 200+ game careers.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

olli olli olli oi oi oi

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

HOTTON!
I’m just glad we didn’t draft Jhy Clarke.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think I’m going to call this early…

Will be the pick of the bunch and in hindsight an absolute steal at where we got him.

Hotten wasn’t one that I followed pre-draft but geeez this kid looks like a silky explosive, bull of a midfielder. Oozes class.
IMO an incredibly impressive highlights team that sees him showcase elite skill.

If he has a good head on his shoulders, then IMO the sky is the limit.

Hopefully the develop him as a mid
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 30 Nov 2022 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ball hunter with wheels. Welcome Olli. Congratulations.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SNAPSHOT: “An athletically gifted mid-forward who has improved as the season’s gone on, Hotton’s impact on games became increasingly impressive with more midfield minutes each week.”
Improving more and more with each game, Olli Hotton took some time to start delivering consistently on his promise as a prospect, but hardly looked back once he got up and running. Hotton started the season for Sandringham in a predominantly forward role, leaning on his speed and one-touch skills at ground level to outdo opponents and create scoring opportunities.
After strong school footy form with Haileybury College, Hotton’s breakout game came as Vic Metro took on South Australia in the Under 18 National Championships, collecting 24 disposals and booting three goals with an extended run in the midfield. Having taken his chance at representative level, he continued to perform to a high standard in the NAB League en route to premiership success.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Olli Hotton
AFL Draft Profile: Olli Hotton
The Sandringham prospect is a speed machine.

Sandringham Dragons midfield-forward hybrid Olli Hotton is a speed machine that is sure to bring flash and flare to the AFL at this month's National Draft.

The Hampton Rovers product is in the conversation as a consideration for clubs within the first round of the draft, with Hotton's range extending to midway through the following round.

Hotton entered the season as a formidable half-forward option, burning past his opposition to deliver laser-like ball movement in his side's forward third.

After moving into the midfield alongside the likely top 10 prospects Will Ashcroft and Cameron Mackenize, Hotton's stocks ascended along with his ball-winning.

By the end of the year, Hotton had pieced together a strong year with both the Dragons and Vic Metro. The 182cm prospect had a pair of standout performances, collecting 26 disposals and 2 goals against Oakleigh in Round 16, a performance that came weeks after a 24-disposal and 3-goal outing against South Australia.

Hotton's pace was on show throughout the year in the NAB League and at the National Championships, while the talented teenager also impressed AFL scouts at the Draft Combine, posting top scores and times at the standing vertical and 20-metre sprint tests.

Collingwood and Carlton fans would be wishing Hotton's father, Trent, would've extended his AFL career at either club, having amassed 17 matches with the Magpies and 61 with Carlton across a nine-year career.

Hotton could still find himself at Collingwood should the Pies move on the versatile half-forward option with one of their opening two selections, while the Giants, Bulldogs and Hawks are also seen as fitting landing spots for the 18-year-old.

Boasting the ability to play through the middle and as a forward threat, Hotton draws comparisons to Brisbane livewire Zac Bailey.

Position: Forward/Midfielder
State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Sandringham Dragons
Community Club: Hampton Rovers
Date of Birth: 06/09/04
Height: 182cm
Weight: 80kg

Strengths
Speed
Disposal Efficiency
Agility
Versatility

Weaknesses
Inside Game

Draft Range
Late First Round to Early Second Round

Potential Landing Spots
GWS (Picks 15, 18), Collingwood (Picks 16, 25), Western Bulldogs (Pick 21), Hawthorn (Pick 24)

AFL Comparisons
Zac Bailey
Michael Frederick
Sam Wicks

Expert Comments
"Quick and agile forward and midfielder with a very good feel for the game. Has emerged as a real AFL prospect this year. Was outstanding for Victoria Metro in the National Championships and earned All-Australian honours. His performances included a starring effort in the comprehensive win over South Australia, with 24 disposals and three goals." - Kevin Sheehan

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Welcome young man I look forward to seeing what you have to offer & hope you enjoy the ride.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Seems to be the natural replacement for Zak Jones

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If you have a spare 20 mins ... here's a little pre-draft chat/interview.

axcellence
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 11:56am I think I’m going to call this early…

Will be the pick of the bunch and in hindsight an absolute steal at where we got him.

Hotten wasn’t one that I followed pre-draft but geeez this kid looks like a silky explosive, bull of a midfielder. Oozes class.
IMO an incredibly impressive highlights team that sees him showcase elite skill.

All the recruits look good. But, I agree that Hotton looks the pick of the bunch. That evasive ability is what gets the ball 20-50m further up the ground and that’s what’s important in footy (besides stopping the same).

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Welcome Olli Hotton

Chris Doerre from ESPN TV rated Mattaes Phillipou as #2 in his draft rankings in both October and November. I'll re-post what he said on this thread as I'm just so wrapped that he slipped down to pick 10:

"2. Mattaes Phillipou (SANFL - Woodville-West Torrens)

The son of Sam, Mattaes is a 192cm, dual position impact player who is arguably this year's most damaging prospect through the midfield and up forward.

As a forward, Phillipou hits the scoreboard at will, sets up teammates inside 50 with precise entry kicks, is a strong overhead mark, powerful ground ball winner and uses his pace to create meaningful separation on the lead and kicks goals on the burst.

Through the midfield, Phillipou is a powerful contested ball winner who regularly wins first possession at stoppages and displays a burst of speed and class with ball in hand. Phillipou's most influential performance this year came for South Australia during the Under-18 Championships against the Allies where he amassed 24 disposals, 17 contested possessions, six marks (one contested), five clearances, two goals and two score assists. The same dominant football was played by Phillipou against Victoria Metro where he was the most influential player early and picked up nine disposals in the first 15 minutes of play before leaving the field under serious duress and requiring treatment on his lower back.

Phillipou was a star performer in the SANFL this year with averages of 33 disposals, 8.3 inside 50s and 3.3 shots on goal over his last four SANFL Under-18 matches, and in his final SANFL Reserves match kicked a game-high three goals. With a December 27th birthday, Phillipou qualifies for this year's draft as one of its youngest. With his performances on the board, mix of attributes, influence on games across multiple positions, rapid rate of improvement and very late-year birthday, Phillipou arguably possesses the highest ceiling in this year's draft.

Phillipou at No. 2 is a decision unique to this draft board."

Olli Hotton's rating as follows:

" 17. Olli Hotton (NAB League - Sandringham Dragons)

The son of former Collingwood and Carlton key forward Trent Hotton, Olli is a talented small forward.

A speedy and high leaping forward, Hotton is talented both aerially and as a ground level threat inside 50m. Up forward he can play taller than his height due to not just his leap but strong overhead marking, smart bodywork, one-on-one strength, and early reading of the drop of the ball. Hotton is also a lively ground ball winner inside 50m and displays excellent instincts around goal, needing little more than a small glimpse before he can swiftly get the ball onto his boot and finish.

While best known for his work as a forward, Hotton displays the versatility to play through the midfield and in defence. As a midfielder, he wins first possession at stoppages and is often found winning or receiving the ball on the move. His ball use by foot with the vision he displays and the smart, well-placed kicks for forward 50m targets to lead onto is exceptional. While in defence, Hotton is just as capable, displaying a great balance between intercepting, sound one-on-one defence and generating drive from the back half with his run and work by foot.

Much like most of the Victorian contingent, Hotton has improved over the course of the season and bolted up draft boards on the back of a strong Under-18 Championships, highlighted by 24 disposals, 10 contested possessions, six inside 50m and three goals for Victoria Metro against South Australia."

We'll have to wait and see if these two live up to their expectations, but I'm inclined to believe they will. If so, the 2022 NAB Draft will go down as one of the best ever for St Kilda because as we all know, St Kilda recruting teams have made some really poor, awful, selections in the past 15 years, starting with David Armitage at pick 9 in 2007 ahead of Jack Riewoldt who was picked up by Richmnod at pick 13!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Another brilliant pickup by the club & I think the Zac Bailey likeness is pretty good. He is remarkably good over head for a player of his size.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This was the "Ben Long" pick, what are people thinking now?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 4:39pm This was the "Ben Long" pick, what are people thinking now?
This could be a significant upgrade. Ben Long underperformed at the Saints. Had 2 or 3 really good games in 5 years which isn't enough.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GC need a new list manager.

Incompetent.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
StPeter
Club Player

Looks a steal at pick 35.

Maybe in the Sinclair mold which would be fantastic!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 9:39am Has anyone looked at this kid's highlight reel?

I know a highlight reel can be a bit misleading in defining worth, but this kid looks like a jet.

Fast, evasive, good mark and kicks goals. Exciting.

Whilst i've never known anyone to put up a players lowlight reel, his Highlights are good.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I missed the live draft, so just watching the replay on Kayo.

The cameras panned to the St Kilda brains trust just after Olli’s name was read out

I saw Ross Lyon grabbing drinks out of the fridge and handing one to Gubby. Incidentally, I think Gubby was standing pretty close to the little bar fridge and Ross was sitting down at the table with the list manager most of the time

Is that ‘Ross The Boss’ showing respect to the real boss at St Kilda?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 8:46am I missed the live draft, so just watching the replay on Kayo.

The cameras panned to the St Kilda brains trust just after Olli’s name was read out

I saw Ross Lyon grabbing drinks out of the fridge and handing one to Gubby. Incidentally, I think Gubby was standing pretty close to the little bar fridge and Ross was sitting down at the table with the list manager most of the time

Is that ‘Ross The Boss’ showing respect to the real boss at St Kilda?
I saw that and thought he was opening a cupboard and our new draftee was going to pop out.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 1:09pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 11:56am I think I’m going to call this early…

All the recruits look good. But, I agree that Hotton looks the pick of the bunch. That evasive ability is what gets the ball 20-50m further up the ground and that’s what’s important in footy (besides stopping the same).
Fingers crossed he makes it but he was pick 35 which is historically the worst top 50 pick .

In red white and black from 73
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Contested ball winning ability with the leg speed to run away with it and a fair chance of hitting the scoreboard in damaging areas within 50.