Injury updare 21 Feb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Injury updare 21 Feb

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1273250/ ... k-in-rehab

"Key forwards Max King (shoulder), Jack Hayes (foot) and Isaac Keeler (knee) are anticipated to return after Round 6, with the former to be eased into contact training within the month.

Keeler has continued to build his running loads after a tendon strain last January, while Hayes has taken part in light strength work as he closes in on a return in the coming weeks.

Matthew Allison’s foot injury will see him out of action until at least the bye, while Category B Rookie Angus McLennan will join fellow draftee Olli Hotton on the sidelines for the same amount of time with a back stress fracture.

Finally, ruckman Tom Campbell has overcome an Achilles flare-up in time for Friday’s match simulation against Melbourne."

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Injury updare 21 Feb

Add Jones out with an achillies injury. Unfortunately, the injured/managed list continues to grow. There is a fine line between being fit and well prepared and over training. I wonder if we have tipped over level with our training loads?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Most of the injuries above are not soft tissue. There is an element of luck to it.

I dont think we have major injury concerns, the only real issue is they all play the same position.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 11:30pm Most of the injuries above are not soft tissue. There is an element of luck to it.

I dont think we have major injury concerns, the only real issue is they all play the same position.
Back stress fractures, foot stress fractures and achilles inflammation/flaring up are signs of a workload being too heavy though. King, Membrey and Keeler were impact injuries, the others seem to be from going too hard, too soon.

axcellence
Club Player

Even with impact injuries, fatigue plays a part.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No Jones or DMac does take away some hard outside running linkup from the team, and we missed them a bit last season. It may be an issue this season as I don't think we have a lot of pace around the ground.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Jones is chronically injured unfortunately so hard to blame pre season on his injury

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 7:37am No Jones or DMac does take away some hard outside running linkup from the team, and we missed them a bit last season. It may be an issue this season as I don't think we have a lot of pace around the ground.
Interesting point on Dmac, he wasn't mentioned in the article at all. I've not heard much about his injury at all. Can anyone shed some light on what it is and how long? He is an important role player for us.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

DMac is struggling with a calf injury

Sanctorum
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 10:18pm Add Jones out with an achillies injury. Unfortunately, the injured/managed list continues to grow. There is a fine line between being fit and well prepared and over training. I wonder if we have tipped over level with our training loads?
I'm not sure if these soft-tissue strains are the result of training overload dictated by the fitness staff or coaches - my belief is that a professional footballer needs to accept responsibility for his own personal conditioning, he knows his body better than anyone and should always exercise within his limitations.

Zak Jones has had a long history of soft-tissue injuries going back to his days as a Swan, it is hard to believe that he and his trainers have not come up with a programme by now to avoid recurring injury.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

So we've had a couple of cooked gooses from the Swans. We might need to send our boys to doctors in Sydney for pre-recruitment checks. Hannerbery and Jones and after years of supporting McCartin he plays at CHB for bickies and milk in his best ever season. Incomprehensible!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of gooses and Swans. We all know the phrase; “a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush”…right?

We owned McCartin right? He was going to be loyal to us if we kept him and he would have played for far less than his previous contracts right?

We had that bird.

We had McCartin and many pondered whether we should retain him and try him in defence. Personally I was against it, but not because I had advanced knowledge regarding his medical condition or I totally had written him off as a talented footballer. I was just pissed off that our gamble on him instead of Petracca didn’t work out.

It was a dumb decision to delist him. Chalk that down as another Lethleanism

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 4:37pm Speaking of gooses and Swans. We all know the phrase; “a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush”…right?

We owned McCartin right? He was going to be loyal to us if we kept him and he would have played for far less than his previous contracts right?

We had that bird.

We had McCartin and many pondered whether we should retain him and try him in defence. Personally I was against it, but not because I had advanced knowledge regarding his medical condition or I totally had written him off as a talented footballer. I was just pissed off that our gamble on him instead of Petracca didn’t work out.

It was a dumb decision to delist him. Chalk that down as another Lethleanism
Maybe chalk it down to covid. He was still training with us before we left for Noosa.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 6:57pm https://www.saints.com.au/news/1273250/ ... k-in-rehab

"..Max King.., Jack Hayes ... return after Round 6, with the former to be eased into contact training within the month.
..return AFTER Round Six?

...Max will be eased into contact training WITHIN a month?

Two layers of guesswork..

What that means??

a) Round Seven : Will run out on to the field, play a full game at full tilt?

Vs

b) Round Ten: Plays of the bench, goes off at 3/4 time. Hamstring awareness for a full month after that.until Round 14. Round 17, can give it the after burners?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 6:35pm
saynta wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 6:57pm https://www.saints.com.au/news/1273250/ ... k-in-rehab

"..Max King.., Jack Hayes ... return after Round 6, with the former to be eased into contact training within the month.
..return AFTER Round Six?

...Max will be eased into contact training WITHIN a month?

Two layers of guesswork..

What that means??

a) Round Seven : Will run out on to the field, play a full game at full tilt?

Vs

b) Round Ten: Plays of the bench, goes off at 3/4 time. Hamstring awareness for a full month after that.until Round 14. Round 17, can give it the after burners?
King is already training as has been for ages - since just after he got the injury. He had been doing a lot of running while the others were training and he was doing goal kicking practice. He has been doing all the work he can apart from the drills and contact training/match simulation stuff.
I would bank on him coming back at the "sooner" rather than "later" end of the spectrum.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Tdog

Any more news on Dmac? I wish the club would give us more info on such an important player

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tdog wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 12:17pm Any more news on Dmac? I wish the club would give us more info on such an important player
I think he may have re-injured his calf