King and Caminiti

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

King and Caminiti

King and Caminiti might work well together. With Members. Hayes on the bench. Forward and ruck relief. But I still hope Sharman makes it as Members not getting any younger.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: King and Caminiti

We definitely need another strong marking foil for King

Caminiti is big, strong and a good enough mark to be that Darling 2nd forward kind of player.

To ease that pressure off King :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Stian
Club Player

Yes, sounds OK. But why do we think that Caminiti would be a better option for that role than Sharman?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Caminiti has gone past Sharman according to some opinions on various threads

Don't know how they've come to that conclusion when Caminiti hasn't played a game of AFL yet

I'd rather play Sharman because I think he's a better footballer. Caminiti is just better athletically

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

They are different type of players.

Also, Sharman played 3 good games 2 years ago and hasn't shown anything since. I'll be a believer when I see it, but I haven't seen it yet.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti and Sharman aren't competing for the same spot. They are both depth.
Sharman has been surpassed by Cordy. Because he should be.

Club Player

Yeah not really saying Caminiti has gone past Sharman. Just a poser with the hope they both make it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The fact Caminiti was picked up only a few weeks ago and played ahead of Sharman against the Dons probably suggests Sharman will spend most of the year at Sandy developing. I could be wrong but he's way off the pace.

Camaniti will probably only get a look in for R1 if Members doesn't come up but even then who knows.

spert
Saintsational Legend

From what I've seen so far, Caminiti is a raw young talent with a lot of promise, who needs to spend a year at Sandy

BadRossco
Club Player

By the end of the season Keeler may have gone past Corey, Caminiti and Sharman. He could also be a better backup ruckman

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Caminiti is light for his height, as he is super, super lean ... he is strong already, but realises that he would would benefit from some extra kgs. He would be putting in the extra gym time.

From what I've seen, he has footy nous, is very competitive in the air, quite quick, very brave and he goes in hard.

Ready to go, in my books.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 8:55am Caminiti is light for his height, as he is super, super lean ... he is strong already, but realises that he would would benefit from some extra kgs. He would be putting in the extra gym time.

From what I've seen, he has footy nous, is very competitive in the air, quite quick, very brave and he goes in hard.

Ready to go, in my books.
In the very small sample size so far Caminiti looks like he's got some tools at ground level. In the past we've heard a lot about Sharman being a natural forward with great running patterns and being a lovely mark and kick, but it's not nearly enough at AFL level. Especially with regards to being able to use great running patterns as it assumes there is space on an AFL field to run into on a regular basis and that just isn't the case. Great running patterns are almost a part of the 90s game, even in Roos era it was hard for him to find space deep in F50 which is why his number one wood become endurance and trying to find a mark well outside F50, or running back hard into F50 after taking the defender to the wing. Roo was a rare beast though and had an incredible athletic profile he could exploit, something Sharman does not possess and time will tell how Caminiti goes in that regard also. The search for the third tall is at least now a competition in 2023.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Let's not forget about Keeler, he has the ability to fill the perfect tall forward/ruck option.

If all of Caminiti, Keeler, Adams & Van Es make it we will have a ripping spine with King at FF.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I believe Caminiti should be in for round 1, regardless whether Membrey is in or not.
The boss wants someone to compete aggressively in the air and at ground level, the kid can do that, plus there’s Owens to do likewise.
It’ll be a while before we get king and Hayes back, so we need to be a little creative.
Phillipou will provide another aerial threat, with the smalls hopefully getting some opportunities.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2023 6:17pm They are different type of players.

Also, Sharman played 3 good games 2 years ago and hasn't shown anything since. I'll be a believer when I see it, but I haven't seen it yet.
Last year Sharman played some good games in defence and there's the small matter of him winning us the game against Geelong. In that game he beat Tom Stewart hands down. Although he may still have things to learn, he can play.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 10:05am I believe Caminiti should be in for round 1, regardless whether Membrey is in or not.
The boss wants someone to compete aggressively in the air and at ground level, the kid can do that, plus there’s Owens to do likewise.
It’ll be a while before we get king and Hayes back, so we need to be a little creative.
Phillipou will provide another aerial threat, with the smalls hopefully getting some opportunities.
Yes it's the aggressive component as much as anything that has probably put Caminiti ahead of Sharman, you are going to need to that quality in spades to be in a Lyon team, if I remember correctly, "competitive beast" were words spoken by Lyon very regularly in his past coaching stints.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 11:18am

Last year Sharman played some good games in defence and there's the small matter of him winning us the game against Geelong. In that game he beat Tom Stewart hands down. Although he may still have things to learn, he can play.
That's a considerable exaggeration, some of Sharman's contests on Stewart in that game were overblown a little too, Stewarts stats were still in the mid 20s. It also neglects the performances from some other lesser knowns in the team that no one saw coming, and especially Geelong didn't see coming, namely the game from Windy.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

This thread is about King and Caminiti.
But re: Sharman ... he has put on 5kgs probably and has worked hard on his endurance.
Still only 22.
Nice kick for goal.
Can be very damaging with only 4 or 5 inside 50 possessions.
Stewart would vouch for that.

Lockett averaged under 10 possies, probably?
I am not comparing, of course ... just saying.

Tracking okay, I would say.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sharman was never recruited to play key position.
He is a utility.
He couldn't compete on the same terms as Caminiti who is 198cm.

What he has done is prove he can mark and kick.
He has also made selection for defence and was improving in those skills every game he played.

He has had one full pre-season in a system that didn't recruit him and recruited, Cordy, a 100+ game utility, with a premiership medal, now that Battle, another utility, has settled into a key defence role. Previously, we recruited Hayes.
With King and Membrey the only proven tall forwards, Sharman is not ready to play along side these two, Battle and Cordy are.
None the less, his running patterns, as a third tall and his development in endurance, have actually been prominent in his first serious pre-seasons training.
Many who have attended have reported this constantly.
He has trained forward, back, in the ruck and on the outside of as a reciever/pivot. The intent is clear.
He is not behind Caminiti. He is behind Hayes and Cordy. He is in good company though. Wilkie, Battle, Cordy, Membrey, Hayes, Owens and Sharman.
Utilities. All good footballers, with various deficiencies. Sharman is probably the in the top 3 natural ballers on the list. It will be an interesting year, if he manages 3 or 4 goals a game, in the VFL.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 11:36am

That's a considerable exaggeration, some of Sharman's contests on Stewart in that game were overblown a little too, Stewarts stats were still in the mid 20s. It also neglects the performances from some other lesser knowns in the team that no one saw coming, and especially Geelong didn't see coming, namely the game from Windy.
He completely nullified Stewart who had no influence on the game, in fact he aerially dominated Stewart. This had the effect of removing Geelong's brickwall defence and allowing King to dominate.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 3:00pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 11:36am

He completely nullified Stewart who had no influence on the game, in fact he aerially dominated Stewart. This had the effect of removing Geelong's brickwall defence and allowing King to dominate.
I think Tom Stewart had 26 disposal in that game, I'd be happy if players in our backline get dominated that much.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 08 Mar 2023 2:45pm Sharman was never recruited to play key position.
He is a utility.
He couldn't compete on the same terms as Caminiti who is 198cm.
Thanks, I think this sums up my viewpoint too.

Sharman taking the 3rd defender would be a huge handful for the opposition, his read of the play and marking abiility is certainly there, but place him at FF and he'll be a sitting duck. His time in defense last year will have him in good stead.

Caminiti will be able to hold his own and at the very least bring the ball to ground for the smalls or a stoppage. Cordy as the alternative in this role, and can take a few stoppages from Ro.

A fit Hayes and King will see Caminiti in the VFL (for now), and a fit Membrey will see Sharman in the VFL unless there's another role for him.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

From Saints web page.

Anthony Caminiti.
KEY FORWARD
19 yo -196cm - 85kg

Cooper Sharman
KEY FORWARD
22 yo -193cm - 88kg

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Those stats come from their draft profile. Not the club.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

To put the two in the same heading is, putting it gently, fanciful.
Anthony has not played any AFL game. He has not kicked one AFL goal. I hope he can average 1 a game when he gets an opportunity. But he is going to find it tough early. See Bulldogs player with the hyphenated name. King is a star. Sharman has street cred. Has played, has goaled. Both can only marvel at Max.