Pies are well ...beatable .

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Pies are well ...beatable .

Who would have thought .

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Pies are well ...beatable .

They just kicked 3 of the last 4 goals in that 3rd qtr.
I'm hoping they're battered and can't get up for our game

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
nobhead
Club Player

Don't reckon they are playing any better than we are.tbh

nobhead
Club Player

Don't reckon they are playing any better than we are.tbh

Moods
Saintsational Legend

They’re playing interstate against a team with a 90% homeground record and they haven’t got a recognised Ruckman in their team. I actually reckon they’re going okay considering. I’m not saying they’re not beatable but without a Ruckman it’s tough. Sometimes it’s not how many players you lose, but who you lose.

King Max
Club Player

There’s only 1 team left with a 100% record.

happy feet
Club Player

The Skunks don’t travel much, so when they’re away from the MCG they struggle. Poor kicking tonight has cost them the game.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Lions are a good side. A number of top end talents.

If a side can make Pies fumble they can beat them. Their running lines break down as soon as the opposition can get a turnover.

Ashcroft is a worthy #1 pick. Very talented.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Lions struggle away from home

Pies struggle away from MCG??

Doubtful but was hoping for an unbeaten top of the table clash in Adelaide

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Crossy66
Club Player

In the first QTR, I was impressed with their leg speed. Made me think RTB, might roll the dice with Peris next week.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Not having a ruckman cost them big time. They through everyone into the midfield at times and still couldn't stop the bleeding. If Marshall can dominate and we can stop their run and link up play (similarly to Brisbane) we will be a chance. We don't quite have the forward weapons of Brisbane but if we can lock it in the F50, we could just scratch out a win.

If I was McRae I'd look to play Frampton or Moore full time ruck against Marshall, McStay gave them very little. Plus they could afford to go a bit shorter in defence against us, with their solid defence.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:33am Not having a ruckman cost them big time. They through everyone into the midfield at times and still couldn't stop the bleeding. If Marshall can dominate and we can stop their run and link up play (similarly to Brisbane) we will be a chance. We don't quite have the forward weapons of Brisbane but if we can lock it in the F50, we could just scratch out a win.

If I was McRae I'd look to play Frampton or Moore full time ruck against Marshall, McStay gave them very little. Plus they could afford to go a bit shorter in defence against us, with their solid defence.
Not having a ruck is huge. The flow on effect of having to put McStay in the ruck means that the forward line is down a genuine target as well. You'd have an even more severe flow on effect by taking Moore out of defence and playing him in the ruck. Agree that Frampton probably seems like their best bet for the sake of having a big guy try to half contests without ruining their defence or forward line. Here's hoping they persevere with McStay.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:33am Not having a ruckman cost them big time. They through everyone into the midfield at times and still couldn't stop the bleeding. If Marshall can dominate and we can stop their run and link up play (similarly to Brisbane) we will be a chance. We don't quite have the forward weapons of Brisbane but if we can lock it in the F50, we could just scratch out a win.

They sold Grundy. Ummm.
Billy Longer, give the Pies a call.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we win at stoppages and win contested footy, we can beat them. Don't give them an inch on the inside.

Anyhoo... bit early to be thinking about Round 5. The team has a job to do this week.

I'd love to see Bytel working his way back into form against the Suns and then he along with Crouch, Windy and the big boys (Marshall and Owens) need to beat up on those Pies

Kick them while they're down. They won't have Crisp next week if he's suspended by the AFL and they will start doubting themselves a little after a comprehensive loss last night

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 11:31pm Lions struggle away from home

Pies struggle away from MCG??

Doubtful but was hoping for an unbeaten top of the table clash in Adelaide
It's not doubtful, it's impossible, for Collingwood. We may very well be unbeaten and on top.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

The Pies have a v.good well drilled midfield, but the Lions took them out of the clearances with a simple tactic. The Big O did a Clark Keating and punched the taps forward outside the usual drop zone. Worked well.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:10am In the first QTR, I was impressed with their leg speed. Made me think RTB, might roll the dice with Peris next week.
Peris is way off the pace. Looks average at VFL level.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Pies clearly have a soft underbelly: when they can't get their running game going properly, they seem almost to panic and look like they could potentially go completely to pieces. They don't have a lot of scrappers in their side: Sidebottom and Pendlebury of course, but many of the others are downhill skiers.

However, I'm not sure that the Saints, in our injury-riddled state, have the capability to exploit those weaknesses in the way that the Lions demonstrated so well last night. If only Steele was fit...sigh.

Anyway, if we can get past the Suns, the Adelaide game will be quite an event!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Win the contested ball and you can beat Collingwood. They take massive risks during contests to get a run on, but expose themselves if the ball is not won.

Ball winners in tight space will be the key.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Great to see the skunks go down, not having a ruck was going to bite them in the arse sooner or later

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 10:57am Great to see the skunks go down, not having a ruck was going to bite them in the arse sooner or later
8-) :lol: :D :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The TV commentary was sick making.

"Melbourne Demons great Brad Green was among those to slam Taylor on social media.

“Brisbane have played well tonight, not that you would’ve heard from CH 7 commentary. All they talk about is Collingwood. Understand they are a big club, but two sides are playing,” he posted on Twitter.

Footy journalist Marc McGowan wrote: “Can’t we just watch the game without BT telling us every second minute how close Collingwood is to getting back into this”.

George27
Club Player

Charlie Cameron looks good for the 3 votes but, from listening to the Fox coverage , John Denver might snag a vote. “Country Roads” on high rotation after every Cameron goal.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 9:12am The Pies clearly have a soft underbelly: when they can't get their running game going properly, they seem almost to panic and look like they could potentially go completely to pieces. They don't have a lot of scrappers in their side: Sidebottom and Pendlebury of course, but many of the others are downhill skiers.

However, I'm not sure that the Saints, in our injury-riddled state, have the capability to exploit those weaknesses in the way that the Lions demonstrated so well last night. If only Steele was fit...sigh.

Anyway, if we can get past the Suns, the Adelaide game will be quite an event!
Completely disagree. Pies hung in there all night. 2nd quarter was poor but they had more inside 50’s and more scoring shots. Not saying they should have won ( because they weren’t the best team) but they won the first quarter and really just got smashed in the 2nd. That can happen interstate against a top team

Crossy66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 8:21am
Crossy66 wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:10am In the first QTR, I was impressed with their leg speed. Made me think RTB, might roll the dice with Peris next week.
Peris is way off the pace. Looks average at VFL level.
I agree 100%. But RTB has talked him up a few times now and given his limitations I, wondered why. So my conspiracy theory is he maybe setting him for a specific role in a specific game. The pies charge forward with blistering pace and I am not sure we have enough players to go with them.