Ben No, Ah

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ben No, Ah

Can we stop pursuing Ben King and instead pursue Noah Anderson

Noah Anderson 38 disposals, 25 kicks, 13 handballs, 10 tackles, 3 marks, 1 goal, 1 behind, 152 AFL fantasy points
BOG in a losing team.
Ben King 6 disposals, 3 kicks, 3 handballs, 0 tackles, 0 marks, 1 goal, 18 AFL fantasy points
An embarasment to himself and his team, worst on ground.

We have Max King and we other tall forwards coming through,
Like Caminiti who goes for the ball and marks it, or brings the ball down and a pack of defenders with him, he doesn't wait for the ball to come to him and then not take the mark.
Who knows how good Max Heath and Isaac Keeler will be.
We don't need another KIng, we need more elite midfielders.
You can't have enough of them.
If you have too many you put them out on a wing or a half forward flank until you rotate them onto the ball.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben No, Ah

I thought Bing and Ming would make great bookends to our side, but after seeing what Bing put up last night, I wouldn't trust him in D50. Dropped marks, fumbles, missed opportunities.

Would have to pay overs for him, so unless he comes cheap I think we pass.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 9:50am I thought Bing and Ming would make great bookends to our side, but after seeing what Bing put up last night, I wouldn't trust him in D50. Dropped marks, fumbles, missed opportunities.

Would have to pay overs for him, so unless he comes cheap I think we pass.
Coming back from an ACL injury can be a massive confidence downer. I still rate him, but unless he came cheap I think we have other needs. Giving up the farm isn't wise.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He is exactly what we need. Wouldn’t come cheap.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

ace wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 8:09am Can we stop pursuing Ben King and instead pursue Noah Anderson

Noah Anderson 38 disposals, 25 kicks, 13 handballs, 10 tackles, 3 marks, 1 goal, 1 behind, 152 AFL fantasy points
BOG in a losing team.
Ben King 6 disposals, 3 kicks, 3 handballs, 0 tackles, 0 marks, 1 goal, 18 AFL fantasy points
An embarasment to himself and his team, worst on ground.

We have Max King and we other tall forwards coming through,
Like Caminiti who goes for the ball and marks it, or brings the ball down and a pack of defenders with him, he doesn't wait for the ball to come to him and then not take the mark.
Who knows how good Max Heath and Isaac Keeler will be.
We don't need another KIng, we need more elite midfielders.
You can't have enough of them.
If you have too many you put them out on a wing or a half forward flank until you rotate them onto the ball.
I agree 100% ace that there's no need for St Kilda to trade for Ben King when he comes out of contract end of 2024, not so much because he had a shocker last night but with Caminiti just 19 I believe that gives our team another very good tall to partner Max King in the years ahead.

You can, however, forget about lusting after Noah Anderson because he's been signed to end 2027 and if he decides to opt out before that his price tag will be massive.

Besides, there's very much to like about St Kilda's midfield stocks in the coming years with a lot of improvement ahead for Gresham, Stocker, Bytel, Byrnes, Windhager, Owens, Phillipou, Wanganeen-Milera, Peris and Hotton. No doubt if St Kilda becomes a 'destination club' there will likely be some champion mids at other clubs that will want to be at Moorabbin, especially Vics playing interstate.

One that might be worth considering is Darcy Parish who will be on the market as a RFA end of this year.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I was thinking about this last night as well…

Ben King and Connor Rozee are two that have been on the hit list for a long time and to be honest… seems like we need them less and less atm.
That being said… King was always going to be a slow burn on his return (and his value might drop a bit) and Rozee for Gresh type of deal might be interesting if it heads that way

Anderson is a gun no question but if it was up to me… if Freo keep faltering, I’d have a go at trying to pry away Caleb Serong and/or Andrew Brayshaw. Serious additions to our midfield.
Personally…

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Was a ‘no’ when he was up and firing, still a ‘no’ now.

It’s a midfielders game, invest in A grade mids, worth much more than the marketing gimmick having both Kings would be.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 10:59am He is exactly what we need. Wouldn’t come cheap.
Yep..

i would agree, but all of a sudden, maybe the 'The Cam' can!

And if he can, brilliant,

Looking ar Carlton and Geelong (even though the latter's goose may have been a little cooked by now) , it seems that it wouldn't be shocking to notice someday soon, that two super tall forwards might become quite common.

Membrey is almost 30 now? And i still see him as serviceable like a Jack Roiewoldt for a few more years, but as a third.

Would Ben be happy playing with his brother in Melbourne? Who knows, he might play better. But family first, so I think the Gold Coast thing is where his family is happy.

So it is with The CAm...the Camenator (can't spell his name, sorry) we trust.

If Ben is playing badly, somewhere else, it is, sad to say (for him), a good thing for us.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

As has been mentioned, he's come back after a year out with an ACL. He'll improve as time goes on.
I think we need to be patient with Max when he comes back as well, though we actually seem to have a system going forward now that will benefit him.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

the O.P. makes a very good point.

If we had salary cap to throw at anyone in the league, I think son of Saint Noah Anderson would be my choice.

Bing would likely be an excellent pick up under Lyon, but we are looking for elite mids to get us into premiership contention.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Ben King last night showed why we must manage Max King carefully back into the team. Like, boost Sandy's performance for a couple of weeks while he gathers match fitness and form.
Anderson highlights what rubbish the fantasy points are. His team looked winners early in the second quarter but gor flogged by nine goals. Whoo, that hurt us. BOG? My bet would be against him polling a Brownlow vote from the game. Lukocious ripped the Cats apart, last night he came up against Josh Battle. I wonder if he has come out of his hotel room yet.

Saint supporter since '62
SinCitySainter
Club Player

The biggest issue for King last night was the game plan Gold Coast were playing. When they brought the ball in it was bomb to a contest with him and Levi going up together to try to exploit our perceived lack of height. However, what really happened was they got in each others way and made it easier for Howard, Wilkie and Battle to spoil as they rarely got a clean run at it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 12:36pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 10:59am He is exactly what we need. Wouldn’t come cheap.
Yep..

i would agree, but all of a sudden, maybe the 'The Cam' can!

And if he can, brilliant,

Looking ar Carlton and Geelong (even though the latter's goose may have been a little cooked by now) , it seems that it wouldn't be shocking to notice someday soon, that two super tall forwards might become quite common.

Membrey is almost 30 now? And i still see him as serviceable like a Jack Roiewoldt for a few more years, but as a third.

Would Ben be happy playing with his brother in Melbourne? Who knows, he might play better. But family first, so I think the Gold Coast thing is where his family is happy.

So it is with The CAm...the Camenator (can't spell his name, sorry) we trust.

If Ben is playing badly, somewhere else, it is, sad to say (for him), a good thing for us.
C A M I N I T I.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This threads funny
No to Ben King coming off an ACL a year out if the game in a side that at times looked so unstructured I thought cuddles was coaching them…
Let’s hope Ben plays the same all year and GC the sane then at years end Ben says “happy to take a pay cut to play with my bro “
Our forward line with them 2 and Caminiti looks solid for 10 years

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 1:50pm the O.P. makes a very good point.

If we had salary cap to throw at anyone in the league, I think son of Saint Noah Anderson would be my choice.

Bing would likely be an excellent pick up under Lyon, but we are looking for elite mids to get us into premiership contention.
AFAIC. Crouch, Ross and Steele are elite.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:27pm The biggest issue for King last night was the game plan Gold Coast were playing. When they brought the ball in it was bomb to a contest with him and Levi going up together to try to exploit our perceived lack of height. However, what really happened was they got in each others way and made it easier for Howard, Wilkie and Battle to spoil as they rarely got a clean run at it.
I think I heard a commentator suggest Gold Coast had more talent than St Kilda but expected St Kilda to win.
The comes down to game plan and coaching.
Gold Coast is held back by a mediocre coach.
He did nothing but let the game play out.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The AFL have stuffed up massively
They shoulda dangled $$ to Lyon to go GC or GWS …that much talent he’d have moulded them into sides…
Thank the lord the Blues Shiite the bed too !!

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:42pm The AFL have stuffed up massively
They shoulda dangled $$ to Lyon to go GC or GWS …that much talent he’d have moulded them into sides…
Would have been a Blight scenario where the bloke wasn't interested but did it for money. Next minute you've got a Watson as coach and more spoons.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:45pm
Would have been a Blight scenario where the bloke wasn't interested but did it for money. Next minute you've got a Watson as coach and more spoons.
Lol comparing retired Malcolm to a fired up Ross who clearly had the desire to coach after looking at Blues and Dons????
Not even a close comparison
He’d have turned those gimmick clubs into real footy teams
Anyhoo AFL loss..

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 7:01pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:45pm
Lol comparing retired Malcolm to a fired up Ross who clearly had the desire to coach after looking at Blues and Dons????
Not even a close comparison
He’d have turned those gimmick clubs into real footy teams
Anyhoo AFL loss..
Apparently, and according to Caro, Clarkson was keen for the job ...... cue Stewie Dew extension!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:35pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 1:50pm the O.P. makes a very good point.

AFAIC. Crouch, Ross and Steele are elite.

Maybe, but all over 28

Windhager, Phillipou, Owens and Anderson would be a very nice quartet for a decade

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saints58
Club Player

Bing needs to leave GC his development is stifled there I would like to get him to make our team better with our coaches he would flourish, and if one goes down we have the other.
Never knock back a quality player if you can get him especially a KPP we can always get mids not always get bigs who can play.

Crossy66
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:26pm Bing needs to leave GC his development is stifled there I would like to get him to make our team better with our coaches he would flourish, and if one goes down we have the other.
Never knock back a quality player if you can get him especially a KPP we can always get mids not always get bigs who can play.
Agree with this. He and a few others are being ruined on the GC. Hopefully he gets a close look at the supportive environment now at RSEA and wants to buy in. He is and can again be a generational type player in the right environment. Time to come home rather than focussing on the extra bucks on offer to compromise a career

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:56pm
Saints58 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:26pm Bing needs to leave GC his development is stifled there I would like to get him to make our team better with our coaches he would flourish, and if one goes down we have the other.
Agree with this. He and a few others are being ruined on the GC. Hopefully he gets a close look at the supportive environment now at RSEA and wants to buy in. He is and can again be a generational type player in the right environment. Time to come home rather than focussing on the extra bucks on offer to compromise a career
Bang on
He’d complete us up forward- Caminiti plays 3rd tall
Membrey isn’t young anymore
When is his contract up?? Surely he’d take a haircut to play in a top team environment with his brother??
Timing feels right for a Saints recruitment coup !!

“Yeah….nah””
outside66
Club Player

Anderson recently extended until end of 2027 so there’s that.