Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

Massive roadblock erected by interested 'parties' , invested associates, friends, connections, politicians etc., is providing the Victorian clubs who wanna 'c*ck block Tasmania on account of irresponsible fiscal detailing - by not being able to afford a NASA-spec-Cape Cod-Moon-launching-rocket -ship-stadium costing a trillion dollars.

In other words, Gold Coast can continue to drain trillions, Adelaide, West Coast teams could all start with old stadiums no probs..

But oh no.. not TAssie!

TAssie must have a brand new trillion dollar trophy, otherwise 'they can't afford a team' ..

sad

And then the excuse that there are not enough TAssie players running around in AFL now to justify organic growth!!

Meanwhile, Gold Coast, GWS, even WA can merrily drain Vic talents without questions.

Let's set the bar really high for Tassie!!!

Let's give Gold Coast and the others a free ride.

Wow..

The old Anzac spirit is alive and well. Heritage is important isn't it!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania- Why a brand new stadium?

Federal funding should not be given.

If the AFL want the stadium tbey should kick in their own cash. A condition of thier tax free exemption is they must provide the facilities for the sport.

2 perfectly good stadiums that could be utilised.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Why not?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Why can't they just keep using the current stadiums?

I tried to find crowd numbers for last year
But they're not all published on AFL app.
2 games at Blundstone were 8k and 9k, and UTAS was about 10k.

GWS never gets many at their expensive home ground, yet they came in over 10 yrs ago.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Thu 27 Apr 2023 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:49pm Federal funding should not be given.

If the AFL want the stadium tbey should kick in their own cash. A condition of thier tax free exemption is they must provide the facilities for the sport.

Their, FFS. :roll:

And who said the AFL get a tax free exemption?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:54pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:49pm Federal funding should not be given.

Their, FFS. :roll:

And who said the AFL get a tax free exemption?
Have been getting it since 1936, 2 conditions are provide the facilities to allow the sport to play and encourage participation.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 1:52pm
Why not?

Well my view is the AFl are trying their hardest to convince us the stadium is an incredibly good investment with a great ROI.

What confuses me about that claim is, if it's such a great investment, then why isn't the AFL and its partners or the wider business community for that matter tripping over themselves to throw cash at the project?

What's that saying...if it sounds too good to be true it's probably a con...but in this case it's tax payer money being gambled with.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't really give a f*** either way.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I see not much has changed in the past 50 odd years, although "smart arse" has been replaced with "entitled". Sicily was right of course but was made to apologise nevertheless.

Tasmania’s Premier has hit back at criticism from Hawthorn captain James Sicily, declaring the state was united by sledges from “entitled mainlanders”.
Rebecca Williams

April 27, 2023 - 12:33PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

The Australian's Media Writer Sophie Elsworth thinks “there are too many teams” in the AFL following the announcement a stand-alone AFL team in Tasmania is expected to become a reality.

Tasmanian premier Jeremy Rockliff has ignited a Bass Strait battle, taking aim at “entitled mainlanders” following Hawthorn captain James Sicily’s Apple Isle sledge.

In a call to arms, Rockliff declared Tasmania’s “time has come” and the state looked forward to doing its “own talking on the footy field” after Sicily came under fire for disparaging remarks on Wednesday about the southern state.

Sicily issued an apology on social media after suggesting in a radio interview that a 19th team in Tassie could struggle to lure players there, saying “there’s not much happening down there”.

Commenting on a link to a story on Sicily’s comments, Rockliff fired back on Twitter on behalf of Tasmanians after being “spoken down to”.

“Nothing brings Tasmanians together like being spoken down to by entitled mainlanders, ignorant of our beautiful state,” Rockliff wrote on Twitter.

“Looking forward to doing our own talking on the footy field. In our colours, Singing our song.

“Our time has come.”

Earlier, Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell said Sicily “needs to be better” after making disparaging comments about Tasmania that he was forced to apologise for.

Responding to a question about the potential list-build issues for a new Tasmanian team during a

“I spoke to him a few times, he’s got to learn from this,” Mitchell said.

“But by the same token he’s frustrated because it’s not what he meant. It’s not a reflection of his thinking ... but as the captain of the club he needs to be better.

“He was much more talking about his personal situation.”

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Im sorry Vortex but I strongly disagree. The reason the Federal Govt should fund the new stadium is its investing in the states future. Just consider the number of jobs and new industry a stadium and its own AFL team would create for Tasmania/Hobart. A financially stronger Tasmania means a stronger Fed Govt. It could even be a stimulus for Hobart's population growth and the flow on is endless. They might even justify re-establishing their passenger train network.

Tasmania is a great part of Australia, they are a passionate AFL state and after what they have done for the game they deserve their own team, supported by the AFL, the State and Federal Governments. Tasmania has a population of 545,000 thats twice that of the Geelong region and they have their own team and stadium which was state & federally funded. They are very proud of their state so I would expect their membership numbers would be above the per capita ratio of other AFL states.

The stadium would also not just be used for AFL it would give the state a great platform to attract more main stream Australian Cricket games and any other sports and events they want to promote.

I also believe the AFL's long term goal is to continue to grow the competition team numbers with added teams from Adelaide, Perth and possibly Canberra and the NT. Ensure they have a real foot hold on the majority of the Australian sporting landcsape.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 27 Apr 2023 2:49pm, edited 3 times in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Build it, and they will come................

I'm more than happy on the federal government funding a new stadium for a couple of hundred million.

It's an investment in Tasmania, and will bring people into the state. Will be great for the locals

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

It's nothing more than a distraction.
There are real housing issues (from what I see on all news outlets) as well as cost of living issues that are similar to the rest of Oz.

Throwing taxpayer money (our money) at a white elephant won't address the ongoing financial issues.
It's flawed thinking and is purely a way to make money for construction companies and tradies.

Another issue is, it dilutes the talent pool as it's another team dipping into the draft.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

it's and absolute farce as far as I'm concerned. Sicily may be a dumb arse but he's spot on. No kid wants to live in Tassie (well not many) Seaford was bad enough for us. No kid wants to live in Western Sydney. The AFL are grasping at straws here and throwing money away. So is the Fed Government.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 4:40pm it's and absolute farce as far as I'm concerned. Sicily may be a dumb arse but he's spot on. No kid wants to live in Tassie (well not many) Seaford was bad enough for us. No kid wants to live in Western Sydney. The AFL are grasping at straws here and throwing money away. So is the Fed Government.
I couldn't wait to get out of the place but they are entitled to their own team imho.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 3:20pm It's nothing more than a distraction.
There are real housing issues (from what I see on all news outlets) as well as cost of living issues that are similar to the rest of Oz.

Throwing taxpayer money (our money) at a white elephant won't address the ongoing financial issues.
It's flawed thinking and is purely a way to make money for construction companies and tradies.

Another issue is, it dilutes the talent pool as it's another team dipping into the draft.
Eddie McQuire making his Footy Classified staff look like goons, his lackies….never seen Mathew Lloyd look such a puppet telling us about Tassie ‘talent pool’…first time I’ve seen through them.

McQuire may have good intentions at the end of the day, but the way he plays politics is nasty… he’s using his show for that agenda, what bullocks about needing a stadium ..

A stadium is nice, but I see Eddie. His thinking is , ‘if they want it, make ‘em earn it. Take advantage of the situation and the dilemma they face. There is always an opportunity- grab it and squeeze!! ‘

Why no one talks about how west Coast and Adelaide teams and GWS and Gold Coast could start with crummy stadiums is beyond me. The amount of money draining through Gold Coast, already forecasted as high, has blown out way more than that already. But that’s Ok!

One idea (and if this makes no sense, fair enough, it doesn’t take out any of the above) is that games could be shared between north and south for a few years and based on attendances and sponsors and so forth, then gradually assets could be concentrated in one or the other ..use the rivalry for gain but most of all get the thing going.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 4:56pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 3:20pm It's nothing more than a distraction.

Eddie McQuire making his Footy Classified staff look like goons, his lackies….never seen Mathew Lloyd look such a puppet telling us about Tassie ‘talent pool’…first time I’ve seen through them.

McQuire may have good intentions at the end of the day, but the way he plays politics is nasty… he’s using his show for that agenda, what bullocks about needing a stadium ..

A stadium is nice, but I see Eddie. His thinking is , ‘if they want it, make ‘em earn it. Take advantage of the situation and the dilemma they face. There is always an opportunity- grab it and squeeze!! ‘

Why no one talks about how west Coast and Adelaide teams and GWS and Gold Coast could start with crummy stadiums is beyond me. The amount of money draining through Gold Coast, already forecasted as high, has blown out way more than that already. But that’s Ok!

One idea (and if this makes no sense, fair enough, it doesn’t take out any of the above) is that games could be shared between north and south for a few years and based on attendances and sponsors and so forth, then gradually assets could be concentrated in one or the other ..use the rivalry for gain but most of all get the thing going.
Would not work. The Northern parts hate the south and the south just ignores the north. When I lived there I couldn't believe the number from both areas who had never ventured the short distance between Hobart and Launceston.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 2:28pm Im sorry Vortex but I strongly disagree. The reason the Federal Govt should fund the new stadium is its investing in the states future. Just consider the number of jobs and new industry a stadium and its own AFL team would create for Tasmania/Hobart. A financially stronger Tasmania means a stronger Fed Govt. It could even be a stimulus for Hobart's population growth and the flow on is endless. They might even justify re-establishing their passenger train network.

Tasmania is a great part of Australia, they are a passionate AFL state and after what they have done for the game they deserve their own team, supported by the AFL, the State and Federal Governments. Tasmania has a population of 545,000 thats twice that of the Geelong region and they have their own team and stadium which was state & federally funded. They are very proud of their state so I would expect their membership numbers would be above the per capita ratio of other AFL states.

The stadium would also not just be used for AFL it would give the state a great platform to attract more main stream Australian Cricket games and any other sports and events they want to promote.

I also believe the AFL's long term goal is to continue to grow the competition team numbers with added teams from Adelaide, Perth and possibly Canberra and the NT. Ensure they have a real foot hold on the majority of the Australian sporting landcsape.
I have had a read of the engineering pre feasibility report prepared by Aurecon as well as a cursory glance at some of the cost benefit reports, which are docs I prepare or contribute to the preparation of on a daily basis, as such my BS meter nearly exploded.

If the asset as a commercially viable financial proposition was a deal too good to believe, then why aren't private investors tripping over themselves to jump on the gravy train more than they have?

Answer, it only works if it is propped up with SIGNIFICANT tax payer money.

Claims it will be great for jobs makes me shudder like I did when I last heard 3 word slogans rolled out by dodgy politicians such as "Jobz N Growf"

All the other claims such as Tasmania being a proud Aussie state is emotional trickery and not deeply rooted in sensible financial decision making.

Tasmania should be given the license, they shouldn't be given $1 billion dollars of taxpayer money to build a stadium that could be spent on other greater community needs.

At the very least the Feds should delay the decision to fund by 5 years minimum and wait and see how the global economy performs.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the real story is the broadcasters want a Tasmanian side and a hermetically sealed venue to showcase its games. Everyone else falls in line, clubs railroaded. Not about the comp, not about inclusion it's streaming revenue and betting. Yours cynically, Y.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Currently the cost estimates for these types of projects are under by AT LEAST 30% but many are between 1.5 to 2.0 times over budget, so the fierce discussion being had in the halls of the Federal Parliament will be how do we fund the contingencies and overruns. It's very common to approve the funding knowing the budget estimates are significantly under as the politicians work on the time honoured principle of, "it is better to seek forgiveness than it is to seek permission".

Make no mistake about it, this project will require at least $1.5 billion.

Back pocket change huh.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

As sure as death and taxes. Tassie were always going to get a team. Investment by govt was also a Monty

The afl is a cash cow for our southern state ,an investment that will inject millions of dollars in tourism in the coming years,construction of accommodation etc
Anyone who thinks otherwise is ..well ..not as smart as they think they are 😉
Last edited by The Fireman on Thu 27 Apr 2023 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 5:48pm Maybe the real story is the broadcasters want a Tasmanian side and a hermetically sealed venue to showcase its games. Everyone else falls in line, clubs railroaded. Not about the comp, not about inclusion it's streaming revenue and betting. Yours cynically, Y.
Nailed it, it's all about what will look good on TV, the AFL know that and the only way the Tasmanian team will fill their coffers is if they turn the Tasmanian side into a TV and gambling product.

It's an awesome business model and pure genius, get the tax payer to stump up the insane amount of cash for the lemon of an asset because that's not where money is made, and then exploit the public asset to direct rivers of gold into the bank accounts of overseas companies that the AFL clip the ticket on.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

First off, I believe Tasmania should have a team in the AFL, but with regards to the building of a new stadium, there will be a lot of disgruntled locals if this is true. That money should be going to housing.

Tasmania is in the middle of a huge housing crisis and has been for several years now.
People have been camping out in the Showgrounds on a semi-permanent basis and Hobart is the most unaffordable city in Australia to rent.
Regional places like Devonport are struggling too because there is just not enough social housing and any type of rental is in short supply.
There were 9,000 people at the game in Hobart last Sunday, and less than 2 years ago when we played the Dockers there, there were barely 3000. Hawthorn and North played in Launceston the other week and drew 11000. I mean,come on, they're lower than Fitzroy and South Melbourne attendances in their darkest days. They could fit their crowds in a basketball stadium.

I think they should have a team, but I just think the Suns should relocate down there permanently, change their name, and they should use the Launceston ground or the oval we played the Dockers on.

I am now more convinced than ever that the Suns will NEVER succeed on the Gold Coast. I highly doubt whether they will ever play finals. I think Anderson and Bing will honour their current contracts and leave and play somewhere else. Even the Saints in the early 20th century were making finals when we weren't winless on the bottom of the ladder.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 6:07pm First off, I believe Tasmania should have a team in the AFL, but with regards to the building of a new stadium, there will be a lot of disgruntled locals if this is true. That money should be going to housing.

Tasmania is in the middle of a huge housing crisis and has been for several years now.
People have been camping out in the Showgrounds on a semi-permanent basis and Hobart is the most unaffordable city in Australia to rent.
Regional places like Devonport are struggling too because there is just not enough social housing and any type of rental is in short supply.
There were 9,000 people at the game in Hobart last Sunday, and less than 2 years ago when we played the Dockers there, there were barely 3000. Hawthorn and North played in Launceston the other week and drew 11000. I mean,come on, they're lower than Fitzroy and South Melbourne attendances in their darkest days. They could fit their crowds in a basketball stadium.

I think they should have a team, but I just think the Suns should relocate down there permanently, change their name, and they should use the Launceston ground or the oval we played the Dockers on.

I am now more convinced than ever that the Suns will NEVER succeed on the Gold Coast. I highly doubt whether they will ever play finals. I think Anderson and Bing will honour their current contracts and leave and play somewhere else. Even the Saints in the early 20th century were making finals when we weren't winless on the bottom of the ladder.
Housing is just one of the more deserving areas where abhorrently obscene amounts of Federal Funding should be directed, education Nationally is embarrassingly under funded, with Health also considerably more deserving of our tax payer money.

The lobby group behind this push for the Tasmanian licence couldn't give a stuff about Tasmania's football needs, it's all about the rivers of cash they stand to direct into their offshore bank accounts. And I tips me lid to em these lobbyist's , they are good at what they do, their first battle is always to win the hearts N minds of the gullible, and that was won years ago when they had average Joe Blow tax payer living in some busted arse town in regional Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia all agree it is time Tasmania was given an AFL team, because they deserve it, because they are a "traditional heartland"...makes me want to vomit how gullible and easy to manipulate we the people have become.

Killa
Club Player

Back in the day the VFL, the VFA, SA, WA and Tasmania competed in the National Championship every 4 years, there then being no State of Origin regime at that time so players lined up against their State of origin based on which Competition they competed in.

Tasmania are a foundation stone of Australian Rules Football - along with Victoria, South Australia and West Australia.

And look at the players they have provided to the VFL/AFL (including to St Kilda).

That they take their place in the Australian Football League competition is right and proper.

History dictates this.

In regards a suitable facility (and noting the support for the facilities enjoyed by all Clubs in the Competition - including St Kilda), the requirement is facilities equal to the facilities afforded to players across the Competition.

The description being "facilities", facilities which will include public amenity (as we see with St Kilda).

We see sporting facilities constructed across the Nation, and enhanced now to accommodate female participation.

Governments provide the funding, along with other entities such as Local Councils.

It is right and proper that Governments, both Federal and State, so fund, because government is not exclusively about the Balance Sheet (and not spending money).

It is also about society and public amenity, so the Arts and sport as start points.

I would suggest that the criticism of Federal Government (part) funding for a facility for Hobart, Tasmania we see on this site is attributed to the disappearing numbers that continue to vote Liberal, nothing more and nothing less.

The interesting thing will be if the AFL decision is for 19 sides, and if there are applications to field a 20th side.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 27 Apr 2023 6:52pm Back in the day the VFL, the VFA, SA, WA and Tasmania competed in the National Championship every 4 years, there then being no State of Origin regime at that time so players lined up against their State of origin based on which Competition they competed in.

Tasmania are a foundation stone of Australian Rules Football - along with Victoria, South Australia and West Australia.

And look at the players they have provided to the VFL/AFL (including to St Kilda).

That they take their place in the Australian Football League competition is right and proper.

History dictates this.

My understanding is that footy is NOTHING like it used to be in Tassie. I can’t recall too many great players coming out of there in the past 10-15years. It’s an emotional argument made by former players who originated from there like Roo. But the reality is that we don’t need a Tassie team and I don’t believe they’ve done anything significant to deserve one, let alone have a billion dollar stadium for a population of that size. Madness