Jade, staying or going

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jade, staying or going

From the age.com.au

"Hawthorn loom as a strong contender if St Kilda’s restricted free agent Jade Gresham chooses to explore his options at season’s end.

Gresham’s management is yet to start contract talks with Saints list boss Stephen Silvagni, but plans to do so soon, according to a source familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Jade Gresham could be on the radar of Hawthorn’s recruiters.

Jade Gresham could be on the radar of Hawthorn’s recruiters.Credit: AFL Photos

The Hawks have a mountain of salary cap space that would enable them to outbid any other suitor for the 25-year-old, with industry sources believing he will be in high demand if he does not agree to a new deal with St Kilda."

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jade, staying or going

"I love this club, all its done for me, support through injuries and its respect for Indigenous players. These are my brothers and we are going places. Where do I sign."
Or words to that effect is what this correspondent speculated Jade was thinking.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Total speculation. Apart from the obvious, why the hell would he got to Hawthorn?

Does The Age ever get anything right? A terrible newspaper but then again all newspapers are terrible these days.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 11:44am Total speculation. Apart from the obvious, why the hell would he got to Hawthorn?

Does The Age ever get anything right? A terrible newspaper but then again all newspapers are terrible these days.
Where did it say he’s going to Hawthorn or even considering them? It didn’t. It merely stated they have heaps of salary cap space and would be interested in him.

My opinion is that he’s a very handy small fwd who can pinch hit through the midfield if required. . I wouldn’t have thought anything over 600k. I’d be starting at 500k if I was SOS

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Does he have 30-40 goals in him in a season? Not in our current side.
Is he part of a core midfield rotation? No.
Does he have the potential to break open a game, be unpredictable, and destroy opposition teams. Yes. Is that worth 700k a year? Not without being able to do it when the chips are down (like a Dusty)

I think he has more value to other clubs than us. Does that mean he should leave? No.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought Carlton would hold the greatest interest in him. They really wanted Papley and the lack of a quality small showed against us.

Hawthorn need alot so, yes, they would be interested.

Port would be interested, as would the Dogs.

If Gresham does not wish to stay then let's pray for a bidding war.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't break the bank to keep him.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hard to see clubs in a bidding war for him. If by some miracle it happens all good for us. But here we are musing over a baseless media filler story.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 1:39pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 11:44am Total speculation. Apart from the obvious, why the hell would he got to Hawthorn?

Where did it say he’s going to Hawthorn or even considering them? It didn’t. It merely stated they have heaps of salary cap space and would be interested in him.

My opinion is that he’s a very handy small fwd who can pinch hit through the midfield if required. . I wouldn’t have thought anything over 600k. I’d be starting at 500k if I was SOS
A nothing burger, but you like those don’t you..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 2:14pm I would have thought Carlton would hold the greatest interest in him. They really wanted Papley and the lack of a quality small showed against us.

Now here is a thought.

Instead of chasing low hanging fruit from the other 17 sides, why don't we just hang onto our own very talented footballers and pay them what the club thinks they are worth.

And not what posters on here think they are worth.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Best mates with Roma, well supported by the club through lean times.

Would doubt he’s going anywhere.

Rated much higher internally, than on here one would assume.

Every player out of contract or approaching free agency should undertake due diligence to understand their opportunities in the market.

Can’t see why a player starved of success would want to leave a club who is just starting to show signs of dramatic improvement for a potential few extra dollars if that was the case.

I’m guessing Jade stays and signs a two-three year extension.

We are going to improve by retaining and adding talent, not replacing it.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 2:55pm
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 2:14pm I would have thought Carlton would hold the greatest interest in him. They really wanted Papley and the lack of a quality small showed against us.

Now here is a thought.

Instead of chasing low hanging fruit from the other 17 sides, why don't we just hang onto our own very talented footballers and pay them what the club thinks they are worth.

And not what posters on here think they are worth.
Sorry saynta, why does your thought come with my quote? What low hanging fruit was I chasing? Where did I say we jettison "our very own talented footballers"?

We should only pay Gresham what he's worth. If another Club wants him badly enough, then they will need to pay overs. This, ultimately, allows us some form of compensation...rather than being held to ransom and paying overs.

St Kilda has paid enough "overs" in recent years.

ace
Saintsational Legend

He would only go to Hawthorn if he had no ambition to play finals but was content to just run around the park and collect a heap of money.
Hawthorn, North and West Coast will never be contenders again in Jade's playing lifetime.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Age has only ever had three uses.
Back when I was kid

1. The fish and chip shop would wrap them in grease proof paper and then in The Age.
Eventually it was deemed too un hygienic.

2. You would lay The Age out on the kitchen floor, tip your kitchen rubbish bin contents on top, wrap it up and put in the main rubbish bin.
This practice was later replaced with plastic bags, but think of the plastic bags that would save it were to return.

3. You would leave a few copies of the The Age in the WC so that if you ran out of toilet paper you had a substitute.
Potential problems with printer ink and cheap price and availability of proper toilet paper caused this practice to cease.

So to summarise The Age is now not fit to wrap your food in, not fit to wrap your rubbish in and not fit to wipe your ar$e on.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
BadRossco
Club Player

We do have plenty of ball butchers in Jones, Ross and Paton just to mention a few, so could afford to lose Jade if the compensation was good

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think he’s been used correctly

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 3:39pm

The Age has only ever had three uses.
Back when I was kid

1. The fish and chip shop would wrap them in grease proof paper and then in The Age.
Eventually it was deemed too un hygienic.

2. You would lay The Age out on the kitchen floor, tip your kitchen rubbish bin contents on top, wrap it up and put in the main rubbish bin.
This practice was later replaced with plastic bags, but think of the plastic bags that would save it were to return.

3. You would leave a few copies of the The Age in the WC so that if you ran out of toilet paper you had a substitute.
Potential problems with printer ink and cheap price and availability of proper toilet paper caused this practice to cease.

So to summarise The Age is now not fit to wrap your food in, not fit to wrap your rubbish in and not fit to wipe your ar$e on.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
OK. I hear you. I promise not to post any more Age articles. 8-) :mrgreen:

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

If he plays finals, I can't see him leaving because Hawthorn won't be playing finals for years.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Killa
Club Player

So “Ace”, has it degenerated to your descriptions post Peter Costello becoming Chair of the Phoenix 9 Entertainment?

If that is your finding, I agree with you

Rubyjo
Club Player

I'd like to trade him ..if we can get a good second round pick for him. He is in the same basket as Jones ..total hit and miss players who lack the consistency needed . We need to find better players and need to trade people like Gresham to find them . He is really a 50 /50 player .one good game one poor game ..it's not good enough and wouldn't surprise me if Ross trades him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Would only trade if the deal was right
If he takes unders and shows his loyalty then keep

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I want Gresh to stay, he is a very talented, quick and attacking player with real x factor....we are pretty vanilla, so he is important and makes things happen usually

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thing is that successful teams need a Jade Gresham type in big matches to pull a big moment out of nothing or throw in a match winning performance here and there.

Think 09-10. Take Dempster and Eddy out of those GF teams and throw in now Gresh - we won both games.

Heck we gave up our first pick in 09 to get Lovett who it was hoped could do that.

Happy to acknowledge that players of this style and build tend to have the same problem… that is that you can freeze them. They’re vulnerable to it. Sometimes they overcome it… other times not. It comes with the territory.

Personally… I think the kids a winner and I want to see him stay put.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think you have erred in underestimating Dempster’s value to the team in 2010.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we let Gresh go we'll spend the next few years looking for a Gresh replacement and probably come up short. He's had a very tough go with injuries and is now finally getting some continuity, hitting his physical prime and is also adjusting to a new role after playing mostly as a mid since 2019. He's had some poor moments this year but he's also getting plenty of the footy, kicking goals and is second on our list for goal assists. I don't blame him for delaying contract talks as there's every chance he wins a few games off his own boot and ends the year averaging 20 touches while kicking 30+ goals.

If he wants to be playing fulltime mid then that could be a reason for him to seek opportunities elsewhere. There could also be a team trying to push through to the next level and they feel that they desperately lack an x-factor small forward and are willing to pay big money for it.

I say we should absolutely keep him unless someone is offering ridiculous money that we can't justify matching, in which case we'll at least be getting a first round compo pick along with a decent chunk of our own cap space freed up.