Team vs Hawthorn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Team vs Hawthorn

In: Paton (from sub)
Out: Owens

Sub from: Membrey, Cordy, Campbell, Sharman

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Team vs Hawthorn

Interesting that Membrey is an emergency. You have to assume he has been deemed not best 22 this week right?

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Very surprised Membrey isn't in the side. Be interesting if they make him the sub.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Very interesting, I would have thought he'd be named on the bench and a late exclusion if he doesn't pull up after Friday's session or the concussion protocols.

You generally name a player who is a chance.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Wow! Thought a couple more changes may be on the cards but great to have stability in the first 22 and confidence in getting the job done
Also drives real competition for spots

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Wow! Thought a couple more changes may be on the cards but great to have stability in the first 22 and confidence in getting the job done

#1 Ryder fan
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It appears Membrey may not be best 24 if we, rightly, suspect Owens is best 22.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 7:30pm In: Paton (from sub)
Out: Owens

Sub from: Membrey, Cordy, Campbell, Sharman
Would be very easy to get pissed off with those selections, or more correctly, non selections

on the outer
Club Player

Not much speed to bring in late in the game with whoever they choose as the sub from those four,

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 7:34pm Wow! Thought a couple more changes may be on the cards but great to have stability in the first 22 and confidence in getting the job done
Yeah but competition drops off if form isn’t rewarded

Personally I’m very frustrated that Bytel, Windy and now Billings aren’t getting opportunity whilst others that aren’t playing that well seem to be locks.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I don't think Membrey will be sub.
If they're worred about him getting another high hit, well, it will happen when he tries a contested mark and the guy behind tries to spoil.
So he's not coming in, for mine.

But I'm guessing

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 8:27pm
MC Gusto wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 7:34pm Wow! Thought a couple more changes may be on the cards but great to have stability in the first 22 and confidence in getting the job done

Personally I’m very frustrated that Bytel, Windy and now Billings aren’t getting opportunity whilst others that aren’t playing that well seem to be locks.
At the risk of upsetting folks, Ross should be dropped for Windy or Bytel.
He got 12 touches last wk

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Members banged his head pretty hard. Good idea to bring him back after the bye

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Windhager vs Paton?

I'd prefer Windhager as a tagger/ mid rotation who can go forward over Ben Paton who is really a lock down small defender and not much more than that.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 8:44pm Windhager vs Paton?

I'd prefer Windhager as a tagger/ mid rotation who can go forward over Ben Paton who is really a lock down small defender and not much more than that.
Agree.
Not bagging Paton, he worked really hard after the leg, but he just doesn't seem to have the tools

George27
Club Player

With Stocker rightly embedded in the starting 18, and Webster back , the elevation of Paton into the 22 this week suggests Sinclair will play in the middle full time , with Paton the 7th defender.
Last edited by George27 on Thu 25 May 2023 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

realdeal
Club Player

Agreed... A good team is its squad. Not just picking the same 22 unless there's an injury. Esp when our form has dipped or at the very least could be better.

Loveing RTB but surely there has to be the odd rotation of old or young players to keep them fresh. Not to mention rewarding solid form in vfl.

You cant tell me bar the injury to Owens this

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am guilty of ‘goer bias’

Paton and Byrnes
Byrnesy really has a go..
Ditto Paton

I am also guilty of ‘Steady Pro’ bias

Ross always prepares and looks the goods..
He’s sharp and plays each moment with a steady hand

Sometimes it ain’t much

And I’m guilty of ‘battler Bias’

Josh Battle and Brad Crouch and George Paton
Paton gets two categories

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 8:44pm Windhager vs Paton?

Yeah me too.

I’m struggling to see what Paton could do that Windhager couldn’t match. Whereas vice versa… well it’s not close

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 9:20pm I am guilty of ‘goer bias’

Paton and Byrnes
Ditto Paton

Sometimes it ain’t much

The challenge I have with Byrnes is that his peak game was round 1 one and even though he’s had a few close games with numbers…
But in terms of performance, IMO he hasn’t gotten close to matching that peak performance. I think it’s kind of a case of in terms of actually being damaging… the variance is too great at the moment. Byrnes potentially could be the type that is left on is own as they double team Sincs and has 25 without being much of a problem.

If I was an opposition coach… Byrnes appeals to me as a player to target that could easily be put off his game. Whilst he has gone from the delist zone to def keep on the list for another year or two…
But at the same time I’d like to see him spend some time at Sandy specifically working on quality of touches rather than quantity.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 9:12pm

Agreed... A good team is its squad. Not just picking the same 22 unless there's an injury. Esp when our form has dipped or at the very least could be better.

Loveing RTB but surely there has to be the odd rotation of old or young players to keep them fresh. Not to mention rewarding solid form in vfl.

You cant tell me bar the injury to Owens this
I don’t think competition drops off if form isn’t awarded in afl. These guys have one key goal…first 22. After that it’s down to how far you can take it but other than say the odd player who may be perennially under rewarded / underrated at a specific club I would argue competitive drives performance.

#1 Ryder fan
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 9:40pm

Paton and Byrnes
Ditto Paton

Sometimes it ain’t much

The challenge I have with Byrnes is that his peak game was round 1 one and even though he’s had a few close games with numbers…
But in terms of performance, IMO he hasn’t gotten close to matching that peak performance. I think it’s kind of a case of in terms of actually being damaging… the variance is too great at the moment. Byrnes potentially could be the type that is left on is own as they double team Sincs and has 25 without being much of a problem.

If I was an opposition coach… Byrnes appeals to me as a player to target that could easily be put off his game. Whilst he has gone from the delist zone to def keep on the list for another year or two…
But at the same time I’d like to see him spend some time at Sandy specifically working on quality of touches rather than quantity.
Fair enough S

Can’t say I disagree with much of that

But I can’t see how VFL time will turn him into a better kick. (If that’s the issue) He might be trained to turn this way or that, or not to do this or that, but basic disposal skills..I think it’s too late. He is a speedy player..a touch like another forgotten player who is still actually on our list - Zac Jones, sans the towball aggression .

So JB must be really down the pub with his manager as I write these (famous) words, asking about that offer from Essendon and North.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:02pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 9:40pm

Paton and Byrnes
Ditto Paton

Sometimes it ain’t much

Fair enough S

Can’t say I disagree with much of that

But I can’t see how VFL time will turn him into a better kick. (If that’s the issue) He might be trained to turn this way or that, or not to do this or that, but basic disposal skills..I think it’s too late. He is a speedy player..a touch like another forgotten player who is still actually on our list - Zac Jones, sans the towball aggression .

So JB must be really down the pub with his manager as I write these (famous) words, asking about that offer from Essendon and North.
I’m not sure if it’s quality of disposal opposed to more adept decision making. I’d like him him to slow down a touch when he has the ball and make better decisions as to where to direct that, pinpoint or not.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

My first post against Ross the boss. There is much better players on the list than Paton. Doesn’t use it well and doesn’t have great physical present. Isn’t quick. I’m pissed off with that selection

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

on the outer wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 7:44pm Not much speed to bring in late in the game with whoever they choose as the sub from those four,
I’ve been wondering about this for the last month - is the sub better being a tall rather than a mid ?

I’m not sure that any of the mids we have had as subs have made much of a difference.
But tall guys can make an impact - a big mark up,forward against a tiring defensive, a saving mark in defence, a deft tap at a ruck contest, crashing a pack and spoiling a mark in the middle of the ground. I’d be keen to try a taller option. Don’t howl me down but bringing Cordy on as a sub when his legs are fresh and the defence is tiring might just be enough to get us an extra goal or 2 late in the game and give Ro a much needed chop out.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.