Sub strategy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sub strategy

Seems like something we have struggled both this time round and in previous incarnations of it.

Coops seemed like a good choice originally… could have replaced Butler/Gresh/Higgins if they were freezed out…

He could have replaced Wood on the wing if he went down or he could sit on a HBF if Webster went down.

The absolute one role he was completely unsuited for was to come on for the one mid we have that’s a balance between inside and outside.

Thinking further back…
Bytel has been in the sub role a few times. Seems an odd choice to bring in another slower inside mid, usually replacing not a like for like.

Windy and Paton have played it too… defensive minded player or on flank seems like it’s more useful all the way through as opposed to coming on late.

Any way…
All of that aside, whose the player or players on our list best suited for this type of role

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sub strategy

Expect Cooper and Bytel to be delisted at seasons end so probably the selection of a sub for the remainder of tbe year will be as challenging as it was for the first half of tbe season due to the cupboard being extremely and desperately bare.

Harsh but just where out list is at.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:32pm Expect Cooper and Bytel to be delisted at seasons end so probably the selection of a sub for the remainder of tbe year will be as challenging as it was for the first half of tbe season due to the cupboard being extremely and desperately bare.

If the cupboard is that bare, neither Sharman or Bytel will be de-listed.

Perhaps you should refrain from stating what you wish for as being a fact.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:37pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:32pm Expect Cooper and Bytel to be delisted at seasons end so probably the selection of a sub for the remainder of tbe year will be as challenging as it was for the first half of tbe season due to the cupboard being extremely and desperately bare.

Gee everyone is testy on this board presently, its an opinion, use your words and try and articulate your counter.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:41pm

Gee everyone is testy on this board presently, its an opinion, use your words and try and articulate your counter.
Good point
I think you’re wrong.

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Two points to discuss here - subs and delisting.

Yes it seems we have gotten the sub (player and timing) wrong more often than not. I still think it should be used to mitigate risk from injury and have the sub as a player in an role we are most at risk. There aren't many "super sub" stories in the competition at the moment.

You also need to make sure players that need full games in the VFL get them. You can't just play one player as a sub the whole season unless you significantly change the way you go about subs, and build/train the body for a 30min burst.

On delisting, it probably needs its own thread, but we will want to take 3 draft picks, elevate 3 rookies that have been on the list 3 years (Heath, Sharman, Wood), and leave ourselves room for a supplemental or MSD pick. The list is currently full.

I think the club would do something like this:

Rookie Elevate: Wood, Heath
Rookie Delist and re-draft: Sharman

Need to delist 5 to go to the preseason draft. The rookie spots can be used for SSP and MSD. I'm not sure on contract status.

Delist or Trade 5 of the following: Billings, Jones, McKenzie, Campbell, Highmore, Connolly, Bytel

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 12:24am
Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:41pm

Good point
I think you’re wrong.
Free word slogans...Ross My Boss...Yah Ross!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

4 emergencies and not one is suitable to be the sub. What the f*** are they thinking down at Linton Street.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:29pm 4 emergencies and not one is suitable to be the sub. What the f*** are they thinking down at Linton Street.
What type of player should the sub be Saynta?

saint4life
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 9:10am Two points to discuss here - subs and delisting.

Yes it seems we have gotten the sub (player and timing) wrong more often than not. I still think it should be used to mitigate risk from injury and have the sub as a player in an role we are most at risk. There aren't many "super sub" stories in the competition at the moment.

You also need to make sure players that need full games in the VFL get them. You can't just play one player as a sub the whole season unless you significantly change the way you go about subs, and build/train the body for a 30min burst.

On delisting, it probably needs its own thread, but we will want to take 3 draft picks, elevate 3 rookies that have been on the list 3 years (Heath, Sharman, Wood), and leave ourselves room for a supplemental or MSD pick. The list is currently full.

Need to delist 5 to go to the preseason draft. The rookie spots can be used for SSP and MSD. I'm not sure on contract status.

Delist or Trade 5 of the following: Billings, Jones, McKenzie, Campbell, Highmore, Connolly, Bytel
pretty certain Sharman has had his papers stamped.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:32pm
saynta wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:29pm 4 emergencies and not one is suitable to be the sub. What the f*** are they thinking down at Linton Street.
Someone who is can play a number of positions or

a midfielder or a small forward, so Connolly or Peris imhfo.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:35pm
Otiman wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 9:10am Two points to discuss here - subs and delisting.

Rubbish. More of your s*** like Bytel is going to be delisted.

What, 11 games into a season?

Do you post such garbage to appear to have inside information or just to give the rest of us the s***s?

If it's the second, you are succeeding,

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:37pm
chook23 wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:32pm
Someone who is can play a number of positions or

a midfielder or a small forward, so Connolly or Peris imhfo.
Paton? Can play wing or back. Freeing up. Others to go forward or mid such as Sinclair.

Membrey- plays HF and frees up owens to go on the ball.

Sharman as above but had also played wing and back in the past.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:42pm

Do you post such garbage to appear to have inside information or just to give the rest of us the s***s?

It disturbs me greatly that my anonymous musings are disrupting your bowel movements in such an uncontrollable manner, is there somewhere I can donate some seniors nappies?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:57pm

It disturbs me greatly that my anonymous musings are disrupting your bowel movements in such an uncontrollable manner, is there somewhere I can donate some seniors nappies?
Haha, you trying to mirror your hero teffers with your ageist rubbish?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pick a runner as a sub

So they can come on and use fresh legs

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 9:34pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 8:57pm

Haha, you trying to mirror your hero teffers with your ageist rubbish?
There can be only 1…

“Yeah….nah””
happy feet
Club Player

I think the decision to acquire nuclear submarines from the USA and the UK is a great strategy only 20 years too late……. Oops wrong forum…..

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

List management is pretty simple, fit a player into one of these categories. Figure out how many you need of each, and delist the bottom players in each category.

- Best 22
- Depth Only
- Developing Depth
- Developing - not ready yet
- Project Player

Is Bytel a depth only player, or is he still developing? At 23 years old and 21 games he's gotta be borderline. Not saying he should be delisted, but he's in the discussions.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well… Coops really bounced back in the sub role this week.

The obvious difference is that it was a like for like replacement with Caminati going off as opposed to a midfielder and Coops worked all across the ground with good good impact.

I wonder if Pou might be a decent choice for sun at some point if he gets tired. Seems like the kind of player that has the attributes to come on after players have started to tire and impact instantly. M
Food for thought

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sharman was very good when he came on as the sub so i'm not sure it's possible to nominate the best sub, especially when we fluke it for like for like.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I think we have a few really well suited sub types.

Jones - ideal sub if he ever gets fit.
Can impact with pace and aggression if he comes on in the 3rd or 4th when the heat is out of the game.

Could play on ball, small back or forward if required.

Byrnes - similar to Jones, much better runner.

Billings- another if he can get fit.
Could impact forward, wing and maybe half back.
Could hit the scoreboard.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Saintmike65
Club Player

I think you’ll find Billings & Gresham won’t be at the club next year..heard a whisper Webster will retire..Cambell likely gone if we get TDK..Highmore & Connelly likely delisted.
I think Sharman & Allison are contracted!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bump

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 10 Jun 2023 9:53am
I think you’ll find Billings & Gresham won’t be at the club next year..heard a whisper Webster will retire..Cambell likely gone if we get TDK..Highmore & Connelly likely delisted.
I think Sharman & Allison are contracted!!
Some hot takes there.

Gresham would be a disappointing loss as for all of his limitations, he’s a point of difference for us.

Webster would be a big loss as has been fantastic… not sure we have a like for like there… especially if Highmore goes. Coffield I guess?

Campbell and Connelly don’t appear to be in the future plans.
Billings pbly needs or wants a change… I wonder where he’s going?

Allison lucky to be contracted

Seems like Bytel and Coops will survive another year based on this