Ross's Presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Ross's Presser

I just watched it and I thought he was brutally honest which in my opinion is a good thing.
Also said that a lot of our skill problems won't get solved until pre season where they will have more time to work on them.
Plus said we have really missed Membrey who would be a real help to Caminiti, Phillipou and Owens.
Also acknowledged how badly our offence has become and that needs to improve.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross's Presser

He should have said "Preseason starts tomorrow" - I suspect the team got a similar story.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He said "The same guys making the same mistakes". Also, clearly frustrated by decision making going inside 50. Mentioned that we had 5 forwards with not many games between them and that Phillipou and Caminiti had taken a big load for first year players.

He's seen enough now to make some serious assessments on individuals. He knows very well that we need more class, players with better skills and decision making.

I think we underestimate how difficult it is with such a young forward line. Today we the most inexperienced forward half in the comp. Four teenagers and a 22 year old who's played 21 games .

Lyon also said that Peris learned the difference between VFL and AFL standard today. I'm not sure if that means that he was disappointed in his performance.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He was fantastic and honest - absolutely loved it
Took full accountability but was clearly honest where this list is at
His pointed comment that we have a few who turn up each week….but nowhere near enough support for the Sinclairs Steeles etc ….he KNOWS who he wants and when he said the same culprits making the same mistakes each week….expect real change eve year
I don’t think he gives a toss about finals telling members- way we are playing now we don’t deserve to and wont trouble anyone
His comments that 2 goals in a half is unacceptable was brutally honest
Gone from 5th in league to forward 50 attack/effectiveness to near last ….that’s gotta be the improvement
Interesting his comment …it’s a decisions and execution game….saying you don’t have 1 way to attack into 50 abd players bringing ball forwards need to know when to make the correct decision ie don’t kick to a 2 on 1….but our players keep doing it (I don’t think he thinks they’re the smartest group getting around…hence why they’re “very coachable”)
He also lamented they over handballed early (clearly not the instructions) and went slow when we shoulda gone fast…
It’s not a quick fix that’s for sure but we absolutely have the right guy
His comment that coaching group also needs to get better was interesting….I reckon forwards coach Harvs be copping some heat..
I can see why the prez backed this guy long term

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What I got from that is that Gresham will have to accept St Kilda's terms or he's out. Getting paid as an A grader and producing C grade results.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Middling team that overperforms via enthusiasm then fades as the year goes on that's okay- everyone is learning a lot and we have someone leading us who is prepared to make the hard calls.

Some thoughts from today.

*Peris to me looked exposed from an endurance/strength perspective- good efforts but not AFL hard. Will be better for it if he gets to stick around.

*Pou was lively early- another who will have learned plenty.

*Stocker imo lacks polish at times and whilst a value player to have on the list I'd prefer him playing with Sandy next year.

*Gresham still massively frustrates me

*Clark is one of our classiest players.

*Players like Billings are severely underrated on here- his ball use is what we need more of.

I'd make a few changes for next week.

Out
Peris: you've had the taste, go build your game to another level now
Hammer: Needs a spell, trying but young
Pou: as above
Jones: move to sub
Stocker: see how he responds in the twos

In
Higgins
Heath
Hayes
Paton
Clark

Brings a bit more experience and size to our forward line. Clark and Jones swap roles. Hayes to chop out ruck.

Webster, Wilkie, Howard
Sinclair, Battle, Milera
Wood, Steele, Hill
Gresh, Hayes, Butler
Higgins, Heath, Sharman

Marshall, Owens, Clark

Byrnes, Crouch, Windy, Paton

Sub: Jones

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nobhead
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 11:38pm What I got from that is that Gresham will have to accept St Kilda's terms or he's out. Getting paid as an A grader and producing C grade results.
Its about time that lyon has come out publicly and said it how it is.now follow through and do something about it.get trade or delist the players that are not up to it bring in players that are.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:33pmI think we underestimate how difficult it is with such a young forward line. Today we the most inexperienced forward half in the comp. Four teenagers and a 22 year old who's played 21 games .
It stood out like dog balls that we would miss a big, strong experienced body up forward today. Unfortunately there’s very few options.

Hayes, not fit yet. Cordy concussed. Campbell? Maybe ruck depth only. Who have I missed? Maybe that is it.

Anyway, the season is slipping away from us rapidly and that’s to be expected given our injuries.

On the plus side, we are getting games into players who I feel are going to be very important down the track. Owens, Caminiti, Phillipou, Sharman. Perhaps all of them will be future guns. Just not this year.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Peris (19) Owens (19) Phillipou (18)
Sharman Caminiti (19) Butler

or

Higgins Hayes Billings
Membrey King Butler

A big difference in experience and physical strength

However, the issue is still a bigger one in the midfield and the way we deliver the ball inside 50.

Bin Chicken
Club Player

We missed Higgins so much today. Numerous times we’d get into the 50 and it came to nought. He gives that extra leading option or an X factor. Even King not playing made it tough despite him being out of form recently.

Saint2
Club Player

Lyon sounded like a man who has run out of ideas- pretty unimpressive I thought.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The probllem with RTB suddenly blaming skill is that he's said loud and clear in the past that he doesn't coach skill, he coaches effort.

With effort comes skill, as the team proved in the opening rounds.

When the effort trails off, so does the skill. The effort was there when they were scared of him.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon blasted his stuttering side as a “fumbling, stumbling mess” and lashed its worrying lack of offence after a listless defeat to Gold Coast on Saturday.

The Saints have now lost four out of their past five and could be out of the top eight by the end of the round following the 26-point loss to the Suns at Carrara.

“I’m bitterly disappointed for our fans and members,” Lyon said post-game.

“We take full ownership; players are flat as tacks.

“There were no recriminations, (but) they beat us around the ball, we’re more predictable with our ball use, we’ve lost our offence totally.

“It’s unacceptable kicking two goals to half-time to be honest, but I think after quarter-time we had more entries so it is what it is.”

The Suns won the contested ball 153-130 and were all over the Saints from the opening bounce, with Lyon bemoaning his side’s skill level and lack of composure.

“I thought our intensity was OK early, but look I thought we were a fumbling, stumbling mess,” he said.

“We were a bit predictable and clearly over-handballed that invited pressure, but a lot of the handballs were there and they just went to the feet or missed.

“Under pressure we just invented some crappy handballs.

“For how dominant they were in the first quarter we still had some golden opportunities in our front half that just went out on the full or we had dropped marks.

“We just spoke about how our offence has gradually slipped from seventh to ninth to 12th, to 15th.

“And we’ve been the most inefficient team all year in the forward 50, so we can’t hide away from that.

“We need to improve or it’s going to be hard work, it’s like beating your head against a brick wall.”

Lyon would not entertain any talk of finals following the loss as he worried about pulling his side out of its form slump.

“We play like we did today and we won’t challenge North Melbourne next week,” he said.

“Early in the year we earned it (talk of playing finals), but at the minute I’m not even thinking about it because really how we played today we’re not going to beat many teams.”

saint4life
realdeal
Club Player

Saint2 wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 7:40am Lyon sounded like a man who has run out of ideas- pretty unimpressive I thought.
Funny, because i thought it was his best press conference of the year.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

The benefit of all the Sun’s draft concessions was on full display yesterday. The core of their team are multiple Top 10 picks now maturing into quality players up agains our team where we have a core of second level imports from other teams, the odd top 10 pick but mostly top 20 + picks

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 7:40am Lyon sounded like a man who has run out of ideas- pretty unimpressive I thought.
The only thing of substance he said was that the coaches needed to improve.

The rest of it was just deflating crap, deflection or just stating the bleeding obvious.

What I wanted to know is why we keep getting worse from week to week.

I don't think he has an answer to that.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 16 Jul 2023 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I really think it's important to rate the coaches press conference. I try and pause the vision and try and assess each answer and analyse what the ramifications might mean for players and the team

I've got a badge of 'Ross Lyon' sitting behind the desk with all those microphones and the Sherrin with the McDonald's sponsorship.

Many times, I've missed the entire football match but I never miss a press conference

FFS... people

The less I see of the coach talking and making excuses the better

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Interesting to see how critical people are of Lyon.

Did you all expect him to wave a magic wand and our pumpkins turn into Geelong/Melbourne?

Effort is there, system stacks up, skills/execution letting us down. Reality is we can't afford many injuries, earlier in the year we surprised people with our discipline and fitness- now other sides have caught up in fitness so we can't get away with the injuries/lack of skill in our depth.

We desperately need more class with the ball. Clark stood out as did Billings ball use last week.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Effort is there, system stacks up
Effort wasn't there yesterday. We didn't turn up

System hasn't been stacking up for the last 8 weeks.

We haven't played good footy. We've won 2 games and one was against the wooden spooners who gave us an almighty scare

One of the worst games as a spectacle was the Sydney game. Somehow we got over the line with the Swans lacking confidence and their poor execution in the 3rd quarter keeping us in it

It's a repeat of last year after the bye.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Last year - it was the coach!

We changed that

This year - it’s the players

Should we change them?

In R6 - the coaches put together a great program
In r16 - we need to change the program

Last year
We overhauled the development program
This year
We need to fix the development program

Last year Rath was the problem
This year he’s gone - there’s still a problem

4 years ago it was Seaford

Has anyone ever considered that the problem runs deeper

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:38pm Last year - it was the coach!

We changed that

Should we change them?

Last year
This year

I think I already indicated that.

sks023
Club Player

We changed that

Should we change them?

Last year
This year

Must be some sort of spiritaul,supernatural s*** holding us back
Sometimes I genuinely think this club is cursed

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Why oh why isn't Ross Lyons magic wand working I hear you all bleet.

FFS he wasn't even here during the trade period and the draft.

The effort and system are absolutely stacking up. We're 6th and have had opportunities to win most games. Despite several challenges and a 6th to 12th quality list. (as it was last year)

IMO we are tracking to the below.

This year 6th to 12th
Next year 4th to 8th
2025 2nd to 6th

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We changed that

Should we change them?

Last year
This year

A poor club in a comp with too many clubs that survives (YET CONTRIBUTES TO) solely from the revenue from TV right, alcohol and gambling.

And in a country with a small population and 3 genuine footy states and a really small talent pool at the elite level. And a talent pool that is about to get much thinner with Tasmania coming in...not a good time for Ross to be rebuilding a list. On a side note the Tasmanian team will be another of your genuine TV and Gambling products like the other Franchise teams.

List building at our club has always proven to be the toughest assignment in elite sport, not too many have been successful at it in 150 years.

sks023
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:55pm Why oh why isn't Ross Lyons magic wand working I hear you all bleet.

FFS he wasn't even here during the trade period and the draft.

The effort and system are absolutely stacking up. We're 6th and have had opportunities to win most games. Despite several challenges and a 6th to 12th quality list. (as it was last year)

IMO we are tracking to the below.

This year 6th to 12th
Next year 4th to 8th
2025 2nd to 6th
Teams have worked out how to play against us

Look out kids, they keep it all hid